RAH

Compilation: Vibraspirit Vol. 11

Label: Sun Dance records.

Year: 2005

Format: CD

Web: Web: http://www.sundance23.com/

Posted Image

Songs

01. Angry Dwarf - Continuum (142 BPM's in F m)

02. Toast3D - Makes No Sense (145 BPM's in D m)

03. Vibe Tribe - Ananda (144 BPm's in E m)

04. Max - Eternal (142 BPm's in F m)

05. The Misted Muppet - Photos of Ghosts

(148 BPm's in E m)

06. Talpa - Multiple Orgasm Disorder

(145 BPm's in D #m)

07. Xatrik - Play This Tune (144 BPm's in D m)

08. Proteus - Parasight (144 in D#m)

09. Rhombus - New Wave Saturday Night Chickens

(144 BPm's in D m)

10. Smuhg - Transparance (145 BPm's in D#m)

My Highlights:

* Angry Dwarf - Continuum

From the first track of the compilation the music coming out of the speakers is warning us this is a different progressive/morning sound to the one we have grown accustomed to. If you are finding it increasingly difficult to differentiate from one artist to another these days, you are not alone. The creative stagnation is over from the first song. For starters, there is a crazy Serbian Dwarf behind the sequencing window creating some truly captivating work in “Continuum”. The first half of the tune is a steady progression with original drum work vibrating with organic beats and hypnotic effects. The second half arrives in the break as the synth’s intertwine with an arpeggio peaking to the heavens fused in myriad noises. Before the sonic madness starts to loose cohesion, from the back an awe-inspiring mellody slaps you in all its tuneful glory.

* The Misted Muppet - Photos of Ghosts

This is one twisted tune. It literally feels like someone curled it up a few times and spat it back. It is borderline scary to the degree of being highly enjoyable. Freaky sounds, interesting samples tweaked with god-knows-what as the riffs and melodies switch back and forth between jarring discordia and harmonious distortion. The groundwork remains powerful and encompassing as every frequency on the equalizer lingers glued to the top.

* Xatrik - Play This Tune

Picking up the pace of the compilation with a relentless bass line and original effects in minimal fashion “Play this tune” is designed to get you going. In effective accord with the sub-melodies and gliding samples zooming from the left to right like a fighter jet. As a matter of fact, I’m pretty sure they sampled that that at one point or another too. This one gets brownie points for the hilarious sample of Homer Simpson playing the Xylophone (for a second or two, no harm done). Mind you it’s not the only time they do so in this release. Max – Eternal shows us some “Max Power” as well.

* Proteus – Parasight

Parasight offers a complex interaction of sounds and melodies glued together with energetic kicks, included the heavenly voice samples and the flamenco guitars like Pop Stream (in “Fuego en la Rumba” showcased in Time and Space Part 3) could only hope to arrange. It is funky but, not pop-ish and highly psychedelic on the senses. Proteus’ talent is literally overflowing out of this song that remains on the progressive side without being ostentatious.

Samples by Chaos Unlimited

This review was Originally Posted @ Sonic-Energy.net

• 3 weeks later...

Cool :)

Nice of them to write out the key for each track, or did you key those yourself?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is a very nice compilation from one of my favourite labels.

Having said that, I think that their two other comps (Vibraspirit 23, Sundaze) were more exciting.

The tracks I enjoyed the most were (1), (4) and (6). I also liked the remaining, with the exception of (8), with which I did not connect.

Pedro

I have never understood the Sundance hype and this compilation does not help to improve my understanding. Most tunes have a couple of good ideas, but not enough to carry an entire track.

Toast 3D sound like another Infected Mushroom rip off and Vibe Tribe delivers the usual cheese. Max' Eternal offering is littered with samples, Homer Simpsons and Bill Hicks in the same tune, please! Misted Muppet, last years best album, delivers a forgettable heard-it-before number. Talpa is a bit interesting, mainly because his sound quality has improved a lot since his debut album, his future album could be what the debut gave glimpses of, but this tune is lacking that extra something.

Sundance's aim, to bring us "the best of the underground and close to ground Melodic psy trance" is admirable, but in the end, it doesn't deliver. If that is your goal, there's no room for overused israeli cliches ala Toast 3D and Vibe Tribe.

There are a couple of good contributions; Angry Dwarf, Proteus, Rhombus, but that's it. The Proteus track is far above the rest and the real standout number on this compilation. I'm so tired of excellent tunes being held hostage on otherwise boring compilations. I've been waiting for Proteus music to get a proper release ever since I first heard his music some years ago, Proteus deserves something better than this!

If you're looking for melodic psy, try Suntrips Aspara compilation instead of this one.

The Angry Dwarf tune... -> OH MY GOD!!!!! What a CLIMAX!

I thought the first two Sundance comps were indeed absolutely fantastic comps. This one is not as good (a Vibe Tribe track should have been a warning...), but still has some very enjoyable tracks.

Pedro

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for the feedback :) I'm glad people liked that track, even though it is more than 2 years old and production is far from good (since it was done on headphones, lol)... there is a whole album ready and waiting for me to grasp some time and remaster and reproduce everything with dancefloor compatible kicks, cymbals and bass synths... but since music falls into my secondary activity, I don't see that happening before begining of the next year...

but it is really nice to hear that ppl like something slightly off the standard psy-production line that has taken it's toll in the past few years on the creativity in sound and especcialy melodies in psy and goa...

frankly I think this is a good compilation and a very brave one, and thanks to franny for having the guts and balls to release things that are different from the mass production :D

I agree - Sundance is one of the best labels around right now - they put out colorful melodic and unusual sounding stuff on their compils...

This compil pretty well rocks - I even like the Vibe Tribe track (though I love "cheesy" happy stuff)..

Fav track would have to be the Xatrik tune - WOW!

This comp has some good tracks, but overall Apsara is better to my taste.

348960[/snapback]

Well, these two are different styles, you can't compare monkeys and apples ;)

What I don't get about SunDance is Vibe Tribe and all this neo-pseudo-full-on-psy :/ I must say I like Vibe Tribe very much (Yes, I do! And I don't care what you think). If I want this kind of music I look at Utopia's compilations. SunDance has brought us Talpa, Nystagmus, Angry Dwarf... kinda IM style, but still unique. I hope they continue with this.

yeah, I agree... there are so many full on labels that it kinda stands out, but then again, who says that compilations have to be like albums (modern production) one song goes on for 72 minutes with some slight variations... I like when a compilation cosits of different sounding tracks, that's why it is a compilation :) I don't get this new psy mainstream production... it's all the same and comes down to who has a better kick or hhats...

aaanyway, tonight I'm off to listen to Hallucinogen Live!!! :))))) can't wait! if only this damn rain would stop :///

aaanyway, tonight I'm off to listen to Hallucinogen Live!!! :))))) can't wait! if only this damn rain would stop :///

349018[/snapback]

Good luck, it's gonna be nice! I wish that was what I was doing to night aswell :rolleyes:

I really like this comp its a real eye opener!

favorits tracks has to be of: Angry Dwarf, Max, Tapla and Xatrik! Its just mind blowing! Thank you guys!!! :D

I have never understood the Sundance hype and this compilation does not help to improve my understanding. Most tunes have a couple of good ideas, but not enough to carry an entire track.

284126[/snapback]

Wrong! ;)