CPU - how does he do it?

i thought logic went purely mac as of recently,  i.e. logic 7. you can use the older versions of logic on pc though. thats my understanding...

242488[/snapback]

I thought so too.....

I dig CPU. If you want to find similar music, look out for Timecode recordings. They're South African based and verrry underground. The most grinding music I've ever heard gets played at their parties. I can list a few albums if you want:

Broken

Enroachment

Firewall

and ummmm.... dammit I've got quite a few of their albums. Can't remember right now. Anyways...

Some more timecode albums:

Encryption

Redline

New Blood (latest release)

I think there are a few more aswell...

If you like CPU, I'd definately try and get hold of some of these albums if I were you. CPU has played at quite a few timecode parties and even released a track called "Keep the Timecode" for one of their CD's.

Craaazy trance this!

The last Logic made for PC was 5.5 This is what I use and it's still uesed by mant pros such as Ott.

You can find secound hand ones on ebay. You just have to check with the seller that they will call up Emagic and re-regester the product with you.

Es2 is a good synth lots to play around with on it but There is its high pass filter glitch which is still presant in version 7 of logic. Don't know why they never sorted it out? :angry:

The last Logic made for PC was 5.5 

244119[/snapback]

I am soooooo behind the times :( !!!! But then again I don't care much for Logic! Cubase all the way!!!! :D

Melody-wise .... Another CPU trick is to take a sampler with a really distorted sample in it and use it as if it were a synth. i.e swop you synth for a sampler with a scratchy sound loaded. I use a sample from a western movie, hectic gunfire with ricochets and stuff! The audio clip is downsampled so it looses quality and gives quite a rough texture. I then use this sample for my melody-line and when you add effects it like dynamic eq it really sounds cool! It doesn't sound at all "musical" but the melody line is present in the mix, a little subtle and way spooky! This is easily achieved in Reason as well.

hope this makes sense :( .

CPU also seem to use a combination of crystal clear and lofi sounds. Downsample elemnts of your tune, like snare loops or hats, melody etc. whilst keep other elements pure and clean. You'll get that polished but dirty/gritty sound you're after.