You say goa expresses emotions?

Telepatu

i see things are pretty rough in here.first i want to say few things about me cause i've seen the other topic about newbies-though i dont like this term too much- :rolleyes: and i thought i could combine them  and i hope i wont get u bored guys.i've been visiting psynews for about a year and i've read most of the reviews.i 've been listening to goa for 2 years now.my mom is a music teacher so i've been introduced to music early in my life.went to the theatre,philarmonic etc.love it now.then i went into a little punk, old rock-my bro was listening to led zeppelin jethro tull etc.then a lot of pink floyd.which i like it still.then a lot of Depeche mode and slowly but surely into techno stuff and little by little into trance.

now related to our topic-i've always searched for the emotional part in the music.hey TELEPATU from your analysis i see your a pretty intelligent guy but i think you r very wrong.first,tell me what kind of music suggests u the most profound feelings?i want to add that in my city and country few ppl listen to goa as they are fuckin blinded with dance shit and boring stuff like that.therefore,to my dissapointment there isnt one club where i can listen -not to goa or psy but any decent trance or techno.they role stuff like atb and scooter.shit like that.so my only solution to the problem is to stay in my room put the headphones on turn off the light and start dreaming.u wanted a few tunes which in our opinion are ermotional.here there are:

LSD-hallucinogen-the entire album i think is a unique and overwhelming experience.i dont want to boast about this,but i have quite a rich imagination and i'm not lying when i say that-when i listen to goa i visualise landscapes-imaginary or real-i actually fly into the stars.:))

moreover,i'm not a big fan of psy-im not too keen on minimal and stuff like that or those based on the dark,metalic and impersonal sounds. x-dream,the delta.but listen what happened me these days:i saw that lots of folks praised x-dream,delta,ticon in the reviews.but i;'ve never digged them.i was trying hard.i put on and on but nothing.3 days later i listened in my headphones DELTA-THING.and i'm tellin u i had a strange feeling of overwhelment,joy and melancholy in the same time.very very emotional.in the middle of the track when the chorus is at its best,i found it very profound and subtle the start of the crying of the babies and the the drop of the rhythm.very well elaborated.simple,but inteligent and subtle.and that is imo,EMOTIONAL.and i called my mom who is 50 years old.and she was impressed by the complexe and intricate structure of the melody.she really liked it

i talked too much really.hope i dont pissed anybody off.:))other tracks that provoke emotion to me:

HALLUCINOGEN-angelic particles-unique,my skin gets goosebumped-and shamanix

ASTRAL PROJECTION-mahadeva,dancing galaxy-the begining of aqua line spirit is impressive enough

PLEIADIANS-PHOTONIK

ETNICA.most of the track on the juggeling alchemists.starship 101.actually the most of alien protein and equator is equally good.

a lot of juno-but hey thats not goa-is incredibile.

i'm a big fan of rossini,as well.hehe.ENOUGH said.i'll be seeing u.

to end this never-ending"conflict"i want to say that i think u misunderstood it,u are frustrated or some shit like that or something turned u foolishly against GOA.which is about emotion.PS-i think i missed a lot of songs/albums which are really good.i'm sorry for that but the guys here will back me up!!

244106[/snapback]

Welcome to the forum psyant :)

and very well said.

I sometimes also fell melancholic by listening to psytrance, and i dig minimal or emptiness in music, there are some minimal stuff wich is very melancholic. A very good example is Cosma- Safy smoke a lot-

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there's no point in disussing this, as mylo said, it's simple:

The music supplies the rythym. The EMOTION comes from the combination of dance and friendship. 

simple ;)

243945[/snapback]

either you get it or you don't, you can't convince anybody by arguments. you have to experience it. if you don't, you don't. no problem. move on, move on... nothing to see here...

is ´annoyed´ an emotion? if so, then yes, goa gives emotions.. it makes me annoyed whenever I hear those sounds

:lol:

I dont like goa either, but I do think that you were harsh in the way you put it... as a lot of people said here, it´s about perception, its subjective, etc... If full on or goa is not for me, this doesnt mean that nobody else can like them or have emotions from them...

hehe.thanks L25.saffi smoke a lot is excelent.and most of COSMA's stuff.pity he passed away.but as others before me said it's all about perception.too bad telepatu has got to some conclusions like that,but we gotta let him be.

we have plenty EMOTIONS to sink in so better listen to GOA then argue with no results.we can't change his opinion and he certainly can't change ours.though it is good to have conversations like this.see ya!

PS-as i listen to it now i realise i forgot to mention DIMENSION 5 as emotional enough to count.

Fuck it.

You're right. This discussion is pointless. I have grown out of psy music and some of you have just met it. It is facinating at first but in the end it's very easy and obivous. With some exceptions of course.

My opinion from D5 is very far from yours, in fact I could put it as an example of extremely clicheish and totally personless goa. They have one decent song though as I remember, Harmonic Convergence, but I have heard the rest of their work and it's really nothing to write home about. I've heard it before, filter sweeped looping synth lines on analog bass with straight bd and extremely simple beat. Not single rythm, singature or key change, no real harmonic structure, simple melodies, predictable breakdowns after predictable biuld-ups. Some good song intros maybe, but very very clicheish and obivous music.

But maybe just not my piece of cake.

btw. I just noticed:

"emotions are embedded in artists' creations. Its up to you to unravel them and understand them"

um, yes, but it does not mean that artist always succeeds in putting them in a form that is reachable. And not always, it's very common that artists don't make emotional artwork but intellectual that is not meant to give you a feeling or experience but make you think, or then very more common that artists make artwork just to get status and respect or money, or just because they think it's cool to be an artist or what the art represents is cool. Not because they would have unresistable urge to deliver what's put in their heads to experiencable form.

In case of goa I think it's very often about people wanting status, to be someone, or then just think that goa culture is cool and they want to make that blub-blub-bass too, or whatever they do. But lack of musical training and/or understanding and/or experience often makes their work very amateurish and naive and simple. They just put 12 layers on each other with fucking lots of echo and filter sweeps and think they created something musical. No. The layers aren't interacting and reveals that composer really had no purpose of making a song, he just wanted to put something together.

But maybe it's the case in almost all popular music, so maybe I'll just shuddup.

i agree with the post.

trance is the lame side of electronic music.

it destroys the beauty of electronic music.

"psytrancers" are living in a bubble, unknown about labels like warp records, the gods of electronic music.

Cosma- Safy smoke a lot-

yes great track!when it stops(don't remeber the minute) it is heavenly!

as for what gusc said trance unveiled an eternal but long forgotten aspect of the human being.only for this show some respect ;)

i agree with the post.

"psytrancers" are living in a bubble, unknown about labels like warp records, the gods of electronic music.

244764[/snapback]

WTF are you talking about.

I love Goa which is my favorite music style.

I also love Warp records and i have full discography from AFX,BOC,Ae,Miracalix,LFO,Nightmares on Wax,Plaid,Richard Devine(Come to Daddy rmx ;) ) and a lot of compilations and remixes.

So you see,things are different.

I just thought/ think the opposite, psytrance showed me the beauty in electronic music. Before I never was interested.

Cool.

i agree with the post.

244764[/snapback]

Well..I have been listening to Goa as long as you have Telepathu so I consider myself atleast a bit more than someone who has just met this music. I have to disagree with you that goa isn´t able to do it emotionally. It differs a lot from "ordinary" music with lyrics ofcourse and from other genres as well. It isn´t always very easy, atleast for me to be touched by it but when it does, it certainly can be very powerful. For me that is part of the charm. One has to really sink into it to get the best out of it and there is so much room for your mind to travel. Sometimes I find that words destroy a bit of the freedom this kind of music (and other kinds also sometimes) provides. It is a bit like when you read a book it is almost always better than the movie feeling, you know ;)

There is ofcourse a lot of crap Psy out there too...but the good ones make it all worthwhile :)

There is so much good music out there so I guess the best thing for all of us to do is to pick the kind of music we want to hear at the moment we need it. We all differ a lot but I´m sure there is something for all of us out there, right? ;)

what about the people who dont do drugs and get emotional about the music?

many people here dont do drugs

i noticed many people who make "the good emotional" music do not take drugs...

ok maybe it started out as a hippi lsd tripping thing

but is that a bad thing?

nowadays and in the old days it was scientifivly proven that acid opens the sences.

state's of mind you would reach after years and years of meditation...

now i can party without drugs and come into a better trance then any psychedelic substance ever showed me.

its just more easy when you take it :P

WTF are you talking about.

I love Goa which is my favorite music style.

I also love Warp records and i have full discography from AFX,BOC,Ae,Miracalix,LFO,Nightmares on Wax,Plaid,Richard Devine(Come to Daddy rmx  ;) ) and a lot of compilations and remixes.

So you see,things are different.

244797[/snapback]

you are an exception. :P

this topic is pointless :)

all music is linked with emotion

and all music that in any way affects your internal state of being, affects you emotionally

be it goa trance, clasical music, country or detroit techno/

Telepatu, if this music does not affect you emotionally, it's your subjective feeling, it does not characterize the genre on the whole. Rather it speaks of you as not liking this music very much, that's all :)

What I'm trying to say is that it's a matter of taste more than of anything else.

TELEPATU:

"In case of goa I think it's very often about people wanting status, to be someone, or then just think that goa culture is cool and they want to make that blub-blub-bass too, or whatever they do. But lack of musical training and/or understanding and/or experience often makes their work very amateurish and naive and simple. They just put 12 layers on each other with fucking lots of echo and filter sweeps and think they created something musical. No. The layers aren't interacting and reveals that composer really had no purpose of making a song, he just wanted to put something together."

i perfectly agree with u and maybe your right,D5 isn't that great.but tell me what u think of hallucinogen-especially TWISTED-and about ETNICA-refering most to the goa side,i mean juggeling alchemists and some track on alien protein and almost all of equator which i think has a complexe and subtle structure as a whole from the very beggining till the end.PLEASE!see ya

Yep I like lot of Hallucinogen. Etnica not that much, I heard their one album, was it juggling alchemist or alien protein, and did not like it. It was a long time ago, so I can't really tell if I like it or not.

Maybe I'll check that when I have time.

All goa tracks has the same goal: to bring on an euphoric feeling to those stupid acid-heads and people like that. All the same, to build up a party hype stronger and stronger. It's goal, in the end, is pretty simple, and despite some goa tracks have some interesting structures they just mean nothing. It's party music, party music does not deliver feelings. How could anyone party with a music that makes you sad or angry?

Some goa music can also have a goal to produce interesting unusual sounscapes, but they too serve the same objective to put people more and more into party-mode. So Goa music is NOT emotional music, that's just bullshit. If you can't get any emotions out of any other music you just are emotionally disabled, blinded by the goa drug, or unreachable for the emotions in the music, in other words non-musical person, and then you should not judge any music 'cause you're a musical idiot.

Give me an example of goa track that delivers emotions to you.

243579[/snapback]

I say "FUCK U" WHOEVER U ARE right now your words makes me express my emotions in this manner. Who are u to decide about individual emotions, let everybody live their own dreams in whatever manner they want to, go and get yourself fucked in whatever fucked up emotions u like to live or whatever fucked up music u like to hear. :angry:

I say "FUCK U" WHOEVER U ARE right now your words makes me express my emotions in this manner. Who are u to decide about individual emotions, let everybody live their own dreams in whatever manner they want to, go and get yourself fucked in whatever fucked up emotions u like to live or whatever fucked up music u like to hear. :angry:

U PISSED OFF DEXTER AND NOW HE IS IS FORGING SOME DEVILISH MACHINES IN HIS LABORATORY.HEHE.

party music does not deliver feelings. How could anyone party with a music that makes you sad or angry?

I think there is a bit more to the emotional spectrum than "sad or angry" and that Trance can deliver. I think you want to re consider what emotion means.

I feel much of the same rising and falling of emotion with goa track as I do with classical and so on. I would imagine that it depends on the listener and what they intend to get out of the music. I good time, an experience or an emotional ride. A really good track will take you on that ride with or with out your permission but you must be open to it. Many people don’t like classical music believing it to be stuffy and conservative. A naive misconception and due to this they miss out on allot. But that’s their choice. So be it.

I don’t mean to be down on your thoughts there Telepatu but you did rather post this up with a "I'm telling you all how its is bitch" attitude rather than asking for opinions trying to promote and good discussion.

LOL @ dexter.

I think it does not take much to piss this guy off.

About putting it hars way: Yep, I guess I as much wanted to see how people react as to start discussion. You're right, psyfi.co.uk, there's more than sad and angry, but those were just examples.

goa isnt just "music for stupid acid heads". and of course they are tracks[mainly oldskool] that have this "magic" that let your mind travel away...

party music does not deliver feelings. How could anyone party with a music that makes you sad or angry?

wtf are you saying? goa isnt just party music. party music is skazi nowadays.and yeah, his music sux.

but emotions cant always been expressed. sad, angry, happy. oh yeah, happy is an emotion too.

Yep.

Point was that even though goa can make you feel better, rise your serotonine levels or sumthing, it is not happy music, does not sound happy. So goa does not contain emotions, but more like makes you feel better, which is completely different from being happy music, which also might make you feel happy, but in different way.

Or I would prefer saying goa can make you feel good but not happy. Happiness or joy is different feeling than feeling good. And this "magic" is often pretty simple in goa, but I can't deny it does work in some cases, as in every musical style. This is what separates good music from bad music.

And you CAN rationalize this magic too, and it does not make it nonexistent, unlike most people seem to think. Althoug there is almost infinite pool of magic to dicover, it all consists of harmony and disharmony. Extremely simplified of course.

At its best there is much more magic in good classical pieces than in ten goa songs. But also when the track is carefully constructed with love you cannot really compare it with anything, because it's unique, just like people. So it's not relevant to say that there is more magic in some style than in other, you just can say thatyou have noticed that there is more good songs in some style, or less in another. Maybe this is what I'm saying. There is little good music in the genre of goa that I'm aware of.

Of course you now think that it's a matter of taste. You can say that, it might be so. But I think that you can improve your musical taste, and goa is not the ultimate music, but just music like any else style of music, and when made with talent and love it can be good, but in many cases it isn't so. I have nothing against any musical style.