7 Most Influential Electronica Artists

seraph

Has none mentioned Autechre so far?

I am surprised. I would put him in there along with some of the names already mentioned.

edit: the post above me has mentioned him. After reading through 2 pages and not seeing his name, I made a search of the last page and didnt see his name either (as it is mispelled), so I jumped to conclusions.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was gonna include Autechre in my list actually.... but decided that, for IDM-kinda stuff Aphex Twin sufficed...

Personally I don't really like them at all, their old more straightforward stuff was good, but that really abstract music they started to make a few years back was really unlistenable

And not all the bands I put in my list, I enjoy... I'm not a fan of Underworld, not a big fan of New Order, or Massive Attack either...

Personally I love stuff like the old Meat Beat Manifesto ;) But they definitely aren't among the most influential out there...

I was gonna include Autechre in my list actually....  but decided that, for IDM-kinda stuff Aphex Twin sufficed...

Personally I don't really like them at all, their old more straightforward stuff was good, but that really abstract music they started to make a few years back was really unlistenable

And not all the bands I put in my list, I enjoy...  I'm not a fan of Underworld, not a big fan of New Order, or Massive Attack either...

Personally I love stuff like the old Meat Beat Manifesto ;)  But they definitely aren't among the most influential out there...

270462[/snapback]

yeah AUTECHRE (hope i got right this time), is mostly unlistenable these days... but i dropped the ball at draft 7.30... then again Amber was not exactly easy to digest, and it wa stheir second production. Oh well we'll always have the Tri Repetae days... Leterel still kicks some major ass in my book

as for meat beat...

how about Front line assembly or Front 242 and skinny puppy... people don't ussually like to aknowldge psy does have heavy industrial influences...

as for meat beat...

how about Front line assembly or Front 242 and skinny puppy... people don't ussually like to aknowldge psy does have heavy industrial influences...

270463[/snapback]

Oh yeah baby! You know the stuff ;)

Listen to the latest Skinny Puppy album RAH? Pretty good, one of their best albums...

Oh yeah baby!  You know the stuff ;)

Listen to the latest Skinny Puppy album RAH?  Pretty good, one of their best albums...

270468[/snapback]

to be honest i didin't have a clue they came up with something new... is it good? worth the dough? i'm wasting so much of it on psy-stuff and mail i hardly look elsewhere for music... :(

edit:

i guess you did mention is "pretty good" duh... hmm ill look it up.. in the mean time im going to bed

The new Skinny Puppy album (The Greater Wrong Of The Right) doesn't sound like their older work very much. It's a lot more upbeat, less harsh, more melody, more of a techno/drill&bass/alternative sound to it than industrial thumping/distortion... I dunno it's pretty hard to describe it!

But it's one of the best industrial albums from the last 3 years... It's REALLY expensive though :ph34r: Haven't seen it for less than $27-28 (Cdn) anywhere....

Front 242, Coil, Einsturzende Neubaten, Genesis P'Orridge... the industrial roots. the dark side of electronic music. :ph34r:

and Chemical Brothers?? they might be popular, but influential? no. at least not compared to Plastikman or New Order or Happy Mondays, for instance.

What about Ferry Corsten... stuff like System F and Gouryella.. eurotrance with the typical big synth stringsounds... around '98/'99 he and some others made eurotrance/dutch cheesetrance the most popular form of dance music, I guess... an enormous amount of similar stuff followed.. influential wether you like it or not.

270317[/snapback]

EPIC Trance. :angry:

The new Skinny Puppy album (The Greater Wrong Of The Right) doesn't sound like their older work very much.  It's a lot more upbeat, less harsh, more melody, more of a techno/drill&bass/alternative sound to it than industrial thumping/distortion... I dunno it's pretty hard to describe it!

270482[/snapback]

It was produced in collaboration with Otto von Schirach, of Schematics fame. That might explain the IDMish feel. I'd like to hear it, actually..

It would have had an IDM-ish feel to it regardless of Otto.

If you've listened at all to Download, cEvin Key (1/2 of Skinny Puppy)'s major SP side-project, you'll find it's very dark techno/IDM/industrial style music, and also the last SP album (The Process) had some major techno influences as well.

Everyone here who is a fan of techno, industrial & IDM should listen tocEvin Key's side projects, it's absolutely great music! He's one of my absolute favourite electronic artists, he pulls off every genre flawlessly, going through hard industrial/noisecore, breaks, IDM, techno, minimal, and above all his work has always been hyper-psychedelic....

Anyone interested should check out

Download - The Eyes Of Stanley Pain (1996)

One of the most forward-thinking industrial albums ever, it's frggin' amazing, and it still sounds ahead of it's time now. Very noisy and industrialish

Download - III (1997)

Much less noisey than TEOSP, it's much more in a prog-house-techno -ambient style, almost no industrial elements at all. Normally I hate prog but this album is utterly fantastic!

It would have had an IDM-ish feel to it regardless of Otto.

If you've listened at all to Download, cEvin Key (1/2 of Skinny Puppy)'s major SP side-project, you'll find it's very dark techno/IDM/industrial style music, and also the last SP album (The Process) had some major techno influences as well.

270491[/snapback]

Yeah, I heard most of that stuff.. some of it is really nice. Though, in general, Skinny Puppy isn't always my cup of tea. Personally, I like more tweak and less abrasiveness, like Haujobb for examle.

As for the album, Otto von Schirach presence might explain the drill'n'bass, at least..Schematics stuff rocks. Richard Devine blew me away last year - the single most psychedelic live set i've ever heard. by a long shot.

Pink Floyd

Godfathers of psy-trance

272717[/snapback]

But they're not electronic. (nor do I agree about them being god-fathers of psy)

well hope you can understand/hear the influence theyv had to your idol shpongle and other work of posford

272729[/snapback]

Perhaps they have, I don't really care. I like Shpongle but don't like Floyd.

What about Ferry Corsten... stuff like System F and Gouryella.. eurotrance with the typical big synth stringsounds... around '98/'99 he and some others made eurotrance/dutch cheesetrance the most popular form of dance music, I guess... an enormous amount of similar stuff followed.. influential wether you like it or not.

dude, Ferry Corsten simply took a formula that had already been used and abused for years! Uplifting trance with catchy melodies exists since the beginning of the 90s and a certain Energy 52 - Café Del Mar released in 1993... thus 5 years before your Ferry Corsten made his music... (not saying he isn't good, just that you can't call someone influential when he copied a formula that has been around for at least 5 years already...)

He has been around longer (under other names). Of course he copied a formula, but I think he added something extra... he gave commercial trance a new sound (like system f - out of the blue) and today most eurotrance/epic trance/whatever still sounds like that (and most of it sucks ;)). Influential doesn't necessarily mean inventing a whole new style.

There's too many all-time...

People forget Juan Atkins & Kevin Saunderson for the original techno movement

Einsturzende Neubauten, Skinny Puppy for industrial/dark heavy beats and "found sound" (using recorded sounds in rhythmic strctures, warping recorded ambiance, etc etc)

Throbbing Gristle (for sure, a hugely influential group)

Psychic TV (their influence on acid house was huge at one point)

Cabaret Voltaire (influential on industrial and techno)

Brian Eno

Even David Bowie, with his Berlin trilogy

And then also The Beastie Boys could be credited as well, for their 80's records (especially Paul's Boutique) & The Dust Brothers for production

Afrika Bambataa

Gary Numan for the synth pop style

Perhaps they have, I don't really care. I like Shpongle but don't like Floyd.

272773[/snapback]

I think Floyd is much better than Shpongle.. But I don't think they're the only godfathers of psytrance. And they're not electronic. IMO Tangerine Dream (and Klaus Schulze's soloworks) and Amon Düül II, Soft Machine & the likes should be mentioned also. PF is more mainstream & popular than those but still...