3. kick and fly

4. new generation

5. in my mind

6. symphonic

7. celebration

8. wake up

9. like a dream

General

Well here they are back again with their third album wake up... their first release in 2003 'overwhelming' was a big refreshment to me, very smoot and light melodic progressive... comparing to other artist who kept the progressive more dark cosmic tone proved like cosma that progressive could be melodic too and still be progressive... their basslines were very deep and hard ticking and everything fitted in the right place...

Their second album 'going solo' was one of the two artist comsic tone actually going solo If I remember this correctly... well it was more then a dissapointment... In 'going solo' comsic tone had created a very good concept... smooth, warm en emototional... lot's of people still called it progressive but I didn't imho... it is true that 'going solo' wasn't that explosive and hard comparing to other fullon artist but that doenst't make it progressive... something is progressive because it contains certain elements not because it doesn't... so there they are in 'going solo' with the typical morning fullon formula... Still 'going solo' was very boring... they just used the same sound en formula every song over & over and changed and reformed it but that's it... after 2 tracks you had it big time... still I never stopped believing in this artist... listening to the track 'the comsic story' released on compilation 'Blue Leprechaun I knew he had potential and could create very good songs... that's whay this album draw my attention in the first place...

Wake up is nothing like 'going solo', it seems that comsmic tone have learned from their mistakes because this album is filled but filled with diversity... Their concept is the same... still warm, smooth and gentil tracks from beginning to end.... but here comsic tone plays with the psychedelic sounds and basslines like never before... they use their typical morning sounds like we used to know them from 'going solo' but only as a climax or a little wave in the beginning... many other sounds are used and reformed... this isn't repetetive at all anymore... also the basslines contain lots of diversity... they are not afraid to go faster, slower or use a progressive bassline instead of a morning fullonb bassline...

Well to say this release is more direction morining fullon then 'going solo' it is sometimes faster but again everything fits perfectly at the right place... Remarkalbe is that their new sounds are more crystalclear comparing to going solo and are a satisfaction to the human brain... You don't have to wait for a climax cause wake up creates brain acitivty form the first until the last second...

1. open your eyes

starts with a very very free floathing sounds... directly you know this is again the warm and gentil concept I was hoping about, lot's of changing the bassline creates big diversity what I like a lot in fullon... continue the same bass line creates a boring feelling imho... their typical comsic tone sound is present but is so light and smooth that it caresses you ear...

2.sound processor

start with a 'walk in the woods' bassline always great imho... De psychedelic sounds are crystalclear and then BAM ! a fast fullon bassline fills my living room and the track begins... At 2.24 min they change their bassline again what is so so major cool... I like this one a lot... the bassline are very light but strong and keeps you motivated all the release long... the typical stop, whiiiiiii and off we go is safe but not used to much like other fullon aritst too...

3. kick and fly

start again with a total new bassline never heard in this release before, again they suprise me with their diversity... the typical cosma ticking at every bassline brings back good old memories and makes it all better. De climax is full, plays with your mind and is made straight from the heart, very emotional...

4. new generation

is direct fullon bassline ahead, go go go !!, de psy sounds stay very smooth and gentil like we know them, here we experience more the typical 'going solo' waves what is a good thing cause I liked them and they didn't use them too much this time...

5. in my mind

start with a slower bassline but changes into a fast fullon bassline... sometimes they stop, use progressive minded bassline and go back to fullon = great, de sounds are very mystique, emotional and create brain activity...

6. symphonic

here we go back to the 'overwhelming' style in the beginning... this is pure progressive like we knew them in 2003 and it's great... this one has long been one of my favourites. And then what do expect the fullon bassline start and it's perfect... the switch is perfect done good work comsic tone... we hear again the comsic sounds together with new fresh sounds never heard before... diversity in bassline and melodies...

7. celebration

starts with a mystique intro that creates the need for more. De bassline is 100% morning fullon and very fast... this is pure kick ! de cosma ticking againg is very safe and glad that's it's still been used.... de bassline is very motivating and goes higher, lower and faster to the end of the track... this is uplifting and a track for the morning glory...

8.wake up

is pure morning fullon, no progressive influences anymore... still with such a fast bassline cosmic tone still stays very gentil and smooth... no explosives at all but everything at the right time and place.... Motivation, dynamic and uplifting... De sounds are also faster comparing to other tracks and go along with the fast bassline... they speaks as we say and play with the mind...

9. like a dream

isn't a chill out songs like I expected but the same pleasure like 'wake up'... very fast but light tikking bassline... from the beginning you can hear the slight comsic tone waves and some new sounds we already heard but stills sound very great... the climax is the biggest wave you hear in this release and very strong represented...

this is one of the best 2005 gave me until now

Uupps I couldn't disagree more on the review above.

I mean if an artist is copying himself over and over again it is Cosmic Tone. Yes you are right about "Going Solo" it was boring all in all, cause all the tracks sound very similar. But at least I could enjoy some of them because of the progression and melodies. There could be found some kind of an unique Cosmic Tone Sound.

And what do we have here with "Wake Up"? 9 tracks copying everything from Going Solo. Same melodies, same key all over and over, same build ups, same sounds, same effects. Ok maybe not the same progressive touch cause it has more cheesy melodies in it and the progression is less driving, but that's it.

Yes I know taste and feeling about music is different. So I may not be right with my 2Cents :-)

fohat

no one is original these days and everybody copy/paste...

If I have to consider that in every revieuw I would have to rate each album released in 2005 3/10...

sorry

no one is original these days and everybody copy/paste...

If I have  to consider that in every revieuw I would have to rate each album released in 2005 3/10...

sorry

249956[/snapback]

that's not true you're just picking out the wrong cd's:

good non formulated music from 2005

megalopsy : the abstract machine (trishula)

v.a. : boldly audio (sanaton)

v.a. : mushy mystery (trishula)

v.a. : r.m.r (nabi)

v.a. : lost soul depots (temple twisters)

v.a. : in crypto (ketuh)

v.a. : inner panic (manic dragon)

v.a. : what is the rush (alkaloïd)

I'm sure there are many more ,in different styles then I have mentioned.

Ok you can argue about my taste but not about the fact that it is copy past music or not.

well you just took me too letteraly... off course not each album but still 80%...

it was just a matter of speak.... you're right I know what you mean....

• 2 weeks later...

I mean if an artist is copying himself over and over again it is Cosmic Tone. 9 tracks copying everything from Going Solo. Same melodies, same key all over and over, same build ups, same sounds, same effects. Ok maybe not the same progressive touch cause it has more cheesy melodies in it and the progression is less driving, but that's it.

249842[/snapback]

Exactly what I thought by hearing new Cosmic Tone! Every track reminded me with "deep in my soul". Well, I like Cosmic Tone, mix him a lot- he really has a great hand for songs, rhythm & wide melodies. But quite equal, too equal.

I found myself a simple recepy with Cosmic Tone: don't listen to the whole album through (like you can easily do with Sil.Sound, Lish, Tegma......), just pick single traxx from it & enjoy. Cos THEN you enjoy Cosmic Tone's great tones B) - seen as single tracks every track is a little fine & very precious piece of music - and seen as TRACKS they are surely among the finest this year.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Le Lotus Bleu

For me too, the tracks looks like too much the same, same leads, rythmic, the patterns seems to be used in a different order or very few changed to make 9 tracks from one unique basis.

I even don't see too much changes between the Wake Up & Going Solo albums.

I don't dig the samples, like the one with Madonna.

Nevertheless i agree with Decibelle, listening to the whole album isn't great but if you pick one track & another later it's getting decent.

Personally, i would advice not to buy it except if you're a Cosmic Tone fan or then in second hand for morning harcore lovers.

• 7 years later...

I still agree with my review above 8 years later, (beside the engrish :D )

It looks like I'm the only one who likes this type of fullon,

and this release is still sometimes in my playlist.

It's repetitive, correct but if you like the concept, then you don't mind :)