Classics that are as good as they're said to be

Cinos

Opinion ahead. If you don't like opinions, read another topic.

These are just as good as they're said to be, e.g. Damn GOOD!

Transwave - Helium

Shpongle - Are You Shpongled?

Green Nuns Of The Revolution - Rock Bitch Mafia

Mystery Of The Yeti

Celtic Cross - Hicksville

These are not:

Chi-ad releases (boring, most of them)

Pleiadians - IFO (messy)

Planet B.E.N. - Trippy Future Garden (monotone)

Saafi Brothers - Mystic Cigarettes (not good at all)

X-Dream - Radio (at least it hasn't grown on me yet)

Hallucinogen - Twisted (it's not the best psy record ever, like it's often portrayed)

More examples of both, plz.

You're making your age very apparent :)

Red status in psynews review section totally earned:

Hallucinogen - Twisted / The Lone Deranger

Cosmosis - Cosmology

Astral Projection - Dancing Galaxy

Koxbox - Dragon Tales

Juno Reactor - well, whatever!

MFG - New Kind of World

X-Dream - We Created our own Happiness (1997 was a good year!)

Jaia - Blue Energy

Not as good as advertised:

California Sunshine (in general)

Paradise Connection

Etnica - Juggling Alchemists

Prana - Cyclone

Total Eclipse - Violent Relaxation

Miranda

Should have been a classic (i.e., great but it isn't red!):

Koxbox - Forever After

Ololiuqui's debut

Total Eclipse - Delta Aquarids

Transwave - Phototropic

Deviant Electronics - Brainwashing is Child's Play

Morphem - Out of Focus

Orion - Futuristic Poetry

Pigs in Space

(just a few)

More that should be red:

Green Nuns - Rock Bitch Mafia

Juno Reactor - Transmissions

Ott - Blumenkraft

Infinity Project - Feeling Weird

I'm not too sure about the red status on Koxbox stuff though. :ph34r:

And what about my age? Everybody's got to express their opinions in a non-elegant way sometimes.

red status on Koxbox is deserved IMHO, but their best work is not on an album. Tracks like Too Pure, Life Is, and especially Dreampod are just a notch better than the stuff on Dragon Tales and Forever After.

I would like to see Double Dragon - Continuum added as a super classic, and Quirk - Machina Electrica... too. And now that I think of it, Tristan's debut Audiodrome should be revered in the halls of cosmic excellence as well.

stuff that never did it for me, though it is regarded as classic: mostly over-melodic stuff. I like psy to be trippy, sparse and brain-teasing... not over the top victorious!

Pleiadians - IFO, Etnica - juggling alchemists, Astral Projection - Astral Files (dancing galaxy is much better, but even that is too much glory for one session!)

Cinos, it is always nice to hear your lovely opinions, but I noticed you are mentioning few albums non stop as your favourite ones, in various threads, even if you didn't make that list I would assume you'd like exactly those...So, it seems to me that you have no right even making these lists considering number of albums you have and that is very little. Such strong, harsh statments are for professional listener like for example ukiro....but from having 100-200 records it is a bit silly to have endless tries to convince us how ARE YOU SHPONGLED ? or GREEN NUNS albums are good and how bad IFO is...I don't want to sound to harsh now, but really, so many posts and topics and you speak the same things...Change the record man... Peace !

To me all albums deserve red mark in the review section except of the few new ones that are marked and aren't up to it, and there are HEAPS that aren't red but have to be and Basilisk practically mentioned most of them...;)

Cinos, it is always nice to hear your lovely opinions, but I noticed you are mentioning few albums non stop as your favourite ones, in various threads, even if you didn't make that list I would assume you'd like exactly those...So, it seems to me that you have no right even making these lists considering number of albums you have and that is very little. Such strong, harsh statments are for professional listener like for example ukiro....but from having 100-200 records it is a bit silly to have endless tries to convince us how ARE YOU SHPONGLED ? or GREEN NUNS albums are good and how bad IFO is...I don't want to sound to harsh now, but really, so many posts and topics and you speak the same things...Change the record man... Peace !

To me all albums deserve red mark in the review section except of the few new ones that are marked and aren't up to it, and there are HEAPS that aren't red but have to be and Basilisk practically mentioned most of them...;)

243263[/snapback]

I mention the same albums in every topic? No. I add new albums to that list at the rate I discover them. Of course, some of them will always be there, but you can't really complain about that. And what nonsense is this about only "professionals" like Ukiro being allowed to have opinions. Please... :rolleyes:

Who said I'm saying IFO is bad? I'm saying it's overrated, that's all.

AND another point: MY opinions aren't the point of this topic, you illiterate bonky.

243263[/snapback]

I partly agree, how can somebody judge what was best or not so good if you only own a couple of albums. How can you compare?

:ph34r:

I partly agree, how can somebody judge what was best or not so good if you only own a couple of albums. How can you compare?

:ph34r:

243277[/snapback]

I can judge what's good from the albums I've heard. And that's what I did. The rest is up to you my friends.

Albums that deserve their status:

Juno Reactor - all their stuff

Eat Static - almost everything

Hallucinogen - Twisted/The Lone Deranger

Astral Projection - early stuff

Cosmosis - early stuff

Doof - Let's Turn On

Indoor - Progressive Trance

Blue Planet Corporation Blue Planet (should've been highlighted)

Dimension 5 - Transdimensional/Second Phaze (ditto)

Green Nuns - Rock Bitch Mafia (ditto)

Overrated:

Everything by Infected Mushroom

Etnica - Alien Protein

Psysex - Hardcore Blastoff

The Muses Rapt - Spiritual Healing (good, but not THAT good)

Probably lots more, but this is all I remember atm.

Look, this has so much to do with association. I heard most of ths stuff at parties back when it was released. Some I bought back then, the rest I've bought now =)

Alien Protein is one of the greatest records of all time for me, but thats not an objective review - I have so many great memories associated with that record that it's difficult for me not to be unbiased.

However, even objectively, it DOES have Starship 101 and Party Droid, among others...

As for koxbox, I think both albums deserve to be called classics (The Great Unknown was a Saikopod album, renamed by the label). The sound of Dragon Tales is a little too cheerful for me normally so it's not a personal favourite, but I can appreciate it on a more intellectual level. Forever After on the other hand, is the truly amazing one in my opinion, especially considering it's age.

I can see why I.F.O. isn't the holy grail to everyone, but it's certainly a classic - the impact of that album upon release was really something.

The same thing goes for X-Dream - "Radio" - if I.F.O. put an end tothe melodic era (well, to some extent), Radio started the "progressive" era. There are always exceptions to this - Planet B.E.N. released stuff in 94 that sounded like it could be from 2000 under the name Nordreform Sound System. And to deny his Trippy Future Garden it's place in the hall of fame? Man, I don't know how the heck you listen to records... but anyway, Radio was very very influential, and for good reasons.

And sure you're entitled to an opinion Cinos, but I know that my opinions were much less well-founded (and different!) when my record collection was much smaller. Now everyone likes whatever they like, you included, but if we're going to make a neutral and unbiased analysis of the musical merits (and scene influence) of these albums, experience and knowledge is obviously crucial. think this is what Seraph and other were hinting at, and I would wager that people with huge collections and a 10+ year history in this scene can put more weight behind their words than someone who's not been around as long, personal attechment and memories aside.

And sure you're entitled to an opinion Cinos, but I know that my opinions were much less well-founded (and different!) when my record collection was much smaller. Now everyone likes whatever they like, you included, but if we're going to make a neutral and unbiased analysis of the musical merits (and scene influence) of these albums, experience and knowledge is obviously crucial.  think this is what Seraph and other were hinting at, and I would wager that people with huge collections and a 10+ year history in this scene can put more weight behind their words than someone who's not been around as long, personal attechment and memories aside.

243319[/snapback]

Now, look at this. Ukiro puts up pretty much the same opinions as Seraph, but much better. Suddenly the issue doesn't offend me at all, and I even agree with him. Of course I don't know as much as some others, but these are my current opinions.

Pleiadians still owns big time.

albums that are highlited which im not very fond of

The mystery thirteen crystal skulls

1200 mics

astrix -eye2eye

logic bomb - unlimited

drug theraphy

zoo

albums which deserve red imo:

Darshan - Awakening

Forest of the saints-goa gil mix

Mwnn - Teleportation

phony orphants - symphony

ra - to sirius

d5 - transdimensional

and finally

XENOMORPH - Cassandras Nightmare... <---RED AND BOLD :P

i just noted that cinos registered this forum one month later than me.

yet i ve done 103 posts so far

cinos you have 1892 ??? posts up till now...

Wow  :P

243357[/snapback]

And all have been pure quality!

Well, almost. ;)

12.2 posts/day owns your puny 0.6. :P

I can't understand how come this is not red?

Union Jack : There Will Be No Armageddon

And why THIS is?

Astrix : Eye to Eye

Hopefully this bug will be fixed in Psynews V2. :lol:

I will also say something that i can't keep inside me anymore, for me, GMS - The Growly Family is underated and was very unique at the time, still like it much, even though the sounds sound out-dated. After this something went wrong with them.

I can't understand how come this is not red?

Union Jack : There Will Be No Armageddon

And why THIS is?

Astrix : Eye to Eye

Hopefully this bug will be fixed in Psynews V2.  :lol:

I will also say something that i can't keep inside me anymore, for me, GMS - The Growly Family is underated and was very unique at the time, still like it  much, even though the sounds sound out-dated. After this something went wrong with them.

243501[/snapback]

Nice Avatar m8 :P

Dont understand who decides whats read and what isnt???

243921[/snapback]

AFAIK it was some voting system from the early days of Psynews. It is inactive now. IMHO we need it back!