V/A - Lime Light

DeathPosture

V/A – Lime Light

Posted Image

Artist: Various

Title: Lime Light

Format: CD (jewel case)

Label: Tribal Vision Records (Czech Republic)

Cat. #: TVRCD002

Distribution: Psyshop.net

Date: April 2005

Track listing:

01. 07’16” Jaïa vs. French Kisz – Drifting Planet

02. 08’11” Rai - Liquid

03. 08’43” Vision & Canedy – Collected Vibes

04. 08’55” Minilogue - Leloo

05. 09’22” Flowjob – Cloud Politics

06. 10’46” Holm & Andersen - Cityrain

07. 08’23” Ticon - Reflections

08. 08’51” Leo – Music Design Revolutions

09. 07’42” Shuma – Illektro Music

Review:

Music to watch girls by…

Tribal Vision Records from the Czech Republic released their first progressive trance compilation Urban Legends in December 2004 – it was an instant smash, so label bosses DJ Slater & DJ Schwa decided to grace our ears with another compilation now… And damn – that was one wise decision… I mean – just take a look on the tracklist here… Proggy bonanza… I’m already impressed! Let’s take a trip to funky town…

Let me take you thru the tracks…

#01: Jaïa vs. French Kisz – Drifting Planet [126 BPM]

First up is a French collaboration between Yannis Kamarinos (Jaïa) and Stéphane Deschezeaux & Fathallah Lekal (French Kisz)… Jaïa should need no further introduction except the notion of me really looking forward to the album on Digital Structures soon… But French Kisz is not a project I’ve heard about before… Good thing there’s an extensive booklet which describes them as a well-established progressive house act… A slow, electro-intro is soon drenched in tribal percussion and trippy synth-experiments… All done in a very chilled, laid-back manner… This is the slowest track here - perfect for chilling on the beach and enjoying life… The groovy is amazing here… The rich percussion, the phat melodic pads and the subtle singing all help in creating one groovy synthesis… Brilliant track!

#02: Rai – Liquid [130 BPM]

Rai is Roman Horinek from the Czech Republic… He has released tracks on a number of labels and his track Groove was on the first Tribal Vision compilation… This track lives up to its name – Roman plays around with filters and FX to create a liquid sound here… Somewhere in between commercial trance and progressive house… It’s all very well-polished and neat – and in that sense I could’ve wished for more edge… It’s a little too Balearic for my taste! That being said, this is a nice track with flawless production – and immediate crossover potential! I like the little breakdown and the groove that follows it… I would have abandoned the cheesy vocals though, but that’s just me…

#03: Vision & Canedy – Collected Vibes [130 BPM]

Reinforcement from Hadshot Haheizar! This track is made by German producer Marco ‘Canedy’ Mellmann… I have no idea where Marc ‘Vision’ Wollenschein went, but he’s not listed in the credits!?… But hey, Canedy does a good job on his own… This track is drenched in the typical V&C groove that I have come to like so much… An ultra-smooth kick alongside a tight percussion section… Rhythm n trance! Tribal percussion is always a hit and the cut-up voice samples just adds to the groove here… The break just leaves you moaning on the dancefloor – screaming for more... Nuff said - this is a massive track!

#04: Minilogue – Leloo [131 BPM]

Leeloo Dallas Multipas!? This track was released on a Baroque Records 12” in 2004, but I’m a CD-only trancer so this is my first encounter with it…Minilogue is an alias for Swedish progressive godfathers Marcus Henriksson & Sebastian Mullaert… Son Kite! Qlap! Kooler! Ooze! Trimatic! … Need I say more? I think not! I’m like the biggest fan of the sweet sounds coming out of the High-Hat Studios – and this is the first new stuff I’ve heard in a while… And yes, it’s good! This is even more experimental than Son Kite – drawing on an even wider spectre of electronic music… This is driving, danceable, highly enjoyable progressive trance – with a big fat groove… The voice-sample is among the best I’ve heard in a progressive trance track for a long time – it fits the music perfectly and I can vividly imagine myself tripping to this tune on the dancefloor… That climax part is unsurpassed! Reminiscent of the climax in On Air – but still nowhere near it! Sweeeeeeeeet!

#05: Flowjob – Cloud Politics [130 BPM]

Iboga Records reinforcement! Flowjob from Denmark has the members Joakim Hjørne & Mads Tinggaard and they’ve had tracks released on Midijum, Iboga, YSE and now Tribal Vision… Their debut album is coming out in 2006 on Iboga – and goddam I can’t wait… This is a very, very crispy track… We get some psychedelic influences here – with a strong melodic trance interface – mixed up with a funky, progressive rhythm section… A winning combination! This will work wonders both at the beach and on the trancefloor… And it’s perfect for spacing out in your easy chair! Instant summer hit! Brilliant!

#06: Holm & Andersen – Cityrain [132 BPM]

“I want all of you to get up out of your chairs. I want you to get up right now and go to the window. Open it and stick your head out and…” Kim Holm used to spin in my hometown Aalborg – and was behind many of the big parties Audiobahn threw in Denmark… Kristian Thinning Andersen is a living legend and has been on the scene longer than anyone can remember. He is widely known and respected for his past as Elysium + Elysium Project… Releasing timeless classics within goa, psytrance, ambient and progressive trance… And he’s still very active today as this track accentuates… The base of this track is progressive trance with rich elements of tribal house, electro and trippy trance… A crossover track that combines the best of different styles in a tasty cocktail… This hybrid track is very long and has extensive stretched-out melodic pads, an extensive rhythm section and numerous changes in pace and direction – without ever loosing the ultimate focus… Kinda reminds me of 12 Moons or Tegma in some aspects… Though maybe a couple of minutes too long, this is a very nice, original track…

#07: Ticon – Reflections [135 BPM]

Ahh – more Swedish delights… This time from legendary Ticon (Fredrik Gilenholt & Filip Mårdberg)… I only just recently purchased the album Aero released in 2003 on Digital Structures - I’ve been playing that a lot lately, so I’m all warmed up for this track… This is another progressive trance track with rich influences from house and electro… It’s the fastest track here, but somehow it doesn’t seem fast – it just seems luscious… Sexy even! Melodic pads and delicate percussion assist in creating another beach-house choon… I’m afraid to say it, but parts of this track are just a little too well-polished and clubby for my taste… Just a little though, and the last three minutes are pure bliss – massive soundscapes of lush prog… Yummy!

#08: Leo – Music Design Revolutions [133 BPM]

Leo Leite is a Brazilian producer who now lives in New York where he’s also a member of the electronic outfit Influx… Supposedly he’s quite a well-known DJ and producer, but this is my first encounter with his work… But not the last I hope, as this is pretty sweet… This is progressive house with a darker edge than some of the previous tracks – tribal percussion and deep, spacey, metallic soundscapes… This will work wonders during the darkest hours of a progressive set… This is anti-fluff – and I like anti-fluff… However, there seems to be parts of this track that lacks the ultimate kick to push it into the close-to-perfection category… But yeah, I like this!

#09: Shuma – Illektro Music [132 BPM]

Shuma are Davor Tosovic & Emir Cehaic from Croatia… They had a track on a 2003 Hadshot Haheizar EP, but this is my first encounter with their distinct illektro sound… Illektro is obviously a clever little play on words as this is utterly and totally drenched in electro-vibes… It’s not the first time progressive trance has been mixed with electro, but this track takes it to the extremes… Fast-paced synth-galore with repetitive voice-samples and electronic stabs and hisses… Very experimental – well to my ears at least… I can’t really decide if I like this or it annoys me… Well, it’s definitely something unusual and I like that aspect of it… ;o)

Wow – take a look below at my favourite tracks… That’s a lot of stand-outs, indicating the very high quality level on this compilation… I am really, really impressed and there are no bad tracks here… In fact most tracks are brilliant, but some just pale in comparison with the really great ones… Hope you catch my drift here!? What I’m trying to say is that there are more than enough brilliant progressive trance tracks here to validate a purchase… Another big fat plus in my cool-book is the extensive 16-page full colour booklet that comes with this CD… One page is dedicated to each artist and the easy-rip DJ-slip is a nifty little feature! A nice booklet like this will never go out of fashion… Check it out!

I’m sure several of these tracks will become big summer-festival hits… They deserve it! Fans of crossover progressive trance need this compilation in their collection… The flow here is brilliant and I like the mix of new and old artists on one compilation… Well done Tribal Vision Records… I will not hesitate to give this CD my highest recommendations… Enjoy!

Favourites: 1(!), 3(!!), 4(!!), 5(!!), 6, 7

DeathPosture

Posted Image

External links:

Tribal Vision: http://www.tribalvision.cz

Psyshop: http://tinyurl.com/bdgt3

Beat Space: http://tinyurl.com/753xp

Wirikuta: http://tinyurl.com/dbb5w

Artist: Various

Title: Lime Light

Label: Tribal Vision Records

Format: CD (Jewelcase with extensive 16 page booklet and DJ-inlay)

Released: May, 2005

Cover: http://217.160.138.169/pic_b/tvr1cd002_b.jpg

Review:

Czech-based label Tribal Vision launched last year with the compilation "Urban Legends" – a release that received massive recognition from progressive psytrance circles, and gave the new label a lot of well-earned respect. Now, 6 months after "Urban Legends", the label is ready with their second release "Lime Light" – a compilation featuring a very impressive roster of some of the indisputably biggest artists on the progressive scene like Minilogue (Son Kite sideproject), Ticon, Jaïa plus a bunch of well-known and relatively new acts in the game.

Before I go on with in-depth descriptions of each track, I just have to say thumbs up for the cover. The artwork is very stylish and different from the usual fractals or random 3d-shapes, there’s an extensive 16-page booklet with pictures and detailed descriptions of all artists involved, a discography of both past and future releases from Tribal Vision, and last but not least a handy DJ-inlay. Once again very professional.

1. Jaïa Vs. French Kisz – Drifting Planet

Jaïa has always been one of my favourite morning acts, and after some years with only a few releases it looks like he’s (being as there is only Yannis left in the group) getting his big comeback, with a new album planned for release on Swedish powerhouse Digital Structures later this year. On "Drifting Planet" he teams up with a, to me, totally unknown French duo called French Kisz to make an amazing opener. The groove is very laidback, but the atmosphere is constantly evolving and succeeding in keeping the interest focused on the incredible small details, like the delicate melodies and the uplifting riff. Great for the early hours of a party.

2. Rai - Liquid

With "Groove" the czech newcomer Rai was one of the biggest surprises on the first compilation from Tribal Vision, and "Liquid" continue down the same line of soft housey grooves. Smooth is perhaps best word to describe his work; Every sound is perfectly polished and overall the track is extremely gentle and smooth as silk. Impossible not to get in a good mood to the caressing grooves in this tune.

3. Vision & Canedy – Collected Vibes

Vision & Canedys debut album last year on Hadshot was a very positive surprise, but their last 2 releases have been a bit too shallow and formulaic for my liking. "Collected Vibes" unfortunately follow the same formula as "Laguna" recently released on Plastik Park: the usual Vision & Canedy bassline, some very static percussion and basically nothing new to really make it interesting. Quite disappointing track.

4. Minilogue - Leloo

One of Son Kites many sideprojects is Minilogue, devoted to the more housey progressive music, and with this project they have had releases on influential labels like Baroque, SOG and Feed Me. "Leloo" was originally released on Baroque last year, and where I usually think the Minilogue atmosphere is slightly gloomy, this has a more uplifting trancy feel – somewhere between the Filur and Minilogue sound. The track also features a sweet vocal-sample (am I the only one who think it’s the same one used by Paste in "Code Bed"?) almost teasing the listener, and of course, like always from the High Hat studios, the bassline is simply huge and kicking.

5. Flowjob – Cloud Politics

My first and only encounter with the Danish duo Flowjob was "Fluff Me Tender" one of Ibogas best compilations to date, “FX” from 2003. "Cloud Politics" is a sweet track with some both house and progressive trance influences – the tempo is perhaps most suitable for the progressive house sets, while the overall use of more psychedelic sounds more feels like Scandinavian forest trance – an interesting combination.

6. Holm & Andersen - Cityrain

Holm & Andersen is a new producer-team/DJ-duo from Denmark – Holm being a well-known DJ for one of the most influential national party organisations, Audiobahn, and Andersen being Kristian Thinning Andersen of Elysium/Elysium Project and Sheyba fame. "Cityrain" is the first release from the duo, and I have quite mixed feelings about it: The style is a mix of tribal grooves and progressive house, but the sounds are tighter and electro oriented, and with a good, but definitely overused voice-sample. Interesting combination of sounds, but I didn’t really connect to it.

7. Ticon - Reflections

Since the release of their first album "Rewind" in 2001, the Swedish duo Ticon has been one of the biggest names on the progressive psytrance scene. "Reflections" is a teaser for their forthcoming 3rd album, once again to be released on Digital Structures, and like on the "Texas Magnusson"/"Spincycle" EP you can certainly feel that they’ve turned in a more melodic and uplifting direction. This is pure progressive trance, and you can really hear the massive experience in the production – the bassline is very dynamic and almost playing with the other melodies to form a rich and multilayered dance floor bomb.

8. Leo – Music Design Revolution

With New York-based Brazilian producer Leo things get a little bit darker. "Music Design Revolution" is the first track I hear from Leo, and it’s a quite pleasant surprise – a deep progressive monster with huge soundscapes and some seriously teeth-grinding metallic sounds. The atmosphere is perfect for the darker progressive sets, but perhaps I would have preferred if it would have had a more dramatic peak.

9. Shuma – Illektro Music

Croatian duo Shuma close the compilation with a track that definitely doesn’t sound like the rest: a freestyle progressive track with very distinct electro-influences, some breaks-elements and a groove that immediately reminded me of Ticons "Some Simple Sounds". The track seems chaotic at first, and I guess the sound will feel a bit flat and don’t appeal to some progressive psy listeners, but I find it interesting and quite entertaining. Certainly a different pick for ending the compilation, compared to most other releases.

Bottom line:

After the massive "Urban Legends" my expectations for "Lime Light" where very high, and luckily Tribal Vision once again delivered an extremely solid release with gems-a-plenty. Apart from the usual high quality material from the biggest artists, there’s also fresh material from new upcoming acts - especially Rai prove that he’s a really interesting discovery, and hopefully he’ll keep evolving in the years to come.

Also worth noticing is that the flow is very well-thought (just like on "Urban Legends"), and the tracks are so diverse that there’s enough nice surprises along the way to keep attention focused for almost all 78 minutes of playtime. Despite not all tracks being excellent, the compilation feels very complete, and Slater and Schwa prove that "Urban Legends" was no lucky punch, and Tribal Vision is a label of the future.

Favourites:

1 (!!), 2 (!!), 4, 7 (!!), 8

Verdict:

9/10 – Must-have

Link:

Tribal Vision Records: http://www.tribalvision.cz/

• 2 weeks later...

Very original release!

The main factor is "progressive" ranging from the very housy first half to the more trancy second part.

My instant favourites were Flowjob (really looking forward to hearing more stuff of them, as this grabs me more than their older stuf), Ticon (on a more melodic tip here, very trancy indeed: now whoop out that new cd , PLEASE) & the Minilogue track which is an absolute dancefloor-bomb!

Further more I loved the Vision & Canedy's use of samples from the New wave track Eisbeir by Grauzone (do correct me if I'm wrong!) & the vocals on the Rai-track, which might lack a form of tension for some...

I also enjoyed Holm & Andersen with Cityrain, which is once again more into the Housy side of this, but without losing grip on the steady rocking beat.

The last 2 tracks as well as the opening one didn't feel thàt special to me, but who knows, maybe they have to grow on me? I mean if I want elektro, I know better ...

As you can see, a lot of vocals in here, but I don't mind the sound of a (human) voice if it is used in such a briliant way as the Son Kite boys do with "Leloo".

All in all: very original & if this is not enough Trance 4U, be sure to check out the next compilation on Tribal Vision: Inner circle, which will focus on the more darker side of progressive

What a cool compilation!!! Nice booklet, cool design, carfullz selected tracks, Tribal Vision is really putting a lot of effort into its releases, this CD is a real joy. Im not gonna get into full detail, but tracks 1, 5, and 6 are my favorites. Jaia stands out with a nice slow groove and subtle smooth melodies, a pefect sweet track. Flowjob is really making me wanna hear more from them, it somehow reminds me a bit of Frogacult, but th ats a good thing. And I dont wanna boost an already overly inflated ego :P , but our very own EP aka Holmes and Anderson contributes a very long ( i loooooove the long tracks in general) tribal and trippy voyage that makes me wonder if hes not a big pothead in denial when hes sitting there in his studio. Im certainly looking forward to his soon to come album.

Leloo is of course also a real stomper but its old and i have listened to it too many times aleady. And special mention goes to Rai, who again shows shows that hes the master of all thigs fluffy and shiny, but to its too squeahy clean to be named with those other three tracks. Anyways, no bad tracks except the last one, highly recomended.

Guest Rain

it's time I check this one but my progessive mood hasn't been present lately...

when it comes back the first thing I do is listen to this one...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest The Journey Man Project

Had some listnes online and just ordered both compilations... this label sounds soooo tasty with so many nice artists behind it :)... My proggy collection is somewhat lacking right now, need and update, starting with these two and then another order when set 5 (Iboga) hits saikosounds :) Am off to see Reefer Decree live this weekend, so hope these arrive in time to get me i the mood for some deep proggy :)

Comp number 2 from Tribal Vision and this is another progressive treat. It is close to the high standard set by their first one (Urban Legends).

The album starts off very well with a relaxed track by Jaia and French 'Kisz' (is this hip-hop spelling?).

My other favourites are Rai (2) Minilogue (4), Flowjob (5), Holm and Andersen (6) and Leo (8).

I really loved Vision & Canedy's track 'Insane' on Insprirazzia (which is a brilliant comp in my view). So I was a bit disappointed with the track here (3). The last track with its heavy electro infuence is indeed different and is an acquired taste. It is nice to have something different like that in a comp but in truth I am not sure if I will listen to this particular track a lot. We shall see. I like some of Ticon's stuff, but his track did not rock my boat either.

Overall, I would recommend a purchase to those who like their progressive.

Pedro

• 2 weeks later...

Lime Light

Tribal Vision Records, 2005

Review Intro: One more cd for the summer, this time from new and promising label - Tribal Vision. The work hours of the day are over - 6PM here, the sun is shining, soft hot wind touches my body - I'm ready for a trip into the musical side of the lime light...

01. Jaia Vs. French Kisz "Drifting Planet" The trip starts with Jaia's collaboration with French Kisz, Jaia name straightly points me on a soft melodical morning themes. I found myself drifting away with this tune, with help of the flowing pads, aqua synths, spacey guitar lead and the soft chords variety.

9/10

02. Rai "Liquid" First time I hear a full track from that artist and to tell you the truth, it's not bad. This one even more dreamy then the previous, but more house oriented. It's a good cure for my brain after a busy day, very relaxing.

8/10

03. Vision & Canedy "Collected Vibes" Powerfull track with massive bass and nicely done percussion. It repeats but didn't managed to make me bored, good music for the massive clubbing.

9/10

04. Minilogue "Leloo" The more progressive side of Son Kite presents us a massive anthem. Great percussion work, massive lead sound that has a twisted feel, dreamy arpeggios and short female vocal that makes me attracted.

9/10

05. Flowjob "Cloud Politics" The danish duo started their project few years ago is a good surprise here. This one has more psychedelic influences in it then the previous tracks while the tempo is still calm. Solid groove keeps the track on the ground and the floating leads navigate me into somewhere up there.

8/10

06. Holm & Andersen "Cityrain" This is my first introduction to Holm & Andersen project, I wondered what Kristian of Elysium and his friend cooked for us. A combination of electro sounds, sample that drives the track here, echoed chords and smooth tribal groove. Good one but nothing so catchy

8/10

07. Ticon "Reflections" Ticon is one of my favourite acts on the Psy-Progressive side of trance. No surprises, Ticon did their job well! The bassline got the tone changes, that's great for making the dancer more into groove. Wonderfull morning melodies.

9/10

08. Leo "Music Design Revolution" First time I heard of that project is on this cd. Progressive house with less melodies and more percussion and effects in it. Nicely done but not keeps me up to it.

7/10

09. Shuma "Illektro Music" One more surprise for me, never heard their tracks before. Wow! That would be my favourite track on the compilation. 80's influence, dance music, freestyle, electro robotic style! Different from all the other tracks on this cd but hey I love difference!

9.5/10

Review Outro: Every progressive collector should fill his collection with this cd. Every tracks his its own story, due to that some may love different tracks more or less.

Cover Art: 9/10

Sound: 9/10

Album Concept: 9.5/10

Overall Rating: 9/10

ND.

• 3 years later...