Define eurotrance...

Guest Rain

I'm following this thread with big interest, mainly because I've never heard the classification "Eurotrance" before. What makes it even more interesting is that there seem to be a lot of different opinions what it exactly is.

I buy a lot of trance records and all I can add to this discussion is the following: I've never seen the label "Eurotrance" on any record I've ever bought. Not in a real records store nor in an online one. Trance releases are labeled or described as Clubtrance, Progressive Trance, Vocal Trance, Hardstyle, Commercial Trance, Trance, Epic Trance and maybe other that come to my mind right now.

Maybe this is not an "official" genre but just a name to label all releases that are from Europe. For the US market for example. I don't have any proofs of this, it's just what I personally think about it.

241079[/snapback]

well, its a tough one. yes, Eurotrance is trance that comes from europe, but not all trance from europe is Eurotrance.

Its more "simple" and "less full sounding" i guess. here is a few songs / artists to give you an idea. it is usually quite cheesy / catchy and can usually be found on compilation cds, that you could buy from your local supermarket.

Lasgo - Something

Ian Van dahl - castles in the sky

err...i cant name any others really....and proud of it to be quite honest. have a listen..........if you daaaarrreee...... :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Cinos: Yes sorry dude, that was a mistake. Rank1 is definitly not hardtrance. it is more epic / eupphoric / uplifting trance. my bad :P

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, in case we'll use THAT definition, you know, the one hardly anybody uses, instead of the wide-spread one most everybody agrees on...

241017[/snapback]

So because you classify it that way "most everybody" does the same? From where did you get that information? The discussion in here certainly indicate the opposite...

So because you classify it that way "most everybody" does the same? From where did you get that information? The discussion in here certainly indicate the opposite...

241212[/snapback]

The people here know little about ordinary trance. Ask HERE or HERE, or look on what genre's CDs are HERE.

Discogs says, BTW:

Lasgo album - Trance, Euro House, Progressive Trance

Tiesto first album - Trance

well I've got an idea what you mean by eurotrance cause we never use that name here in belgium... it was what I thought it was... but some called goa artist eurotrance and then I was like 'stupid' don't say that , ok the goa scéne has become more in a commercial way but 'eurotrance' no way.... it'll take ages before I call psy trance 'eurotrance'...

preciously it's just a name that people give to melodic psytrance they don't like, what is not safe imho...

thanx for the info guys :)

Guest Le Lotus Bleu

err its John Digweed.So whats the different between trance and club trance lol im really curious

241061[/snapback]

old trance like Cosmic Baby,dance 2 trance i music with floating leads, emotionnal so.

When i was speaking of marmion, it 's more heavy, indeed it's more rave-trance or good hardtrance.

clubtrance=no emotion at all, pure dancefloor stuff for your body, with hammered cheesy melodies, not floating at all...

what you call progressive club , is what i call UK Trance, the very syrrupy side of trance.

Here's some google results for "euro trance"

DJ's like Paul Oakenfold, Sasha and John Digweed started to open the eyes of the clubbing population to what would probably be best now described as euro trance: epic winding tracks with monumental breakdowns and uplifting lead lines culminating in the ATB and Delirium sounds of 2000.

Euro Trance

A central, neutral form of trance which is probably the simplest to understand. Euro trance is often very uplifting, it is usually around 140 - 145 bpm and has a lot of big rifts. The bass is generally quite heavy and it will often have a female vocal. Due to the big rifts, breakdowns and vocals this style of trance can also be referred to as commercial trance. This form of trance definitely falls into the instant "feel good" category - for many trance-heads, this is how it all started. Currently much harder edged Euro Trance is being referred to as "Hard Trance", in many ways it is similar to Euro, with big, but usually not so "euphoric", rifts and a bit faster, usually around 145 - 150 bpm, often using acid lines.

http://www.moodbook.com/music/trance.html#euro-trance

Trance is the name applied to a type of House music that tends to be faster than normal, rarely features vocals and is built around layers of shimmering, intertwining synthesizer riffs. This branch of house can itself be divided into sub-genres such as psychedelic or "psy-trance", acid trance, euro-trance and Goan trance. The sound originally developed in the techno clubs of Germany (particularly Frankfurt) and then Holland, with Jam And Spoon providing the first big trance hits in 1992 with a remix of "Age Of Love" and their own "Stella". The psychedelic strand of trance developed at the outdoor raves in Goa, on the west coast of India. Like the island of Ibiza, the area has long been part of the latter day 70s "Hippie Trail", a popular destination for those seeking an alternative approach to life and spirituality as well as a free-and-easy attitude. It was the Goan form that emphasised the spiritual element of the trance experience, incorporating imagery from Buddhism and Hinduism. Many visitors from around the world visited Goa in the early to mid-90s to experience the exciting new sound of dance music. London clubs such as Escape to Samsara and Return To The Source successfully recreated the Goan sound and atmosphere if not the Indian weather. Several UK DJs also visited Goa, notably Oakenfold, Paul and Danny Rampling, who began including the sound in their own sets in the UK. Oakenfold was particularly taken with it and his sets continue to be infused with the trance sound, albeit with a more European feel, rather than the Goan sound. His label Perfecto Records included a trance off-shoot, Perfecto Fluoro. Trance remains especially popular in Germany, Italy, Israel and Holland, where much European trance (or "euro" trance) is produced. Amsterdam clubs such as Trance Buddha have also been influential in shaping the sound of dancefloors in the UK and the USA. Euro-trance has filtered into the mainstream, with many of the UK's major clubs, such as Cream and Gatecrasher making it a central part of their sound. Gatecrasher, in particular, has long championed the music, bringing Germans Dyk, Paul Van and DJ Taucher to the club, and more recently, Dutchman DJ Tiësto and the Israeli team Jez And Choopie. The Dutch sound tends to be melodic and riff-based, whereas the German and Italian sound is harder and more percussion-based. Israel seems to favour the psudo psychedelic sound, as practised by its highly regarded countrymen, Astral Projection (The). German DJ Andre Tanneberger, recording as ATB, enjoyed massive crossover success when his "9pm (Till I Come)" topped the UK charts in 1999.

http://64.233.179.104/search?q=cache:ejgdS...ro+trance&hl=en

http://www.thedisc.net/selection.php?stock...&genre=27&new=0

etc...

The people here know little about ordinary trance. Ask HERE or HERE, or look on what genre's CDs are HERE.

Discogs says, BTW:

Lasgo album - Trance, Euro House, Progressive Trance

Tiesto first album - Trance

241215[/snapback]

Heh, discogs doesn't have "euro-trance" as a genre at all, so that wasn't very informative. I think you should just admit that not everybody else agrees with your opinion, and that your opinion isn't the only truth. "Euro-trance" is a crappy name for a "sub-genre" anyways, what you call euro-trance could as well just be called commercial trance or vocal-trance.

I'm not going to bother argumenting with Dragonflier and Redeemer anymore, because I'll have to resort to their own ways to do so.

So instead, I'll talk about this:

old trance like Cosmic Baby,dance 2 trance i music with floating leads, emotionnal so.

When i was speaking of marmion, it 's  more heavy, indeed it's more rave-trance or good hardtrance.

clubtrance=no emotion at all, pure dancefloor stuff for your body, with hammered cheesy melodies, not floating at all...

what you call progressive club , is what i call UK Trance, the very syrrupy side of trance.

241262[/snapback]

Club trance is not emotionless. What shit have you been hearing?

Also, according to ppl's definitions of euro-trance here, I don't agree that sasha fits that bill.

He has been making some very interesting music lately that is neither cheezy nor emotionless. Talented guy, imo.

241335[/snapback]

OBVIOUSLY Sasha isn't euro-trance. Whoever says he is, is very much musically challenged. :rolleyes:

On the flip side here are some names to avoid like the plague: Ian van Dahl, Lasgo, Scooter and Darude. There is very little Eurotrance that is currently being produced that is worth one cent. If you are interested in exploring Eurotrance, go back to the years when it was actually good.

RofL :lol::lol::lol:

Scooter and Darude are worth listening to, no matter am I exploring or not eurotrance <_<

Why not say it like it is, namely that you have no arguments left? At least that would be fair and square....  :rolleyes:

241574[/snapback]

Oom-tsa, oom-tsa

Dubby udd bud dubb

Dubbity dubby dub

Zwiik zwiik

Boom boom!

Dub dub.

Interesting reading here...

The first thing I react on when I read this is that some of you say that Tiesto is Trance or Tiesto is Euro trance etc... Tiesto make such different styles of music that you imo cant say in what genre he belongs in (Club, House, Progressive Trance, Uplifting Trance, Tribel etc...), and the same goes to most of the rest well known dj/producers.

btw Eurotrance does not excist in my world, but Eurodance does, and that is cheesy happy disco stuff released in 93-96 like Basic Element, DJ Bobo, Capella etc.

Thats all from me! :P

Interesting reading here...

The first thing I react on when I read this is that some of you say that Tiesto is Trance or Tiesto is Euro trance etc... Tiesto make such different styles of music that you imo cant say in what genre he belongs in (Club, House, Progressive Trance, Uplifting Trance, Tribel etc...), and the same goes to most of the rest well known dj/producers.

btw Eurotrance does not excist in my world, but Eurodance does, and that is cheesy happy disco stuff released in 93-96 like Basic Element, DJ Bobo, Capella etc.

Thats all from me! :P

241713[/snapback]

Well, your right and your wrong. Tiesto is mainly a DJ who spins other peoples records. Have you heard his self proplamed album, "In My Memory"? Very good album, with soft trance, uplifting trance and club trance.

i have to admit....i did like LASGO's "SOMETHING".......

:lol::ph34r:

I bought the reocord

:ph34r:

everyone can form a single file line and start hitting me now :lol:

But hey...I can't help likeing what sounds good to me ;)

i have to admit....i did like LASGO's "SOMETHING".......

:lol::ph34r:

I bought the reocord

:ph34r:

everyone can form a single file line and start hitting me now :lol:

But hey...I can't help likeing what sounds good to me  ;)

242141[/snapback]

Ehum... I kind of liked their single Surrender. :ph34r:

Now we can watch each other's backs while they beat us up. ;)

It all depends on how old you where ect, hehe

When I was 15, I listened to euro-dance, such as DJ Bobo, 2 brothers on the 4 floor, 2 unlimited, a capella ect ect ect. But then when I was 17, marilyn manson saved my ass from that music hell. Prodigy also helpet me climb out of that shit hole!

When I was 15, I listened to euro-dance, such as DJ Bobo, 2 brothers on the 4 floor, 2 unlimited, a capella ect ect ect. But then when I was 17, marilyn manson saved my ass from that music hell. Prodigy also helpet me climb out of that shit hole!

242150[/snapback]

Marilyn Manson hardly "helped" you. :P;)

They all have the same father. Called "Electronica" :P

240815[/snapback]

i thought it was "Abraham". :P

anyway, it's all "Techno" to me. ( Or was it "House", "Progressive somethin...", no, wait, i got it... no... lost it again... )

really, it's like sherlokalien said: there is no exact science.

i vividly remember this genre-game from my old punk-rock-times. when you had genres like "Metal-Somithing-Fun-Punk-Grunge-Funk-Fusion-Crossover" etc.

Funny, but not to be taken too seriously.

242150[/snapback]

a capella - there`s no such artist :angry::angry: I see you have got no self-respect, when you say you`ve listened to "shit hole" music. Than at least have respect to the artists <_<

Prodigy are great, but I think we cannot compare them with all Eurodance artists - both have their places in music history.

2 Brothers on the 4th Floor have such tracks, that I am confident are among the most perfect songs ever not only in vocal, but also in instrumental aspect.

*Hehe*, when I was a kid, I listened to retro, along my parents. At 15 my music tastes were almost completely built-up though... Can you get the point ?