South Africa..

MpMsAy

I dont think you can compare such a huge woldwide music genre with our still very small and limited scene.  Rock was the music that revolutionised the world and made people a lot more free etc. (take al ook at History and Rock'n Roll).  It was build over generations and really did change Society.  Our scene have not changed much outside the scene itself ;)

Now I compare our scene to other small scenes like the 80's New Wave/New Romantic Scene or other now long gone experimental scenes. Not the music itself of course but the size of the scene and passion for the music and culture.  The New Wave scene did not survive!  Now we might be "lucky" that our small scene will survive in some format, and it have for 5 more years than the New Wave sceen did, but is it really so bad if our scene die out and something completely new emerge?  Isen't that what evolution and progress is all about?  Out with the old and in with the new. And NO S.A psy, Neo Full On, Prog-Full On or Progressive trance/house etc. etc. are NOT the next new thing  ;)

Personally I don't think it's such a bad situation if it something new came up. I am sure you can agree that it would be cool if something came along that would put that BIG smile back on people's faces. It seem to me that people today use more time complaining about the scene and the music than enjoying it (incl myself).  To me it's the sign that the scene is at it's end.

247989[/snapback]

hehe, yea it was pretty dumb to compare the rock scene with psy scene :)

I don't know much of others small scene. I got tossed into this scene and before that I didn't listen to much music.

Ofcourse it would be great if something awesome and new came along. But it's hard to think that something that new could be as good as psy/goa. I mean, if it change too much it seizes to be psy/goa right? Would it be danceable? ;) Who would enjoy it? Maybe it's just that whats need to be done. Get away from formulas. I don't know how to say what I'm thinking. Im kinda of stuck....but...Maybe you get what I'm aiming at. I'm also tired.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest .::E.P

hehe, yea it was pretty dumb to compare the rock scene with psy scene :)

I don't know much of others small scene. I got tossed into this scene and before that I didn't listen to much music.

Ofcourse it would be great if something awesome and new came along. But it's hard to think that something that new could be as good as psy/goa. I mean, if it change too much it seizes to be psy/goa right? Would it be danceable? ;) Who would enjoy it? Maybe it's just that whats need to be done. Get away from formulas. I don't know how to say what I'm thinking. Im kinda of stuck....but...Maybe you get what I'm aiming at. I'm also tired.

248001[/snapback]

Personally I am long over the idea that it have to be something specific. As a musician I like to experiment and find new rutes. I am at the moment working on various different projects like Ambient mixed with ethnic music, disco, funk and electro. Now I dont know if the label that i am surposed to release it with are even going to go for it. But I really dont care. It's what I want to do at the moment. Then I am experimenting with tribal again.. But much more deep and minimal. Kind of Elysium meet Shaolin Wooden Men ala 2005. And then I am working on a CD with Vocals = Downbeat electronic/popish music. And finally I work on Progressive House/prog.Trance/electro for the Dancefloor.

I personally need to be diverse and work without having to think if it fit a certain genre or in a certain scene. To me it's much more important to create music that come from my heart. than to "belong" in a box which I think I have in this scene for a way too long time.

Personally I am long over the idea that it have to be something specific.  As a musician I like to experiment and find new rutes.  I am at the moment working on various different projects like Ambient mixed with ethnic music, disco, funk and electro. Now I dont know if the label that i am surposed to release it with are even going to go for it. But I really dont care. It's what I want to do at the moment.  Then I am experimenting with tribal again.. But much more deep and minimal. Kind of Elysium meet Shaolin Wooden Men ala 2005.  And then I am working on a CD with Vocals = Downbeat electronic/popish music.  And finally I work on Progressive House/prog.Trance/electro for the Dancefloor.

I personally need to be diverse and work without having to think if it fit a certain genre or in a certain scene.  To me it's much more important to create music that come from my heart. than to "belong" in a box which I think I have in this scene for a way too long time.

248005[/snapback]

To bad you are the only artist that seems to have this idea of thought. Who knows what killargh tracks we would have if they experimented more. But hey, maybe they like to do "their" style over and over again. Maybe afraid to leave the secure ground. This is offtopic btw ;)

SOUTH AFRICA RULES! :rolleyes:

You see people always tend to favorise their national scene as the next hot big things....  It just rarely happen ;)

247981[/snapback]

The National scene of South Africa is actually a style of music which is a combo of Deep House and African Hip-Hop. Mainly sung in Zulu. It's called "Kwaito". You may even like it EP. No actually you'll find the artists are all "Kwaito clones", probably ;)

Anyway. Kwaito is Black music and the majority of the country is black too. Psy-Trance is predominately popular with a fraction of the white minority. So Psy fans are about 0.00716% of the total population. So on a National level, Psy-Trance is Seriously underground. That's why the S.A Psy-squad work so damn hard to get anywhere!

The future is overrated.

I can fill maybe one good cd with SA tunes. And it's not that they lack the skills. But this cloning plague hit them as much as it hit Israel.

Protoculture - More Directions.

Now that's what i call quality full on. Too bad Nate has being doing absolutely the same sound ever since...

And Artifakt is nice as well. But future? No...

To bad you are the only artist that seems to have this idea of thought. Who knows what killargh tracks we would have if they experimented more. But hey, maybe they like to do "their" style over and over again. Maybe afraid to leave the secure ground. This is offtopic btw ;)

SOUTH AFRICA RULES!  :rolleyes:

248010[/snapback]

I think many do have the same idea. I just think they are as you say afraid to break out of their boxes. As likely as it seem many do have their main income from playing at parties allover the world. If they changed their music or DJ style they would loose that income.. So they got stuck repeating themselves over and over again.. Just take a look at GMS, Astral etc etc. The ultimate secure way to maintaining a living.... And many other artists fall into that catergory too - also in the House scene for those of you that should like to mention it ;)

It might just be my BIG BIG luck that I went out of the scene in 2000. When I returned I was forgotten and had almost no income from the scene. So I have had the priviledge of being able to freely choose what i want to do. Now if I had continued I am sure I too had got stuck in the same track in order to secure my income.

The National scene of South Africa is actually a style of music which is a combo of Deep House and African Hip-Hop. Mainly sung in Zulu. It's called "Kwaito". You may even like it EP. No actually you'll find the artists are all "Kwaito clones", probably ;)

248014[/snapback]

[/quote

I am actually sure I would like it :) Give me some names and I'll be happy to check it out if it's possible to buy it somewhere here in Europe?

Anyway I am sure it's a more interesting and original than the trance artists ;)

I think many do have the same idea. I just think they are as you say afraid to break out of their boxes.  As likely as it seem many do have their main income from playing at parties allover the world. If they changed their music or DJ style they would loose that income.. So they got stuck repeating themselves over and over again.. Just take a look at GMS, Astral etc etc. The ultimate secure way to maintaining a living.... And many other artists fall into that catergory too - also in the House scene for those of you that should like to mention it ;)

It might just be my BIG BIG luck that I went out of the scene in 2000.  When I returned I was forgotten and had almost no income from the scene.  So I have had the priviledge of being able to freely choose what i want to do.  Now if I had continued I am sure I too had got stuck in the same track in order to secure my income.

248018[/snapback]

Exactly. Maybe it isnt that bad to repeat one self for making money :) It's easy for us to say that they should make something new but I think many of us would have repeated our selfs if we got the change of making a living from it. There is still room for some cool and odd collaborations tho. Just put the two most opposite artists in the same room and boom! ;)

Exactly. Maybe it isnt that bad to repeat one self for making money :) It's easy for us to say that they should make something new but I think many of us would have repeated our selfs if we got the change of making a living from it. There is still room for some cool and odd collaborations tho. Just put the two most opposite artists in the same room and boom! ;)

248020[/snapback]

I still think what our scene need is a huge kick in the fat "a**" and a more realistic way of looking at ourselves. Maybe not be so serious and be more open to other influences would do the trick :) The start would lie in the hands of the Organisers too book alternative artist and DJ's. But hey they too need to make money to support their habbits and ego's ;)

We also tend to praise our scene a bit too much and that way we become way too elitist. Just look at all the people that seem to think there's no other good music than trance.

Then there's the labels that seriously need to start be more selective and not just go for the first best thing that land on their Desk (if they even have a Desk that is). Quantity has for sure taken over quality.

Basically there's so many thing's I like to see changed but I am not naive... Who care what a old "has been" have to say ;)

If I was a teenager I sure would not care and just give myself "The Bird" haha :)

I still think what our scene need is a huge kick in the fat "a**" and a more realistic way of looking at ourselves.  Maybe not be so serious and be more open to other influences would do the trick :)  The start would lie in the hands of the Organisers too book alternative artist and DJ's. But hey they too need to make money to support their habbits and ego's ;)

We also tend to praise our scene a bit too much and that way we become way too elitist.  Just look at all the people that seem to think there's no other good music than trance.

Then there's the labels that seriously need to start be more selective and not just go for the first best thing that land on their Desk (if they even have a Desk that is).  Quantity has for sure taken over quality.

Basically there's so many thing's I like to see changed but I am not naive... Who care what a old "has been" have to say ;)

If I was a teenager I sure would not care and just give myself "The Bird" haha :)

248026[/snapback]

Doesn't look like anything of this is gonna happen for quite some time. Lables popping up like crazy. And what do they release? Same stuff as 56947 other labels ;)

About the quality/quantity thing. I have a feeling that incredible many CDs gets released in this little scene. I don't know how it's is in other small scenes but psyshop is updated almost every day. Who the hell buys all this stuff, concerning that most of it's clone material. Has to be the newcommers :P

Doesn't look like anything of this is gonna happen for quite some time. Lables popping up like crazy. And what do they release? Same stuff as 56947 other labels ;)

About the quality/quantity thing. I have a feeling that incredible many CDs gets released in this little scene. I don't know how it's is in other small scenes but psyshop is updated almost every day. Who the hell buys all this stuff, concerning that most of it's clone material. Has to be the newcommers :P

248029[/snapback]

That's what i say... We can't do shit about it... sadly though. People feed on clone music in our scene. it's the disease with no end.

* sorry for hi-jacking your thread with this off-topic debate *

well i dont really understand that people get so fooled by this full on shit, i havent been into psy or goa for that long. maybe 2 years or so and i fuckin hate the clone full on SHIT and like the more inventive and GOOD stuff. So are there "kids" just fuckin dumb or have they not been exposed to a large enough diverstity? I buy only the records i like and enjoy and the artisit i feel i want to support , but i admitt i download it first.

Maybe be the kids get tricked by the Cool Kiilllaahh album covers like Yahels latetst one or they might need to possiblity to be exopsed to more styles of psy or more artistis.

Not saying that downloading and not buying is ok ,but then the artist who reinvetnt hemselfs will sell records and the clones will go away sense ppl will the possiblitiy to lisiten to everything and buy what they like and want to support.

Just an idea :D

Btw just listend to Trinitix-Aspeclaria which is full on but with a feeling and emotion behind it. :D

Music from southafrica rules!!!!! if you dont feel the groove and the funkyness that sets them apart from the pool of clone acts israeli or israeli sounding. Artifakt, Shift, Slug, Broken Toy, Hydrophonic, the best tracks ive heard in the later time como from these people. A case apart is damage that is a perfect example of what can happen when reaching a bigger market (Sold) . I really dislike Chemical Crew sound, and to me that is the past, mainsream trance. The new broken toy album brekas away from all that "neo full on" crap that seems to be so in.

In my opinion, south africa has the most innovative trance now, followed by Portugal, and my all time favorite Sweden (Crommossome rules!)

well thats my kind of music. I am really sick of the "big names" in psy. South African artists seem not to be in that big rock star attitude.

Cheers

It's easy to see why E.P. doesn't like SA music.

You don't like this kind of Psy. Keep that in mind, it's important.

For example, give me the best and most innovative Progressive album around and I just say that it sucks big time. Why? Cause I dislike Progressive.

If you don't like Power Full On it's natural to believe that they're not such good.

And SA was better than it is today?

Shift 2 years ago was another similar full on artist, but today is amazing.

It's easy to see why E.P. doesn't like SA music.

You don't like this kind of Psy. Keep that in mind, it's important.

For example, give me the best and most innovative Progressive album around and I just say that it sucks big time. Why? Cause I dislike Progressive.

If you don't like Power Full On it's natural to believe that they're not such good.

And SA was better than it is today?

Shift 2 years ago was another similar full on artist, but today is amazing.

248520[/snapback]

Posted Image

EXACTLY!

:P

When you're talking about it, I would be happy to see the psytrance scene replaced with something else. I know what I would like it to sound like, but still i can't imagine it... Cosmic but yet slow and funky.. And fat but still subtle. Something that makes pictures of giant future cities in the skies pop up in your head, a melting pot of coolness and emotion.. Cause trance has a disturbing lack of emotions and funkiness (at least all the tracks i've heard).

This topic really carries me away :D

Won't sleep tonite. Will daydream about those cities instead. Where everyone has purple hair´and blue clothings... And where all the music is good.

When you're talking about it, I would be happy to see the psytrance scene replaced with something else. I know what I would like it to sound like, but still i can't imagine it... Cosmic but yet slow and funky.. And fat but still subtle. Something that makes pictures of giant future cities in the skies pop up in your head, a melting pot of coolness and emotion.. Cause trance has a disturbing lack of emotions and funkiness (at least all the tracks i've heard).

This topic really carries me away :D

Won't sleep tonite. Will daydream about those cities instead. Where everyone has purple hair´and blue clothings... And where all the music is good.

248551[/snapback]

Since i have nothing better to do i will now try to make a new song in this style that you have described. But don't get your hopes up, it will probably not sound anything like you have imagined. But thanks for the inspiration! :)

A lot of things E.P. said earlier in this thread were very true. This psytrance scene, so far is turning out a lot of the same music, because it's such a small genre, there's not much to explore, the genre has to be expanded, become something big that doesn't just involve the 4/4 beat. A lot of this music sounds exactly the same, and I really mean that. Pick two random songs from two random compliation CDs and I can pretty much gauruntee they will sound very similar. All the basslines are the same, fxs the same, and many melodies the same as well. The genre must expand, but it's hard because to all the newcomers who should carry the music feel that it sounds incredible, different, great, but to all the oldtimers it's the same old same old.

W/e nothing you can do about, it's a global thing and is left purely up to luck. At the moment I'm experimenting with psytrance music and trying to create a new sound, a new element, hopefully I'll stumble upon something great.

edit: like, imagine the incredible distorted and growling basslines of dark Drum and Bass mixed with the psytrance sound, would be something great. Obviously it would serve a different purpose, but the sound would be very different.

Serioiusly, the only one I could see breaking the boundaries is maybe Artifakt.

Phyx is decent, too.

The rest eh.. not bad quality music, but too predictable.

Since i have nothing better to do i will now try to make a new song in this style that you have described. But don't get your hopes up, it will probably not sound anything like you have imagined. But thanks for the inspiration!  :)

248593[/snapback]

oooh!

don't forget the funk and the massive superwaves and the subtlety and fatness :D

I will try to make one to... i will never finish.

S.Africans rule! together with australians, they are great too.

both countries produce highly psychedelic sound, a lot more trippy than almost every fullon and progressive track. close your eyes and you fly quick and far :)

i saw Shift here in Portugal in march, and Rinkadink in April

i can say that the Shift guy is a great composer / producer and he is best than ever, as for his liveset and his djing skills and taste! wicked live act. 1,5 hour live and 2.5 djing! GMS played after him and sounded like kid-music :lol:

Rinkadink was a desilusion though... he burned the Boom's dancefloor, but this time he was arrogant and fakey with the crowd and his sound lost direction and deepness :( i was sad, and not willing very much to give him a second chance.. he was one of my favourite acts, BTW

as for the australians, my favourites are Fractal Glider: total psy melodic madness :)

if the SAs are the future, hummm, you can never tell.

the present is all there is :)

MEGATRON

I think if you look at any genre of music (esp smaller ones) there is a ton of mediocre "cookie-cutter" stuff that sounds like it's just a generic rip-off, and only a few truly great artists/songs. In fact in the U.S. pretty much ALL of our popular music sounds very generic/boring.

There will always be a few artists innovating, but you can only innovate to a certain point before it becomes a completely new kind of music. There are tons of genres where there is little/no innovation anymore. Even with this lack of innovation, there are still some good tracks being released. They may not have a NEW sound, but i still enjoy them anyway.

Just my 2 cents