Am i the only one who doesnt like Shpongle?

dee

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was never a Shpongle fan either. I like their music but not too excited about it

239906[/snapback]

same here: I like Behind Closed Eyelids, but apart from that, it doens't do anything for me...

I thought that althought the production seemed clearer and better on Tales of the Inexpressible. i didnt find the randomness of some of the tunes too appealing. sure its brilliantly put togther with lots of talent involved, there is no question about it, but some of the latino tunes and "fiesta" feel to it didnt appeal to me in perticular. also some dodgy tunes here and there that kinda made me cringe a bit. but they usually dont lst long. it doesnt mean its not good though. i can appreciate it for what it is. completely original and different.

i loved "are you shpongled". its my favorite shpongle album.

Wait till you see our camp  :P

"And thus were the children of Goa split into two factions, one the Shpongled and the other the Unshpongled. They broke first in agreement, then in taste, and finally into two seperate camps.

In the first camp it was declared that Shpongle was of the Top Five holy groups and that their songs should be idealized and worshipped on the holiest of holy times, 4:20 am and pm, and on the holiest of holy days, April 20th. On the holiest day and the holiest time it was decreed that the holiest of masks should be bathed in fresh semen. The camp of Shpongled rejoiced, worshipped, and came all over the Shpongle mask, and it was good.

In the second camp it was declared that Shpongle was rubbish and okay at best, and that carnival Brazilian music was not to be mixed in a song - ever, unless it was a carnival Brazilian song. Outlawed also were the mixing of Latin themes and flute, indeed any mixture of world music was viewed as excessive at best and dodgy at worst. There would be no shooting of loads on the Shpongle mask, nor would there ever be worship on the holy times or the holy day. Shpongle was declared fanboy music and outcast from the camp of the Unshpongled.

And this is how the two factions came to be."

-the Book of Goa,

then at 7:27 or smt this ´ooohhh ohhh oohhh ohhh ohhh,  te pegoo´ brazillian carnival thingie comes in.. and it SUCKS

239537[/snapback]

So you live in Brazil and you hate Brazilian carnival music? You poor thing :P

tons of better chill out music out there....

239517[/snapback]

today, possibly

back in the late 90s, hardly

i think that both albums are seminal for the whole psy downbeat movement

the remixes album is fucking great too (is more my to taste)

i find tales to be more interesting and more daytime oriented, and shpongled more suitable for deeper nighttime tripping. the vocalizing in divine moments is heavenly for me.

if you hear these albums for the first time now and compare them to in search for a meaningful moment eg., yes you might not see what all the hype is about.

however, if you first heard it when it first came out, it probably would have blown your mind if you are into that kind of psychedelic music, and for me downbeat has always been much more psychedelic than trance.

whereas if a trance album is not my cup of tea, i will not listen to it, a lot of psy chillout music is not to my taste, but i still enjoy very much listening to it if it is original and done with feeling, as most of it is.

and as much as i respect shpongle's music and think it is essential and original, i actually listen to it very rarely lately, because it does tend to be a bit fast for me, and because it has been so played out at parties over the years. argghh

remark: androcell - emotivision

also, i quite enjoy celtic cross, very interesting stuff as well. louden is still one of the most beautiful moments for me.

if you hear these albums for the first time now and compare them to in search for a meaningful moment eg., yes you might not see what all the hype is about.

241319[/snapback]

MIGHT is the keyword. Being a newbie. I heard the albums one year back, and I can safely say the are mindblowing still. Much better than Meaningful Moment at least. :)

MIGHT is the keyword. Being a newbie. I heard the albums one year back, and I can safely say the are mindblowing still. Much better than Meaningful Moment at least.  :)

241330[/snapback]

personally, meaningful moment deconstructs me better than shpongled

Ah, ive always loved shpongle. Can't hardly wait for the 3rd. Hope they don't screw up.  :ph34r:

240291[/snapback]

Yeah same. Im really hoping that they came up with some more magic through and through. For me most of their songs make up my daily dose of medicine and just amaze me every time.

Behind Closed Eyelids and the rest of Are You Shpongled? make up my favorite chill out tracks in my collection.

I prefere Tales of the Inexpressible. But then again I love world music too. The Brazilian stuff is a bit dodgy when im not fried, and Room 23 is terrible. That track is interfering on some damn good music! Around the World in A Tea Daze is, in my opinion, very much underated. This track blows my mind everytime. It borrows from so many different genres and succeeds in blending it all toegther so well. But then again I love hindu music, so that might play a factor.

and I suppose it helps that i'm a big fan of Terence Mckenna...

long live Shpongle! and God, Allah, Shiva ,whatever you like to call it, Hope that if they ever become TOO popular,, that they dont friggin sell out. Because that would be another down the bloody drain and really, really, piss me off.

So you live in Brazil and you hate Brazilian carnival music? You poor thing :P

241302[/snapback]

I'm Brazilian too and the carnival it's a bullshit!!! :P My bussiness here is Rave and a lot of Psy Music :lol: