Constructing the base sounds for a Full-On track.

In the Full-On music i noticed that there must be at least 4 sounds in a row. Example:

Kick,Clap,Hat,Snare ... and again ... Kick,Clap,Hat,Snare ... and so on...

Not including the bass and the other sounds of the track. Just the basis for the Full-On.

Now... Did I understood it correctly? And if I did, which sounds do you use for this row besides the Kick in order to make a NORMAL ( not psy yet :| ) Full-On Basis? Like... Let's say that will sound close to "Alien Project" or "Astrix"...

Thanks.

*Sorry for my bad english :\

I think you misunderstood it. there don't have to be 4 sounds in a row (I think you mean a drum on every 1/16th note?).

It's also not just the drums that make a track "full-on" but it's the whole package.

Kicks and highhats are basis for drums in psytrance usually. But the bassline is extremely important too. Ofcourse it's good to use other percussion and different highhats to make things interesting, but it's up to you to play with it and figure it out.

Also don't stick so much to the term full-on but just go make music and see what happens. The basis you want is something around 140-145 bpm (I guess) with a kick on every beat. for the rest be creative :lol:

Also just listen carefully to some cd's you like and figure out what they use (closed eyes in the dark with headphones works best for this) Don't underestimate listening carefully, you really can learn a lot from it. Also look at the other post a few posts below this one, it's about drums too.B)

like I said, there aren't basics to make a track a spectacular journey, it takes skill, not basics. Just modify your sounds so that they fit your criteria.

listen to your fav artists and see how they do it

ps your link doesn't work

In the Full-On music i noticed that there must be at least 4 sounds in a row. Example:

Kick,Clap,Hat,Snare ... and again ... Kick,Clap,Hat,Snare ... and so on...

it isn't like that. you need to get that out of your head.

read my first reply here.

also I think claps are very rare in this kind of music and snares are also not really used like you did it in the example.

as a strart try to change the claps and snares in your example into only highhats (not a few different ones, just one type of highhat). play with the velocity of the highhats and also try leaving one out here and there

I didn't thought the claps and the snare and etc should be there... Only for the example... To make the feeling that there is no time to breath. No space spare. I think that's the real atmosphere that should be in a full-on track.

Thanks any way.

I'd love to hear more opinions on the subject. And what sounds should I put instead of the claps and etc...

Thanks,

Carnage.

kicks on the 1st beat on each measure...

snares on 2nd and 4th....

hihats on the off beat...

u can also have running hihats with 4 16th notes in a row

like this: K = kick, S = snare, H = hihats, h = running hihats

K K K K

S S

H H H H

hhhhhhhhhhhhh

hope that makes sense...

those are basics, don't feel like u have to do it just like that...

experiment :)

Another Test for the full-on that I made now (With benf52's tips):

http://briefcase.walla.co.il/data/c/a/r/n/...159426749/1.mp3

Any seggestions? Except for putting more "soul" sounds for it... Don't look about the music itself... Only the basic sounds.. it's only a TEST... I would never work with this crap...

Thanks,

Carnage.

Any seggestions? Except for putting more "soul" sounds for it... Don't look about the music itself... Only the basic sounds.. it's only a TEST... I would never work with this crap...

Thanks,

Carnage.

249723[/snapback]

Lol, sorry but that sounds terrible! :) Get rid of that melody-like thingy and replace it with a bassline instead, i think that will sound better.

Oh, that was the bassline? :D lol, well make it a couple of octaves lower then (; try using a tb-synth with a low frequency too.

well... it sounds very out of tune. the percussion is better though than before.

you should read the post from a few days back about making songs in a certain key.

Also maybe it's a good idea to start with something that's a little easier to make, I mean something with less layered sounds than fullon.

its hard to say something in here.

if you want to create fullon, there must be a baseline, according to this sample.

the melody is flatten to itself and with the background, there must me connection with everything even itsa minimal, dark, ambient... where is melody - there must be harmony to everything.

my suggest:

try create only 2 long connected melodies, and next a passage between them.

sorry for my poor english

Only the basic sounds.. it's only a TEST... I would never work with this crap...

Thanks,

Carnage.

249723[/snapback]

Ummmmm.... What "crap" are you referring to carnage?

its hard to say something in here.

if you want to create fullon, there must be a baseline, according to this sample.

the melody is flatten to itself and with the background, there must me connection with everything even itsa minimal, dark, ambient... where is melody - there must be harmony to everything.

my suggest:

try create only 2 long connected melodies, and next a passage between them.

sorry for my poor english

250027[/snapback]

Seismic, what you're trying to say sounds beautiful, but I can't decipher what it means. Nice try tho :P

Here's a tip that helped me a lot melody wise. I made a image in paint that has some melodies, kinda like this: http://cruelty.dyndns.org/scales.jpg I then paste that image as my "background" in fruity loops.

It obviously helps if you learn some music theory too, that way you can apply different modes to those scales. AND, remember you don't have to follow scales, it'll usually sound bland if you follow them exactly (esp minor/major)

Also maybe it's a good idea to start with something that's a little easier to make, I mean something with less layered sounds than fullon.

249858[/snapback]

I agree totally. Try making some cheesy trance music or something. Making something simple like that helps you get familiar with the program/sounds without having to make it really complex (psy).