Antix - Twin Coast Discovery

GaySatanicHippie

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what you mean this isn't a poor release or that EP doesn't think he is into progressive?  B)

272680[/snapback]

that its definitely not a poor release...

it may not be his taste, but to call it a ´poor release´ is pretty dumb.. the production levels are huge, there´s a lot of emphasis on the details, the ´story´ that the track tells are always excellent, you can hear its all very well done... but as I said, it may not be someone´s taste, though its not something you should call ´poor´ or ´mediocre´

Huge production levels, emphasis on details and a story told does not at all make for an interesting listen.

Antix has all of these but they also have musical creativity and originality.

272739[/snapback]

indeed, I didnt mean thats all there was to antix... but just some of the things that show it's not something 'poor'

Guest .::E.P

Thanks, EP, for letting me know that they release 'progressive' trance. After purchasing so many of their albums, I had no idea that they released 'progressive'. Wow! I thought they sounded more full-on and had them labelled as a Scandy version of Spun records.

Thanks for setting the record straight!

On a more serious note...this IS a relatively poor release whether you are aware that it is progressive trance or not (as EP seems to think I am).

Pedro

272653[/snapback]

You take things quite personal dont you?

I only reacted because you descibed their taget as the psy community which is quite far of what they target. I am aware of that some people from the psy community (does psy actually excist anymore?) buy the CD's but the majority of the buyers are people that listen to progressive trance/house. Not so-called psy. I prefer to call it Full On Hell.

But I agree that this is a weak release. Yes the production is good quality but somehow it just blend in with all the rest of the very clean sterotyped releases they seem to release these days. They tend to re-use their sounds a bit too much and frankly as good as their CD's sound just when you hear them the first time as fast it become boring. Just my opinion of course. I'd like to see Iboga get abit more dirty and variated. In my opinion they release too much Freq and Antix inspired music and too little experimental music.

But I agree that this is a weak release. Yes the production is good quality but somehow it just blend in with all the rest of the very clean sterotyped releases they seem to release these days.  They tend to re-use their sounds a bit too much and frankly as good as their CD's sound just when you hear them the first time as fast it become boring. 

272996[/snapback]

My opinion is exactly the opposite: I think the whole album gets better every time you listen to it! Actually, most Iboga albums have this quality, I think.

The first time I heard the Freq-cd I thought it was the same song over&over again, but after 2-3 sessions in discman/car/stereo it revealed it's diversity & quality. Same goes for this release.

I was of your opinion after the first time I heard the album but it has grown a lot on me since then. Keep in mind that this was made by the same ppl who made "Lull". If they wanted to make a cd with a similar sounds or a "Lull pt2" it probably wouldn't have taken them 2 years but only 6 weeks.

Unfortunately for the Storm-bros, their debut was so highly acclaimed, that ppl wànt something in that same style. This has been the case in the past with SBK, Haldolium & many others... I think it is a characteristic of truely innovative artists NOT to give in to that & keep evolving & developping new styles of music. You can call this "selling out" but in fact it would only be selling out if they would release the same cd over & over again instead of trying to explore new sounds.

So: very addictive cd, if you ask me :P just like Frogacult (another Iboga gem)

At least one band (& label) you can trust not to be relaesing any 80s-gone-psy-tracks in the future :D !

My opinion is exactly the opposite: I think the whole album gets better every time you listen to it! Actually, most Iboga albums have this quality, I think.

I was of your opinion after the first time I heard the album but it has grown a lot on me since then. Keep in mind that this was made by the same ppl who made "Lull". If they wanted to make a cd with a similar sounds or a "Lull pt2" it probably wouldn't have taken them 2 years but only 6 weeks.

Unfortunately for the Storm-bros,  their debut was so highly acclaimed, that ppl wànt something in that same style. This has been the case in the past with SBK, Haldolium & many others... I think it is a characteristic of truely innovative artists NOT to give in to that & keep evolving & developping new styles of music. You can call this "selling out" but in fact it would only be selling out if they would release the same cd over & over again instead of trying to explore new sounds. 

So: very addictive cd, if you ask me :P just like Frogacult (another Iboga gem)

At least one band (& label) you can trust not to be relaesing any 80s-gone-psy-tracks in the future :D !

273022[/snapback]

well said :)

But I agree that this is a weak release. Yes the production is good quality but somehow it just blend in with all the rest of the very clean sterotyped releases they seem to release these days.  They tend to re-use their sounds a bit too much and frankly as good as their CD's sound just when you hear them the first time as fast it become boring.  Just my opinion of course.  I'd like to see Iboga get abit more dirty and variated.  In my opinion they release too much Freq and Antix inspired music and too little experimental music.

272996[/snapback]

I think this release is definitely not typical Iboga style, when have they released an album before where no track goes over 130bpm? I think Antix developed away from their sound and found something non-stereotypical just as this release is a new direction for Iboga, I dont feel any Freq influence at all, like mentioned above the only influence I see is Infusion or the prog.house scene in general.

And of course TCD is not dirty at all, thats the whole point. THey werent going for the dirty funky thing, they were going for the warm floaty hug, and they achieved that to utmost perfection. If the warm floaty thing is not to your liking, thats a whole other matter, but I would not call TCD stereotypical.

BTW, your release on Lime Light isnt exactly dirty or funky either, its a great track , but if you call this stereotypical you need to examine your own stuff, cause I consider City Rain to be quite happy and floaty as well.

Guest .::E.P

I think this release is definitely not typical Iboga style, when have they released an album before where no track goes over 130bpm? I think Antix developed away from their sound and found something non-stereotypical just as this release is a new direction for Iboga, I dont feel any Freq influence at all, like mentioned above the only influence I see is Infusion or the prog.house scene in general.

And of course TCD is not dirty at all, thats the whole point. THey werent going for the dirty funky thing, they were going for the warm floaty hug, and they achieved that to utmost perfection. If the warm floaty thing is not to your liking, thats a whole other matter, but I would not call TCD stereotypical.

BTW, your release on Lime Light isnt exactly dirty or funky either, its a great track , but if you call this stereotypical you need to examine your own stuff, cause I consider City Rain to be quite happy and floaty as well.

274032[/snapback]

Where did I say that I aimed to make Cityrain dirty or funky? hmmmm But one things for sure... As you'll know sooner or later.. all my tracks will be different from track to track.

I simply just dont think Antix is all that great. Sorry but that's my opinion like it or not.

Guest The Journey Man Project

Whilst I must agree with EP that this album isn't exactly awe inspiring, it is ok for a bit of home listening or driving in the car... Iboga tend to release a couple of great works and then more often then not the same old sounds like this that never inspire much... I think they need to step outside the circle they are in... personally the only label seeming to reall push the limits for me is Boshke Bests, talk about inspring music :D

it inspires awe, alright...

awe, wowification, Oh My ´God´ing and ´What The Fuck´ification :lol:

tracks 3, 6 and 8 are like: wow man, will I ever like any other music?

:D

go go antix.. in these more ´house´ days for me, this one ´keeps me in the scene´..

one of the few cds that when I heard I could say ´fantastic!!´ (together with Ott and Kaya Project.. and a few others I dont remember)

• 3 months later...

Am I the only one who really likes track 1?  Maybe it's because I've never heard it before but I love the way it develops.

339328[/snapback]

nope, I like track 1 too, for sure

just that I already had it from va Playground... but its still defo good :)

although my favourite is still track 3 and the amaaaaazing break :D

• 1 month later...

Absolute gem. People that don't appreciate it should be laughed upon.

This is not Psy, this is not House. This is fucking brilliant music.

374366[/snapback]

I second that :)

and it works on all situations.. home, party, stoned, straight, tripping, before sex, after sex, during sex, with friends, alone, whatever

I liked this even though it took a bit of its time to get into my beat-frenzy head, it's so enjoyable that it fails to enter any genre, being a genre of its own. Yeah last track has vocals, but they fit so well in it that you go dancing and singing along without noticing it.

Some people might say this is house rubbish but in fact house music is just one more inspiration. We all hate that repetitive and slow progression and the shitty vocals in most house produced and heard in the dance clubs nowadays, but this is superior.

There was a lot of work in the studio and that is remarkable also. Every atmosphere is in its right place, and the tracks go with a lot of personality. Enjoy it or not, it's still one of the most sexy things out this year and I like it :)

• 1 month later...

Very well done album!

and GROOVEY too I might add.

Easily one of the best albums of 2005.

This can be heard at all times of the day

- and I think night compliments the album best.

I'm surprised it took until the end of 2005 for me to give this enough attention to want, bookmark, and get.

However I must add...some tracks clearly stand-out above others. There are no bad, or even decent (average) songs on this album. Whether it is your style or type of music is another thing.

I wouldn't compare Antix to psytrance because it's NOT. I also find it more influenced than simply "progressive," such a general term these days, especially with albums like these. The album will greatly appeal to club, house, prog, progressive trance, etc.. however many psytrance fans here seem to find it unattractive when an album is called "club" because I think they think full-on or general house music. That is clearly not the case here, because although certain songs sound more clubbish than others (something I'd here in a local club) they are not songs many listeners may think of as "those typical house/voices and singing" club music. These are not typical songs. They are far beyond that. If this is what house has evolved into, and several tracks on this album seem to be catagorized as such (HOUSE) more than others, than it's the best house music of the year.. with influences and songs that release it from those boundaries and let it breath into other genra's as well.

But why is FREQ starting the album off with an Antix Rmx? Was this really necessary? Not to nitpick, the opening track's far from bad, it's actually pretty good. Regardless, this is an Antix album, and one that sounds great without another artist taking up and tinkering with 15% of it. It would have been nice to see a brilliant opening (new track) by Antix here, not an opening dependent on someone else to remix one of theirs.