why psytrance djs ......

machine_hsieh

Guest The Journey Man Project

Also because vinyl melts in the heat in Goa... hence why Goa Gil always uses DAT... plus now-a-days it's alot cheaper to make 5000 cd's than 5 Vinyl.

1. With cd you can play your own original tunes easily. A promo cd can be created in a few minutes, whereas vinyl pressing is a bit of a process!

2. Outdoor parties = huge clouds of dust! Dust lands on the records and screws with the needle= poor sound quality/ playback problems

3. In Cape Town for eg. we have lot's of wind! Many outdoor parties I played at were windy and vinyl dj's couldn't play! Records actually get blown off the turntables! Wheeeee!

4. More cd's released than vinyls

5. For psy... Some people say digital sound is better than analog. Cd's have a bigger frequency range than records = Higher tops, deeper bass. This will be debated for many years to come! fact is the carity of a cd seems to work better with the crispy psychedelic sounds you get in the music.

6. Vinyl's lose sound clarity/quality the more you play them.

I am a CD guy and always have been :D . I have 2 Pioneer CDJ 100S players, which are the vinyl equivalent of Techincs 1200's! Standard!

I can mix records too, but CD's are my weapon of choice! In the beginning I was alone and vinyl DJ's thought I was weird! Nowadays these same vinyl DJ's have switched to CD too! Although there is a sound that you can only get from a record, that punchy analog attack that hits you square on. The analog sound also bleeds together nicely when you mix. With cd the two kick frequencies often cancel each other out, so you have to work with the EQ's a bit. I have respect for viny < see my signature! >....Still CD's are more practical for this style of music.

Good answer Dj Mylo :) CD's are also easier to backup, so you can make a copy of your original CD and carry that with you.. if your burned cd's get stolen that way.. you won't lose that much money :)

Guest .::E.P

Good answer Dj Mylo :) CD's are also easier to backup, so you can make a copy of your original CD and carry that with you.. if your burned cd's get stolen that way.. you won't lose that much money :)

235256[/snapback]

when i was a goa/psy DJ i used a lot of vinyl (except when i played in very hot places - then i used DAT). And names such as Sid Chanti, Mike Maquire, Tsyuoshi ect also used vinyl. I guess it's how you have been "brought" up as a DJ. It used to be a profession - today it's something everyone can become if they have 2 CD's with the latest unreleased music. I learned it from the early acid-house gigs I had in London where vinyls were the thing. I also spin vinyl today but in progressive house.

when i was a goa/psy DJ i used a lot of vinyl (except when i played in very hot places - then i used DAT).  And names such as Sid Chanti, Mike Maquire, Tsyuoshi ect also used vinyl.  I guess it's how you have been "brought" up as a DJ.  It used to be a profession - today it's something everyone can become if they have 2 CD's with the latest unreleased music.  I learned it from the early acid-house gigs I had in London where vinyls were the thing.  I also spin vinyl today but in progressive house.

235306[/snapback]

what about new stuff from elysium project ? :)

I'm a goa/psy trance dj and while here in the U.S. (california) i don't have to worry about extreme heat too much.....I am pretty cautious about going to desert parties because these records are old and hard to come by and if i get sand embedded on them i'm fucked. I personally love vinyl, but i do realise that it is easier to back up cd's then records.....i think it's just everyones preference. And yeah they are releasing more albums on cd and not vinyl, DAMN THEM!!!! :lol:

i'm a newbie bedroom-dj and i prefer vinyl.

it's a pity that almost all new releases are on cd only,

but i do get the point... cd really has many advantages

over vinyl.

but i really can't give up on vinyl. i just have to play

progressive house & trance to go with my progressive

psytrance records... and for now it works just fine :)

i'm considering buying cd players in a couple of years

since i can't just discard so many great releases... but

i'm no hurry since vinyl really rocks :D

my problem is the inverse.. Too many of the prog / house releases I want are only out in vynil....

It's pity that vinyl is going to leave us. Day by day there is less these vinyl publications. These facts, that people said here are true and cd is altrough much practical. But i think vinyl is that original real source of music for dj-use and i respect those who buy and mix with vinyls :)

E.P.,, i do also like prog house, in your opinion who are making good music today in that genre??,,, i think that i only know the surface, the most comercial ones.. digweed, holden, pappa, etc etc.. :unsure:

Guest .::E.P

E.P.,, i do also like prog house, in your opinion who are making good music today in that genre??,,, i think that i only know the surface, the most comercial ones.. digweed, holden, pappa, etc etc.. :unsure:

239422[/snapback]

hmmm there' so many so I dont know where to begin :)

But here's a few that i can think of right now.

in a random order (names only):

Jeff Bennett

Building Peaks

Dakota

Futurecast

Lemon8

Air Bureau

Junk

Alexander Kowalski

Greed

Subsky

Infusion

Graeme L

Little Green Men

Moon Bootica

Kasey Taylor

Dimas

Paul Rogers

Holm & Andersen - not biased at all haha :)

Thomas Penton

Krüger & Coyle

Inkfish

Nicole 1111

DJ19

Gainer

and many many more.....

A few additions to your list:

Fitalic

Dousk

André Absolut

Minilogue

New Disco Science Alliance

Özgür Can

Luke Chable

Echomen

Roman Lieske

And I also really like the new upcoming swede Threshold Productions ... look out for his releases in the future ("Sound System" is beautiful)

Anyways, enough with the offtopic :)