So much me too crap released nowadays...

khogg

I remember when any new release from one of a few (all respectable) labels was something to at least check out. Now, I check the new releases on Saikosounds and I think: what label is that? What artist is that?

Not that all new artists or labels are bad. Fresh ideas are always a good thing, but now that Psytrance has become totally cd oriented, I'm getting the feeling that it's just too dam easy to produce cds.

Every tit with a few thousand bucks and some spare time can get a computer and crank out a cd with a weird photoshoped cover and some totally original promo text:

"Billy Bob discovered psytrance when he was 16 and played the piano since he was 12... he travelled to GOA and then became a DJ (like that's some sort major achievement) now you can hear his stunning musical ideas unfold on his debut cd 'Super Crazy Peshotlamdebeon.' This one's for the dance floor folks. Let's Light It Up."

Ummm, yeah right. Your local 'I just became a DJ last month' DJ may play one song from the album for a week or two, but you'll never hear of that shit again, and nobody will be searching for that album on Ebay 5 years from now... Oh, and let's not forget the rave reviews it will receive on Isratrance.

The market is so flooded that nobody except for the most dedicated freaks can keep up. New labels and shit artists spring up like mushrooms and rot away just as quickly.

As for the poor dope who just wants to purchase a couple of good cds every couple of weeks to a month... good luck.

Don't get me wrong. This is not just a rant directed at the 8 zillion full-on no-name clones out there. I'm talking about all the pure stinky amateur shit that's released these days. It amuses me how things have changed.

JEW! JEW! JEW!

:rolleyes:

248038[/snapback]

What's the problem? If nobody buys it, it will go back to the sane quantites. The real disturbing thing is that it actually sells! Just check the psyshop sales chart. I spotted once labels like USTA and Crystal Matrix outsell Twisted Records. That's much more alerting... And i'm not talking about progressive stuff. It's off the chart completely.

:o

"The real disturbing thing is that it actually sells!" Yes, I no. But who is buying? The customer base is changing I think.

As an example. There is a local club night I used to go to fairly regularly. It was pretty cool. Good mix of people etc.

Now I go and it's like a gay bar with a heathly smattering of ravers and party people and the odd hippie trying to hang on to what once was. It's a bit depressing actually. The vibe is... lacking.

I consider myself a fairly dedicated goa/psy-trance listener - my record collection should be evidence enough. But I don't buy anything new in this genre, I have given up completely. I'm sure there's some nice progressive stuff out once in a while, but I just can't be arsed to go find it among the shitloads of crap that's getting released. For a long time I was keeping up just for the sake of it, just to keep in touch with the "scene" and out of fear of missing something that would actually be good. But finally I realized that no, it's not worth it. I can find much more interesting music by digging up older stuff that I missed when it was released and getting into other genres of music. So thats what I've been doing ever since, and I'm enjoying it.

"Billy Bob discovered psytrance when he was 16 and played the piano since he was 12... he travelled to GOA and then became a DJ (like that's some sort major achievement) now you can hear his stunning musical ideas unfold on his debut cd 'Super Crazy Peshotlamdebeon.' This one's for the dance floor folks. Let's Light It Up."

lol yea thats on every album you see on example front page of psyshop .. its just sad and wrong

"The real disturbing thing is that it actually sells!" Yes, I no. But who is buying? The customer base is changing I think.

248091[/snapback]

You are so right! The customer base is changing. And so are the attitudes of the producers.

As a producer, what would you do:

1. Release completely fresh, original, underground sounds only to get fucked by downloaders and end up like countless other labels like T.I.P World <part 1>, Flying Rhino and Spirit Zone.

or

2. Release something for the masses, so someone out there would actually buy it?

I think we have ourselves to blame. Psytrance is in a pretty desperate state at the moment, and all the labels I have spoken to in the last 6 months have all told me that they are suffering thanks to downloading. They have a business to run and bills to pay. If they are not being rewarded for their originality then they'll just rather sell-out and hopefully scrape together an income.

In the past we have heard amazing original sounds from the likes of Etnica for example. These are 2 Italian boys who have very very wealthy families. They live in Ibiza and can make tunes whenever they feel the urge. It is not their source of income so they have a lot of freedom. Logic Bomb is another great example of making "art" for fun, rather than living off it.

Producers today actually need to make a living out of this music. and so they try and please everybody to make some cash to at least live comfortably. Something with mass appeal stands chance of being purchased by the "OMG I just discovered Trance!" crowd. Sure, they can make money off gigs, but there is a lot of compettition and they may only be the "new hot thing" for a year or two before they are forgotten and left behind.

SO. IMO there is about 20-30% quality psy being released right now. Support these artists!! BUY their cd's. Don't copy them. Email organisers and suggest that they play at the festivals. And if you feel that labels are selling out and aren't giving you what you need, then tell them too. They need to know consumer reaction.

The scene is all about you. You can shape it. Reward originality and individuality! Buy good releases and the focus will move from quantity back to quality!

You are so right! The customer base is changing. And so are the attitudes of the producers.

As a producer, what would you do:

1. Release completely fresh, original, underground sounds only to get fucked by downloaders and end up like countless other labels like T.I.P World <part 1>, Flying Rhino and Spirit Zone.

or

2. Release something for the masses, so someone out there would actually buy it?

I think we have ourselves to blame. Psytrance is in a pretty desperate state at the moment, and all the labels I have spoken to in the last 6 months have all told me that they are suffering thanks to downloading. They have a business to run and bills to pay. If they are not being rewarded for their originality then they'll just rather sell-out and hopefully scrape together an income.

In the past we have heard amazing original sounds from the likes of Etnica for example. These are 2 Italian boys who have very very wealthy families. They live in Ibiza and can make tunes whenever they feel the urge. It is not their source of income so they have a lot of freedom. Logic Bomb is another great example of making "art" for fun, rather than living off it.

Producers today actually need to make a living out of this music. and so they try and please everybody to make some cash to at least live comfortably. Something with mass appeal stands  chance of being purchased by the "OMG I just discovered Trance!" crowd. Sure, they can make money off gigs, but there is a lot of compettition and they may only be the "new hot thing" for a year or two before they are forgotten and left behind.

SO. IMO there is about 20-30% quality psy being released right now. Support these artists!! BUY their cd's. Don't copy them. Email organisers and suggest that they play at the festivals. And if you feel that labels are selling out and aren't giving you what you need, then tell them too. They need to know consumer reaction.

The scene is all about you. You can shape it. Reward originality and individuality! Buy good releases and the focus will move from quantity back to quality!

248152[/snapback]

Damn right!

Couldn't have put it that good myself...

This guy has done more with his brain than just "ride that colourful bicycle up&down the mountains", you can tell.

That's why I don't feel bad copying some cd's (e.g. a comp with 2 good songs on it) , as long as I buy some others (e.g. an artist-album that stands out by a not-so-big name)

& I don't mind paying a little more entrance-fee for an up&coming "truely live"-act or travel to another country (you lucky German bastards :P) just to see one of my favourite acts/dj's preform.

Cheers!

Wah, get to know your beats. There's good stuff out there, but you do have to sift through a lot of crap. Big deal. This is nothing new.

No doubt some of the releases are very lame and unoriginal and even amateur but remember - given the cost, CD albums have become a promotional vehicle for making gigs - where the real money is at.

Read reviews from qualified people who have taste. They can help you get to the bottom of things.

Personally, I can barely afford to support my music-buying habits... there's lots of great material out there... depends on how wide your taste is, you know? I enjoy Kruger & Coyle, as well as Neural Rectifier Syndrome... I don't know how common that is...

Personally, I can barely afford to support my music-buying habits... there's lots of great material out there... depends on how wide your taste is, you know? I enjoy Kruger & Coyle, as well as Neural Rectifier Syndrome... I don't know how common that is...

248448[/snapback]

Yeah tell me about it - ALL my money goes to records. And I'm a big fan of both Anaal Nathrakh and Steve Roach, which is about as extreme apart as you can possibly get =)

It's true that there's good stuff coming out still and that there's always been plenty of crap among the jewels, but for me the crap releases have gone from being just dull to nauseating - I can listen to a pretty crappy goa album and just feel bored, but a crappy release from today is torture - this is the reason I can no longer summon the energy it takes to look for the good stuff in this genre.

This guy has done more with his brain than just "ride that colourful bicycle up&down the mountains", you can tell.

248361[/snapback]

Not quite! Let me explain...

These are Hoffmans! LSD blotters printed with the image of the "first trip" when Albert Hoffman finally succeded in making Acid all those years ago! He ate some LSD-25, and then thought that it didn't work. He had failed 24 times already. He then got on his bicycle and road home. On the way the LSD-25 kicked in really HARD! He had finally created his wonder psychedelic! So the first trip was by the man himself on a bicycle! Wheeeeee!

These blotters came out in 1994 to celebrate the aniversary of LSD. They were then reprinted for the Global Millenium Trance Party in Cape Town in 2000! These are actually called Hoffman 2000's. And they made the SA2000 party that bit more colourful!!!! Aaaaah, I get so nostalgic!

Posted Image

For more psychedelic heritage check out...

http://www.blotterbarn.com/

millenium hoffmans...oh sweet jesus i remember those. they were FCUKING strong. i made the terrible mistake at that vortex party by taking 2 at once ( a feat i could usually manage quite easily). 60 minutes later i was huddled alone in my tent, rocking back and forth realising the aweful and irriversable mistake i had evidently made.

mylo, you will know what i mean when i say...

Tomato Soups.

*shudder*

mylo, you will know what i mean when i say...

Tomato Soups.

*shudder*

248469[/snapback]

Eina! :blink:

I almost completely forgot about those. Go figure!

A psychedelic so well engineered you have no recollection of ever taking it!

power!

For a long time I was keeping up just for the sake of it, just to keep in touch with the "scene" and out of fear of missing something that would actually be good. But finally I realized that no, it's not worth it.

248109[/snapback]

I'm slowly starting to realize this as well, but damn, it's taken some time. A good example is last month's buy with titles like Oforia and Yahel's new albums. Why did I bother with this new crap when it's oh so many old releases that I haven't discovered yet.. :angry:

Not quite! Let me explain...

These are Hoffmans! LSD blotters printed with the image of the "first trip" when Albert Hoffman finally succeded in making Acid all those years ago! He ate some LSD-25, and then thought that it didn't work. He had failed 24 times already. He then got on his bicycle and road home. On the way the LSD-25 kicked in really HARD! He had finally created his wonder psychedelic! So the first trip was by the man himself on a bicycle! Wheeeeee!

These blotters came out in 1994 to celebrate the aniversary of LSD. They were then reprinted  for the Global Millenium Trance Party in Cape Town in 2000! These are actually called Hoffman 2000's. And they made the SA2000 party that bit more colourful!!!! Aaaaah, I get so nostalgic!

Posted Image

For more psychedelic heritage check out...

http://www.blotterbarn.com/

248466[/snapback]

hey man, thnx for the info but if you read my remark again I'm sure you can tell that I rode the Hoffman bike up & down the Mountains quite a bit myself in those days ;) To complete this **off-topic** story: he actually fell of his bicycle into a creek where he was tripping his asss of for several hours before even being able to get up again :D

BTW: we used to plastify them so they would stay potent for longer. I had my last two in 2003 & believe me: that little sun was still very shiny :P

& don't even get me started on those micord.ts :rolleyes:

Now on-topic again: how can you possibly contribute to today's scene if all you do is glorify the past? Even the people who made these classic tracks are making other stuff today, just because they've evolved as artists & persons.

Sure, there's loads of similiar shit coming out, but you just cannot say that there isn't anything coming-out worthwhile anymore.

Just my 2cents

hey man, thnx for the info but if you read my remark again I'm sure you can tell that I rode the Hoffman bike up & down the Mountains quite a bit myself in those days ;)

248695[/snapback]

well, that puts things in a whole different perspective then! You are an inside man! Just didn't want you to think I was a Gay cyclist Freak or something!

Now on-topic again: how can you possibly contribute to today's scene if all you do is glorify the past? Even the people who made these classic tracks are making other stuff today, just because they've evolved as artists & persons.

Sure, there's loads of similiar shit coming out, but you just cannot say that there isn't anything coming-out worthwhile anymore.

248695[/snapback]

You are so right dude. There are a lot of CD's getting released today. More so than in the"Glory Days"! Back in the day 9/10 cd's were great. Today it's 9/60!

Just because there's a lot of shite being released, doesn't mean that the quality artists have quit and no great tunes are being put out there. Dig throught the dirt and you'll find the diamonds!

Also, we have much higher expectations of our releases. Back in the day we just accepted everything because it was "New" and "different". Today our tastes are more defined and we expect more. But this is a good thing - it pushes artists forward.

Guest .::E.P

Also, we have much higher expectations of our releases. Back in the day we just accepted everything because it was "New" and "different". Today our tastes are more defined and we expect more. But this is a good thing - it pushes artists forward.

248699[/snapback]

yes for you but for the x number of newcommers all is new to them - and they certaintly know how to support garbage.

yes for you but for the x number of newcommers all is new to them - and they certaintly know how to support garbage.

248791[/snapback]

This is very true. And there is nothing we can do about it.

I was chatting with an influencial Israeli producer < who will remain annonymous for fear of flaming or even assasination! > and he said that Israeli Trance had to go back underground in order to survive. So in Tel Aviv on a Saturday night you have a commercial party of 12000 people and 45 min away an underground party of 6000 people! They really have an inflated scene. And yes the masses want crap! So the "Real" artsists and fans had to actually break away and make a new scene completely. Or so this nameless psy-god told me.

The same thing happened with house. In the 90's everybody chewed it up and spat it out and it had to go back underground to stay pure, and for the artists to reallly "create" rather than satisfy consumer demand. Probably the point where you, EP, moved over to Trance because of the same unnsatisfying reasons?!?

Poeple will always support crap. That's why David Hasselhoff has released like 4 albums or something! And tours Europe each year :o

We are in commercial territory unfortunately. And the "oldies" have complaints, but The "Newbies" have money to spend!

Only thing we can do is:

1.split the scene, which is not so cool.

2. Hack online shops so people can't buy the cd's we deem "Poor".

3. Or support quality artists by buying their releases and hope that these "Me too" guys are flavour of the month and then perish into silence!

Or we can just move on and get into EBM or something!

Or how about a combination of Gabba and Bluegrass?!

in Tel Aviv on a Saturday night you have a commercial party of 12000 people and 45 min away an underground party of 6000 people!

:lol: man a party with 6000 people is NOT underground at all

We are in commercial territory unfortunately. And the "oldies" have complaints, but The "Newbies" have money to spend!

Only thing we can do is:

1.split the scene, which is not so cool.

2. Hack online shops so people can't buy the cd's we deem "Poor".

3. Or support quality artists by buying their releases and hope that these "Me too" guys are flavour of the month and then perish into silence!

Or we can just move on and get into EBM or something!

Or how about a combination of Gabba and Bluegrass?!

248819[/snapback]

This leads to the question who is "we" and why do "we" have the right to dictate other people what is poor and what is not? (I'm talking about the site hacking coment)

I think it is natural that there is more crap (could anyone define crap for me? I'm still not sure if you talk about 0815 full-on music or bad production) because as you said yourself there are way more releases than back in the old days. I also can't listen to all the snipets of new stuff in the online shops. But I have some artists and labels that I watch out for plus I try to listen to some new stuff. I still find enough good stuff to buy.

:lol: man a party with 6000 people is NOT underground at all

248825[/snapback]

so you get the irony of it all! Strange days for psy, dude! But that's Israel. It's huge!

Oh, and by the way.... the "undergound party" was for Shaffel Records! Not that underground anyway!

But I just wanted to give an example of the scene breaking off into different scenes

This leads to the question who is "we" and why do "we" have the right to dictate other people what is poor and what is not? (I'm talking about the site hacking coment)

248832[/snapback]

Shit! I meant to put a " :huh:" behind that. Please, it's just a joke in reply to EP's statement! People have a right to buy whatever they want.