5 Most Influential Psy-Trance Acts of All-Time

Empty Space

My picks for the 5 most influential Psy-Trance acts of all-time would be (in no order):

Infected Mushroom

Hallucinogen

Astral Projection

Juno Reactor

X-Dream

Infected Mushroom for their unique, crazy sound... constantly changing, morphing, with some of the most unique conflicting, converging psychedelic noise ever made. This style was/is copied to no end, and topped by few (if any).

key albums: The Gathering (1999), Classical Mushroom (2000), B.P. Empire (2001)

Hallucinogen for those distinct, hyper-psychedelic synth leads and epic song structures, one of the first true masters of the genre. Also Simon Posford's work in ambient project Shpongle is worth noting.

key albums: Twisted (1995), The Lone Deranger (1997), Shpongle - Are You Shpongled? (1998), Shpongle - Tales Of The Inexpressible (2001)

Astral Projection, the genre's first true superstars, brought psy-trance to the worldwide stage. They helped popularize "Morning Trance," a style that is typically epic and lighter in mood, with heavy emphasis on memorable melody. They have released some of Psy/Goa-Trance's most memorable anthems.

key albums: Trust In Trance (1996), Dancing Galaxy (1997), Another World (1999)

Juno Reactor was the first big cross-over Psy-Trance act, first fusing Goa-Trance with Techno, then moving towards world-influenced sounds and beats. Some of the first (if not the first) Psy-Trance to be featured in big-name Hollywood movies (Mortal Kombat, The Matrix), JR's influence has been felt in Industrial music as well.

key albums: Beyond The Infinite (1995), Bible Of Dreams (1997), Shango (2000)

X-Dream was the Psy-Trance act whose album "Radio" marked perhaps the true point where this music stopped being referred to as "Goa-Trance" and became "Psy-Trance." Popularizing the "big bassline" and minimalist Tech-Trance styles, X-Dream has become one of the most copied acts in the genre today.

key albums: We Created Our Own Happiness (1997), Radio (1998), Irritant (2002)

I'm sure the experts here are probably wondering why this is necessary... But there are lots of newbies on here that need to hear what made this music what it is. I just got listening to some classics today and felt this post was necessary. And of course you can debate my picks and points. :rolleyes:

Well, Empty, yopu nailed them all actually. I was just about to name the same ones except I have to add THE most Psychedelic :

ETNICA / PLEIADIANS/ CROP CIRCLES

These 4 guys at first made enormous ammount of albums and singles and even though their latest efforts aren't that good than their previous ones ( from 1995 - 2000 ) they are still founders of pure psychedelic madness. Their unique psychedelic style with morphing, liquid melodies and screaming 303 everywhere is still not copied and they remain as the most prominent psychedelic artists in this scene. Key albums : Etnica - The Juggeling Alchemist Under The Black Light ( 1995 ), Alien Protein ( 1996 ), Equator ( 1999 ), Pleiadians - Identified Flying Objects ( 1997 ), Family Of Light ( 1999 ) plus numerous number of perfect singles when you gather all of them, you can make another 2 discs out of it. Their latest albums are not even remotely close to their previous ones, so if any newcommer decide to purchase whatever from them it should be the albums already mentioned cause all of them are true classics.

ASTRAL PROJECTION

This most popular Israel Goa Trance act needs no introduction, everyone already know everything about them and they released 4 classical albums : Trust In Trance ( 1996 ), Astral Files ( 1996 ), Dancing Galaxy ( 1997 ), Another World ( 1999 ). Yes, I think that Astral Files belongs there too Empty no matter cause it is filled with remixes, it has certain flow and it is filled with classics. Shame they changed their style with Amen that was also good but not classical, cult album.

HALLUCINOGEN

This british wizard is here from very beginning, being only 19 years old when he started he is still among best producers around concentrating entirely on making ambient music now. He has various projects beside Hallucinogen, mostly ambient but his trance project Hallucinogen remains the most popular of all. With only 2 albums, he still managed to make 2 PERFECT cult albums which every trancer should have. Twisted ( 1995 ) and The Lone Deranger ( 1997 )

JUNO REACTOR

This innovative, creative group that is also from the start made by now heaps of albums as well, combining different styles and moods. They are here since 1993 and still existing but not being dissapointing. That is great thing, staying true to their style and origins, making perfect blend of ethno, psychedelic, ambient and freestyle. Their debut album Transmissions was for its time real entry to psychedelic realms, they were one of the first to introduce psychedelic sounds to people. Key albums : Transmissions ( 1993 ), Beyond The Infinite ( 1996 ), Bible Of Dreams ( 1997 ), Shango ( 2000 ), Labyrinth ( 2004 ), so all albums practically.

INFECTED MUSHROOM

Huh, this guys really invented new style, no matter how it was Hallucinogenic influenced. Their latest installements are very average but their first 3 albums as already mentioned are true psychedelic mind puzzles. The Gathering was new, fresh, crazy psy style that people didn't hear before. Their harmonies and melodies were twisted, deviant and very trippy, like you literally ate Infected Mushroom and got stuck in some other reality. Empty named their key albums, so get those 3 if you ever come across...

I agree about X-Dream but Pleiadians are definitely more influental than them...;)

Replace X-Dream with either Transwave or Green Nuns and we're all a-go. Both of those had a more unique, new sound than X-Dream.

Or Shpongle if you count that as psytrance.

i dont think Astral projection was so important...

mainly i d say most important groups are:

Infected mushroom who can deny their awsomeness!? they gave psytrance a face that we still remember today!

Hallucinogen amazing sounds and leads!!!

Juno Reactor they are ALWAYS pushing it further!!!

Replace X-Dream with either Transwave or Green Nuns and we're all a-go. Both of those had a more unique, new sound than X-Dream.

Or Shpongle if you count that as psytrance.

261092[/snapback]

I included Shpongle with Hallucinogen as required listening, for the reason that Shpongle isn't psy-trance but heavily psychedelic and is almost as known and respected as Hallucinogen. I figured it was only natural to include Shpongle's albums with Hallucinogen's.

But I digress... my point is, that Shpongle isn't psy-trance :)

I'd agree with that for the most part although I haven't heard alot of x-dream so I will sub that for shpongle. Oh & empty you forgot the DMT single & remixed album bith of which i like more than tales of the inexpressable.

Cool, I tried to stick to their main albums... I liked T.O.T.I. a lot, plus it's pretty popular as Shpongle releases go. But the remix album was good too, not knocking anything

Yeah I know what you mean empty I did like T.O.T.I. I just thought it was too world musicy for me. I was hoping for a more electronic feel & I didn't like all the singing. I like the vocals on DMT & I hope they have more like that on the new one. My favorite song on T.O.T.I. is shpongle eyes cuz it's the most like their 1st cd. It's just a mtter of taste.

Good ones, so far...

Here's my list of the Founding Fathers of Psy (not necessarily acts, but also producers/contributors):

SIMON POSFORD: There's just no way around this guy, when you wanna get into this type of music... Whether it be the legendary heavy-weights Hallucinogen and Shpongle or his various brainchilds. On another note, Hallucinogen's first-born 'Twisted' smashed straight into the top 30 in France, becoming one of the biggest selling goa-albums of all time. Quite an accomplishment, especially when we are talking 1995, ppl. It formed the basis of Twisted Records in UK, still THE psychedelic label of our time. ;)

Best known for: Hallucinogen, Shpongle, Younger Brother, Celtic Cross, The Infinity Project, various Twisted Rec.-compilations.

RAJA RAM: The grandfather of psy. There's a huge difference in people's opinions on this guy's contributions to the scene lately. But frankly, who cares? Raja's passion, enthusiasm and pioneering work to establish the psytrance-scene in the UK, not to mention his eye for quality, skills with a flute and wicked covers is nearly unfathomable. The TIP- and TIP.WORLD labels formed by Raja in the 90's has brought us nothing but smash-hits and classics, all serious contenders for the finest psychedelic releases of all time. A few black sheep, but so what? Everyone stumbles in the dark, eh ;). Watch this guy in action on the 'Solstice' and 'Liquid Crystal Vision' and at a trance-festival near you B). Laughs and enlightenment guaranteed.

X-DREAM

JUNO REACTOR: Though their music is among the best and most inovating to ever hit the scene, it is still a complete mystery to me that Ben Watkins and co. crossed over into mainstream without losing the edge and even contribute to the Matrix-movies. :blink: Who said the time of miracles is over?

DOOF: The super-man of trance and ambient/dub. Nick Barber was there from the beginning and collaborated with Simon Posford to create some of the finest psy-tunes.

By the way... Here's a really wicked article on the history of psytrance (for those who are either generally interested, writing a report on the subject or has got nothing better to do :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychedelic_trance

i dont think Astral projection was so important...

mainly i d say most important groups are:

261093[/snapback]

once upon a time, Astral Projection were the dudes that introduced everyone into psytrance.

I can only think of 4...

Skazi

Astrix

Alien Project

Holymen

OK, seriously. I can only think of 4:

Hallucinogen

Astral Projection

Infected Mushroom

Pleiadians/Etnica

I don't know avout X-Dream or Juno Reactor much....

Personally I would replace Astral Projection with Wizzy Noise in your original list Empty Space. Once a upon a time they were groundbreaking but not so much anymore and I feel there are other producers that are more indicitive of the sound. This maybe be to the sound becoming broader in recent times, and these question can't be limited to 5 groups.

Guest .::E.P

This comes down to taste and not really facts... Who can say what track or band was most influental on the scene? No one!

The fact is that different tracks and different artists had different influence on different people. There's no "most" influental band or track what-so-ever

Only when it come to individual taste with indiviual people you can start to talk about ifluences in a personal way.

Actually I have seen that, and is an incomplete work, it would be great if we all could manage to write a decent article over there :)

once upon a time, Astral Projection were the dudes that introduced everyone into psytrance.

261210[/snapback]

Youre right, Astral Projection, X-Dream, Etnica and Juno Reactor were the ones that got me into psytrance, let me tell you, they blew my mind back in the day.

I guess the thread is about what groups influenced most people. Ofcource it cannot be said in certain, but it gives some semi-accurate overview.

261272[/snapback]

Nope it dont... It give a micro overview of what a few (5-10) people in this forum consider best...

Nope it dont... It give a micro overview of what a few (5-10) people in this forum consider best...

261430[/snapback]

:huh:

Ok then, I'll say what influenced more without having my favourites here...Here is my definite list :

ELYSIUM

SHEYBA

KAILASH

ELYSIUM PROJECT

HOLMS & ANDERSEN

Ok ?

EP is just jealous because noone mentioned him :rolleyes:

Who can say what track or band was most influental on the scene?

Well actually it CAN be said who had a lot of influence on the scene although I agree with you that most of the replies here are based on taste, not facts... For me influential artists are simply artists that everyone tried to copy/ imitate later on. Example of this being GMS and their full-on formula... Many people might not like GMS (including me...) but they have to admit that the are truly one of THE most influential artists in todays scene.

On the oposite side, say a group like Pleiadians might be considered by a LOT of people as having made 2 classic albums yet their style hasn't really been reproduced (well, except for Filteria) so no, for me Pleiadians shouldn't really be considered as "influential"...

EP is just jealous because noone mentioned him  :rolleyes:

261439[/snapback]

somehow i knew that would be your comment ;)

No I am not jealous. No need to be.

:huh:

Ok then, I'll say what influenced more without having my favourites here...Here is my definite list :

ELYSIUM

SHEYBA

KAILASH

ELYSIUM PROJECT

HOLMS & ANDERSEN

Ok ?

261438[/snapback]

Holm & Andersen? hmmm I doubt it mate since we only released one track so far and it was released 3-4 days ago.

For the rest... yes I was/am a part of that but I dont claim I was/am the biggest influence to the scene.. I know I have influenced some people though.

Which ones ? Medicine Drum that made music before you...Who else ?

No, I don't want to bitch, I am not like you...but please don't be so strict and then expect evryone to take your opinion as valuable...;)

Which ones ? Medicine Drum that made music before you...Who else ?

No, I don't want to bitch, I am not like you...but please don't be so strict and then expect evryone to take your opinion as valuable...;)

261445[/snapback]

I never expect people to agree with me... It's their right to disagree as much as they like. But don't expect me to shut up just because you don't like what i have to say.

Somehow I dont really get why this have to be about my music? So because I have done some music in the past and still do I am not allowed to think that a subject like this is a very individual thing without having to see the usual stupid remarks about my music?

Your indeed bithing a lot mate...

Usual stupid remarks about your music ? ? ? Where did you see them ?

You are crazy EP...no one mentioned your music, not HERE ! And plus, I even like your music, you twisted f*ck ! :P