Psynews Contest

Hi everybody - my first visit to Psynews in a year or two (shame on me!)

It's incredibly great to hear that someone out there remembers music I made three years ago - it soothes! For those interested, I still make music when I have the time, and would really like the psynews contests to roll again... It was (is!) a great idea, that helped me fulfill a personal dream... Not bad at all. I have this very ugly website at www.amygdala.dk (never judge a book by its cover...) - the mp3s there are old and not really representative of my latest work, but I will update it a little soon.

Any confusion about the name "Amygdala" can be easily resolved - Prosect is right ;)  - the neural system Amygdala is called so, because it's shape resembles an almond.

I realized the greek meaning sometime ago, and felt slightly stupid. I couldn't help laughing a little about it - I love coincidences like that - besides, it's safe to say that there are weirder names out there...? And yes, I do love a good almond... :)

Anyway - it's good to be back - thanks for you interest :)

-A

251940[/snapback]

hey .. i checked the songs on your website

they're good

but "Site Symb" .. i love it!

is it released somewhere?

is there a full version of it somewhere?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A nice review and maybe some promo material on the site made by a pro would be something cool for a begining artist.

I would submit my tracks anyway just for a good exposure to the medias.

280826[/snapback]

i hate to burst your bubble, but the last message on this thread

(except yours ) was made in aug 2004... it's been a while now. not sure if this is still going on

Wow!! :blink:

this is a long thread, so i just think im gonna jump in here without spending hours reading all the other post's

I understand we are going to make a contest, so is this just small-talk or very serious, because if it's serious im in, that's 4 sure ! :D

i dont expect you guys to give me the short edition off this topic (because im sure its long) so i'll just make a suggestion for the contest.

Last year on www.musikplaneten.dk (the music planet) there was a contest, the rules were: here is 10 samples use them, and only them in your contest-track. No synths, percs, drums or other things than the samples. the samples may be F'cked totally up with any effects, reversed, pitched - you name it.

very though contest but some nice stuff came out of it, thinking about that the samples were: toilets flushing, thunders and similar stuff.

Just idea :)

Hehehe, that's a very nice idea.. but I'd almost call it impossible to make a good tune with *only* a few samples.

So I think we should leave the contest quite open to anything. If the jury likes it, it's fine, if not, you probably failed. So it's just like the real music-biz ;)

Hehehe, that's a very nice idea.. but I'd almost call it impossible to make a good tune with *only* a few samples.

So I think we should leave the contest quite open to anything. If the jury likes it, it's fine, if not, you probably failed. So it's just like the real music-biz ;)

282960[/snapback]

the only samples i would need are drums/kicks/percussions.

the rest[bass/leads/fx/pads] can be made through synthesizers...

the only samples i would need are drums/kicks/percussions.

the rest[bass/leads/fx/pads] can be made through synthesizers...

285496[/snapback]

No synths, percs, drums or other things than the samples. the samples may be F'cked totally up with any effects, reversed, pitched - you name it.

282546[/snapback]

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

Ok, how about I donate a high quality pair of earplugs (which I'm sure will appeal to all your music makers), EVERY MONTH to the winner. Including worldwide postage :)

(www.geotonic.de)

So you can have a competition every month. I think this is better for new artists anyhow, since spening more than one month on a track is usually, for me, not going to add anything much.

Just an idea.

peace out,

miKe

Hi all,

Ok, how about I donate a high quality pair of earplugs (which I'm sure will appeal to all your music makers), EVERY MONTH to the winner. Including worldwide postage :)

(www.geotonic.de)

So you can have a competition every month. I think this is better for new artists anyhow, since spening more than one month on a track is usually, for me, not going to add anything much.

Just an idea.

peace out,

miKe

294350[/snapback]

that's a great idea. I'd support this 100%.

But unfortunately there doesnt happen much about the contest... I hope there will be one any time.

Posted Image

Ok...i participated in the first contest, I didnt won but i got some helpfull and joyfull feedback. I been looking forward to every contest here, cuz its exciting to see people doing theyr best to make magic (music). And its even better to see old names and how they actually improve theyre techinque. Im 100% in and also want to make some suggestions.

Tracks should be very low bithrate so it can be easily download and cant be used for comercial purposes.

The judge may be conformed by some artists or label owners if theyre whilling to do this, if not, no problem.

The competition may be in collaboration with one of those sites wich sells HQ mp3 format tracks, so they may be interested in hosting the tracks wich should be downloadable from that site, and the winners may be compilled on one album that may be sold track by track at that site... What are they gonna get back?....visitors of course, and future potential consumers, and owr best wishes. I dunno, its all about negotiating, and beautyful Moni can convince anyone to do anything, so she may be in charge of it. : )

I see with plenty of joy that there still the flame of doing things for the love of it. I see that this forum didnt got death but matured and i see that now mars and anoebis (where the hell is children by the way) are more busy than old days, so maybe they could give other people some duty so the contest may run starting the next month or so.

oh...and lets make a contest for the sake of it, and let the earnings stuff as an extra possibility if so but not as a limit.

Ok...those are my thoughts.

pesito@yahoo.com

are we taking too serious something that is a game, or are we taking as a game something that is too seroius?"

for some reason this whole thing seems to have been blown out of proportion...most of us on this site who make music are quite unknown except for maybe in our local psy scenes...so i dont think its fair for any of us to expect too much..

if ppl like lemmi and nemo are willing to put up cash to put out a cd..well then all revenues should go to them..sorry..but if this is a contest, and ppl will be creating songs specifically for the contest, or whatever one wants to call it..then they should submit the tracks being thankful for the free advertisement the compilation will bring, and not with financial benefits in mind..

i know we have all invested time and money into our music, and it feels good to be able to earn a little bit of money off it...but i dont think this contest is the right way to do it...although the compilation will bring shed light on a lot of new, upcoming artists, we all have to go on our own long, hard paths to get released...its often unmotivating to think about, but believe me, unless u are some sort of musical wunderkind...u have to put up your own fight to get released in the way u want...no one will do it for u..

anyways sorry i dont mean to put any one down..trying to be as realistic as possible. my suggestion, we decide on two or three people to finance it, and give all financial returns to them..seems only fair..as ppl have pointed out, this will not be THE compilation of the year, and so theres no point in dividing up profits with all the artists for their individual tracks...come on ppl..u can all do without earning an extra couple euros..(and im not even talking triple digits here..)

alright...maybe the way ive just expressed myself may sound condescending, but i just feel that if we pull through with this contest/compilation, lets do it in the name of fun, music, and the great underground :-) also feel that this is an excellent opportunity to develop an international community of young psy producers..

wish everyone the best of luck and ive got my fingers crossed

• 2 weeks later...

+ paying whatever's left to the artists and again, I think that will be peanuts. Well, if anyone has other propositions, let me know :)

256032[/snapback]

keep that money as a capital for the next contest. and let the artists understand that its for pure fun and not for money so they wont ask that money (if there will be any). well offcourse - 50euros for example is nothing so u just can donate it somewhere... or buy yourself a beer and a hamburger or whatever :) , i think the one who will spend that money wont get sued by his partners :lol: !

why not make it an online release for free download, just like a netlabel release... create a nice page for it et voila... all you need is some webspace

it's about music and fun after all, who cares about money... you don't need any money involved in this.. it will only make things complicated

I just discovered this thread... and I must say it's a really good idea! =) I think this contest should be held every year.

-> So, what's the status now?

I am willing to help u people, so if any help is needed pm me!

come on people, DO iT!

i'm waiting to send tracks... MP3 free stylish site or Investors' compilation, who cares! Amygdala clearly shows up as an example of how the simple exposure and promotion is the valuable prize for this community activity...

the best will always go far if they work for it, and promotion is the thing to get noticed..

most of all, we are wasting time, we could be checking tracks already, lo-fi mp3 for contest i think is best.

Also, we could do it every 2 months, bringing joy to people and finally bringing people's attention and reviews for the tracks published :)

just thoughts... but waiting for action :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I think we don't need anyone to help us! What we need is:

0. A group of people full of enthusiasm. They will be the force behind this contest.

1. Rules.

2. Web-Hosting.

That's it... of course, we'll need promotion and all the stuff, but all these issues will be handled later ...it would also be nice to have with us someone like Mars, Anoebis or anyone that organized previous competition.

So, who's with me?