How do you like the new mastering of old classics?

Basilisk

I picked up Retrodelic Vibes 2 and noticed a definite difference in the sound quality... it was mastered by Avi (Space Cat) and I see he's taking on other albums like the newly released re-issue of Witchcraft. Has anyone else noticed a difference? And does it hold true for other re-issues like Prana's Geomantik, Cydonia's debut, etc?

well the remastering of prana geomantik sounds different...

the bassline is definitely harder and goa waves more crystal sound... I like it... :)

Even back ni the days tracks showed up with all sorts of mastering... Subcouds "Greenflow" is supposed to have the first few bars after the kick lowered by 3dB so that it the kicks in properly when you think it's allready at full steam. On some compilations, this has apparantly been seen as some sort of flaw by the guy in charge of mastering, and the entire track has been compressed up to push the first few bars up to the others, effectively killing the dynamics of the track.

On the other hand, Sheyba - "Ganesh" sounds much better and fatter in the remastering it recieved for Destination Goa 1, compared to the Substance CD release of Boyd In the Void, which was its original CD appearance. The smattering percussion in the intro is like 3dB higher in the remastering, which is very nice - I love those sounds =)

yes the re-release of Geomantik sounds better for sure, I think Avatar remastered all their Pro-file releases, but haven't checked any others as I have them still in the old version...

I don't think the re-mastering is the main problem with the old songs, but it are the basslines that makes most of them hopeless out of time... with some more modern, nice basslines style Cosma - Floppy many oldies could be up to date killers... :)

with some more modern, nice basslines style Cosma - Floppy many oldies could be up to date killers... :)

234808[/snapback]

heh whats so great about this bassline? just one note hammering out, he usually did way better b-lines than that (both soundwise and melodicwise ;)

Guest The Journey Man Project

It's nice to have them re-mastered so that it makes them easier to play now-a-days, they don't sound so tinny compared to new releases... anyways, am busy petitioning a re-release of Xenomorph's "Cassandra's Nightmare" which is the original horror trance, was so great!! Avatart rock, probably my fav label riot now.

yes the re-release of Geomantik sounds better for sure, I think Avatar remastered all their Pro-file releases, but haven't checked any others as I have them still in the old version...

I don't think the re-mastering is the main problem with the old songs, but it are the basslines that makes most of them hopeless out of time... with some more modern, nice basslines style Cosma - Floppy many oldies could be up to date killers... :)

234808[/snapback]

yes indeed Anoebis the old goa basslines makes the production kinda dirty , but i must admit that i love the old records as they sound now. Old and dirty yes , thats what brings a nostalgia right now.

cheers mates.