Future Sound Of London

Cinos

Yup, another recommendations topic. I'm delving backwards into all kinds of electronica, and now this is at turn. FSOL, the legendary ambient/trance group.

Could you recommend me some of their best albums and tell me which aren't worth buying? (at least as a first album)

Have heard Papua New Guinea already and loved it. :)

Hey Cino Bino, all of their albums rule...But LIFEFORMS ( 1994 ), ISDN ( 1995 ) and DEAD CITIES ( 1996 ) are their best efforts...Check my reviews in reviews section...;)

Hey Cino Bino, all of their albums rule...But LIFEFORMS ( 1994 ), ISDN ( 1995 ) and DEAD CITIES ( 1996 ) are their best efforts...Check my reviews in reviews section...;)

266416[/snapback]

Even the newest one, Isness? (or was that released by their sideproject?) It hasn't received any good ratings.

Get Lifeforms first. Then the singles from that album (LOTS of similar material on those.)

The Amorphous Androgynous album "Tales Of Ephidrina" is very similar to Lifeforms, but slightly older. Also VERY recommended.

ISDN is a bit more harsh, but still in the same vein.

Dead Cities is a bit of a new sound, but still good old FSOL. A bit more hit and miss than the totally solid Lifeforms, though. Get the My Kingdom single from this album as well, very very nice stuff.

Avoid their latest releases ("The Issness" and "The Otherness") for now.

The Isness is in deed their weakest effort...

Tales Of Ephidrina is amazing, it is very old, but PERFECT...;)

I also suggest their singles ( Papua New Guinea, Lifeforms, Cascade, My Kingdom, We Have Explosive )...:)

i have only heard one of their tracks, called "we have explosive" (it is on 'wipeout 2097' soundtrack, no kazaa bug for sure) and just want to check it's the same FSOL.

Cause it doesnt sound ambient/trance.

i have only heard one of their tracks, called "we have explosive" (it is on 'wipeout 2097' soundtrack, no kazaa bug for sure) and just want to check it's the same FSOL.

Cause it doesnt sound ambient/trance.

266491[/snapback]

It's the same guys, but its a very different track for them. FSOL were never really trance anyway, so ignore that bit =)

Start with Lifeforms and Dead Cities, those are masterpieces.

Accelerator, their first is good too, but very different (mostly funky techno with only the slightest hints of ambient psychedelia).

I personally LOVE the Isness/Otherness, but you probably won't enjoy it if you only like electronic music. It's still psychedelic, but more in a Beatles/prog rock fashion.

other FSOL recommendations: BBC Radio One Essential Mixes from 1993 and 94, the "Monstrous Psychedelic Bubble Exploding in Your Mind" mixtape (I've got a copy recorded from KISS FM in '97), and their remix of Robert Miles's Paths.

Dead cities are from my point of view the best one of their releases. And it is one of the few(IMHO) electronic releases actually have a connection between the title and the music, the title fits perfectly, I always get the feeling of being in dead/abandoned cites when I hear it.

For second I would go for lifeforms.

As mentioned the latest releases arent too great in my book, but then again dead cities are hard to beat..

Just my 2 cents

Peace

overrated

267205[/snapback]

Could you spear us sometimes your non sense one liners ? You are not cool as you think, far from it... <_<

Could you spear us sometimes your non sense one liners ? You are not cool as you think, far from it... <_<

267289[/snapback]

Could you stop spreading your negative attitude? You're not as liked as you think you're.

overrated

267205[/snapback]

you are overrating your self man! Go take a dump and leave us alone! :P

First FSOL album I heard was "Dead Cities" .. I got stunned by their music! :D

Could you stop spreading your negative attitude? You're not as liked as you think you're.

267630[/snapback]

You see, I am only negative with negative people, so I am not worried, you are trying to be smart ass non stop and YOU ARE NOT...Just another kid with delusions of grandeur...Bug off... <_<

You see, I am only negative with negative people, so I am not worried, you are trying to be smart ass non stop and YOU ARE NOT...Just another kid with delusions of grandeur...Bug off... <_<

267881[/snapback]

oh our granpa seraph, fucking self educated 25yo budhist.. soon to become shaman..

grow up

I did

which can't be applied to you buster...

:ph34r:

267914[/snapback]

yeah i know i'm not on your level of teh elite hippyness.. i haven't got my own hut in goa and i don't wear skirts.. nor have i any nepalese shirts..

i bow to you you shaman mastah

Start with Lifeforms and Dead Cities, those are masterpieces.

Accelerator, their first is good too, but very different (mostly funky techno with only the slightest hints of ambient psychedelia).

I personally LOVE the Isness/Otherness, but you probably won't enjoy it if you only like electronic music.  It's still psychedelic, but more in a Beatles/prog rock fashion.

other FSOL recommendations: BBC Radio One Essential Mixes from 1993 and 94, the "Monstrous Psychedelic Bubble Exploding in Your Mind" mixtape (I've got a copy recorded from KISS FM in '97), and their remix of Robert Miles's Paths.

266572[/snapback]

Thanks for the recommendations.