Greece, Kos

natkejs

Hey guys!

Looking for a little info ... maybe some links.

I'll be in Greece on the island Kos for a month during May - June to attend school.

Since nightclubs and people falling over each other doesn't entertain me THAT much I was wondering if anyone of ya had some clue about the goa/trance scene down there. (Yeah it's down viewed from Sweden)

Any info or links would be appreciated :)

Thanks / Dario

Hey Dario.

Im from Greece and been in Kos once.

Kos is a little island in the Aegean sea,basically surviving from tourism,so dont expect any trance parties or any first class events.The closer place you would find such kind of events,would be Athens.

Just enjoy your stay there.May to June is probably too early(meaning that tourism is not that high in this period) but you can and will find some very beautiful places to take a walk or something.Since June can be considered a hot month (unless you are unlucky) you can also enjoy the beautiful crystal sea of Kos!Anyway,enough with the promotion haha.I dont think you will find any Goa/Trance parties in Kos,but im not sure.Google might help you betten than me.Strange things happen in Aegean islands.Remember this.And of course,have a great time there!

I think you might be right.

I hear some great DJ's are playing at the tourist locations tho, such as Ibiza ... unfortunately I haven't heard anything about Kos. Guess it's all about getting drunk.

As for it being low season, I can only hope lol

As for Athens, that's where I'll start my journey and then make my way to Kos by ferry. Are you saying I should take an extra week or so in Athens? :)

It seems very expensive but I would love to check out the scene in Greece if I can!

Thanks for taking the time to reply.. Greece is a beautiful country, I'm sure I will enjoy it this time also :)

Hey look,it depends on what you want.

If you come in Greece to relax and have some sunny time at the beach,go for the islands and you will find something interesting there,even if you have to search and ask.

Athens is something else.Its fucking chaos compared to Kos.Its a jungle with 5mil monkeys.If you like to take a walk in the big city,get lost in the little roads and watch some ancient ruins and stuff,go for Athens.HeHe.If you know where to go in Athens,its the paradise of nightlife.Trust me!Even if you dont find any trance parties(you will find) there are a LOT of places to go,at least explore other kinds of electronica.If you need any help for Athens in May before you go,you just open a thread and ask ;)

About Kos:its THE place for Swedish people.Summer of '02 i was there and the island was about 30-40% scandinavians.Drinking a lot of beeeeeeer and relaxing under the sun.

I'll definitly look in to spending a few extra days in Athens.

You've been very helpful, thanks a lot!

Oh btw, do you live in Athens? It'd be fun to grab a few beers or something when I'm over there, always fun to meet new people!

:)

(oh and sorry moderators, I noticed there was a special forum for these kind of questions...... my bad)

Hey no problem,whatever you want,you just ask.

No i live in Thessaloniki,second biggest city in the country but i spent 2 years in Athens and i love the place.

Of course there are some people here leaving in Athens,im sure you'll get some extra help from them if you decide to stay there.

BTW,there is an Autechre event in May(in Athens) so maybe i'll be there and who knows,maybe i'll guide you through the mystic roads ;)

Just one thing.  Who in their right mind would go to Athens in June? ;)

It's way too hot, dirty and poluted in the summer-time.

233118[/snapback]

HeHe.

Hot yes.But the water is cheap and he is also going to Kos where the sea will cool him for sure ;) Dirty...umm..the center of the city is now much much better after the Olympics.But yes there are some areas you dont want to go.Polluted...umm...that polluted atmosphere is the secret and the big advantage of the crazyness and the high feeling in Athens B)

BTW,who can keep a city with 5mil people unpolluted?

Hey no problem,whatever you want,you just ask.

No i live in Thessaloniki,second biggest city in the country but i spent 2 years in Athens and i love the place.

Of course there are some people here leaving in Athens,im sure you'll get some extra help from them if you decide to stay there.

BTW,there is an Autechre event in May(in Athens) so maybe i'll be there and who knows,maybe i'll guide you through the mystic roads  ;)

233117[/snapback]

Sounds wicked, you got any dates for that event?

Always thought Greece was a nice country, too bad the prices has gone up so much. I seem to remember people telling me it was a very good country for backpacking many years ago ... before the Scandinavians arriwed lol

Oh and I mean the prices, I'm sure the country itself still rocks!

Oh and EP >> I'm going to school @ Kos ... and believe it or not, the school wouldn't let me decide the dates :P

Nice sig animation you got there btw :)

Sounds wicked, you got any dates for that event?

Always thought Greece was a nice country, too bad the prices has gone up so much. I seem to remember people telling me it was a very good country for backpacking many years ago ... before the Scandinavians arriwed lol

Oh and I mean the prices, I'm sure the country itself still rocks!

233143[/snapback]

About the Autechre event,i dont know any dates,ask the guy who told me that hehe he logs in here under the nickname agia_igoumeni (which is extremely lol if you translate it).

About the prices,blame the damn Euro coins!You should have come in '95,prices were almost funny ;) Now 10 years later,Athens is in the 10 most expensive cities in the world!Ouch!!

About the prices,blame the damn Euro coins!You should have come in '95,prices were almost funny  ;) Now 10 years later,Athens is in the 10 most expensive cities in the world!Ouch!!

233153[/snapback]

Are we so expencive...?? Fuck.....

Natkejs i live in Athens and it will be no prob to show you around...!! We still have a bit of time till then though...!!

;)

Man!Kolonaki is more expensive than fucking Tokyo!!

233165[/snapback]

No....Kolonaki is cheap if you compare it with some areas by the sea...Vouliagmeni, glyfada, varkiza....!!

Prices are not crazy in the restaurants in kolonaki, the average ones i mean...!! Believe it or not...most expencive dish costs 15 euro....!! Not really cheap, but not that expencive as well...!!

ive been to the island of Kos, it was 4 yrs ago tho and there was not a sniff of the trance (but thats not what i went their for, so hey - i was happy!)

back then there was only 2 major resorts on the island and yes, they were full of tourists falling over drunk of an evening, which is funny.....for a while.

some pretty places to see, some nice beaches and the sea down that way is amazingly clear and crystal blue....lovely.

I went in mid april and fuck it was hot! a nice change from cloudy rainy england at that time of year

Goazzz... >> sounds great :)

and damn, is it really THAT expensive? sounds like a month over there is gonna ruin me ... need to smuggle with me the company credit card or something :D

oh and Gnome, don't be a tease, you know you have to translate that nick now that you brought it up ;)

and damn, is it really THAT expensive? sounds like a month over there is gonna ruin me ... need to smuggle with me the company credit card or something :D

oh and Gnome, don't be a tease, you know you have to translate that nick now that you brought it up ;)

233174[/snapback]

It will ruin you if you stay in Athens without knowing where to go/where to look for cheap needs.But dont worry,if the time comes and you decide your stay there,someone from this forum will help.

About the guy's nickname,its really hard to translate,its like a female version of orthodox monk or something.Tragic :D

Goazzz... >> You have a very good point, Sweden is likely the second most expensive country in Europe ... Norway is A LOT worse tho, and I mean A LOT. The norweigans sometimes travel to Sweden to do shopping, crazy!

Gnome >> I guess you're right ... as for getting help, WOW, what a beautiful atmosphere at this board ... feels like I'm back in Thailand or something :)

Oh and as for anyone who wants to visit Kos, the ferry over there ain't that expensive huh? I think I'll be living in an apartment with one other guy or so over there when attending school ... maybe I can bribe him a little so he'll let me have a roomie, in case anyone wants to have a holiday without paying hotel... we'll see :)

Guest .::E.P

@ natkejs

eheemmm have you been to Denmark? The tax is way higher than Sweden (49-56%), Food, clothes and daily nessesarities are 30-35% more expensive and dont make me start on buying a car and insurance ;) Does 300% more ring a bell?

Sweden is not as expensive as you make it to be.

Guest .::E.P

Sweden is ridicoulus inexpensive compared to denmark...

233325[/snapback]

Yes :)

I am Danish living in Malmoe and believe me here it's way cheaper than in Copenhagen. I save 30-40 % each time I buy food and other things compared to Copenhagen and the rent is almost 50% cheaper than in Copenhagen and surrounding areas for the same size appartment! Living costs are way lover here. That's the fact.

But the price on alchohol here is a total different story haha :)

Yes :)

I am Danish living in Malmoe and believe me here it's way cheaper than in Copenhagen.  I save 30-40 % each time I buy food and other things compared to Copenhagen and the rent is almost 50% cheaper than in Copenhagen  and surrounding areas for the same size appartment!  Living costs are way lover here.  That's the fact.

But the price on alchohol here is a total different story haha :)

233329[/snapback]

I honestly only knew alcohol was a lot cheaper in Denmark, it's one of those countries I seem to have overlooked.

Schwitzerland is also very expensive but I'm not sure how it is in comparison to Scandinavia.

Living in Sweden isn't too bad tho, it's worse in a lot of other European countries ... but alcohol and stuff is usually cheaper and that seems to be what the average Scandinavian spends most money on anyways lol