New Hardware..

I've been making psy for a few years now and I'm finally going to invest in a decent setup... in a few weeks I will be putting together a computer in China and Thailand..

At the moment ive resorted to using my g/fs laptop and have fallen victim to latency, and basically cant make any tracks till i get some new gear... Currently I am only using Fruity+vsts, but will be running Cubase and eventually hard synths on the new setup..

Equiptment Im planning to get:

-CPU: P4 530 1024KB or something similar

-512MB + 256MB RAM

-M-Audio soundcard: Audiophile 2496

-M-Audio MIDI Controller keyboard: MK-425C (small but i will be travelling)

and maybe..

-Studiophile DX4 for monitors although they might be a bit small...

http://www.m-audio.com

Basically just wanted feedback on these products or similar setups...

Whats the minimum computer hardware i'd need to keep latency at a very comfortable level...

Get the P4 with Hyper-Threading! Works for me! Cool for when you Rewire or slave and have 2 applications open and running side by side cos the chip has 2 pipes !!!!.

... and AMD is so gay!

he he ... just kidding :P

Macs are solid. But PC's have more "easily available software" if you get my drift!!

I know AMD is a good gamers chip. Multimedia and all that. Don't know anyone who uses one for sound so I can't really say.

Just stay the hell away from the Celeron. :angry::angry::angry: The only sound software this thing can handle properly is Winamp!

Get the P4 with Hyper-Threading! Works for me! Cool for when you Rewire or slave and have 2 applications open and running side by side cos the chip has 2 pipes !!!!.

... and AMD is so gay!

Macs are solid. But PC's have more "easily available software" if you get my drift!!

I know AMD is a good gamers chip. Multimedia and all that. Don't know anyone who uses one for sound so I can't really say.

Just stay the hell away from the Celeron.  :angry:  :angry:  :angry: The only sound software this thing can handle properly is Winamp!

247571[/snapback]

Thanks for the feedback..

Also I have another query:

I have spare SDRAM 128MB x 2 and 64MB x 2

To save money I was going to use the 2 x 128MB SDRAM in addition with buying maybe a 512MB RAM... is this a good idea or should I avoid SDRAM at all costs??

What implications does using SDRAM involve?

SDRAM Vs DDR.... :o:unsure:

thankss :P

... and AMD is so gay!

Just stay the hell away from the Celeron.  :angry:  :angry:  :angry: The only sound software this thing can handle properly is Winamp!

247571[/snapback]

Benefits from HT are minimal, and it is known to cause some problems with certain music apps. Many of them could of course be fixed already.

Getting AMD64 is better than getting LGA775-based P4. Aren't they having heating problems? Anyway the performance is better. I see no benefit using Intel, it's just the name that people are after.

And you can multitask without HT too. It may give you slight improvement, like couple per cent, but it's easily compensated with other good things that AMD has. Of course the AMD64 technology is far from being fully supported, but it will come. It does not lose to P4 in performance, more like other way around.

If you want to see someone using AMD as digital audio workstation, go to Studio-Central DAW forum and check the upmost sticker, the Tweak's DAW. (Tweak is site holder and long term music producer. He also uses MacG5.) That should get you convinced. There's a lot other things to read too.

Dual G5 is best you can get, but you can't. :D

Try AMD, the cost-benefit is the best one of the market. Don't buy a On-board Motherboard (sound, modem, lan...), the the performance is very bad. Try a Off-Board, is a little bit more expensive, but comparative benefits to a Motherboard On-Borad are almost unmached. Now the rest of the eqquipment, such samplers and others, i'll leave to the others who have knowledge in that thing because i admit, i don't have such knowledge in that thing! ;)

The AMD is about to launch a porcessor whith DUAL CORE, Is not the P4HT who SIMULATES a dual core, it's have PHYSICALLY a dual core!!! :lol: Maybe in this middle of year the new porcessor is in the stock. it will be that the performance of this new AMD processor goes to improve the works in terms of Music Making?

I have to agree that Celeron Processor it's a BullShit!!! This processor is a Pentium 2 (sometimes a Pentium 3) with a mount of removed resources to sell at a loss the final cost. <_< It's a crap!!! :angry:

About the SDRAM vs DDR, DDR is visible and unquestionable better than SDRAM:

-much less expensive than SDRAM!!! Here in Brazil, one 128Mb SDRAM costs around USS 41,00 and a DDR of the same capacity costs around USS 19,00.

-The SDRAM can reach a max of 133MHz BUS and the DDR ,if i'm not wrong, can reach a maximum of 400MHz

Now, make your choice! :)