I want to move to cubase...

I don't know what you do...

I have a very sensitive ear and I'm a perfectionist, so I can't work with a software that hasn't got the best quality in the market... I love Fruity Loops, but the quality sounds just isn't the best for me.

Fruity is very friendly and easy to use. But I just want to move along. I know that if I'll stay there too long it would be much harder to move afterward.

I have seen people play in cubase and the quality in there is much better. And I did some tests between cubase and fruity in some plugins and there are differents in the quality. I have talked to people who know and used all the sound softwares for years, and they all told me that cubase has the best quality compare to others.

Now, I want to move to cubase but the interface is a killing... I can't manage anything. I'm too fruitylized.

I need some suggestions how to manage cubase's interface. I have tried several tutorials but they all skip many things and jump right to the point, and I get stuck.

Please help. I need your opinion. Stay or move? And if to move... Where to start in cubase?

:\

Sorry for the bad englih.

Thanks,

Carnage.

u just started with cubase...

so give it more time... there is no shortcut in music making, if u want the best sounding software u have to be ready to spend more time understanding it.. it's not like the user friendly fruity interface...

so get a manual... it will help a lot, print it and start reading..

then if u can get a friend to show u some stuff that would be great...

and practice practice...

when i went from reason to logic it also took me a while...

but once u master the pgm trust me u will never go back...

so stay with it and be patient... u will get it eventually :)

u just started with cubase...

so give it more time... there is no shortcut in music making, if u want the best sounding software u have to be ready to spend more time understanding it.. it's not like the user friendly fruity interface...

so get a manual... it will help a lot, print it and start reading..

then if u can get a friend to show u some stuff that would be great...

and practice practice...

when i went from reason to logic it also took me a while...

but once u master the pgm trust me u will never go back...

so stay with it and be patient... u will get it eventually :)

256903[/snapback]

Thanks for the support. :)

Fruity has spoilt me :(

Thanks for the support. :)

Fruity has spoilt me :(

256906[/snapback]

HI,

i have used FL for many years and I am too go for the cubase. All you need to know is midi theory.

There are som good books about this especially about cubase. I have one. It i very good. U learn all about recording, automation, mixing etc.

Problem is this book is in my language, but creator of this book use some other book s in English. I can see what books creator used and i will tell u.

If u want to use cubase is goot to do a good arangement of desktop. What was simply in fl there it can look more harder, but it is not true. Cubase has more possibilities than fl.

Yaroo

member of Mental Light

first jump to Reason and then to cubase.

257520[/snapback]

reason is a dead ended program... the possibilities are too limited...

i personaly started with Reason.. and i regret it now that i m thinking bout switching to logic...

one should always start with the best program right from the beginning... dont waste your time on Reason

get Logic or Cubase

gonna take a while to get used to it... but in the end it all pays off

I never understood why people seem to think cubase and logic is so complicated.

Maybe it's me who is ignorant because I grew up with using sequencers, and when notator and cubase came they seemed like a breeze to use compared with Dr T that I was using before that.

The mixing and routing is now when audio is integrated is maybe the cumbersome part, but still a lot easier than patching up and using a hardware studio.

Basically you have to find the matrix editor to edit your MIDI, move some blocks around to arrange and learn how to use inserts and busses to mix.

I would think that it should not take more than a couple of days to get going and be able to make a track.

Of course there is plenty of functions to explore, but thats extras and not needed for being able to make a tune.

I did have a quick look at reason the other day, and I never tried a piece of software that seemed so hard to do even the most basic things in.

And since it operates so differently than any other sequencer I would not recommend it to anyone as a stepping stone.

And the sound did not seem better than fruity, rather the opposite.

Fruity is also quite different in the way you use it and the beginners sequencer I think has the most intuitive interface is orion.

Thats in most ways like a scaled down version of cubase or logic.

But unfortunally the sound is as bad as in fruity and reason.

But if the major sequencers seems daunting to start with and you just want to have a play around I would think orion is the best option.

I would reccommend to focus on the basics.

A very slow scedule would be:

Day 1: Learn how to load an instrument and edit the MIDI notes and controllers.

Day 2: Learn how to insert FX and use busses.

Day 3: Learn how to move, cut and paste parts in the arrangement.

Day 4: Learn how to record and use automation.

Sure there is a lot more in a sequencer that can be useful to know in some circumstances, but that one can learn as one go along.

They are really not that complex pieces of software and to get started should not take that long.

Compared to Director or software like 3D MAX at least it's like learning how to use notepad I would think.

But like I said...I might not have a clue since I can't remember learning how to use a sequencer myself, so sorry if I come off as ignorant.

But hey...fake it til you make it.

If you think it will be easy it will make it easier in reality as well :)

I never understood why people seem to think cubase and logic is so complicated.

Maybe it's me who is ignorant because I grew up with using sequencers, and when notator and cubase came they seemed like a breeze to use compared with Dr T that I was using before that.

The mixing and routing is now when audio is integrated is maybe the cumbersome part, but still a lot easier than patching up and using a hardware studio.

Basically you have to find the matrix editor to edit your MIDI, move some blocks around to arrange and learn how to use inserts and busses to mix.

I would think that it should not take more than a couple of days to get going and be able to make a track.

Of course there is plenty of functions to explore, but thats extras and not needed for being able to make a tune.

I did have a quick look at reason the other day, and I never tried a piece of software that seemed so hard to do even the most basic things in.

And since it operates so differently than any other sequencer I would not recommend it to anyone as a stepping stone.

And the sound did not seem better than fruity, rather the opposite.

Fruity is also quite different in the way you use it and the beginners sequencer I think has the most intuitive interface is orion.

Thats in most ways like a scaled down version of cubase or logic.

But unfortunally the sound is as bad as in fruity and reason.

But if the major sequencers seems daunting to start with and you just want to have a play around I would think orion is the best option.

I would reccommend to focus on the basics.

A very slow scedule would be:

Day 1: Learn how to load an instrument and edit the MIDI notes and controllers.

Day 2: Learn how to insert FX and use busses.

Day 3: Learn how to move, cut and paste parts in the arrangement.

Day 4: Learn how to record and use automation.

Sure there is a lot more in a sequencer that can be useful to know in some circumstances, but that one can learn as one go along.

They are really not that complex pieces of software and to get started should not take that long.

Compared to Director or software like 3D MAX at least it's like learning how to use notepad I would think.

But like I said...I might not have a clue since I can't remember learning how to use a sequencer myself, so sorry if I come off as ignorant.

But hey...fake it til you make it.

If you think it will be easy it will make it easier in reality as well :)

258214[/snapback]

I wish it would be easy for me too soon. :\

Carnage listen to Spindrift Anyway make the move to Cubase that is where you want to be. When I started it was with Reason and I couldnt get a good sounding track so I made the move to Cubase. I bought this book.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...=books&n=507846

This book helped and still helps me alot, also read the Cubase manual. If you still have specific questions ask in the forums. My final advice make a lot of tracks this is how you will learn. Peace

Well, I don´t think Cubase is soo hard also... I read the "Getting Started" pdf file from Cubase SX, and after that it´s only practice...

I will give u my personal tips for begginers(once u are on the arrange, with no tracks):

-With right button on mouse u open a dialog box. First the most important are "Add audio track" "Add midi track" "Add FX track"...

-To load an audio file to the arrange: "Add audio track"... Then go to File->Import->Audio File. DONE!

-To play some chords on some vst: first open the vst box(F11). There u can load any vst u have installed... Load for example the a-1 synth from Cubase. Then "Add midi track"... Go to chanel config(on your left) and on "out" conection, chose the a-1 synth. Then choose the pencil tool(u will see lots of tools, like pencil, rubber, scisors, etc) and draw an event. Double click on the event so u are at piano roll. Just draw the notes u want!

-To view the mixer, F3. There u can load insert fx´s and use the send fx´s(I will explain later)...

-To use the send fx: "Add fx track"... Load the fx u want. Go to the mixer, go to the chanell u want, press the "e" button on the chanell. So u have the full chanell config. On your left it´s the inserts fx. On your right u can use the send fx´s(fx track u loaded)

-To view the "trasnport panel" where u can set the bpm track, press F2. NOTE: to change the bpm, u need to fix the bpm!

-PAY ATTENTION:

1)To move the boxes, check what´s the meaning of the box where u can chose from "Bar/Beat/Use Quantize"... For me it´s where Cubase is FAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRR better than Logic.

2)Press "j"... It´s the snap function. When it´s lit, the box will move according to the "Bar/Beat/Use Quantize" option. When not lit, u will fell that u can put the box wherever u want. I don´t use this function often!

I think that it´s a good start! There´re a lot of things more to discover...

Hope I helped!

Well, I don´t think Cubase is soo hard also... I read the "Getting Started" pdf file from Cubase SX, and after that it´s only practice...

I will give u my personal tips for begginers(once u are on the arrange, with no tracks):

-With right button on mouse u open a dialog box. First the most important are "Add audio track" "Add midi track" "Add FX track"...

-To load an audio file to the arrange: "Add audio track"... Then go to File->Import->Audio File. DONE!

-To play some chords on some vst: first open the vst box(F11). There u can load any vst u have installed... Load for example the a-1 synth from Cubase. Then "Add midi track"... Go to chanel config(on your left) and on "out" conection, chose the a-1 synth. Then choose the pencil tool(u will see lots of tools, like pencil, rubber, scisors, etc) and draw an event. Double click on the event so u are at piano roll. Just draw the notes u want!

-To view the mixer, F3. There u can load insert fx´s and use the send fx´s(I will explain later)...

-To use the send fx: "Add fx track"... Load the fx u want. Go to the mixer, go to the chanell u want, press the "e" button on the chanell. So u have the full chanell config. On your left it´s the inserts fx. On your right u can use the send fx´s(fx track u loaded)

-To view the "trasnport panel" where u can set the bpm track, press F2. NOTE: to change the bpm, u need to fix the bpm!

-PAY ATTENTION:

1)To move the boxes, check what´s the meaning of the box where u can chose from "Bar/Beat/Use Quantize"... For me it´s where Cubase is FAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRR better than Logic.

2)Press "j"... It´s the snap function. When it´s lit, the box will move according to the "Bar/Beat/Use Quantize" option. When not lit, u will fell that u can put the box wherever u want. I don´t use this function often!

I think that it´s a good start! There´re a lot of things more to discover...

Hope I helped!

259868[/snapback]

Thanks a lot. :)

Thanks a lot. :)

260093[/snapback]

Hi Carnage,

My advice is, stick to Cubase! I've started with Fruityloops and felt the need for something better. At first I was VERY disappointed at Cubase because of my previous experience with FL. The following tips helped me to get familiar with Cubase and I can tell you I would NEVER EVER fall back to FL now that I am aware of what Cubase can give me.

A good start would be to abuse of the help function. Everytime you don't understand something in the program, press F1 and use the "index" to find the part of the program you have no clue about (for example type "scrub"). There’s an entry for every function of the program, all you have to do is search a little cause sometimes multiple function are grouped into a big topic. You will understand the mechanics of the program very quickly.

Another important step in becoming more familiar with Cubase is to use the "Shortcuts & Key commands" list which is in chapter 18 of the manual. Make sure you use the search function of the help file to quickly find more info about each shortcut listed in chapter 18.

That way you will be a Cubase pro in no time!

Good luck

Regards

-Carthago

Hi Carnage,

My advice is, stick to Cubase! I've started with Fruityloops and felt the need for something better. At first I was VERY disappointed at Cubase because of my previous experience with FL. The following tips helped me to get familiar with Cubase and I can tell you I would NEVER EVER fall back to FL now that I am aware of what Cubase can give me.

A good start would be to abuse of the help function. Everytime you don't understand something in the program, press F1 and use the "index" to find the part of the program you have no clue about (for example type "scrub"). There’s an entry for every function of the program, all you have to do is search a little cause sometimes multiple function are grouped into a big topic. You will understand the mechanics of the program very quickly.

Another important step in becoming more familiar with Cubase is to use the "Shortcuts & Key commands" list which is in chapter 18 of the manual. Make sure you use the search function of the help file to quickly find more info about each shortcut listed in chapter 18.

That way you will be a Cubase pro in no time!

Good luck

Regards

-Carthago

260335[/snapback]

Thanks, I'll try to stick with all of yours' help. :)

Carnage.

• 2 months later...

Reason is not a dead end, only if you lack skill and imagination. Reason is very powerful and unique! Treat Reason as a tool and you will succeed.

I recommend Cubase tutorials by Ask Video. You will just have to make track afte track until you get good. Its all about experience. It might take you a year to get comfy with this program!! But its worth it.

Since you are familiar with Fruity I recommend you start with using the GM Drum maps. Create a MIDI track, then set it to GM Drum mode. Add sounds to it or load Battery2 VST. This will give you a Fruity-like composing interface.

I think in time you will think FL interface is horrible. It is great for instant music making, but beyond that FL has the worst user interface ... worse than cubase! haha.

You might also want to try Ableton Live. Its very easy to use and sounds great too. Unfortunatly for sequencing, I think Live has a really bad midi editor.

The only thing I think is better than Cubase is Logic 7... but then u need Mac!!

reason is a dead ended program... the possibilities are too limited...

i personaly started with Reason.. and i regret it now that i m thinking bout switching to logic...

one should always start with the best program right from the beginning... dont waste your time on Reason

get Logic or Cubase

gonna take a while to get used to it... but in the end it all pays off

258186[/snapback]

please dont take this advice too literal

if you ignore reason you miss out on a whole world of possibility!!

there are amazing thing you can do with reason, the only thing that compares is Reaktor5!

and you can combine reason with cubase!! :)