Experimental sounding minimal / chill?

zee_werp

Hi guys and girls

I am getting into the more chilled out side of psychedelic tunes. Lately I have been collecting some stuff which is pretty sweet, artists like Bluetech, Waterjuice, some Aphex Twin, Pan Sonic, etc. I enjoy this stuff, but I'm looking for more.

I've seen the 'chill reccomendation' posts here and checked out some of the artists, but I've found that a lot of the artists reccomended are along the lines of Shpongle, Bluetech etc. which are surely talented artists, but I'm looking for something different. A lot of the common chill artists have a typical bubbly, synthy, 'trippy' sound, and a lot of them use the same bass sounds.

What I am looking for is stuff that is simple but complex at the same time. I mean its structure is not over filled with notes, but it is something that sounds interesting and catches your attention. I like music that focuses a lot on having interesting tones / frequencies, nice resonance etc. that gets built into a tune.

Basically I'm just looking for some chill thats not the typical bubbly chill sound thats around at the moment. I'm especially interested in hearing some stuff with real instruments in it, or instrument / synth mix, but purely synth is ok too.

Any reccomendations would be greatly appreciated!!! Or if you know of any sites with forums that are more about psychedelc ambient music, let me know.

Thanks~!!!!

only synth:

Pete Namlook & Mixmaster Morris - Dreamfish

Pete Namlook & Geir Jenssen - The Fires of Ork

Spacetime Continuum - Sea Biscuit

The Future Sound of London - Lifeforms

synth/acoustic:

Celtic Cross - Hicksville

Amaruvision - Light Energy Performance

Ornament - Bleu

Subsurfing - Frozen Ants

Adham Shaikh & Tim Floyd - Drift

acoustic mainly:

Aluna - For the Love of the Deep Blue Sea

Brian Eno - Music For Airports

Harold Budd - The Room

hmm.. the only things that come to mind right now would be Gus Gus, and Boards of canada, specifically either (their first cd - music has the right children, or the ep "in a beatiful place in the country" which i consider their best work... Infinessence - (interchill Rec) is another option for IDM-ish compo's with a very unqiue sound i enjoy a lot.

edit:

it just came to me... Makyo and... electric birds, the last one is some interesting experimental...

Try:

Four Tet - Pause

Telefon Tel Aviv - Fahrenheit Fair Enough

Thievery Corporation - The Mirror Conspiracy / The Richest Man In Babylon

Kruder & Dorfmeister - K&D Sessions

Peach Orchestra - Reset

Arovane - Atol Scrap

Tipper - Surrounded

I just stumbled over a great release some days ago that certainly qualifies as experimental sounding minimal: "Mago - Definition of raw moments from a different perspective" (Ad Noiseam), I listened to it over and over again. This is possibly as deep and hypnotizing as it can get, sucking you right in, without getting boring at all. At the same time it´s quite melancholic, too. Very recommended.... I love it :)

If you want it experimental, with advanced sound processing techniques yet beautiful melodies, try the following records :

Fennesz - Venice (label = mego)

Markus Guentner - In Moll (label = kompakt)

Klimek - Milk & Honey (label - kompakt)

if you're looking for a change to the standard psy/chill/dub/ethno stuff I cannot recommend it more!

minimal experimental chill... there's a gazillion artists out there..

Global Communication

Pete Namlook

Atomheart

Steve Roach

Ryoji Ikeda

Zoviet France

Nurse with Wound

Tactile

(some) Coil

..for a start