Sound Synthesis Versus Sample Cds

Some artists are well known to abuse of FX sample cds. What is your flavor? Do you favor knobbing your own sounds or do you heavily rely on sample cds?

IMO I prefer building my own sounds on my Clavia Modular G2 even though it can be a long process until it spits out exactly what I have in mind.

I don’t really see the point in buying expensive FX sample cds except for a few very particular sounds that you won’t be able to build on your own.

Not to forget that buying an FX sample cd involves the risk of sounding like a zillion other artists who had exactly the same good idea as you :D

It simply makes my ears boil when I listen to a nice tune and all of the sudden I hear something that has already been used by another artist.

Another thing that comes to my mind, and it's rather off my own topic heh, is the abuse of the Delay Lama plugin. How much Delay Lama can our ears hear until they implode like a supernova?

Whats your opinion?

Regards

-Carthago

any day making my own sounds...

even when i hear samples i wonder how to make them..

using samples is very limited..creating your own sounds is like being the source itself..its limitless..with infinite possibilities...

i like to use samples only of real sounds like nature sounds or street sounds or things like that or samples of dialogues from movies..

learning about and using synthesis is so much more interesting and rewarding...

Some artists are well known to abuse of FX sample cds. What is your flavor? Do you favor knobbing your own sounds or do you heavily rely on sample cds?

IMO I prefer building my own sounds on my Clavia Modular G2 even though it can be a long process until it spits out exactly what I have in mind.

I don’t really see the point in buying expensive FX sample cds except for a few very particular sounds that you won’t be able to build on your own.

Not to forget that buying an FX sample cd involves the risk of sounding like a zillion other artists who had exactly the same good idea as you :D

It simply makes my ears boil when I listen to a nice tune and all of the sudden I hear something that has already been used by another artist.

Another thing that comes to my mind, and it's rather off my own topic heh, is the abuse of the Delay Lama plugin. How much Delay Lama can our ears hear until they implode like a supernova?

Whats your opinion?

Regards

-Carthago

260815[/snapback]

I use samples only for kicks, hats, snares and etc (but heavily edit them to my needs)... just the basics sounds... beyond that i would never use samples... because it's ruins the idea that "you're making music of your own".

I truly love creating sounds by my own (even if it takes long time... and it does :\ ), and I'm thinking to learn even how to make kicks or hat and etc by myself...

I always use my own sounds. I have no sample cd's but i wouldn't mind using one. I imagine i would modify the sounds alot before using them though, i would be embarrased if someone else used the exact same sounds as me. :huh:

i dont use samples (except for drums & some percussions & off course vokals'n'stuff like that)

I create my own sounds, that just works!  :D

261046[/snapback]

Digital Psyence, what's that piece of hardware?

Well of course you can edit samples too.

Personally I use both synth and samples, I think it doesn't matter as long as you don't sound like anybody else.

Well of course you can edit samples too.

Personally I use both synth and samples, I think it doesn't matter as long as you don't sound like anybody else.

261635[/snapback]

Agree. Samples are big part of my productions, but u will never regocnize them even if u know the sample cd. U need to work with them. It is like abusing all fm-synths or all subtracitve synth if u say u abuse samples.

Peace B)

I learnt a cool trick from Venetian Snares on how to use samples in a unique sounding way. It really makes simple samples sound completely sweet.

He takes a typical synth hit sample, or sound effect, drum sound, whatever. Then takes a sliver out of the sample, so that its just a quick 32nd note blip of the sound. Throw that hit into a sampler, and sequence longer notes out of putting tons of the littes "hits" together, changing the variation of 32nd and 64th note accurances every once in a while. Use these glitchy "notes" in a sequence that sounds good depending on the style, IDM, psy, whatever. You can automate pitch bends into the sequence too, to get it sounding alot like an interesting patch that you could have made on a synth. From here, the way you get your sound to shape will depend on the origin of the sample (effect, vocal, drum..).

Its a real interesting way of using samples in a way that no sample will ever sound the same twice. If you havn't already heard any Venetian Snares, do so (I'm sure alot of you already are pretty damn familiar with IDM). I have found that the whole world of "noise" design has a huge influence on the future of psy.