Goa Girls???!

Guest DjBlondiE

I am wondering....why aren't more GIRLS spinning psy and goa and producing??? what do you guys believe the reason is? I personally am a girl and I spin and I am also starting to produce in a male-dominated genre...but why aren't more girls producing??? (music in general...but psy in particular)...does this make anyone else wonder? plenty of girls dance and are into the music, but why aren't they behind the decks and making music?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Avogaden

Girls ussualy dont use computer...

or if they do, they dont know anything about it.

You need to know at least more than basics to use logic and cubase.

So... thats probably the reason...

Now, the reason that they dont know how to operate a computer.... I cant explain!!

: )

I have some theories... and I don't want to sound sexist in any way, but I think the production of psy music is better suited to the male brain. Women are in general better at multitasking, verbal reasoning and emotional response - while men in general are more single-task focussed, better with technology and mechanisms and spatial/mathematical reasoning. Psy trance is of course emotional, but to make it requires a measure of technical skill and linear reasoning.

Another possibility is that, as you say, music is already a male dominated profession. Women have broken into the dj scene here in England but mainly spinning d&b, house and uk garage. These are musically more 'sexy' and less cerebral than psy. Women have found it more rewarding and have been more successful working in an environment where they can capitalise on the importance of image:

D&B dj/producer - DJ Rap:

everyday_splash.jpg

DJRAP.jpg

Hardhouse DJ: Lisa Loud:

lisaloud.jpg

That is not to say that they are any less good as djs - Rap was one of my favourite djs on old jungle mixtapes before I even discovered she was a she. It just that psy isn't really about sexiness, and so maybe that's why fewer women are involved.

Sorry about the gross generalisations - I am not trying to stereotype - but it's only sensible to realise that men and women are different, have different strengths and weaknesses and can't always compete equally at certain tasks.

bomble

should also have mentioned Lisa Pinup:

blackjacket.jpg

bomble

There's a few of course - Sally Doolally, Miranda, Sonia (Manmademan) ....

but my guess is that it's a lower percentage than in other music forms...

bomble

Guest j@BugSystem

I just Magnetrixx playing live in paris a few weeks ago, they are two people and one of them is a female, so are analog pussy.

Guest russ

sorry to change the topic, but i really want to know: how was the magnetrixx live? (actually magnetrixx is one person, but he has made some tracks recently with the female dj Morgana as Morganatrixx, so maybe that's who you saw with him).

Guest DjBlondiE

Thanks for everyones input...please keep adding! Yes, I have definitely seen women break into other genres like dj rap and lisa pin-up, but psy is definitely not one of them...well, i honestly hope to change that...i have been a musician since i took my first "introduction to music" class when i was three years old, and the beat is in my pulse...and you are right about the technical stuff...i bought a production sampler a long time ago and still don't know how to use much of it...but it has nothing to do with my inability to read an instruction manual, rather, that i have no time! ...since i am multi-tasking every day, from school to work!...to make your generalization about women multi-tasking absolutely correct!...so a big goal for me this summer is to dedicate my time to fully educating myself about and understanding all production equipment so i can use my extensive knowledge of musical theory and backround and combine it with these crazy, dark, hard twisted, melodies that are brewing inside of my head... and i encourage all other females to do the same! In the bay area, there was a collective called Goa Girls, but it never really took off because we were all so busy with our lives...but now we may be changing it to Galaxy Girls, the first full-on, female psychedelic movement towards understanding equipment, making crazy tracks, and welcoming new-comers...maybe there are a generation of psy chicks that have some incredible tracks that can't seem to get from point A (their minds) to point B (on vinyl or CD)...what are your thoughts?

Guest Avogaden

Its cool... here in brasil we have a few female psy djs.

and they are good!!!

Some even mix in vinyls!!

I guess djing is the same.... as for production... i guess men fit better. But that doesnt make impossible for women.

Just as bomble said

GO GIRL!

looking forward to the output...

bomble

Guest DjBlondiE

Not if, but *when (lol), I put out my first track, I will definitely share it with you guys!!! Throughout the week, I have been notating different crazy rhythms on manuscript paper during my theory class that are perfect for trippy psychedelic build-ups!...i like the idea of crazy time signatures switching from like 7/8 to to 6/8 to like 3/4...yet working in a really twisted way! I hope to put out some really HARD, crisp base, bizarre, music ...i guess i have to go at this in a psychedelically-agressive manner so it won't be fluffy and girly...haha...

Guest DjBlondiE

Also, I would like to work with some men as well...because I do not know many girls that are into producing super full-on music...so, if anyone is interested in collaborating, or just talking about good music, let me know

Posted Image

Guest DjBlondiE

oh wow...i was wondering how to do that! well, ok, there i am above everyone, so you know who you're chatting with :) thanks! i don't think i have ever really posted much on these boards before...

Guest dam10n

dont forget stella nutella - now a big league-r working with flying rhino and compilation coming out soon on turbotrance... plus in SF there's a very open scene there and all that - shout if you (or any1 else) needs any contacts there

Guest Le lotus bleu

You also have 2 others women which don't still have mentionned yet.

You've got french band Arkétype (Vanessa and Stéphane).

And if i'm not false ,i believe that Ree K.(Rie Kurihara) is a japanese woman producer.

Guest bugbread

Yep...ReeK does some really nice stuff, too. Lots of fan support. Her stuff with Kinocosmo (with her husband Masa and this crazy old guy (Nogera) on drums) is excellent.

By the way, DJBlondie, "crazy time signatures switching from like 7/8 to to 6/8 to like 3/4" -> I may end out being your biggest fan ^_^ The world needs crazier psy.

Guest JanUa

stella nutella And analog pussy are both playing in belgium this weekend, unfortunately not at the same party ... but i choose to see Stella :)

Guest dam10n

hey bugbread, you might like the new CD out on Apoxina records, new (well, new-ish) label with a sound like demon tea, but more danceable.