Questions about "Full-on"

Well, Lot of people talking about "full-on" but each one explain totaly diffrent of another and it's make me confused :blink: . So I've create this topic for ending the confused question. :)

240862[/snapback]

i think that is psychedelic with a full bass line. i'll try to xplain it. but i dont know if is correct my info.

K=kick

B=bass

-=nothing

in many songs of full-on, i hear this.

KBBBKBBBKBBK

and in the psytrance i hear this.

K-BBK-BBK-BBK-BBK or K-B-K-B-K-B-K (somthing like it)

(sorry my bad english :P )

I think full on is more descriptive of a sub-genre of psytrance.

True - the basslines usually fill the bars with 16 beats per bar or 4 notes to a kick but they can also fluctuate, some having longer notes or missing notes to create a flow and groove. In my opinion it has more to do with the sound of the song altogether than just the bassline structure. Most of the more commercial sounding trance is full on but I wouldn't say all of it. Think of fullon as really in your face trance. It's loud and it gets you stomping at a party until your feet go numb.

Well... mine do. :huh:

It doesn't always have to have the "kbbbkbbbkbb" formula IMO :), Subsonik has got it right.

Some Samples from Psyshop.com...

Psysex - Survival kit (Sub6 rmx)

N3XU5 - Genki

Penta - Gone with the wind

Rinkadink - Has Anyone Seen Bender

Most Psytrance is "full-on" these days, else its too slow for the clubs to play or is considered goa, not psytrance.

IMO ;)

140 - 145bpm, although Full-on is normally on the faster side.

forward moving, big sounding, with huge build-ups. Basically music that grows and grows until it reaches fever pitch! Prog and minmal tend to stay on one level.

there is also a distinct melody, from an instrument, whereas prog/minmal seems to be more about "sounds" and sampler type effects in wide-open space.

Night-time Full-on also has shorter breaks on average. Morning/Daylight full-on has longer breaks.

On the bassline side, there are many variations, but at the moment there seems to be a tendency to use the 16 bassline with a melody line running through it. I do believe that Full-on is not about the type of bassline pattern, but rather about it's presence in the mix. A big fat bassline makes the song "bigger"... a step closer to the full-on sound.

for me, the best description of full-on is Talamasca. Cedric is oe of the boys who defined this sub-genre :D:D:D

My Uderstand about full-on:

Here is the Legend:

K = Kick

- = None

B = Low tone Bass

b = Hight tone bass

Trance is SOMETHING LIKE THAT:

K-BBK-BBK-BBK-BBK-BBK-BBK-BBK

PsyTrace is SOMETHING LIKE THAT:

KBBBKBBBKBBBKBBBKBBBKBBBK

And Full on is SOMETHING LIKE THAT:

KBbBKBbBKBbBKBbBKBbBKBbBK

As you see, the full-on is a Psytrance whith variations of tone on the bassline

hope i've to have helped :)

Good Full-on to all!!! :) :) :)

My Uderstand about full-on:

Here is the Legend:

K = Kick

- = None

B = Low tone Bass

b = Hight tone bass

Trance is SOMETHING LIKE THAT:

K-BBK-BBK-BBK-BBK-BBK-BBK-BBK

PsyTrace is SOMETHING LIKE THAT:

KBBBKBBBKBBBKBBBKBBBKBBBK

And Full on is SOMETHING LIKE THAT:

KBbBKBbBKBbBKBbBKBbBKBbBK

As you see, the full-on is a Psytrance whith variations of tone on the bassline

hope i've to have helped :)

Good Full-on to all!!! :) :) :)

243195[/snapback]

WTF? :blink: I hardly think you can categorize the styles by the structure of a baseline alone. I mean in each style you can find any variation you mentioned, it´s not only about the baseline. :)

WTF?  :blink:  I hardly think you can categorize the styles by the structure of a baseline alone.  I mean in each style you can find any variation you mentioned, it´s not only about the baseline.  :)

243241[/snapback]

Have to agree with you there!

IMO ;)

forward moving, big sounding, with huge build-ups. Basically music that grows and grows until it reaches fever pitch! Prog and minmal tend to stay on one level.

there is also a distinct melody, from an instrument, whereas prog/minmal seems to be more about "sounds" and sampler type effects in wide-open space.

Night-time Full-on also has shorter breaks on average.  Morning/Daylight full-on has longer breaks.

On the bassline side, there are many variations, but at the moment there seems to be a tendency to use the 16 bassline with a melody line running through it. I do believe that Full-on is not about the type of bassline pattern, but rather about it's presence in the mix. A big fat bassline makes the song "bigger"... a step closer to the full-on sound.

for me, the best description of full-on is Talamasca.  Cedric is oe of the boys who defined this sub-genre :D  :D  :D

243073[/snapback]

Good explanation. ;)

I like Talamasca's new album. It sounds like it's lacking a bit of power though. Maybe it's a french thing :lol:

How about psydrop? What do you think of Fantasy Seeds? That's pretty damn full on for you.

IMO Talamasca has been going downlhill for the past few years...

I think some of the best examples of psytrance full-on would be

Shift

Theoreme

Phyx

Broken Toy

to name a few (i know its a lot of S. african, oh well, like the style)

The bassline is definitely one of the main ingredients in full-on, but without some great leads/breaks/tweaks its just a bass... All the elements of the track have to flow together to create a crescendo that'll make you stomp your feet off...

Any of the above mentioned artist's tracks will clearly define at least one type of full-on within psytrance...

Anyway, I guess that lays out my opinion... enjoy!

WTF?  :blink:  I hardly think you can categorize the styles by the structure of a baseline alone.  I mean in each style you can find any variation you mentioned, it´s not only about the baseline.  :)

243241[/snapback]

I'ved say "SOMETHING LIKE THAT" understand? "SOMETHING LIKE THAT" :wacko: i don't say it's bassline alone, it seemed, not equal. ;) It is logical that have many others factors that it differentiates from psytrance, but is not that alone. B)

IMO ;)

Night-time Full-on also has shorter breaks on average.  Morning/Daylight full-on has longer breaks.

for me, the best description of full-on is Talamasca.  Cedric is oe of the boys who defined this sub-genre :D  :D  :D

243073[/snapback]

Well, for me, is Fatali, Oforia, X-Wave, CPU, Wrecked Machines, Sirius Isness, Altom, Anax, Astral Projection, Atomic Pulse, Silent Sphere, Sub6, Talamasca, Time Lock, and others. :)

Well, for me, is Fatali, Oforia, X-Wave, CPU, Wrecked Machines, Sirius Isness, Altom, Anax, Astral Projection, Atomic Pulse, Silent Sphere, Sub6, Talamasca, Time Lock, and others.  :)

243668[/snapback]

all great examples! But I agree with vonoom, Talamasca has got a little strange on us in the last little while. Still he was one of the first to define the sound. And nice to see so many South African eg's!!! We do love our full-on down in Cape Town!

all great examples! But I agree with vonoom, Talamasca has got a little strange on us in the last little while. Still he was one of the first to define the sound. And nice to see so many South African eg's!!! We do love our full-on down in Cape Town!

243720[/snapback]

We do. but "tasteful" full on. the full on stuff thats been coming out of Cape Town is bloody awesome. not typical israeli full on at all.

243720[/snapback]

We do. but "tasteful" full on. the full on stuff thats been coming out of Cape Town is bloody awesome. not typical israeli full on at all.

243721[/snapback]

Anyway, The PsyTrance for me is always the best choice in anywhere for Raves and Festivals of eletronic music B)

:lol::lol::lol:@ DJ Mylo

Did u pull that one out the old archives?

"ama'trance muzeck"

Anyway, The PsyTrance for me is always the best choice in anywhere for Raves and Festivals of eletronic music  B)

243755[/snapback]

- 'Tiz for most of us my friend, that's why we all use this forum.

Psychadelic electronica. It's purely addictive if you can actually pay attention to it and not write it off the way most people do.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:@ DJ Mylo

Did u pull that one out the old archives?

"ama'trance muzeck"

243948[/snapback]

Yebo! Everytime someone talks favourably about my african psy brother producers I post a pic of Mandela with his fist in the air :P . Guess you could say I miss home!

Yebo! Everytime someone talks favourably about my african psy brother producers I post a pic of Mandela with his fist in the air :P . Guess you could say I miss home!

243968[/snapback]

Yeh 4 sure, me too. That was classic though, I have to say.

:lol:

Do you miss hearing "Ingama lam..." or "eish brah, I got swazi"?

Speaking of swazi - I got hold of an ounce the other day of compressed hahah. It's almost gone :( Have to get some more I will.

I totally agree that full-on is used more as a description of a subgenre rather than a general description of psytrance. The artists that were mentioned are definitely of the full on variety.

Generally Speaking...

Full on tends to be of a more melodic based music in comparison to some of the darker artists like Cosmo, Dejan, Jellyheadz, etc.. Full on is a bit more uplifting and beautiful in comparison to some of the night trance artists I listed. There is such a thing as dark full on and many of those artists do include some of the South African artists (Shift, Damage, Phyx maybe) they also include the 3d Vision front runners like CPU and Absolum. The real thing that makes the full on melodic stuff apparent more that the melodies is indeed the style of bassline that is typically used. Full on tends to use more of a groovy arpeggiated bassline that is higher in tone than some of the darker nighttime stuff. For producers that are reading this one, make an arpeggiated bassline that is rooted around C0 or C1 and then take that same bassline and move to C2 to understand the comparison I am making. For the non producers, Listen to Astrix's bassline or Nomad's bassline and then listen to a Kindzadza bassline.

Also the focus of the track can really assist in being able to tell the difference. Many of the melodic full on tracks and some of the dark full on tracks have more of a focus toward the melodic structure that was found in older goa trance. The darker stuff that tends to be a little more abstract has more of a focus on those really trippy sounds and creating more driving leads and tend to make something that doesn't sound obviously melodic act like it is the melodic element in the track.

Bear in mind that there are many exceptions to these generalizations and many other peoples definition of full on will be different. For me these are the most obvious separations between the two.

I think that about sums it up.

Nice one.