Your best ambient moments and why.....

Ormion

Shpongle - And The Day Turned To Night: Countless singles, two albums and a third one on the way.... This 20-minute opus is still Shpongle's masterpiece (Simon agrees with me). It is beautiful as the dawn and vast and mysterious as the depths of the pacific ocean. The ambient noises, the flute, the change in tempo and the melodies.... All is just perfect.

233687[/snapback]

yeah i recorded a chillout mix i did about a year ago, and i started it off with that choon. 20 minutes long, but soooo good. brilliant. it must have taken ages to make it. i like :)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Astro Cortex

1.Mushroom Band-Denmark Elephant Grey:This unknown group is a project of Swordfish (Astralasia) and Masters.(Don't be confused with their other project Magic Mushroom Band which is more Psychedelic Rock than ambient).

I don't believe there is a difference between Magic Mushroom Band and just Mushroom Band. The two tracks you mentioned are from the album 'Mushroom Band - Magic', but they might as well left the word 'Magic' out of the band name intentionally for the album cover, to "reserve" it for the title. It's a bit confusing, really.

10.Astralasia-Aloo:Old School ambient at it's best.One of the most emotional intros ever and melodies that make me so sad-but I luv it!

A very nice example of their "ambient trance" style, I love this one too :)

Orbital - Halcyon & On & On... it's wonderful bliss right through. Not psychedelic, but very summery, melacholic and sweet. Everybody must hear this one.

I wouldn't call it ambient, but yeah, it's a lovely track, with that female voice and that optimistic and uplifting bassline.

And now for my own favourite ambient moments....

UHFF! That would be a huge list, as I have a LOT of favourite ambient tracks. I guess I wouldn't even be able to choose a top 100 of them. It would be even more difficult to determine which tracks are ambient at all, as I have absolutely no idea where exactly to draw the line between ambient and trance/techno or ambient dub or IDM. So I'm gonna post just SOME of my faves, and that list will in no way be representative of my complete list of favourite artists or tracks (e.g. the list of Ozric Tentacles ambient tracks would be soo damn long, and I left them out). Here we go, no order of course (sorry, too lazy to point out the best "moments", in most cases it's all about the feel of the entire track anyway):

Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works 85-92: A milestone in electronic music history, one of the very very best, there's nothing like it. Favourite tracks are Tha and Heliosphan. An album I could listen to every day (if I had an hour for free :) ). Selected Ambient Works 2, which is quite different, is the result of Richards attempts to record the music he heard in his (lucid) dreams. 2 discs to explore the deepest corners of your (sub-) consciousness. It's that sometimes eerie feeling you have when waking up from a dream, converted into sound.

Astralasia - Strange Celestial Dream: Easily their best ambient track. The title sums it up quite well. The "strange" thing is how brass and other rather organic sounds are juxtaposed to the intense space ambience. Truly a mind-altering experience.

The Orb - Huge Ever Growing.....: No words. Or better yet: my review here ;)

Qubism - Anthropomorphic: Simply awesome! Epic ambient at its very best, with an ethnic flavor, easily one of my top 10 ambient tracks, catchy melodies that shout "This is a classic!" at you once they enter your ears. Very well done, just pure em:t quality.

Gas - Microscopic: Mystic, melodic, futuristic, eerie, tripped-out sci-fi ambience. The whole album is a masterpiece, and Microscopic seems to be my favourite ten minutes on it.

Global Communication - 76 14: Another stunning ambient/chillout album, best moments are (amongst others):

14 31: Almost the same as what I said about the Qubism track, still different, but it does come close in its epicness and catchiness.

12 18: This is what I want to hear when entering heaven (or whatever will happen) after dying. If there's one track that almost managed to make me cry, it's definitely this one.

Kraftwerk - Autobahn: brrrmmm brrrmmm tch tch umm umm tch tch umm umm tch tch B)

DLS - Holo-Movement (review here), their other album AnNur AlHaqq is also excellent.

Hoedh - Hymnus (Neuroprogrammierung): This track gives you a warm and secure inside feeling, a meditative piece that puts you into a dream state.

Hostia - Absoluthum 02: Dark, apocalyptic ambience with a psy edge, alien ritual music, Whoa!

Psychick Warriors Ov Gaia - Obsidian (Deconstructure): A journey deep within the world of the mind; inner and outer distances; the vastness of the universe <-> the centre of the earth/gaia; water as the essence of life; the shimmering beauty of the underworld.

Dead Can Dance - Spirit Dancer

Deep Dive Corporation - song 4 & 6 from their first album

Electric Universe - Gayatri

Shpongle - Tales of cd as a whole

ALL Fahrenheit projects

Vibrasphere - San Pedro

Makyo - Yakshini

Infected Mushroom - Dancing with Khadafi

Damn, I'd swear this is a topic for personal opinions and taste.

Sorry about that, man. I shall never listen to it again. :)

233831[/snapback]

No no, I wasn't saying that. I'm just wondering if you could tell me what's so good about it? After all, you wrote that everybody who has heard it would know. But I don't. Explanation plz. ;)

Not just the tracks are special to me, but they also are linked to a certain moment when I was listening to them.

Exploring Angkor Wat in Cambodia around sunrise, listing to the first Shulman album (on acid :blink: ): damn near one of the most intense moments of my live... I think this picture paints a nice story: http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/10900720/

(fav track playing on the discman: First came the stars! the cut-up voice-samples especially)

Exploring again, this time the power of the shrooms at 15yrs old; listening to the Orb live album from from 93

(fav track: Little fluffy clouds, solid tempo, even dancable when played loud enough) .

Finally sliding into a well-deserved sleep after countless heavy parties with my girlfriend already asleep next to me, Ooze gently playing in the back

(fav track: Restricted Flow, pure musical beauty, the whole album sounds like a forrest of electronical animals)

& ofcourse the slower version of People can fly, which still gives me goosebumps every time I hear it...

No no,  I wasn't saying that. I'm just wondering if you could tell me what's so good about it? After all, you wrote that everybody who has heard it would know. But I don't. Explanation plz.  ;)

233882[/snapback]

Right, here goes: I can't really see how you can be a chill-out lover and not love this track, regardless of the fact that Asura's stuff is all pretty much the same, as you put it. Fact is, in my humble opinion, no one has really heard this track if he just listened to it and did not immediately fall in love with it... I don't know, that's just the way I feel and I'm sorry you can't find any beauty in this track (pretty much all of it, by the way).

That's the best I can do...

Right, here goes: I can't really see how you can be a chill-out lover and not love this track, regardless of the fact that Asura's stuff is all pretty much the same, as you put it. Fact is, in my humble opinion, no one has really heard this track if he just listened to it and did not immediately fall in love with it... I don't know, that's just the way I feel and I'm sorry you can't find any beauty in this track (pretty much all of it, by the way).

That's the best I can do...

233984[/snapback]

Yeah. I understand what you mean. My impression of the track is just ruined by the fact that he uses samples, which, on top of all, Shpongle also uses - much better. :(

Asura's stuff is all pretty much the same, as you put it...

233984[/snapback]

If someone doesn' t love or hate our music, no problem, everybody has the right to have its own tastes. But nobody can say that all of our tracks are similar one each other. Impossible.

If there is one positive point in our music, even for those who dislike or hate Asura, is our polymorphysm, and a changing style with each track.

Those who says that our tracks are always the same:

1) never listened to Asura

or

2) have no ears.

or

3) aren' t honest.

Thanks a lot for your kind words Delusional about Lost Eden, and well, answer to Cinos, please, I think he really didn't understand what you found special in this track.

Yeah. I understand what you mean. My impression of the track is just ruined by the fact that he uses samples, which, on top of all, Shpongle also uses - much better.  :(

233990[/snapback]

It's your point of view Cinos.

I think the Shpongle use of this "Voices of Istanbul" samples are purely and simply shameful. Simon takes a whole patch of "voices..." and put them in Around the World in a Tea Daze like it, without thinking about rythms, melody, nothing, in fact... I can't stand this snoberry around this track (not around Shpongle, around this track). I can affirm here, no matter if one thinks I am pretentious, we worked much much longer those samples, and better than he did. By all means, it's the last time I say it, I think your reactions, you and delusional proves someone love one version, other another.

But stop saying use of those samples in "Tea Daze" are very good, or fantastic. Or buy Voices of Istanbul, you'll understand what I am talking about, and you'll be very very disapointed. :blink:

If someone doesn' t love or hate our music, no problem, everybody has the right to have its own tastes. But nobody can say that all of our tracks are similar one each other. Impossible.

If there is one positive point in our music, even for those who dislike or hate Asura, is our polymorphysm, and a changing style with each track.

Those who says that our tracks are always the same:

1) never listened to Asura

or

2) have no ears.

or

3) aren' t honest.

Thanks a lot for your kind words Delusional about Lost Eden, and well, answer to Cinos, please, I think he really didn't understand what you found special in this track.

234128[/snapback]

Now come on, your opinion hardly is objective eh? <_< I might listen to your tracks some more, but at first listen they certainly sound all the same. :(

I think the Shpongle use of this "Voices of Istanbul" samples are purely and simply shameful. Simon takes a whole patch of "voices..." and put them in Around the World in a Tea Daze like it, without thinking about rythms, melody, nothing, in fact... I can't stand this snoberry around this track (not around Shpongle, around this track). I can affirm here, no matter if one thinks I am pretentious, we worked much much longer those samples, and better than he did. By all means, it's the last time I say it, I think your reactions, you and delusional proves someone love one version, other another.

But stop saying use of those samples in "Tea Daze" are very good, or fantastic. Or buy Voices of Istanbul, you'll understand what I am talking about, and you'll be very very disapointed.  :blink:

234143[/snapback]

Now that is just so damn pretentious. At least post under an alias damnit! There's nothing more annoying than an artist saying something like that. "I'm better than that artist, I did it better" etc.

But stop saying use of those samples in "Tea Daze" are very good, or fantastic. Or buy Voices of Istanbul, you'll understand what I am talking about, and you'll be very very disapointed.  :blink:

234143[/snapback]

Those who say Shpongle do not use the vocals well in Tea Daze

1) Haven't listened to it.

2) Don't have ears.

3) Aren't honest.

And don't tell me that reasoning isn't annoying.;)

Now come on, *entering part about personal taste* those damn vocals fit the grand Shpongle track much better than your generic ambient one (but this might be because I heard the Shpongle track first... :unsure: ). I simply cannot imagine them being used better. Can't. Ever.

There's nothing more annoying than an artist saying something like that. "I'm better than that artist, I did it better" etc.

234154[/snapback]

But you, you have the right to say what is better or not?

Hehe... your reaction prove you didn't understand a word in what I was saying or that your reasoning isn't honest. Well, ok, you are right, I am wrong, and everybody is happy, Cinos! And I don't need an alias (pfff) to say that.

234143[/snapback]

Sadly I must agree. Most the things I liked about Shpongle turned out to be samples. Also most of his track titles were taken from other older albums. ( Allan parson project, Jimi Hendrix, etc..)

you guys are arguing over who used samples better....am i the only one who finds this strange?

asura, i listened to some of your songs and they don't sound anything like any shpongle tracks.  comparing apples to oranges?

234287[/snapback]

There's a sample Shpongle used and we used, that's all.

When I said that we used it "better" I meant "more honestly", it's obvious when one reads my post, knowing this "Voices of Istanbul" vocal patch, taken from the beginning till the end by Simon. Obviously, Simon has a huge talent, it's a secret for nobody. But the genious of Shpongle is a little bit too much emphasized sometimes, and especially on the use of the samples in this track, which is shameful (I assume).

I don't compare our talent to Shpongle one, there's no point in that, but Cinos said that the use of those voices are far better used by Shpongle in "Tea Daze" than by us in the track "Lost Eden". I read this thread and, knowing all which were said about "Voices of Istanbul", I think I have an answer right, even if his post wasn't for us. Otherwise, I would have never given my opinion about this subject.

But you are perfectly right Tryptamine, we use the same sample (us a sample in the sample, him the whole sample) but this is not the same music. I don't know why Cinos compared those two tracks, but, as he did, I thought it was obvious to bring some... precisions I would say. So for the sense of the comparison, ask to Cinos, not to me.

But well, now this subject is closed, it doesn't really matter, and it's not the topic. Sorry for the flood, mea culpa, but let's keep on giving our best ambient moments here.

well to get the thread back on track I'd have to say

Hallucinogen - Angelic Particles, the entire freakin song. I love this song and will never get enough of it

Bluetech - Prophetic Sines also a great track, i like it much better then the rest of the bluetech stuff.

Shpongle - Shpongle Spores this is one of the most hypnotizing songs i have ever listened to. can't relax? listen to this song.

There's a sample Shpongle used and we used, that's all.

When I said that we used it "better" I meant "more honestly", it's obvious when one reads my post, knowing this "Voices of Istanbul" vocal patch, taken from the beginning till the end by Simon. Obviously, Simon has a huge talent, it's a secret for nobody. But the genious of Shpongle is a little bit too much emphasized sometimes, and especially on the use of the samples in this track, which is shameful (I assume).

I don't compare our talent to Shpongle one, there's no point in that, but Cinos said that the use of those voices are far better used by Shpongle in "Tea Daze" than by us in the track "Lost Eden". I read this thread and, knowing all which were said about "Voices of Istanbul",  I think I have an answer right, even if his post wasn't for us. Otherwise, I would have never given my opinion about this subject.

But you are perfectly right Tryptamine, we use the same sample (us a sample in the sample, him the whole sample) but this is not the same music. I don't know why Cinos compared those two tracks, but, as he did, I thought it was obvious to bring some... precisions I would say. So for the sense of the comparison, ask to Cinos, not to me.

But well, now this subject is closed, it doesn't really matter, and it's not the topic. Sorry for the flood, mea culpa, but let's keep on giving our best ambient moments here.

234301[/snapback]

asura, the best advice w\ regards to cinos is to ignore =) and what are your favorite ambient moments? as in, parts of tracks that you adore, that define ambience for you? btw, i'm glad your track lost eden was brought into the discussion, because i hadn't heard your music before.... rock on, it's excellent. and i'll have to agree that i like your more subtle use of the sample way more than the "insert here" aspect of tea daze.

and remember, ignorant - ant + e = ignore.

so step on some ants and take some e, and it'll all be good =)

-ensign

Well, ignorance is, as they say, bliss.

I'm not going to press the issue of the samples futher, as I've already stated my opinion. But I'm just going to ask: Isn't anybody else annoyed by an artist blatantly saying he "did something better" than another?

As on topic, I completely forgot about Ott!

Jack's Cheese and Bread Snack

Splitting An Atom

Spannered In Pilton

Smoked Glass and Chrome

Are all excellent ambient moments. Splitting an atom also shows us an example of perfect sample usage. (hint, hint! ;) )

asura,  and what are your favorite ambient moments?  as in, parts of tracks that you adore, that define ambience for you? 

-ensign

234343[/snapback]

You know ensign, I have so many fantastic ambient moments which make me shiver. By example, in no particular order:

Solar Fields Outlined surface. Between 4:05 till the end. Fantastic atmosphere, between acid, spacey music, warm rythms, with an atmospheric piano perfectly introduced. I love Solar Fields.

Tangerine Dream: Ricochet Part two . The passage between the intro piano and the mellotron strings and arpeggio. Unforgetable for me till I heard them for the first time ten years ago.

Union Jack: don't remember the title track, that I heard and record on a poor ferro K7, but all in this track is awesome. the introduction, themes, atmospheres. Unfortunatly I lost the K7 and nobody were able to tell what is this track. So, its beauty must be emphasized by my rememberings... or by my oblivion! ;)

Shpongle: and the Day turned to night For me by far the best track I heard from Shpongle, really beautiful, soulful, fantasticaly constructed. The (very) long introduction make me dream everytime I listen to it. A pure moment of raising consciousness.

Jaia: L'ivresse des profondeurs give me the impression I fade away into the abyss. Ex-tra-or-di-na-ry well made and thought. Again, I love the introduction, which set the story smoothly and deeply. Great moment of ambient msic and music above all.

The only psy-ambient track worthy enough to make it to my list is Shpongle - And the day... most notably the build up with flute playing - before the heavy rhythm part - and the climax at the end.

Tangerine Dream - Rubycon Part 1:

The sequencer part from 8th minute on or so. It doesn't get any better.

I'll get back on this later.