South Africa..

MpMsAy

i am crazy about all the stuff coming out of South Africa .. Shift , broken toy ect

all of it is very good if u compare to the full on that follow the same boring model and baseline. Its inventive and different.... this might just be me over reacting but the question is : will the "south African style" set new bounderies for psy? And perhaps overshadow the typical Full on that is currently beeing created almost at "assembly line speeds" ?

Shifts album Excession is just one stepping stone on this path.. imho

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest .::E.P

i am crazy about all the stuff coming out of South Africa .. Shift , broken toy ect

all of it is very good if u compare to the full on that follow the same boring model and baseline. Its inventive and different.... this might  just be me over reacting but the question is : will the "south African style" set new bounderies for psy? And perhaps overshadow the  typical Full on that is currently beeing created almost at "assembly line speeds" ?

Shifts album Excession is just one stepping stone on this path.. imho

247795[/snapback]

I hardly see anything setting new boundaries for anything these days. But that might just be me ;)

I'm also crazy about the South African sound. I think it has very high standard in "goodness" compared to other styles. Hard to say if it will push away the boring full on, but we can always hope :P. They already set new boundaries with their specific sound imo. I think that Artifakt may be carrying the new sound lol :)

It's a great scene down there and I miss it tererribly.

It is the definately the setting for some of the most incrdible psy parties you could ever experience! And the DJ and Producer community is growing and growing.

Cape Town is the epicentre of this thriving scene.

We have been spoilt in Cape Town. All the best of the Worlds psy acts are flown in throughout the year and there is an outdoor party every single weekend of summer :blink: . There are around 20 party organisers fighting for dates! The weather is amazing and the venues are incredible. The result is a melting pot of inspiration and creativity. And somewhat compettitive environment which leads to artists pushing the boundaries harder and harder.

These international acts spot the local talent and the likes of Shift, Damage and Rinkadink were the first to leave the country to Israel and U.K to collaberate and release with international labels. There are also home labels like Nano and Timecode which strive to preserve their individual sound. Another label to watch out for is Afrogalactic Records, they are doing some mad underground shit! New rising stars at the moment include Phyx, Slug, Corona, Broken Toy, Artifakt and my own personal favourite: Tickets! Also watch out for the Commercial Hippies from Nano! And especially that mylo guy :lol:

I am not sure if S.A is the future. I know it's been psy-trance's best kept secret for a while now. And there are a few more diamonds waiting to be discovered! But Cape Town is a little isolated and week on cashflow, distribution and production values at times. And the more we are exposed to the resources of the rest of the world, the bigger the S.A snowball will get!

I am so pleased that S.A is becoming a big international player, and I must agree the sounds are refreshing when you compare them to the rest of the albums getting released out there. I guess it's because South Africans have to try harder! It shows in the music! Keep up the support guys!

Thank you for Flying South African Airways!

No they are not the future. They used to be in 2003 but fucked it up by releasing to many of the same sounding tracks and by only developing their production skills and not the music itself wich is a pitty cuz they started very good !!

South Africa is the future and future is now!

I loooooove everything from South Africa cause they produce Maximal Psy. No cheesy melodies, no boring beats. I have to disagree with Lepton here. I think that they have evolved their sound, cause they write more melodic tracks this time buit still powerful!

Check out Twisted System-Twisted Tiger!

And actually everything from Twisted. They are GODS!

South Africa for ever and ever!!!

No they are not the future. They used to be in 2003 but fucked it up by releasing to many of the same sounding tracks and by only developing their production skills and not the music itself wich is a pitty cuz they started very good !!

247849[/snapback]

It's not over yet dude! The bomb is still ticking.

And the producers are getting better every day. Progress! And other internationals are starting to copy S.A stuff! I am starting to hear Rinkadink clones emerging!

It's early days for us. We haven't reached the Israeli threshold yet!

Have you heard Tickets latest stuff? It's sure to redeem your faith!

South Africa is the future and future is now!

I loooooove everything from South Africa cause they produce Maximal Psy. No cheesy melodies, no boring beats. I have to disagree with Lepton here. I think that they have evolved their sound, cause they write more melodic tracks this time buit still powerful!

Check out Twisted System-Twisted Tiger!

And actually everything from Twisted. They are GODS!

South Africa for ever and ever!!!

247872[/snapback]

I agree on Twisted System - Twisted Tiger. It's amazing.

I think they're doing very well in 2004/2005. Wasn't too crazy about it before, but now it's really nice... maximal psytrance, exactly. But for all the hard beats they can still add more layers and complexity to the sound!

Is it the future though? No, I don't think so... these guys are just doing it right for the moment.

I have to agree with Lepton, they started really interesting and different to all the other full on sound around. But unfortunately the difference between Southafrican and Israeli full on is growing smaller and smaller every day... and it´s a pity :(

Take e.g. Damage, I really loved his earlier tracks, but what the fuck was he thinking when he released "God help us"? IMO this is just plain sh#$, I´m really sorry to say, same with Rinkadink. Well, there´re still some good ones left though, Artifakt impresses me almost every time he releases a track.... so there´s still some light!

I have to agree with Lepton, they started really interesting and different to all the other full on sound around. But unfortunately the difference between Southafrican and Israeli full on is growing smaller and smaller every day... and it´s a pity  :(

Take e.g. Damage, I really loved his earlier tracks, but what the fuck was he thinking when he released "God help us"? IMO this is just plain sh#$, I´m really sorry to say, same with Rinkadink. Well, there´re still some good ones left though, Artifakt impresses me almost every time he releases a track.... so there´s still some light!

247885[/snapback]

Damage is maybe my worst SA act. They are too Skazi-Style.

I really think that SA artists kick ass today. I remember the first SA comp I bought Alien Safari and it was kinda boring. Even Arifakt's track was average. But today.... He kicks ass!

Damage sucks except when he's campy with hip-hop samples and old school rave tune tributes. "If you really want to rock the funky beats..." (nostalgia moment)

Artifakt, however, has gone from HMM (but different) straight up to WOW (and still different).

Thinking of the UX topic, the South Africans should totally use the MIDI guitar :D

At Dj Mylo:

Yea all those u mentioned especially Slug ,, the compliation Penguin Rebellion is one of my favorties.. its great. All those acts except Damage as some ppl said. they have nothing special going on.Nice to see i am not alone in my love for South African psy . a visit to SA seems to be VERY high on my to do list now :D.

Recently dicovered Sulima which has a very smilar sound to some of the SA acts .. dont know where Sulima is from but i like it allot.

Keep up the good work and save ous from the Full on model of evil......

At Dj Mylo:

All those acts except Damage as some ppl said. they have nothing special going on.

247963[/snapback]

Yeah, unfortunately Damage got Skazified!

That's because Skazi took him under his wing and groomed him into a Skazi clone! Poor Fellah! But he's been producing from Israel on Skazi's label so I guess he has been hanging around with the wrong crowd :P

It's not over yet dude! The bomb is still ticking.

And the producers are getting better every day. Progress! And other internationals are starting to copy S.A stuff! I am starting to hear Rinkadink clones emerging!

It's early days for us. We haven't reached the Israeli threshold yet!

Have you heard Tickets latest stuff? It's sure to redeem your faith!

247873[/snapback]

Clones are not really what makes it progress! South Africa's days are long gone. Nothing new is coming from there and it start to smell just as boring and predictable as Israeli Full On. No matter what you say... It's only because your patriotic... Just like the many Israelis that keep praising Israeli Full On as innovative and kilaaaarrrr

The progress might be lacking but they progress just as much/little as any of the artists out there. It seems to have come to a complete stop thru out the scene. Like for the past 5 years? ;) Except a few exceptions. Not even Unusual Suspects 2 (for example) had anything that was remotely "new". But I have a good feeling about South Africa. Nice to base my oppinions on a good feeling ey :) Anyway, I haven't got sick of their sound yet, no way. In fact, it sounds better then ever before. So keep the VAs coming! :)

The progress might be lacking but they progress just as much/little as any of the artists out there. It seems to have come to a complete stop thru out the scene. Like for the past 5 years? ;) Except a few exceptions. Not even Unusual Suspects 2 (for example) had anything that was remotely "new". But I have a good feeling about South Africa. Nice to base my oppinions on a good feeling ey :) Anyway, I haven't got sick of their sound yet, no way. In fact, it sounds better then ever before. So keep the VAs coming! :)

247979[/snapback]

That what i am saying... there's not much progress in anything at the moment...

But to say that S.A is going to be the next big thing is in my opinion Utopia. S.A have been a player a long time now and it would have happened a long time ago if it was meant to be.... It's like some of the new people that come into the scene saying that next USA is going to be "The next big scene" in psy/Full-on... Then I always say "excuse me" but that's been said since 1996-1997 and it's not happened and will never happen ;)

You see people always tend to favorise their national scene as the next hot big things.... It just rarely happen ;)

That what i am saying... there's not much progress in anything at the moment...

But to say that S.A is going to be the next big thing is in my opinion Utopia.  S.A have been a player a long time now and it would have happened a long time ago if it was meant to be.... It's like some of the new people that come into the scene saying that next USA is going to be "The next big scene" in psy/Full-on...  Then I always say "excuse me" but that's been said since 1996-1997 and it's not happened and will never happen ;)

You see people always tend to favorise their national scene as the next hot big things....  It just rarely happen ;)

247981[/snapback]

Maybe you're right. But the progress must happen somewhere right? Beh! Things are going too slow. EP, you come up with the new "thing" please ;)

Maybe you're right. But the progress must happen somewhere right? Beh! Things are going too slow. EP, you come up with the new "thing" please ;)

247984[/snapback]

I doubt i'll be the one :) I think the next big thing will take it's time and properly come from some totally new direction and scene. I am sorry to say that the psytrance scene has had it's time. New underground scenes are happening as we sit here and write. We just dont know about it because we got stuck in a scene that have "Been there done that". That's my honest view.

Normally when a scene start to struggle to find the next "new thing" it's the evidence that it's long gone ;)

Edited by .::E.P

I doubt i'll be the one :)  I think the next big thing will take it's time and properly come from some totally new direction and scene.  I am sorry to say that the psytrance scene has had it's time.  New underground scenes are happening as we sit here and write. We just dont know about it because we got stuck in a scene that have "Been there done that".  That's my honest view.

Normally when a scene start to struggle to find the next "new thing" it's the evidence that it's long gone ;)

247986[/snapback]

Thats an interesting thought. And we can just speculate.

But also, do we need a next big thing? Must it change? I mean, rock/pop haven't changed for like...many years has it? If it has, please tell me. And it's still around.

Maybe we get this "we-want-a-new-sound-syndrome" because there is WAY to much average tracks/artist out there. I think good things can be created with what we allready have.

Thats an interesting thought. And we can just speculate.

But also, do we need a next big thing? Must it change? I mean, rock/pop haven't changed for like...many years has it? If it has, please tell me. And it's still around.

Maybe we get this "we-want-a-new-sound-syndrome" because there is WAY to much average tracks/artist out there. I think good things can be created with what we allready have.

247988[/snapback]

I dont think you can compare such a huge woldwide music genre with our still very small and limited scene. Rock was the music that revolutionised the world and made people a lot more free etc. (take al ook at History and Rock'n Roll). It was build over generations and really did change Society. Our scene have not changed much outside the scene itself ;)

Now I compare our scene to other small scenes like the 80's New Wave/New Romantic Scene or other now long gone experimental scenes. Not the music itself of course but the size of the scene and passion for the music and culture. The New Wave scene did not survive! Now we might be "lucky" that our small scene will survive in some format, and it have for 5 more years than the New Wave sceen did, but is it really so bad if our scene die out and something completely new emerge? Isen't that what evolution and progress is all about? Out with the old and in with the new. And NO S.A psy, Neo Full On, Prog-Full On or Progressive trance/house etc. etc. are NOT the next new thing ;)

Personally I don't think it's such a bad situation if it something new came up. I am sure you can agree that it would be cool if something came along that would put that BIG smile back on people's faces. It seem to me that people today use more time complaining about the scene and the music than enjoying it (incl myself). To me it's the sign that the scene is at it's end.

nice little discussion going here,, i wasnt dead serious when saying its the future of psy but i was more trying to say i freakin love it :D

Scary though when something loses it sharm and gets commecialtised. REally hope that this "skazification" of the music we love is going to stop.

I have to say that i agree 100% with Lepton. Was great when it first came out but it has lost its touch. I also think that they have lost some of the subtle approach that is needed for a track to be really psychedelic. To me its more like a massive wall of sonic assault. Not that i dont like it on the dancefloor tho ;)

nice little discussion going here,, i wasnt dead serious when saying its the future of psy but i was more trying to say i freakin love it :D

Scary though when something loses it sharm and gets commecialtised. REally hope that this "skazification" of the music we love is going to stop.

247991[/snapback]

I doubt it. The fact is that most new people entering into the scene will be exposed to the more commerical side of the scene. As commerical as you can call it. Today most new kids get exposed to Israeli Full On Super Market music and other clones alike. The scene move faster and faster away from it's original ideas and into a world of even more drugs, sex and "I want to be seen and I want to become famous" world. Not really what this scene was intended to become. But nevertheless what it has become. I seriously doubt it will change much since those new kids are the ones that have to carry the scene on. How can they know how it could be when they haven't got a clue how it once was?

they sure dont want to listen to or recieve guidance from us the "old" and as they like to claim - "bitter" people ;)