Future Sound Of London

Cinos

Most of their stuff (Lifeforms, Dead Cities etc) is pretty unlike "Papua New Guinea" though, so it's not guaranteed that you'll like those. The safest thing to do would be to go for their first album "Accelerator" with PNG on it, preferrably the double album with PNG remixes. The other albums are pretty special, I'm not saying it's bad (I'm sure it's great), but it's not for everyone. You should at least check out what it sounds like before you buy it. I for one have never understood what's the big fuzz is all about.

Most of their stuff (Lifeforms, Dead Cities etc) is pretty unlike "Papua New Guinea" though, so it's not guaranteed that you'll like those. The safest thing to do would be to go for their first album "Accelerator" with PNG on it, preferrably the double album with PNG remixes. The other albums are pretty special, I'm not saying it's bad (I'm sure it's great), but it's not for everyone. You should at least check out what it sounds like before you buy it. I for one have never understood what's the big fuzz is all about.

268689[/snapback]

I think it would be most unsafest to go for Accelerator cause it is the only commerical album, with The Isness. Rest is very underground, so maybe that is what he meant when he said that is not for everyone, but I think that it is for everyone that likes intelligent or trippy music...;)

I think it would be most unsafest to go for Accelerator cause it is the only commerical album, with  The Isness. Rest is very underground, so maybe that is what he meant when he said that is not for everyone, but I think that it is for everyone that likes intelligent or trippy music...;)

268897[/snapback]

The fact that "Accelerator" is the "most commercial" if you choose to call it that is exactly the reason why it would be the safest one to buy first, also because the tracks on it are in the same vein as PNG. The other albums may not be to his tastes in the same way, at least that is my experience. But hey, everyone have to make up their own minds. ;)

Just registered, but have been lurking for over a year now.

I love FSOL. The Lifeforms album is one of the most psychedelic albums of all time. Can't get enough of them. Can't wait for their new one. Hopefully this year some time!

Also wanted to let you guys know of a site that has a BUNCH of FSOL live shows and outtakes and videos. You can find it at http://fsol.disenchanted.com/

If this is old news, I apologize. :)

McKennaDMT

well thanks for that link!!!

i had actually bought the VHS with this vids but its been stolen (as i would never have lost it and one day i couldnt find it) and have not come across it again!

excellent ; )

• 2 weeks later...

Hm. Well, I got Lifeforms and well... it's not really that good. Very atmospheric, but not very good, IMO. Perhaps it's a grower album, but it seems that PNG is the one track by them that is to my taste. :unsure:

Hm. Well, I got Lifeforms and well... it's not really that good. Very atmospheric, but not very good, IMO. Perhaps it's a grower album, but it seems that PNG is the one track by them that is to my taste.  :unsure:

276717[/snapback]

So you think Lifeforms is not really that good?I'll forgive you in a couple of years.

So you think Lifeforms is not really that good?I'll forgive you in a couple of years.

276775[/snapback]

Accelerator is better, but it only has one really good track. I can't hear anything as good as PNG on lifeforms. :(

Accelerator is better, but it only has one really good track. I can't hear anything as good as PNG on lifeforms.  :(

276872[/snapback]

Lifeforms is for many of us intimately connected to our early teens, and experiences set in a time where there was pretty much nothing else that sounded even remotely similar to that album. Today, 11 years after its release, it's not as unique any more and in some ways the production is beginning to show its age. Because of this, the impact of this album is probably a lot smaller on you than it was on many of us older FSOL fans. When I bought it in 1994, it brought immense amounts of sounds and emotions into my life that I had never encountered before. It was a revelation, and as such has remained extremely important to me forever since.

Another factor is that I think Lifeforms needs to grow on you. Papua New Guinnea has much more of an instant appeal, while Lifeforms is less about a "hit track" and more about the overall journey. There are less stand-out elements in Lifeforms, less hooks to cling on to. This could mean that it will take you some time to fully absorb and appreciate it, but it may also be that it's simply not for you, at least not today. Perhaps in a few years, perhaps never. You don't HAVE to enjoy it, even though admittedly I find Lifeforms to be one of the most amazing accomplishments in the history of electronic music.

To me, Lifeforms is not music you consume, it's music you experience.

Accelerator is better, but it only has one really good track. I can't hear anything as good as PNG on lifeforms.  :(

276872[/snapback]

:blink:

:huh:

:o

<_<