Shpongle - Nothing Lasts... But Nothing Is Lost

Jikkenteki

I agree, I think it's the best shpongle album yet. 10/10

I think that the people that don't like this album had just so much expectation that they didn't even give them a chance.

I guesse those people already started their reviews at 5/10 because of those expectations.

I'm pissed off when I see all those bad reviews and comments about the last album. IMO people where just waiting the samples to make negative reviews without even listen to it.

No wonders why it's their last album, fans are getting so negative about their new stuff. If I were them, I wouldn't be much motivated doing a new album seeing all those bad comments from the psy community.

:ph34r:

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I think that the people that don't like this album had just so much expectation that they didn't even give them a chance."

Ahem... May I say: Bullshit

282702[/snapback]

No u may not! Get in line with everyone else, say what they want you to say or otherwise just shut up. Thx.

to much routine in this release and not enough soul...

still it's sphongle style but I have the feeling they didn't put any effort into this work...

6/10 I rate it..

worst tracks:

11 - boring smelly clubby chanting sample - it ruins it  :huh:  <_<

13 - very very bad - why go funky raja? oh no the smelly sample is back!  :o

16 - i cant stand the party/rave sample at the start - its HORRIBLE

after lisning to them a few more times ... i take it back.. ;) still not the greatest tracks but a fun to listen

So what you're saying is that your cd isn't 16 bit?

In addition to the bit depth, frequency thing I guess I should also comment on the music a little more.

This Cd got old really fast. This is just the same old same old with the same gated vocals and effects tricks. People seem to be blinded by the fact that this is a Shpongle release to hear how truly mediocre this is. Boring boring boring. Sample CD driven fx masturbation.

280327[/snapback]

Cry me a fucking river. Yes, let's not criticize your hero. The fact that this guy tried to imply that the bad reviews are not genuine opinions is bullshit and I called it as such. Live with crybaby.

283374[/snapback]

i agree completely.

There are a few good moments[very few], mostly i find it just listenable, and some parts are almost horrible and cheesy...

4/10

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I wrote this about a month ago and never got around to posting it :/

So, new Shpongle album. I'm not a good writer at all, which makes trying to convey how awesome this album was difficult and painful - it's an experience I'd love to share without resorting to cliches and coming off as an shroom fiend :)

I held off downloading it, reading the early reviews etc. so that the first listen would be completely unfamiliar to me (with the exception of Beija Flor). Three of my friends did the same thing. All of us took our choice of psychedelic (mushrooms for me) and then went on a walk outside until we came up. By the time we got back to the house we were pretty "good" and ready. My friend has an amazing speaker system in his living room and a good amount of seating, including two recliners positioned at optimal points with respect to the speakers. I took my seat in one of these recliners, my host turned on the music, I closed my eyes and braced myself.

I was already a fan of Beija Flor (now split into the first three songs on the album), so the beginning was great. However, once the song(s) ended I was into completely uncharted territory. There's that moment in LOTR where Sam says "if I take one more step it will be the farthest from home I've ever been" that sort of captures the feeling as the last bit of Beija Flor faded into the new material.

From that point on the whole experience was totally out of this world. As I was listening I was already thinking about how I would try convey what it was like, and it really is futile. I can barely recall any sequence of sound longer than 10 seconds and for the time being it might stay that way as I'm considering not listening to it for another few months (I'll get to this). The whole thing was just this everchanging collection of awesome moments with loose boundaries that I can only remember as "the piano, the horns, Terrence McKenna 'no that doesn't bother me', the breeze, when shall I be free, flute Solo, Buttrock" and so on *. Things like that were the landmarks on the journey that was this album. You might not remember every little tree and pebble, but you remember the beautiful landscapes.

I'll continue with this analogy for a bit, and give the reason why I might hold off listening to the album for a while. Anyone who's been hiking should be familiar with that feeling of coming into a sunny subalpine meadow after kilometers of forest, or climbing over a pass and seeing the whole new landscape on the other side. There's this virgin bursting feeling that the experience gives you. The first one for me really came after Beija Flor and the big reason for that was because the first ~8 minutes had been spoiled for me. After that, it was the collection of moments that I mentioned before and I had no idea of what would happen next. I didn't even know what track number it was, what the track was called or how long into it I was. These are the kind of things that cause the experience to lose it's mystique and make an album feel less like a backcountry journey and more like a walk in the park. As you listen to the album more, you start to get so familiar that you eventually do recognize every little pebble and you anticipate every step. Because of this, the idea to avoid listening to it casually was brought up. By doing so we hope that the next listen would be just as unfamiliar as the first. Eventually you could start listening to it casually, but it only works one way. Once you've become familiar with it, it's hard to forget.

After reading some of the comments here I almost feel like the people who read the early reviews, downloaded it on soulseek, memorized the tracklist, double clicked, paused and forwarded their way through the album on their computer really did themselves and the album a disservice. Of course, it's hard to be objective when you're reviewing an album you've only listened to on 4 grams of shrooms. On the other hand, criticizing the album after listening to it sober or on your $15 headphones (I'm being a bit presemptuous here, yes) is like reviewing a movie after watching it with your eyes closed. Likewise, listening to it after you're already familiar with it is like playing through a role playing game for the first time with the aid of a walkthrough.

This is Shpongle. Give it the venue it deserves and listen. I sense this slight anti-Shpongle sentiment on this site because of a desire to temper the endless praise doled out by fanatics like myself.

10/10

*A few weeks ago I was dissapointed by the decision to divide most of the songs and double the number of tracks but now I think it was a really good decision. It suits the album better.

Hola!

This is my first post here, just registered ( hello :P ).

I first listened to the new shpongle album on the car journey home from Glastonbury, in the car I wasn't amazingly impressed with it and was getting a bit frustrated that the tracks seemed quite short, and not as 'story-like' as many of the tracks on Tales of the inexpressible.

But... it took only a few listenings (on a real hi-fi, not some dodgy car stereo) to realise that this was another sucesful voyage into Shpongleland :) Posford has succeeded again! I seriously think this is a quality album, everytime I listen to it now I still notice new elements to the songs, some of the 'kicks' into the songs are amazing.

My rating 9/10 - I prefer it to Shpongle 2! :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest The Journey Man Project

i hate to say but I think this was the worst of the lot, so much so I sole my copy after a hrad onth of non-sopt listening, ti just didn't click at alll...I think to have heard this live would ring it more home to me, in the evening as it has an element of darkness to it, but to me it shows tha Simon P really does need tomove into something new or return to his 4/4 roots for a while. I'd give this 1/10 for the Brazilian moments, but they were so short I can;t bring myself to give it any more... Come on Si, give use some Hallucinogen to pick us up, it'd make you so much richer haha

i hate to say but I think this was the worst of the lot, so much so I sole my copy after a hrad onth of non-sopt listening, ti just didn't click at alll...I think to have heard this live would ring it more home to me, in the evening as it has an element of darkness to it, but to me it shows tha Simon P really does need tomove into something new or return to his 4/4 roots for a while.  I'd give this 1/10 for the Brazilian moments, but they were so short I can;t bring myself to give it any more... Come on Si, give use some Hallucinogen to pick us up, it'd make you so much richer haha

310316[/snapback]

eh if this is 1/10 then there pretty much isn't even anything else that classifies as music out there.. but whatever since your rating is just a piss vote..

Pfft forgot that you are the number 1 in music taste because you had a few good trips to this stuff... surprised you voted so high seeing as you aren;t on the Twisted freebee list, or is your opinion based soley on your illegal mp3 download of this? At least I waited and paid for it.

@ The Journey Man

1/10 for Shpongle? Really. I mean I can understand that some people don't like this. It's too complex for a simple mind but if you say 1/10 then what are you giving for Skazi, Astrix and the other full on clones? Or some wanna be lame boring as hell progressive acts? Eurotrance? Britney spears? Etc etc.. Even if you don't like it surely you can admit that there's stuff out there that's a billion times worse? Those are the records you give 1/10.. or whatever I see no point debating this with you. You're clearly a tosser who's trying to act all cool with the "i don't like shpongle" attitude..

edit.

twisted records have no freebee list. they make a new one with every record.

Edited by traveller

Actually no, seeing as I never buy full on I never give it a rating... as far as I'm concerned it doesn;t exist... and it just goes to show how I've always said what a snob you are... if I don;t consider Shponglethe new Mozart you think I'm mad... I just didn;t like it at all, it did absolutely nothing for me at all, like a lot of cd's I have bought oer my life, I xpected so much more and was soooo dissapointed, end of story. Get a life, and chill out, your so full of angst it's ridiculous!

Actually no, seeing as I never buy full on I never give it a rating... as far as I'm concerned it doesn;t exist... and it just goes to show how I've always said what a snob you are... if I don;t consider Shponglethe new Mozart you think I'm mad...  I just didn;t like it at all, it did absolutely nothing for me at all, like a lot of cd's I have bought oer my life, I xpected so much more and was soooo dissapointed, end of story.  Get a life, and chill out, your so full of angst it's ridiculous!

310855[/snapback]

you are a fool.

i usually dont agree with traveller, but he's right here.

even if you dont like it, you should have enough brains to respect this art. no, you would rather cry and secretly hope simon visits you and makes you a special song so you can relive your glory days.

i rate it 9/10

you are a fool.

even if you dont like it, you should have enough brains to respect this art. no, you would rather cry and secretly hope simon visits you and makes you a special song so you can relive your glory days.

i rate it 9/10

310890[/snapback]

oh come on! just cause someone does not feel lickin' simon's shoes he is automatically ostracized from the group as beeing the odd ball cause he has a diff opinion? plwwwease... I dig simon's stuff but i happened to think this wasn't his greatest either...

so what? is taste, opinion... whats to argue about it... maybe not 1/10... but, i really don't see how his point of view affects anybody else's...

you are a fool.

i rate it 9/10

310890[/snapback]

If you are going to say something about what I said please make sure you quote it right. I never once in this discussion said I di not think it was art. I said I did not like the music, and therefore consider it non-existent. I cannot stand pop music and there fore never lsiten to it. That is not to say do not have respect fpr people who do enjoy it and who do listen to it. I also respect any person who creates something as art. I do not cry for the glory days, I buy a helluve lot of musi in recent days, since 200 I have purchased over 100 psytrance and abient cd's. none of these are full on as I do not enjoy this music. I buy ambient, experimental, progressive and melodic stylees such Ypsilon 5 and Tranceform records. I have never once used immature words such as cry and secretly hope... or that any other prsons vote is piss. I have staed time and agin why I think certain people have issues with me, and I really find it funny that just because I really did not enjoy this album, 2 people have come out and abused me personally over it. I staed Traveller downloaded the mp3's illegally because in a post in general he said he had, I did accuse him of being upset of not getting the cd for free, but thast is about as nasty as I got. I never had to explain myself to either of you and I have done so in a reasonably matue way. If you cannot handle anything I say from now on can you please send me a private message or an email to prolojik@gmail.com and not slander me on a public forum.

Mike