Just got word.....ASTRAL PROJECTION!

Dj-Emotion

Last time the played in Denmark the did not play any classics except People Can Fly.  The rest was boring fullonish new material that are even more boring than listening to their old tracks.

So don't get your hopes up too high.  They might just dissapoint you.

242134[/snapback]

:(

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they are coming to austria/vienna too.

guess i will check it out

Yep, yep, yep ... May 4th ... I can't wait :wub:

And no matter what sound they play now (according to EP it will be boring fullon, which isn't so good news), I have never seen them live and I think I absolutely need to, no matter how they are now, they made amazing stuff back then :)

Guest .::E.P

Yep, yep, yep ... May 4th ... I can't wait :wub:

And no matter what sound they play now (according to EP it will be boring fullon, which isn't so good news), I have never seen them live and I think I absolutely need to, no matter how they are now, they made amazing stuff back then :)

242273[/snapback]

Now I don't know what they will play at your party. All I am saying is that you shouldn't get your hopes up too high if you look forward to listen to a "retro" set.

It's not at all live if you stand behind a computer that does almost all the work. It's ripping off people's money in my opinion.

242099[/snapback]

disagree with that. if i for example will stand on the stage behind my laptop, running cubase with bunch of realtime softsynths and tweaking 'em with couple of midi controllers - wouldnt that be a live?or what?i dont get the point, could you please explain, what do you mean :) ?

Guest The Journey Man Project

I've seen them live 3 times, once around '96-'97 at sunrise which was just amazing, back then their music was so new :) one of the best trips ever, only surpassed by Hallucinogen before I'd even heard his music live around the same time, Angelic PArticles at sunrise what a rush :) Saw them again around 2001 and wasn;t overly impressed, it said 100% live and they didn;t touch the equpiment, basically stood ehind a computer, and then one of them just walked off halfway thru and never came back :angry: then saw them againin a club end of 2002 and it was just as bad, they actually just spent the first half of the set playing Amen tracks in perfect tracklisting of the album, was so tacky... and I have actually found out of all the old artits their music seems to grow old faster... still love old Elysium tunes tho :)

It's not at all live if you stand behind a computer that does almost all the work. It's ripping off people's money in my opinion.

242099[/snapback]

disagree with that. if i for example will stand on the stage behind my laptop, running cubase with bunch of realtime softsynths and tweaking 'em with couple of midi controllers - wouldnt that be a live?or what?i dont get the point, could you please explain, what do you mean :) ?

242280[/snapback]

No I do not agree with you at all. I consider live to be actually playing the keys. There's a huge difference in just standing twisting knobs with midi controllers as 99.9% of this scene's artists do. It's not playing live. It's still playback simply because it's all pre-recorded !

You cant compare it to actually playing on a instrument (synth, drums ect.) live.

Coming from a background as a live musician playing with different bands for many years as the keyboard player I can 100% tell you there's no comparison! It require a lot more skill (nothing to do with talent when composing) to play an instrument live than twisting knobs ect. I am not saying the artists in our scene aren't creative and talented. But most (with some excpetions) in this scene just lack the ability to actually play an instrument. I call it "mouse composing" ;)

To sum it up. 99.9% of the "live acts" are PLAYBACK

No I do not agree with you at all.  I consider live to be actually playing the keys. There's a huge difference in just standing twisting knobs with midi controllers as 99.9% of this scene's artists do. It's not playing live. It's still playback simply because it's all pre-recorded !

You cant compare it to actually playing on a instrument (synth, drums ect.) live.

To sum it up.  99.9% of the "live acts" are PLAYBACK

242302[/snapback]

100% with you on that.....!! Most of the lives today are fake...!! Everything is pre-recorded...!!

Wish it was different but it's like that.......i know it's sad......!!

100% with you on that.....!! Most of the lives today are fake...!! Everything is pre-recorded...!!

Wish it was different but it's like that.......i know it's sad......!!

242310[/snapback]

AM I wrong don't know, but I think it impossible to create live what you can in a studio... some tracks of an artist take months to create so how can expect they create a good live set just by improvising... goa is not that easy to make so it's obvious when someone is playing completely playing he cannot create the level he creates on the tracks released on an album...

I see that some artist have a 'sound' a 'structure' that is possible to play live... like astral projection, rastaliens, hux fux, skazi..

but other goa artist who use many different sounds in their tracks can't create all those sounds at the same time (maybe if they are with more then 2) and have to playback...

like If seen the muses rapt live and he was just playing his new tracks but I understand he can't play live 'spiritual healing' that track is to difficult imho...

I don't know for sure I don't have much knowledge about creating goa but always thought it is for some artist impossible...

If they would play live like I've seen fractal glider playing live it's just boring cause his tracks on the cd are much much better then a fractal glider bassline with some typical sounds from him travelling around the speakers...

I have been playing as a Dj for 12+ years so it's nothing new.  And I dont play live with Elysium since all music is way too old.  And Holm & Andersen is so new with only a few releases so far that there's not enough material for a liveset. 

On top of that i dont like to play "live" when I cant be paid enough to have real musicians on the stage with me.  It's not at all live if you stand behind a computer that does almost all the work.  It's ripping off people's money in my opinion.  At least as a DJ I work for my salery :)

242099[/snapback]

Ok, I respect your honesty. But I guess we will see each other upthere.

AM I wrong don't know, but I think it impossible to create live what you can in a studio... some tracks of an artist take months to create so how can expect they create a good live set just by improvising... goa is not that easy to make so it's obvious when someone is playing completely playing he cannot create the level he creates on the tracks released on an album...

I see that some artist have a 'sound' a 'structure' that is possible to play live... like astral projection, rastaliens, hux fux, skazi..

but other goa artist who use many different sounds in their tracks can't create all those sounds at the same time (maybe if they are with more then 2) and have to playback...

like If seen the muses rapt live and he was just playing his new tracks but I understand he can't play live 'spiritual healing' that track is to difficult imho...

I don't know for sure I don't have much knowledge about creating goa but always thought it is for some artist impossible...

If they would play live like I've seen fractal glider playing live it's just boring cause his tracks on the cd are much much better then a fractal glider bassline with some typical sounds from him travelling around the speakers...

242313[/snapback]

You have a huge point on that Rain, but it's sad to see artists that are in the industry for years and years and they don't even try to play live..... I mean, they just open cubase and the only thing that is left for them is to play with the filters.....

I know it might be impossible to play a fully live...but live doesn't necessarilly means to start just from a bass line and end up to the full track.....!! Nowadays you go to see a live act and when you go next to the band you just see a computer and a drum machine sometimes....!! How can it be live without even a synth....!!

And the people that go to that party have probably paid lots of money for that live......And then they get disappointed of what they see.....

Logic Bomb usually play good lives.....but i haven't seen them recently....!!

You dont need a synth to play live...I feel that a live act with integrity can be done with only a laptop (which is how i do my liveset). My whole tracks are arranged and premixed and then played back in cubase. On top of this i have 3 battery samplers open and each is full of samples (percussion and fx). I trigger these samples simply by using the arrow and the click pad on my laptop...i can create interesting rythms and sample loops by doing this. On top of this i will have ableton live running rewired and i use this to add new loops into the mix...bongo loops, breaks, glitch...all types of loops. Then also i will have a synth with a virtual image keyboard such as absynth which i used to play pads/fx etc. I think this is live enough...

You dont need a synth to play live...I feel that a live act with integrity can be done with only a laptop (which is how i do my liveset). My whole tracks are arranged and premixed and then played back in cubase. On top of this i have 3 battery samplers open and each is full of samples (percussion and fx). I trigger these samples simply by using the arrow and the click pad on my laptop...i can create interesting rythms and sample loops by doing this. On top of this i will have ableton live running rewired and i use this to add new loops into the mix...bongo loops, breaks, glitch...all types of loops. Then also i will have a synth with a virtual image keyboard such as absynth which i used to play pads/fx etc. I think this is live enough...

242609[/snapback]

But that's got nothing to do with live. That's just using your mouse putting some loops and samples on top of your al ready pre-recorded music. It's playback mate, Nothing else.

I saw an interview with Human Blue where he said that he knows he doesnt play real live, but he feels like a painter who presents his work at a gallery.

He feels the same about his "live" show, he created the music with his mouse and now he comes to a place to present it to a bunch of people who came specifically to listen to his music.

Its not live, but its a concept I can live with if I really wanna see that artist.

I saw an interview with Human Blue where he said that he knows he doesnt play real live, but he feels like a painter who presents his work at a gallery.

He feels the same about his "live" show, he created the music with his mouse and now he comes to a place to present it to a bunch of people who came specifically to listen to his music.

Its not live, but its a concept I can live with if I really wanna see that artist.

242619[/snapback]

Some artists (1-2 %) make their "live" interesting by incorporating visuals, remixes of their music ect. and that's ok in my opinion even though i still think it's boring to see 1 or 2 persons standing on a stage doing nothing much else than looking into a computer screen working the mouse.

And then there's the many "artists" that do nothing else than pushing start on the CD player, DAT or computer. Those should be banned from playing "live"

242609[/snapback]

That's not live my friend....!! In fact it's far from it.....!! From my point of view at least......

I'm sure you've seen some real lives and you know what a live really is.......!!

But that's got nothing to do with live.  That's just using your mouse putting some loops and samples on top of your al ready pre-recorded music.  It's playback mate, Nothing else.

242616[/snapback]

playback nothing else? im using my brain to think up new rythms on the spot (often quite complex polyrythms or odd timing rythms) and then tapping out these rythms live - creating a riff between say a set of 5 percussion/ short fx samples at once...sure its just using my finger to tap the rythms but its essentially the same as if i had a electronic drum pad or something. Anyway wotever, i know when im playing live i am flat out (not even time for a cigarette usually - as opposed when i dj...i chain smoke then!)

playback nothing else? im using my brain to think up new rythms on the spot (often quite complex polyrythms or odd timing rythms) and then tapping out these rythms live - creating a riff between say a set of 5 percussion/ short fx samples at once...sure its just using my finger to tap the rythms but its essentially the same as if i had a electronic drum pad or something. Anyway wotever, i know when im playing live i am flat out (not even time for a cigarette usually - as opposed when i dj...i chain smoke then!)

242835[/snapback]

when I DJ I beatmix - no time for cigarettes... well i dont smoke anyways!

i dont know why u people r against computers? i mean - whats the fucking difference between using hardware synths or using soft in realtime, tweaking knobs on my midi controller? its the fucking same, the difference is only that - in synth u have all-in-one thing, that is - u got filters, sequencer, oscs and stuff in one box with knobs, when u start it - there come a sound from it. the same with softsynths - u start your synth and then tweak knobs, like u do with hardware synth, the difference is only is that u have your laptop as "synth" and your mdid surface as "controller", do u wanna say that, if u have a hardware synth, then u are working with more knobs than u would with softsynth? is hardware some super ultra mega different when it comes to realtime, is hardware realtime better than software, more "REAL TIME"? i mean, whats your fucking problem with that? cant u accept that u can play synth actually without having them as a real peace of metal and plastic? i bet that back in da days, when first or popular hardware synths came here to reproduce real instruments and generate nu sounds some one thaught the same way as you now about software! if im so wrong, then please tell me - whats the difference between tweaking midi knobs and synth knobs, if both can be played realtime and the only difference is that one got metal and plastic parts that generates the sound and the other creates them using algorhithm and that it has separated controll surface from sound creation/manipulation "module"? :)

There is no difference. People who say there is are just elitists.

243488[/snapback]

maybe its really so, they just cant accept, that u can use only one little box with virtual machines and beat hardware in performance and in features?

i dont know why u people r against computers? i mean - whats the fucking difference between using hardware synths or using soft in realtime, tweaking knobs on my midi controller? its the fucking same, the difference is only that - in synth u have all-in-one thing, that is - u got filters, sequencer, oscs and stuff in one box with knobs, when u start it - there come a sound from it. the same with softsynths - u start your synth and then tweak knobs, like u do with hardware synth, the difference is only is that u have your laptop as "synth" and your mdid surface as "controller", do u wanna say that, if u have a hardware synth, then u are working with more knobs than u would with softsynth? is hardware some super ultra mega different when it comes to realtime, is hardware realtime better than software, more "REAL TIME"? i mean, whats your fucking problem with that? cant u accept that u can play synth actually without having them as a real peace of metal and plastic? i bet that back in da days, when first or popular hardware synths came here to reproduce real instruments and generate nu sounds some one thaught the same way as you now about software! if im so wrong, then please tell me - whats the difference between tweaking midi knobs and synth knobs, if both can be played realtime and the only difference is that one got metal and plastic parts that generates the sound and the other creates them using algorhithm and that it has separated controll surface from sound creation/manipulation "module"? :)

243487[/snapback]

I think you misunderstood the concpet a bit here. Who ever said that we are against computers? We are talking about playing live versus turning knops. It dosen't matter if it's software or hardware...it's the same things... PLAYBACK

May I suggest you re-read the topic again?

I dont care if people use software synths and play them live via a midi or usb keaboard or if they use hardware synths.. it's the same thing.....IT's LIVE

But to turn a knob and twiddle on your freq. knob on your latest virus B is NOT to play live!