Broken Toy - Broken Toy

Insejn

all dance/trance music is formulaic.

i thought that was pretty clear.

you just gotta listen to and appreciate it for what it is.

if you're looking for hardcore, psychedelic, groundbreaking trance

then look again, but if you just want groovy tunes then you're sorted.

lemmi; you have to experience the south african scene

before you can have a proper impression of it.

the party is what it's all about.

Good God how can people praise so much the South African full-on is beyond me... So it's a LITTLE BIT less formulaic than israeli full-on... but that's it!! Again we have a CD full of mediocre stuff and 2 standout tracks:  Fucking Machines and The Raver 6/10 (at least it's better than the new Rinkadink IMO)

261239[/snapback]

haha really funny that musical taste can be so different :) I like this release, it's funky and sets the right mood for any party!

And also..The Raver is the worst track on the album imo ;)

Yeah, The Raver is a boring track imo. I like predictability in tracks, and if the track isn't "predictable" it should become predictable as you listen to it more and more an get to know it. Anyway, Slaphead and Pyscho Bitches are my 2 favorite tracks. Even though their direction is predictable, the melodies aren't, and the tracks have a lot of variation throughout their entire lengths.

• 3 months later...

I reccond this is a good album nice and inventive. BAsslines just crunching I bet it sound so very nice on a 120k system uhhhh!

What determines psychedelic? Does it have to be mind tearing or just mind twisting, its all just a mater of the level of psy'ness and not a matter of psy or not psy...

I think this album falls into the mind twisting catagory...

And also..The Raver is the worst track on the album imo ;)

True

Nevertheless this is a very good album, especially the first half is blinding. The sound is somewhat "ravy", but he's capable of pulling few wonderful melodies. You can see he knows something about music, not just "fiddles" wich Cubase (1st track!). I'm aware that some of you serious old-schoolers will find certain melodies cheesey, but I like it. I very much like the bass there - it's funky and sounds very fat. The ideas are not very fresh indeed, however the level of execution is one of the highest, therefore I'd rate it 8/10.

One thing I agree with Lemmiwinks about is, that it's better than latest Rinkadink :)

Its almost like we need a new genre deliniation : full-on outdoor party dance music, with fat ass synth funk lines and psy squiggles, breaks and other stuff that makes you shake your booty; and actual psychedelic (in the terms of Timothy Leary etc) music... I LOVE both, believe me! In fact, my current love is psygressive... (the marriage between progressive and psy : Iboga et al.)

For a 145 bpm dance music album you can't go past this one.

This album is absolutely phat (with a PH) dance music... its will not lead you to the realisations that other style of music does... yet it is super funky... I LOVE dancing, so I really enjoy this album. If you are looking for other artists like it, think : Sesto Sento (particularly remixes)... fun, funky, and absolutely 'aving it!

I think that this dance/pure distinction has been around for a while... I think what drew me into psytrance in about '97 (apart from the fact that Juno Reactor, Hallucinogen and others were developing some of the best music ever) was the fact that it started developing the super funky basslines of Cosmosis and so on that deliniated it from just "pureflow" goa... the music hybridises, develops and continues... I think the distinction is as clear as hardcore and trance back in the early 90's, actually! (although I put my money on this style getting well cheesy as more people jump on an admittedly simplistic bandwagon, and "pure" still rocking the house in ten years...)

If you like wiggling your butt to a series of superfunky basslines, rhythmic variations, and complementary treble lines : this is the sht... I still love my "pure" full-om (heh heh, typo, but i think I'll keep it) more than any other music (particularly under the influence), and will remain an adherent, but if you want something blasting out your speakers that doesn't make you do anything other than wag your tail... oh yeah!... investigate...!

*hugs*

• 1 year later...

I really like this album. I've only listened to it a few times so far, and it's still growing, but it gets my body and mind moving like very few trance artists can do these days. I'll have to come back for a more substantial review, but for now I'll just say it's a rare pleasure.

At the moment, Toys Just Wanna Have Fun is my favorite track.