4. Escalation of tensions

5. Last of the V8 interceptors

6. Depth perception

7. Soiled

8. The pipe doctor

9. The twin complex of dawn

10. Captain senior mouse

Released: Feb. 2005

I already reviewed this one on a belgium forum in dutch, track by track so won't translate it...

too lazy :P ...

but damn... this is psychedelic trance with lots of goatrance influences... I like it a lot... It's pure fairytale style... Happy trols and elfs dancing under a big mushroom...

not explosive at all and very subtile and gentile....

the bassline isn't fullon at all... some tracks the bassline has got fullon influences but benza gives them a typical touch that you won't interpretate it like fullon...

this is psychedelic trance that is not good because of the hardest kick or best melody... but intilligent & atmospheric & that's what goatrance is all about imho...

I love it... :wub:

9/10 for goatrance lovers comparing/considering (to) the fullon explosion...

this is definitly one for you amitababuddha... ;) , I'll hope you enjoy it :D

Yes! I enjoy ithis album very much. Better imo than previous album, but that one was amazing! =)

231667[/snapback]

Awesome goa trance, this is for everyone are looking for pure psychedelic trance instead of boring full on or normal euro trance.

• 3 weeks later...

I prefer the term Old School for this one.

It's Old School not Goa.

240723[/snapback]

:D if it's old skool then it's defenitly goa my friend... mostly all old skool <2000 is goatrance dark or melodic... some releases are direction psychedelic trance in 1999 but still... so if you say old skool is the same telling it's goatrance ;)

OK, I'm not entirely sure what it is, or what their last album was, but it doesn't appeal to me. I take recommendations of Goa trance rather seriously, but Retrofuturism hasn't yet caught my interest. Honestly it sounds sort of dull and unfocused, muddy at times, nicely melodic at others - but still... hmmm....

Mediocre album indeed... Altough I like track 6 véry much, very nice melodies in a dreamy way, track 1 and 9 are pretty good too, the rest is forgettable, I expected more after all those positive reviews, it gets a 5/10 from me

For people claiming this to be oldschool: take your old AP or Transwave CDs out of your dusty shelfs and listen to them again... THEN tell me if this is oldschool goa... To me this is one more album in what I call the "NES psy" genre (like Lani and Vibe Tribe). Sometimes it can be good, no doubt about that (example being track 3, 4 and 6) but most of the time it's pretty average IMO. The thing is that most tracks seem too "light" or somehow not serious enough.

I was expecting to get some great blend between oldschool melodies and new production and ended up with a pretty average "NES psy" album :( 6/10 Still, there are some tracks that are well worth it :)

comparing this to lani and vibe tribe lemmi... jezus man are you wasted ;) ...

this is nothing like you 'nes psy' you say... it isn't even fullon so :unsure:

btw : I said it was psychedelic trance with lots of goa influences not that it was goatrance !!!!!!!!!

Track 6 was one of the best tracks i had heard all year until.. I was listening to the track at home and enjoying it when my friend came visiting and said the tracks sounds like Kylie Minoque - Can't Get You Out Of My Head, you know, ->

La la la

La la la la la

La la la

La la la la la

Now i can't listen to the track anymore without hearing the disturbing much similarity to it. I had to even download the Kylie track and compare them.. After that i tried to add the La la la part on top of Benzas track but didn't get floops working at the time with mp3's. I made sure the curse wouldn't stay only with the two of us, so i told another friend about it.. now he has the same problem with it. haha. It's like passing forward the tape in the Ring.

If you read all way here it's too late, you will never enjoy it again..muuahahah!

what you mean the bassline in the beginning? Yeah that kindof sounds like it... still I was expecting the synthline to sound like Kylie or something... it's still acceptable IMO (and the best track on this album)

251586[/snapback]

Yes, mostly the bass parts actually. They, match with the "chiller" parts of Benzas track after the kick comes in in track 6t + the "overall" feeling is very similar imo.I would otherwise say maybe it's just me that it actually bothers, but it's not only me. So im accusing Benza off doing a rip-off. :P It's not as recognizable as a remix or anything .. he tried to hide it i think, but he was not clever enogh. <_<

Anyway.. i still think it's the best track from the album and like it much eventhough it bothers me little. I was just being overpicky in my previous post hehe.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't expect much but in fact this is very cute, fresh, light album. I find it poetic and rather pictoresque. I don't find it average but above average but still not great. I like DUCK AND COVER, ESCALATION OF TENSION, LAST OF THE V8 INTERCEPTORS, DEPTH PERCEPTION. All in all pretty good, refreshing and tame album, I can't see any connection with goa trance though, not even with old school, just because it has some gentle melodies and fine structures doesn't make it goa trance...7/10

All the pretty words echoing in the back of my mind, somehow have found it's way to this thread already: "pure fairytale, cute, light, poetic, pictoreque" - let me think.. no, nothing else to add.

Benza's the pilot on my flight and a really trippy, hazy flight through soft, psychedelia clouds it is.

Usually I don't like when vocal samples are used, but on this album some of the vocal samples are great, some still bother me a bit, but mostly I can't really understand what they're saying so they kinda just blend to the music.

I'd mention three of the tracks also, that I remember something about:

The Pipe Doctor - "Silence!", "Does it seem a bit.. quiet to you?" and then wham! some really rocking guitar riffs just destroy the "silence" and the breakbeat sample IMO actually sounds good for the first time in the whole track!

Duck and Cover, the way the long trippy synth in the beginning transforms throughout the whole track is just amazing and how somewhere through the 3rd minute it turns into something really catchy and melodic - just love it!

The Ascension of Smeagol, has the typical (still good, slightly melodic) Benza psychedelic sound throughout, but the reason for mentioning this track is the silence part - really not sure about it, well actually I am - it's like coming! then stops, coming! the stops, coming! then stops and suddenly it sounds like michael flatley was given 2 seconds of fame before run down by a truck of ravers - and then the journey continues harder than ever. weird, just weird IMO.

Duck and Cover and Depth Perception are my favourites, but there are other really good tracks as well.

Overall I love the album, and a rating.. 8/10, it wasn't perfect but really good as I hear it.

• 1 year later...