Am i the only one who doesnt like Shpongle?

dee

I prefere Tales of the Inexpressible. But then again I love world music too. The Brazilian stuff is a bit dodgy when im not fried, and Room 23 is terrible. That track is interfering on some damn good music! Around the World in A Tea Daze is, in my opinion, very much underated. This track blows my mind everytime. It borrows from so many different genres and succeeds in blending it all toegther so well. But then again I love hindu music, so that might play a factor.

241334[/snapback]

i hope you are aware that the two minute-introduction in "around the world in a tea daze" is taken right off the bottom by one of the most famous and legended flamenco-guitarists PACO DE LUCIA (he has realesed music in 40 years, so dont come with any bshit about "doesnt matter".. he is an ICON in world music).

download it and you will notice.

"Paco De Lucia - Introduccion Y Pantomima"

http://www.pacodelucia.org/flash_ingles.htm

and even I, who is posting this reply, are a great fan of shpongle in all ways and i cant describe how totally moved i am emotionally by their music. i cant wait for the 3rd album. and i know im going to be thrilled by it. i just know it.

but i also know, that i am going to be a little dissapointed if simons steals more minutes from this great man. couldnt he just call him and ask him come to his studio and work out a song together?

but hey, like i said, i love them. totally. my alltimefavoriteband in electronic music.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you mean that track which starts playing as the web-page opens, I can't see any similarities. :huh:

And I can't find any other samples there either.

However, Simon thanks "Lucia" in the credits on the Shpongle album, so I'd suppose they had an agreement on it.

Guest .::E.P

If you mean that track which starts playing as the web-page opens, I can't see any similarities.  :huh:

And I can't find any other samples there either.

However, Simon thanks "Lucia" in the credits on the Shpongle album, so I'd suppose they had an agreement on it.

242626[/snapback]

it's easy to thank someone after stealing 2 minutes of his music when that person haven't agreed that it's ok to use the music ;)

And I seriously doubt he listen to Simon's music.

it's easy to thank someone after stealing 2 minutes of his music when that person haven't agreed that it's ok to use the music ;)

242627[/snapback]

You don't know if they do have an agreement or not.

But the main issue is that I can't see any similarities, or at least can't find the correct track. Where is it? :huh:

But the main issue is that I can't see any similarities, or at least can't find the correct track. Where is it?  :huh:

242629[/snapback]

i seriously doubt it.

But the main issue is that I can't see any similarities, or at least can't find the correct track. Where is it?  :huh:

242629[/snapback]

its not on the site. i just posted the site if you wanted to know more about paco, or at least take a look at his discography :) ..

i can send you the song if you want. my icq is 12992685, msn: gusc@home.se

242627[/snapback]

I have always wondered if you asked/have permission to that Dead Can Dance/Lisa Gerrard singing sample on Elysium - Dust ? Just curious.

242629[/snapback]

The track name was already mentioned there... go download... anybody can hear it's the same. And btw that Paco de Lucia album is damn good (except that one singing track is bit annoying).

I have always wondered if you asked/have permission to that Dead Can Dance/Lisa Gerrard singing sample on Elysium - Dust ? Just curious.

242642[/snapback]

I actually spoke to her and she have a copy of my 2 last CD's. Unfortinently the credits did not go on the CD by a mistake. There should also have been a thank to the makers of Tomb Raider. I used some samples from one of their games.

I actually spoke to her and she have a copy of my 2 last CD's. Unfortinently the credits did not go on the CD by a mistake.  There should also have been a thank to the makers of Tomb Raider.  I used some samples from one of their games.

242646[/snapback]

Ah ok.. nice. :)

The track name was already mentioned there... go download... anybody can hear it's the same. And btw that Paco de Lucia album is damn good (except that one singing track is bit annoying).

242645[/snapback]

Download, download... :rolleyes:

Guest eleria

I actually spoke to her and she have a copy of my 2 last CD's. Unfortinently the credits did not go on the CD by a mistake.  There should also have been a thank to the makers of Tomb Raider.  I used some samples from one of their games.

242646[/snapback]

It is (most probably) still illegal for you to use that sample, even if you asked the singer herself, because most of the times the artists are handing over the publishing rights to the label, when they are releasing their work.

So it's actually not up to Lisa Gerrard, or DeadCanDance themself to decide whether you are allowed to use a sample of their track or not.

Also giving credits, or writing a "thank you" on your CD doesn't make it more legal to use samples from songs/games/movies.

Not that I personally care that much about it, but since you are being very concerned about downloading and the protection of your work, I just wanted to point out, that you are being a bit hypocritical here, since you are using other peoples material illegally yourself.

huh, I didn't like it at first, because I am used to more superior ambient music (fsol, orb:) , and was dissapointed that there are all bits and pieces of music picked up from everywhere

as for the world music, most of it is terrible

on the other side after listening all the albums I found out some really great, happy tunes :rolleyes::lol::)

kinda reminds me on changing the stations on the radio on a bright sunny day, when I am in a very good mood

sometimes it just goes over the boundaries and becomes ridiculous

I see you trance people like to hear those ethnical melodies in your music!?

I still think that some pure electronic stuff, composed by some genius musicians are far superior for tripping

I think the problem with them is that the quality of thier music is so incosistent though the album

huh, I didn't like it at first, because I am used to more superior ambient music (fsol, orb:) , and was dissapointed that there are all bits and pieces of music picked up from everywhere

242707[/snapback]

Orb, while good, aren't superior to Shpongle in any way, IMHO. Not at all.

sometimes it just goes over the boundaries and becomes ridiculous

I see you trance people like to hear those ethnical melodies in your music!?

242707[/snapback]

Yes, we, or at least I, do.

I still think that some pure electronic stuff, composed by some genius musicians are far superior for tripping

I think the problem with them is that the quality of thier music is so incosistent though the album

242707[/snapback]

That's just your opinion. Myself, I prefer music that combines electronic & accoustic attributes, composed by genius musicians. And I don't find Shpongle inconsistent at all.

It is (most probably) still illegal for you to use that sample, even if you asked the singer herself, because most of the times the artists are handing over the publishing rights to the label, when they are releasing their work.

So it's actually not up to Lisa Gerrard, or DeadCanDance themself to decide whether you are allowed to use a sample of their track or not.

Also giving credits, or writing a "thank you" on your CD doesn't make it more legal to use samples from songs/games/movies.

Not that I personally care that much about it, but since you are being very concerned about downloading and the protection of your work, I just wanted to point out, that you are being a bit hypocritical here, since you are using other peoples material illegally yourself.

242701[/snapback]

I think I know the law just as good as you if not better my dear. I did not use a 2 min long total rip of a melody.. I used a 10 (or so) sec sample that I even manipulated with. I asked her if it was ok to use her voice and she said yes. After that the specific sample and various other samples has also been cleared by Warner/chappell Denmark who are my Publishing company.... They clear all my samples with the legal copyright holders. You see they can't work as my publisher without having the samples cleared. So all samples I use are cleared before it's released! To sum it up: I dont use anything illegal!

So I doubt you can call me hypocritical.. Maybe you should stop writing things about me and my work that you got no clue about whatsoever ;)

Guest eleria

I wrote "most probably", because indeed I don't know all the details.

You were answering "I actually spoke to her and she have a copy of my 2 last CD's. ..." to the question if you have permission to use the sample and well, as a matter of fact, asking the singer of the band and getting a 'yes' isn't a legal permission at all, that's why I reacted.

If you cleared your samples with the copywriteholder, than that's a different story and you get a 'big up' for being completely legal.

I think I know the law just as good as you if not better my dear.  I did not use a 2 min long total rip of a melody.. I used a 10 (or so) sec sample that I even manipulated with. 

Who used 2 min long total rip of a melody? Shpongle sure didn't..

Did you really get that tomb raider sample cleared? :huh:

242742[/snapback]

Yes I did. It was just a howl and a wind anyways and it was manipulated so much that you could not regionise it from the original sounds. So it was cleared without any trouble. The benefit of being signed to a huge Publishing company like Warner/Chappell is that they have legal departments all over the world that know every little single detail there is to know about sampling rights and usage.

I have always believed it was easier to ask permission before you finish the CD production than to ask after it's released. In 99.9% of the case there's no problem in getting samples cleared as long as it's short samples and it's even better if they are manipulated with various effects ect.

But of course that's easy for me to say when I have all the help I need from warner/chappell.

Who used 2 min long total rip of a melody? Shpongle sure didn't..

242746[/snapback]

Where did you see the name Shpongle in what i wrote? I made an example. I did not say Shpongle used a 2 min rip of a melody.

Where did you see the name Shpongle in what i wrote?  I made an example. I did not say Shpongle used a 2 min rip of a melody.

242752[/snapback]

But you were obviously pointing at that. Or were you? Perhaps I just misunderstood. :huh:

242626[/snapback]

242627[/snapback]

Where did you see the name Shpongle in what i wrote?  I made an example. I did not say Shpongle used a 2 min rip of a melody.

242752[/snapback]

Right there, and how do you know anyways that they didn't agree?

Right there, and how do you know anyways that they didn't  agree?

242757[/snapback]

paco de lucia is one musician and not a group.

we dont say we know, we are doubting it. do you know who paco de lucia is?

paco de lucia is one musician and not a group.

we dont say we know, we are doubting it. do you know who paco de lucia is?

242775[/snapback]

when i said they i ment between them, shpongle and paco.. doubting and accusing is a different thing..