Basilisk

Personally I would love to see a bit more critical reviews.

I know most will review what they like but it would be kind of nice. I am not talking about stupid "it sux" reviews but objective well thought reviews.

I am not good at reviewing so count me out. If I was good at it I would be critical when a CD deserved it and positive when a CD deserved it. Not only positive ;)

273870[/snapback]

There >

http://www.psynews.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=24835

i wasn't particularly fond on that one, and once again im not sure a lot people bothered reading. This issue has come out before, and is not that people are out to get promos here or anything, but when u take the time to write something, is clearly more enjoyable when you like the music.... otherwise why bother?

You know, it pisses me off that your first comment was to point out that I hadn't started any 2005 reviews... here's the thing. I am not fishing for promos, so I just review things in my collection - and usually try to get to albums no one has really touched upon. It just so happens that I will review stuff from whatever year, going back a few, as long as I'm listening to it these days. Not only that, but I will review an album and not post the review - I'll leave in on my HD for months before picking up the album again, and consulting my review to see if I still feel the same. I think it gives me a far better perspective on the music's value than if I were to be doing factory reviews as the releases come out.

what does that have to do with the part you quoted from my post?? :blink:

I was merely pointing out that you complained that there were no new reviews and then I checked and saw you didn't start a single new review... kindof odd to complain about something you're not doing yourself IMO... And then you rub it in by saying that you need a while to get by so you can write a quality review (an idea with which I agree fully BTW)... but then, if everyone wated for some time before writing a quality review then it explains the main difference between this site and isratrance, no? I think you answered your own question... Don't mean to start a fight or anything...

PS Believe it or not, in spite all my reviews I haven't recieved ONE SINGLE promo deal! (probably because I don't hesitate to say that something sucks when I find it does, I guess lables aren't too comfortable with the idea of sending me a free CD so I could bash them with a harsh review)

Personally I would love to see a bit more critical reviews.

This I can agree on.. Lets keep a balanced view..

On the topic of actually writing the reviews Im afraid Im not really the ideally suited person since I mostly buy older stuff :)

To the argument wheter we should have long/detailed reviews or short ones. Well is it possible to include a 'vote/poll' function in each review?

That way the people wanting to read to long ones could do that, and the rest could just check ut the votes.

Well just my 2 cents.

Peace

Guest Rain

I write a lot of revieuws and long revieuws but in dutch and translating is no option...

to much work...

this is the dutch revieuw section where I review in...

@ lemmi... some people can't review you have to be good with words to keep it not boring... not everyone is made for revieuws I believe.... I noticed that...

when I write a revieuw I never have to think what I'm going to write but I undertand for people who do that it takes to long and to many effort to write a review...

you need to be a bit of a good writer imo ....

Seriously, I don't find this site remotely useful for reviews anymore... I'm always checking isratrance and waiting through all the back-scratching and mindlessness (every release iz killlllaaahhhh!). What's happening here people? There are new albums out all the time - why not deliver a few opinions once in a while... doesn't have to be anything formal, but it's nice to get a reading of what people are responding well to....

REVIEW SOME STUFF DAMNIT!

273732[/snapback]

i agree with you, i started some reviews like "cosmic tone - overwhelming" , it seems a lot of people listened to this album, yet there is only two reviews, same for "benza - benza", "analog pussy - trance n roll", "dark soho - light in the dark" <-- everyone says it's a bad album, then tell it in the review section, etc.

Yeah, I don't dig most psyreviews because they're too flowery and full of bullshit. Just give it to me straight up, like coffee.

Is it a good album? Similar to the bands previous albums?

Would I like it if I liked Band A?

Who does it sound like? What genre would it be classified under?

Rating?

Boom. There's a fucking review.

Is it a good album? Similar to the bands previous albums?

Would I like it if I liked Band A?

Who does it sound like? What genre would it be classified under?

Rating?

Boom. There's a fucking review.

yes... and the total amount of "fucking reviews" wrote by Archimedes is.........? :ph34r:

Anyway, back on topic, I agree that a poll would be a neat idea... BUT I checked and double checked and there is no way to change an existing topic into a poll... An issue would be to tell people to start only new polls as topics but then everyone should stick to the same system (ie. rating out of 5 or 10 or "bad/ average/ good/ classic" etc.). The problem being that if people don't stick to it (and new posters will probably not...) then the system is screwed... So if anyone has any (feasable) propositions?