Need for speed

What speed fit's yours style perfectly? what is the speed you like to dance to? If you play live/dj do you speed up or slow down - or keep it running at the same tempo the whole set?

For me it's:

142 bpm

Somehow, when I hit 142 all the girls flood the dancefloor, as if by magic. People have told me it's the "golden tempo", the sacred speed at which everyone can get involved. I guess it's a kind of a happy medium.

What's your favourite BPM?

anywhere from 138-145 is good enough for my taste... i enjoy faster stuff now and again, but if it's loud enough sometimes i feel i might get a heart-attack... i think i suffer from hyperactivity, so my heartbeat is already fast enough... im afraid how the situation will be in another 20 years :huh:

it is always interesting to start a set on the 138-140 and see how far you can gradually bring it up :D

Depends on the mood...!

When im up to stomp hard, i like 150-155, Azax Syndrome sorta shit :D

When at a outdoor in mid day, or early evening, like i a bmp of 142-145, Fatali sorta tunes, dreamy trippy :rolleyes:

PSY :ph34r:

I dont dance but any tempo can be good. Slow tunes from like 1993-94, 140-ish progressive of today, crazy 155 stuff, anything will do as long as it all fits together.

My latest track contains a part that is 200 bpm, but that part is in drum'n'bass style. 169 is even kinda slow for drum'n'bass. But if it's a 4/4 dance tune, it is insane for sure!

My latest track contains a part that is 200 bpm, but that part is in drum'n'bass style. 169 is even kinda slow for drum'n'bass. But if it's a 4/4 dance tune, it is insane for sure!

272168[/snapback]

obviusly if it is DN'B or jungle or even trip-hop we are talkin about different tempos... but a fullon kick at 169bpm, like i said earlier is heart-attack inducing :D

obviusly if it is DN'B or jungle or even trip-hop we are talkin about different tempos... but a fullon kick at 169bpm, like i said earlier is heart-attack inducing  :D

272176[/snapback]

yeah, but DnB & Jungle runs at a half of it's speed aswell. So it's like 90 over 180bpm if you get my drift. Beats run at 180, melodies and groove run at half that speed. So 4 on da floor 169 is definately savage shit indeed! :D

<125 Meditating, tripping, sleeping

126-135 - Chilling, relaxing

136-141 - "head nodding", dancing, anything really - just a typical track

142-148 - Dancing, "Stomping" - most songs that make me wanna dance are in this range

148-160 - Stomping like a nutter, having a really good time just getting really into the temp

160+ - depends on my mood, but I enjoy types of music that get into the 180 BPM range

Thats my breakdown on what bpms I like for what.

I think that your BPM is all very relative to what you're trying to acheive. Psytrance as it is already sounds tremendously fast for it's BPM. There are so many hits and hats that it sounds faster than any other type of dance music for its tempo. Also, you need to take into account that with trance, people stomp - usually a stomp to the left followed by a balancing stomp, and then a stomp to the right followed by another balancing stomp. This is the way I've noted most people dance to psy at parties.

If you think about it like that, then you realise that people need a certain amount of time to move to either side. :lol: I know it sounds funny, but really - it's like that. When the music gets to fast, you find yourself out of beat, sometimes falling about. This is especially true when you aren't feeling too sober or are tired and you misjudge your landings :P

OK, so that's something to concider when you're playing a set, but then its also dependent on how energetic the music is. The less energy it has, the harder people find it to keep up when the pitch slider is pushed up a notch.

I tend to find around 142 to usually be the the best for mixing energetic psy - at big parties anyway. I think you've got a good point there Mylo, it does seem to be the speed that most people can relate to. Every now and again, I think you should push it to maybe 146 or so, to get everyone going c-c-crazy but you have to bring it down again quite soonish or everyone will fall over or leave the floor from exhaustion.

i am soon to finish an 169 BMP track :)

btw i prefer 135-150 stuff...

but anything is good...

272148[/snapback]

That's a farkin wickid trip strip :D

• 2 weeks later...

i like

GREEN HOUSE EFFECT's: Confused (bpm 125)

PARASENSE's: Vesna (bpm 127)

and also like

MANDAVANDALAZ'S: U gotta make it (bpm 165)

BORIS BLEN'S: Portoment (bpm 160)

and then also like 145 bpm, even though its mostly used in the infamous full on, i find it pretty good. May be cause of its relation with the brain pulses.

depends on the mood. i like chillout stuff thats like 110 - 135. but when listening to to the nasty stuff (psykovsky, mandalavandalz, kindzadza, penta....all that evil stuff), i like it fast. 150 - 160 gets me off nicely :)