lead synth sound

I'm trying to get create some leads with a bit of power behind them. The lead synth used on this short track sample here

http://82.13.114.225/Atomicpulseclip.mp3

is similar to what I want, but its so heavily gated and filtered I can't for the life of me work out what its based on, ie wave forms and the type of synth. I've only got VSTs at the moment - but ive tried various combinations of slightly detuned saws and even thrown in a pulse osc. I can't even get close, the best I can get is that cheesey detuned lead used in pop-trance.

Any pointers to the sort of things I should be trying would be awesome. I've been trying with ReFX vanguard, Synth1 and even albino, but been having no real luck.

BTW. I know these sort of questions get asked by peeps all the time looking for a very specific sound, but I'm really just looking for some general advice for programming some full on lead sounds.

Many thanks :)

I think it's a standart detuned saw lead: 2 (or 3 if you like) detuned saw osc's, some unison with spread and detune, some resonance, low pass filter...mmm...12 or 24 db\oct.

The main elements are detune and unison.

I use virus for all my sounds but I think I would use V-Station - it's good for detuned pads and leads. ;)