Headphones again

Yes, this is another topic about headphones.

I need new ones.

Seriously. Because I'm running with them all the time and they get all sweaty and meanwhile they reek already (don't tell me now to clean them, I fucking bathed them already in water several times, it still gets worse and worse, I'm having them for about three years already ;) ) ... and they aren't suitable for high summer temperatures as my ears get soo hot with them on ... I want new ones.

PHILIPS SBC HP550, that's the model I have. I can't find it anywhere to buy anymore ... but I don't want new HP550 ones anyway, they're too hot for the summer.

I already bought another model - Philips SBC HP400, light ones and actually not even so bad for running (they fit well, I wasn't sweating so much with them and all that), but the sound, it was worse than crap. Bass support about beyond zero, synths so overdriven that they hurt my ear (I turned it up real loud 'cos I wanted bass!)! No, that's nothing for me. I mean, the sound wasn't even that bad for other music that does not focus so much on basslines, like metal or so, but I want the headphones for running and for running I need psy!

So I sold them again and spent the money on beer.

But that didn't solve my problem in the end. I'm now still searching for good, cheap, quality headphones.

The point is that they should not be expensive and still they should deliver a good sound. And a fairly comfortable fit for my head ... but they may not fall off while running, my god! I don't expect the bass as phat as with the HP550 ones as I want some that don't press on the ears so much to have ventilation and not to sweat too much under them, but they should deliver a good, heavy bass-supported sound (I don't want Etnoscope drums to sound like somebody is knocking on the outside of the headphone speaker :P )...

I already thought about buying the Philips SBC HP460 ones:

Posted Image

Specs: 15-28.000 Hz, Neodym drivers, powerful sound.

Anybody has experiences with those? Good/bad? Or does anybody know a better model (nothing above 50 Euro please, I have no money (the prob is, that real quality begins probably at the double amount of money, eh he :P ))...

For the gym and/or running I use a pair of philips "behind-the-neck" headphones. I use a pair of Sennheiser HD25 for everything else, but even though they're fairly small and light-weight they look a bit big and I don't want them to smell like a rotting roadkill carcass =) The Sennheisers obviously sound a LOT better, but they cost eight times as much, so you get what you pay for.... the Philips ones deliver ok amounts of bass and are quite well ventilated. They also stay put on my head no matter what, which is obviously a necessity.

You could buy pro-level in-ear plugs perhaps, if you spend 50-60 euro you will get VERY good ones that stay put and deliver excellent bass. I have never been able to enjoy plugs though, so I stick with headphones of various sorts.

And I recommend listening to Chris Liebing or other hard, dark techno in the gym... I did that yesterday and I can barely move my arms enough to type this today, despite extensive stretching. I think I've never exhausted my upper body that much before in my life!

I have a pair of these and I'm very satisfied:

http://www.decks.co.uk/products/headphones/technics/rpdj1200

Never used them for doing sports but when I wear them for a long time or outside when it's hot I've never faced any problem with sweaty ears or anything.

Have a look in the AKG range of Studio Monitor Headphones..!

.............These were suggested by many ppl on this forum :D

PsychO  :ph34r:

270594[/snapback]

Whooops, thought you were looking for Monitor Headphones, sorry :huh:

Never used them for doing sports but when I wear them for a long time or outside when it's hot I've never faced any problem with sweaty ears or anything.

270596[/snapback]

Yeah.. 90 pounds on a pair of headphones to jog is for sure a great investment :) hahaha :D

For the gym and/or running I use a pair of philips "behind-the-neck" headphones.

You could buy pro-level in-ear plugs perhaps, if you spend 50-60 euro you will get VERY good ones that stay put and deliver excellent bass. I have never been able to enjoy plugs though, so I stick with headphones of various sorts.

Oh no, no earpluggies please, I can't wear those, they always fall out of my ears! Really, my ears seem to be somehow misformed for that type of listening experience, no matter what I try, all earplugs fall out after a short time ... and having to put them in again every few steps is annoying, I already had this problem :P

The behind-the-neck ones sound like an okay alternative ... I must say that I never really thought about buying those yet as I was always of the opinion that the bass support wouldn't be too great with those, but I looked them up at the Philips site and the specs seem okay.

The good thing is, that I've been checking and they are avaliable in the same shop where the HP460 are, so I can try out both before buying :)

The Technics ones are one of my wet dreams, but they cost over 100 Euro ... I'd in no way be able to afford those ... as I said above, quality begins at the double amount of money I am able to spend :(

Plus I would not use them for running. If I paid so much money for headphones I don't want to make them all sweaty and that ... I sweat more than a normal person, so when others say they don't sweat much it doesn't mean the same for me :)

<EDIT>:

the leather-like earpads are probably more sweaty that the ones made of some kind of soft material

That's true, but if I buy headphones with soft material the sweat will probably be sucked up by it like a sponge ... by that they are likely to start to reek earlier than the ones with the leatherlike earpads - there the sweat isn't sucked up so much, it just rinses down. Plus I already tried the HP400 ones for running (they have the same earpad material) and the fit was perfect (crap was only the sound, you know)...

I have a great pair of sony ear plug phones. They have changable rubber cups that lock the sound in your ear and outside noises out. Besides being extremely comfortable and wearable for hours and hours, the sound is crisp and bassy. I think I paid about £30 or something for them, but they're worth every cent and more. And they won't fall out your ears. I carry them with my MP3 player everywhere :P

I wish I could tell you the model number, but they're the top ones in the sony earplug range. The play bass as low as 20Hz (which would be nice if you could hear that low)

I have a great pair of sony ear plug phones. They have changable rubber cups that lock the sound in your ear and outside noises out. Besides being extremely comfortable and wearable for hours and hours, the sound is crisp and bassy. I think I paid about £30 or something for them, but they're worth every cent and more. And they won't fall out your ears. I carry them with my MP3 player everywhere :P

I wish I could tell you the model number, but they're the top ones in the sony earplug range. The play bass as low as 20Hz (which would be nice if you could hear that low)

272566[/snapback]

yes i know which ones you talkin about they have interchanable earplug thing and they sit nice and tight in your ear... they have really decent bass for the mini-ones... and they are greatttt for airplane since they amange to reduce outside noise quite well... i loved them until they broke... then i just cut off the plug and used them as earplugs for quite a while.. they were that confy...

BTW hashashin that avatar kicks some major butt...

272566[/snapback]

Fontopia??

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B...8546495-2543017

Those are the ones Shaft. They're keekers! So glad I bought them :D

I got the white pair so that i could wear them undetected at intel, under my white helmet :P (it goes with a whole suit and all for working in the cleanroom). I would get the black ones for any other reason tho.

Fontopia.... sounds like a font building program.

Those are the ones Shaft. They're keekers! So glad I bought them :D

I got the white pair so that i could wear them undetected at intel, under my white helmet :P (it goes with a whole suit and all for working in the cleanroom). I would get the black ones for any other reason tho.

Fontopia.... sounds like a font building program.

272874[/snapback]

Hehe, be careful with white earphones. iPod nickers look for the trademark white 'phones.

I've heard that they are really nice earphones. Though people have said that the build quality isn't very good. What's your opinion? 'Cos it'll probably be worth me getting some, they're a steal at under £30.

Hehe, be careful with white earphones. iPod nickers look for the trademark white 'phones.

I've heard that they are really nice earphones. Though people have said that the build quality isn't very good. What's your opinion? 'Cos it'll probably be worth me getting some, they're a steal at under £30.

272876[/snapback]

i got them for like something like 30-48 pounds (UK)... if you ask me that isin't exactly cheap for those type of headphones, and yes the sony store is a rip off, but man they are worth every penny.

Hm well ... I guess I had pre-listened those earplugs you talk about at a friend once ... and yes, they were the only ones that didn't fall out :)

It's good that I now know the model number, but ... hehe, it's too late.

I already bought headphones.

And for those who want to know which ones: it's neither the philips hp460 nor the neckband ones ... the philips weren't avaliable and the neckband ones I didn't want.

I got totally different ones: the Sony MDR-V150.

Some people might also know the MDR-300 ones, the 150 ones are exactly the same except that they are not foldable and that the colour is black. I didn't buy the foldable ones as I break them anyway (I know me ;) ) and because the 150 ones were just 25 Euros (30 Euros cheaper than the 300 and they have the same sound ... this world is fucked up).

Yeah and I can say so far that I'm really satisfied with them. The sound is incredibly good, even better than on my previous philips hp550 ... sometimes I even hear more synths in a track than before which makes everything a whole new listening experience! And the bass is really nice too (not phat, but nice!) as the speakers are placed closer to the ears than it's the case with the philips hp400 (the specs don't show so much differences!). I already tried them out with several types of music (tribal psy, scando trance, ambient, dark ambient, black metal) and they always had the same good sound (at least for the money I paid for them it's marvellous sound!) ... I'm really satisfied.

And sweat is not really an issue as the Sony have a same dense spereating material between speaker and ear like the philips hp550 have, so if I sweat really much or when I clean them with wet paper towels there should be no danger that the speakers get wet inside due to the dense material!