Psynews Contest

Come on guys the second meaning of this joke was to show you that you cant start it already and host in own contest site. Start to do something and not just wait for mars reply, I'm sure he will be interested.

;)

Cheerious

ND

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Done ProSect :)

I been thinking that I could help out a little bit.

The deal would be like this:

I master the tracks and host them on resonantearth, so people can get 128k free, buy 320k or FLAC for download or order physical CD's.

So basically all you need is some winners and a cover and I do the rest.

But if there is interest I like to be clear on a few things:

My sever is already quite heavily loaded as it is and is not very fast, neither is my internet connection. I have 1Mb upload speed wich seems to refuse to give more than 120k to one user. If 100 users would come at the same time trying to download it wont keep up well. It would mean each user can get max ~7k, and thats if the server will keep up ok.

I doubt that there will be 100's of simultaineous users though, but maybe it would be a good idea to at least host the free 128k files on a separate page and host. That would be 90% of the traffic most likely.

I'm willing to take the chance, but I cannot guarantee a really good service if it becomes more popular than I anticipated.

The CD's would be high quality diamond surface CDR (looks just like a pressed CD).

Ful colour print on CD body and artwork.

But it will be CDR.

The material will be released under the same license and as separate downloads as well just like other tracks on resonantearth.

I guess for most people what license is used does not really matter, but that would probably exclude members of royalty organisations.

The only payment I accept on the site is paypal.

The agreement I have with the artists on the site is that for every sold download or track sold on a CD $0.65 goes to the artist and is paid with paypal.

The works out at a bit varying percentage dependent on how many tracks people buy at one time and in what format.

Some examples so you get an idea:

If someone buys a single 320k mp3 track $0.65 is 100% of whats left after paypal fees.

If someone gets a compilation as mp3 it's about 90% to the artists.

For 10 FLAC files not from a compilation it's a bit more than 50%.

I been contemplating to offer both mastering, server space and CD burning before.

But just like Colin said....mastering a whole compilation can be a lot of work.

Especially if not all tracks have top-notch production, but I'm sure they will in this case ;)

Burning and sending CD's is also quite much work, and the few dollars I charge on top of the download price does not cover for much more than CDR's, cases, paper and cartriges.

I don't mind to do some free work for the scene, but I already spend plenty of time running RE and making music only for the fun of it, and I have open source projects I'm working on...again in a PLUR spirit.

So I have to deal with the responsibilities I already been taking on first of all and cannot say yes to any opportunity to help out that is offered.

But after thinking a bit I figured that it could be a win-win situation if I did release the competition on RE because it would maybe give some of the artists that already is on the site more attention as well as promote the winners and make it easy for you guys to get going with launching the competiton.

I'm willing to help in every way that I can. Whatever that is :)

368786[/snapback]

i believe that the mp3 online compilation would be more successful than the CDs sales. artists would get some promotion through psynews, and maybe/probably even some labels will download our compilation.

i haven't seen yet any label to actually buy CDs in order to find new talents ...

so, speaking from the mp3 release point of view ...

@ Spindrift: what is the part that you would do for free?

@ Spindrift: what is the part that you would do for free?

368893[/snapback]

I hoped my post was quite thourough on what I was offering, but maybe it was not so clear.

I'm not gonna produce CD's, host, master and provide sales of downloads all for free.

But I do it without taking profit.

Allt those parts together could make it a good thing fo me since it maybe helps promoting the site and the artists.

You have to decide if that sounds good to you.

I could consider doing only mastering if I know what would happen with the compilation and what license it would be under.

If the CD press, distributor and/or shops should be involved you can ask them if they do it for free. If they agree to that I do as well :)

But if it's an mp3 compilation, just one CD and an open license I'll can imagine doing it.

My opinion is that no one should charge anything for doing this "job".. I wont step anyone over their toes. Just say that in my opinion those that participate no matter what they do should do everything for free (no money exchange whatsoever) and all money should go to the artists (in case of online sale or Cd sale).

As I said I am willing to host all the music on a 1gb very fast server....free of charge!

And no i wont participate with a track of my own so I am not being greedy when I think the artists should get all the money.

are you afraid of losing?  :ph34r:  :P

369385[/snapback]

no not at all. But I am so behind making my new releases for next year that I dont have the time :)

I could maybe help hosting the final compilation on my webspace, got 50 gigs of traffic per month. And of course I'd like to participate. Someone start this contest please :)

Here we all march out our pet causes, evidently... personally I think the contest would be 100x better if there were simply no money involved at any level.

369435[/snapback]

word.

I could maybe help hosting the final compilation on my webspace, got 50 gigs of traffic per month. And of course I'd like to participate. Someone start this contest please :)

369449[/snapback]

50 gigs is killargh

@Cybernetika

I would recommend that you check how much it would cost if you use more than 50Gb/mnth.

I use about 80Gb for RE, and I could well imagine that this comp would get more traffic.

I like to once again make clear that I have no intetentions to make money.

So far with the deal I have on resonantearth have worked out as a minus for me if I don't count in getting money from Spindrift/Steptime/Maximizers tracks.

Using cafeexpress or printing CD's on the other hand does involve parts that will take a profit from their work.

Since thats been discussed a lot I thought I can offer an alternative where all profit goes to the artists.

But I agree that a free mp3 compilation is maybe a better idea.

Better to keep business out of it.

50 gigs is killargh

369458[/snapback]

the server size is not 50 gigs. Anyway i pull myself out of this.. This start to look like a competition of who's got the biggest ;)

good luck with the competition :)

Really, all that is needed is someone with a half decent connection and a half decent computer that they can leave on.

Maybe someone here have a 10Mb connection....if you live in a big city in Sweden there is no excuse not to :)

But I would say a 1Mb connection would do. If it's many users at the same time it will be a bit slow, but at least it will be no nasty surprises like it could be for someone who offer to use a hosted account.

It's a shame Kris made a 180 degree turn.

I don't know what made him think thats it a contest about who has the biggest.

I said mine is not very fast, and Cybernetica said he have limited transfer per month.

The reason I commented that 50Gb is maybe not enough was just because I hate to see Cybernetica ending up with a bill on a few $100 that he might not have expected.

Otherwise I'm sure what he offers is like John Holmes and my offer like an average Chinese ;)

(no offence to all the Chinese out there, just stereotyping for the sake of the example)

I have a 10/10mbit connection. 10mbit down, and 10mbit up - but as i only have my music pc, wich is a stable workhorse for my productions, i wont let anything happen to it. So if someone sends me a pc, then i'll be willing to provide the fast connection - and believe me - its fast :D

EDIT: Btw, my connection is unlimited. By that i mean, i can transfer as much data i like for the price i pay each month.

Forget a free MP3 compilation, put out a free WAVE compilation!

If everyone involved in the community gets the torrents flowing our collective wangs will far outweigh all the individuals with web sites!

[/soapbox]

369563[/snapback]

You are so fanatic about BT and wav files :)

I don't share your enthusiasm for neither of those choices so I will winch a bit.

Using BT would for sure be an alternative, so distribution is there, and if there is a choice thats fine.

The thing is that BT is very slow and unreliable IMO. Ok it might be accessible for the fist few days when many people download, but at least in my experience it's less than ideal.

Hosting is better....but it does cost money and/or a bit of effort, so maybe it's not possible.

I would say to make it a bit faster to download for people use FLAC instead of wav.

Both with BT and from most webservers I rarely get more than 100k on my 8Mb connection.

Downloading and installing FLAC takes two minutes.

One compilation as wav takes usually at least 30 minutes extra to download compared to if it would have been FLAC.

I don't want to put anyone down, just adding my $0.2. All ideas and offers is of course great.

There for sure never be one solution which everyone really agrees with 100%, but someone just have to take charge and make it happen and I'm sure it will all work out fine.

the server size is not 50 gigs.  Anyway i pull myself out of this.. This start to look like a competition of who's got the biggest ;)

good luck with the competition :)

369545[/snapback]

it's not the first time you do this. in, out, in, out.

i am happy that people are willing to help. there is no server competition. it's people bringing solutions, damnit.

You are so fanatic about BT and wav files :)

The thing is that BT is very slow and unreliable IMO. Ok it might be accessible for the fist few days when many people download, but at least in my experience it's less than ideal.

Downloading and installing FLAC takes two minutes.

One compilation as wav takes usually at least 30 minutes extra to download compared to if it would have been FLAC.

369577[/snapback]

Dude, you're talking about 30 minutes of extra download time... BT is fine if there are dedicated seeders. The point is to get something that gets big files around that doesn't cost anyone anything.

Then again my perspective may be different... I remember setting up downloads for a night on a 9600 baud, nabbing the earliest of mp3s and becoming exposed to this wild and wonderful music we're all into...

Anyway the technology is secondary - I know bittorrent isn't ideal. If we all had mega bandwidth and could have an ftp site up or just fling things over the web then fine. But it's not like that - someone's got to pay, and not everyone has mad hosting to participate and help out. What everyone here DOES have is an internet connection... many people are on broadband. If people feel like making a bit of effort (and that's what a contest is about - getting people to make effort) then it wouldn't be a problem at all. I sure would like to motivate people to get off their asses and stop sitting there merely being consumers... get involved, right! There's lots of things people can do aside from sitting there sucking up atmosphere.

Mind you, you're doing something cool, and in a much different way, so just keep on with that :D my fanaticism is not incompatible with yours! haha...

it's not the first time you do this. in, out, in, out.

i am happy that people are willing to help. there is no server competition. it's people bringing solutions, damnit.

369686[/snapback]

Excuse me? I said that since there are so many other that seem to be willing to help out with a server i pull myself out. Why have 3-4 people who's jumping to help with the same thing?

So stop this nagging!

And it's not like it was decided and final that I host the server.

Edited by Kris

The reason I commented that 50Gb is maybe not enough was just because I hate to see Cybernetica ending up with a bill on a few $100 that he might not have expected.

Otherwise I'm sure what he offers is like John Holmes and my offer like an average Chinese ;)

(no offence to all the Chinese out there, just stereotyping for the sake of the example)

369560[/snapback]

Thanks, I know what happens to those who exceed their traffic limit ;) ... I just thought I could help hosting, lets say I provide the alternate mirror for the files, or host half of the files...

About the bittorrent thing: I am a huge fan of the bittorrent network and would in any case contribute my bandwidth to spreading the files... but I think that most people wont accept it... you've got to download bittorrent, set it up properly, organize downstream and upstream, etc... I dare to say that you will get 50% less downloads if you offer only a bittorrent link because people are too lazy for that thing :P ... As an alternative option, okay, but not as the only option.

Cybernetika, thanks, i appreciate your support :)

you have rocked in the past and you still do :)

we may take your offer, but there is no rush. nothing has begun yet. nothing is decided yet.

i was also thinking that we could use 1-2-3-4 servers for uploads and downloads, depending on how small or big this contest gets.