You say goa expresses emotions?

Telepatu

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i agree that it is a matter of perception.i guess you are very confused cause you just haven't realised the spirit that lies in some goa tracks-you may even not have listened to these emotional tracks.i was like that before almost 5 years.if this is not the case then maybe you are not able(at least yet)to perceive those emotions->i see that in many of my friends that don't listen to goa and when i play them a track the only thing they preceive is just a constant rhythm of bass and drums.just listen and let the music do the trick->if it doesn't then as mentioned above this music is not for you.and to talk in a more sophisticated way bear in mind that goa music exactly because of the absence of the lyrics heads straight into the primal patterns of the brain->in our case those causing emotions.the intellectual part of the brain make it to intefere cause the activation of the emotion is instant.this means that the emotion that emerges is truly original cause it is created straigthly from it's source without the fucked up intellectual part interfering->exactly the opposite happens with the songs with lyrics->the lyrics just guide you to an emotion.i am not saying that one is better than the other,i am just stating the difference.and this effect is managed by the note sequences and scales that are used in goa trance and of course by the never-heard before sounds.this music has given loads of freedom to the listenergiving him more free space for translating the sound into an image.

This is an interesting statement:

"Stick an E up your ass and go listen to Armin van Buuren if you want strong emotions lamehead."

I've never done E but what I've heard from friends is that on E even straight kick drum will sound spuer cool. So no thanks, I wont wash my brain.

Many of you seem to think I don't like goa music. Well, I do. But I have noticed that it is not very versatile, countless songs about same thing, trippy euphoria. Then of course there's this music that got a label "psy" on it which is then altogether different thing and is like speedy groovy darkish music like Delta, and I agree Delta had some moments, but it's still just psy, and it's pretty boring.

But as I see it goa and psy music has too simple melodies and too simple harmonic structure, it's flat. Very flat. It almost never surprises me, although I do enjoy some tracks like Pleiadians Modulation or some Hallucinogen or so, but all the time the tracks that I call good tracks are less likely to be goa track. Maybe I've just grown out of copy-paste music. Not that all of goa would be like that, but there's so much crap around, and generally it is loop-based music, so it's not very interesting.

And when it comes to understanding music, I think that you can understand genres, or you can understand music. OR other way around: you can liseten to musical piece from genre-point of view, or from generally musical point of view, and from musical point of view goa trance has little to offer. No matter how many weird sounds one can put to a song, it won't make it good song. They must be put in right context, and in goa weird sounds are generally just thrown in the soup to make it sound like it was not so dull music or used very predictable way in transitions or so.

w0p please explain why you laughed. Or did you laugh to just that sentence because it seems funny when it is taken out of rest of the post that would specify what lies inside it's provocative frontend.

telepatu...

Music that you enjoy makes you happy.

Happy is an emotion.

Believe it or not some people get happy from Death Metal. It's all about your taste in music. And what turns you on.

243758[/snapback]

Absolutely if you don't like GOA try some other music & don't flame here.

@dj mylo are you mocking my my tatse in music? (gets happy off death metal) :P

jk :lol:

I like some goa. I like it. But it's not emotional, although it can make you happy. Ok, It has happy-emotion. What else?

243837[/snapback]

LOL what more do you want from music??Make you horny or sad?

If you like something and it makes you happy listening to it i dont think you need more.

Or do you?If yes,what else do you want?

I don't want it to make me sad, but express sadness, like you can emphatize with music, feel it's sadness without actually being sad. Like you emphatize with people, you see someone is sad and understand her sadness but really aren't sad yourself. You see?

You can't emphaztize with goa. Goa just makes you feel good, at it's best that is.

I don't want it to make me sad, but express sadness, like you can emphatize with music, feel it's sadness without actually being sad. Like you emphatize with people, you see someone is sad and understand her sadness but really aren't sad yourself. You see?

You can't emphaztize with goa. Goa just makes you feel good, at it's best that is.

243940[/snapback]

This style of music expresses GROOVE. Drums, tribal rythyms, beats with whatever you want on top of it. Dark,aggressive, happy, uplifting ...whatever you like. It's pretty simple really. And in my opinion is the oldest form of music we know.

In the beginning we beat a drum and danced around the fire going into trance. Nowadays the drum is made by Roland or Steinberg and we dance around UV lights! It's a basic human ritual that's as old as we are. This is true dance music. Played under the stars the way it always was. Not designed to stimulate your intellect, but rather move your feet and forget everything else.

The music supplies the rythym. The EMOTION comes from the combination of dance and friendship.

simple ;)

Give me an example of goa track that delivers emotions to you.

243579[/snapback]

Mystica - Ashes to ashes

Astral Projection - Kabalah

That's 2 tracks for ya... Oh, and btw, if these 2 tracks don't deliver emotions to you - guess what? All people are different and we all perceive things around us differently, therefore music is not an exception to that! Some track that I find it very emotional could be totally emotionless to you... and that's ok.

telepatu...

Music that you enjoy makes you happy.

Happy is an emotion.

If you have no emotion for a song, then you don't like it. and don't buy it. or dance to it.

Believe it or not some people get happy from Death Metal. It's all about your taste in music. And what turns you on.

I understand that Goa doesn't make you feel anything, that's probably because you just dont like it ;) The goal is to make everyone happy, yes! If you don't get happy from it... don't take it personally!

243758[/snapback]

well reading this topic this is the best answer...

it's stupid to say goa isn't an emotion...

SOME PEOPLE EXPERIENCE MUSIC AS AN EMOTION AND SOME NOT... NOT RELATING TO GOA... END OF STORY...

btw Telepatu you opened your topic really stupid imho :rolleyes: , this could be a peacefull discussion

I won't quote you... you know what you wroted ;)

Guest Le Lotus Bleu

some goa tracks examples caming to my brain that are expressing emotions for me:

Astral Projection - Maian Dreams

Technosommy - V.T.O.L

Astrological - Zyrkon & Tequila Sunrise

Spectral - Celtic Alchemy

Sandman - End Of The world

C.O.P - Fairy in the dragonforest & Bloodsuckers

Ololiuqui - Landscape in del rio

Mono Substance - Midnight Sunrise

Rave Base - Electeaser

I agree Delta had some moments, but it's still just psy, and it's pretty boring.

Interesting/boring, good/bad, that my friend is entirely a matter of opinion. In your opening post you said "All goa tracks has the same goal: to bring on an euphoric feeling to those stupid acid-heads and people like that. All the same, to build up a party hype stronger and stronger."

The Delta is only one example of how wrong your previous statement is, obviously there's tons of music that does not fit into the description above at all.

Simply calling all examples that prove you wrong bad or boring doesn't cut it. You're wrong, plain and simple.

I was just thinking today that maybe, just maybe, trance or other kinds of music can increase the serotonine level in your brains, without the use of drugs ofcourse (I mean I wouldn't be surprised scientific research would prove this in the future, so IF, then there goes your anti -emotion theory.) Just like lauging increases it. Trance makes me feel happy, it just does, and happiness is an emotion. Also jazz or classical music bring me in a happy mood. I don't know if being in a state of trance is an emotion, it's more like, well yeah, a state of being and not thinking.

You have all kinds of musical therapies which have the aim to work on peoples emotions, and I can say trance could be very well integrated in these therapies. I think it's pretty ignorant to say goatrance does not express emotion, I don't know if you generalised to all kinds music, but that would be even more ignorant.

I'm sorry if I missed something, I didn't had the time to read all posts.

SeeyA

No I'm not. Of course there can always be exceptions. I am speaking generally. This thread was inspired by a post made by someone in this forum who said that goa has always been about emotions. Goa started as hippies tripping music at Goa beaches. So it was originally about uplift acid heads.

Psy is boring 'cause it's repeative and monotonic and unmusical. I said I like some parts of Delta music, but I as I remember send-in-send-back had like 2 songs that was good enough to listen from beginning to end, other ones were just too boring. And when you have heard them five times you're through the two too.

And I could not care less what was the first music human mind produced, it does support any point made here. It might be that groove makes you feel happy, most people listen mostly to rythm in music, dismissing the melodic and harmonic content. You can party to rythm, but goa and psy and so generally has pretty simple rythms in it, and you sure cannot deliver any emotional content with drumloops, just groove and energy.

Yup I did start a bit rough, but I got thigs going, didn't I ? :D

No I did not generalize all kinds of music, just goa trance was the original subject. Classical makes me feel strongly too sometimes, and it's sure some music, including especially goa, can rise your serotonine levels. I know a guy that was addicted to goa, listened to all night long, and his life was all messed up. I think he missed some rational approach to music.

Basicly every art express emotions, it is a question of your perception of art... and emotions. So, dude, if you have some problem with goa music, than just don't listen to it. Listen Skazi, or whatever you like and live other people to listen whatever they like... But, making a question of goa music being emotional and making a conclusion that ppl who listen goa music are - I can't even remember what bulshit you wrote - is imature, becouse you are generalizing everything, but your taste. And one more thing, you actually make a statement that we, ppl who adore goa trance, are tripping something becouse goa doesen't have emotions, and that is actually the reason why we love goa- becouse it is EMOTIONAL!

And that's what makes me angry...

I respect your opinion, but i dissagree...

Not all psytrance is just to make ppl happy, or lift the party. There are some psytrance( althoug is very rare) wich is depressive, hypnotic, introspective and sad, if is that what you are looking foor. There are others wich is tribal, wierd, intelligent music wich may not give you a specific feeling, but they are emotional music for me.

The thing is that you are talking like ALL psytrance is happy-party-music or just to dance. Even if it was like that, if the music make ppl dance or happy it means that is emotional.

i see things are pretty rough in here.first i want to say few things about me cause i've seen the other topic about newbies-though i dont like this term too much- :rolleyes: and i thought i could combine them and i hope i wont get u bored guys.i've been visiting psynews for about a year and i've read most of the reviews.i 've been listening to goa for 2 years now.my mom is a music teacher so i've been introduced to music early in my life.went to the theatre,philarmonic etc.love it now.then i went into a little punk, old rock-my bro was listening to led zeppelin jethro tull etc.then a lot of pink floyd.which i like it still.then a lot of Depeche mode and slowly but surely into techno stuff and little by little into trance.

now related to our topic-i've always searched for the emotional part in the music.hey TELEPATU from your analysis i see your a pretty intelligent guy but i think you r very wrong.first,tell me what kind of music suggests u the most profound feelings?i want to add that in my city and country few ppl listen to goa as they are fuckin blinded with dance shit and boring stuff like that.therefore,to my dissapointment there isnt one club where i can listen -not to goa or psy but any decent trance or techno.they role stuff like atb and scooter.shit like that.so my only solution to the problem is to stay in my room put the headphones on turn off the light and start dreaming.u wanted a few tunes which in our opinion are ermotional.here there are:

LSD-hallucinogen-the entire album i think is a unique and overwhelming experience.i dont want to boast about this,but i have quite a rich imagination and i'm not lying when i say that-when i listen to goa i visualise landscapes-imaginary or real-i actually fly into the stars.:))

moreover,i'm not a big fan of psy-im not too keen on minimal and stuff like that or those based on the dark,metalic and impersonal sounds. x-dream,the delta.but listen what happened me these days:i saw that lots of folks praised x-dream,delta,ticon in the reviews.but i;'ve never digged them.i was trying hard.i put on and on but nothing.3 days later i listened in my headphones DELTA-THING.and i'm tellin u i had a strange feeling of overwhelment,joy and melancholy in the same time.very very emotional.in the middle of the track when the chorus is at its best,i found it very profound and subtle the start of the crying of the babies and the the drop of the rhythm.very well elaborated.simple,but inteligent and subtle.and that is imo,EMOTIONAL.and i called my mom who is 50 years old.and she was impressed by the complexe and intricate structure of the melody.she really liked it

i talked too much really.hope i dont pissed anybody off.:))other tracks that provoke emotion to me:

HALLUCINOGEN-angelic particles-unique,my skin gets goosebumped-and shamanix

ASTRAL PROJECTION-mahadeva,dancing galaxy-the begining of aqua line spirit is impressive enough

PLEIADIANS-PHOTONIK

ETNICA.most of the track on the juggeling alchemists.starship 101.actually the most of alien protein and equator is equally good.

a lot of juno-but hey thats not goa-is incredibile.

i'm a big fan of rossini,as well.hehe.ENOUGH said.i'll be seeing u.

to end this never-ending"conflict"i want to say that i think u misunderstood it,u are frustrated or some shit like that or something turned u foolishly against GOA.which is about emotion.PS-i think i missed a lot of songs/albums which are really good.i'm sorry for that but the guys here will back me up!!

sorry for not being too precise earlier.i was in a hurry and quite pissed off by 2 idiots.about that THING thing:i wanted to emphasize that i had listened for quite 5-7 times at the delta album and i have not noticed any track special.so imagine the surprise few days ago.i gotta say that now it is one of my big favs.

one of the tracks whcih almosts makes me cry is UNDER MOUNT KAILASH-PROCESS/MYSTERY of the YETI 1.awesome track.incredibile composition,well build and developed.although that is not goa.another one is ETHNO-BIALICK by cosma.the main theme at the middle of the track reminds me-i dont know why-of the mysterios atmosphere in SANITARIUM-those who have played know.:))

blue planet corporation has the skill to inflict us with powerful emotions:midian and overbloody flood.also LUBIANTIA.

as some said previously,JAIA -blue energy deserves its place on the podium.and many more...

what a lame topic here guys... this is basically everyone vs. one person, we all pretty much already agree that Telepatu is the "outsider" believing that goa does not evoke emotions.

seriously, this is just one of those "prove me i'm wrong, but i'm just going to disagree with you" topics.

give it a rest guys, we're really just preaching to the choir (and the kid outside the church who obviously has headphones on)

-ensign