about progressive trace

Asmo

im not sure what that word stands for.. i like oldschool goatrance albums and its morphing to psytrance in the present day, but i sometimes see somme ppl use the word 'progressive'. which are the main differences with goa and psy? id be very thankful if someone can explain it here, which are the main progressive trance artists and why do most ppl in this forum seem to dislike it? does progressive goa exist too? im very confused :s thanks very much!

man Im tired and I have to wake up early tomorrow...

ok let me say a little hehe

the word progressive first came because progressive trance was a change in the normal goa/early full on trance, so this with this change, this new style came up, (just like ´progressive rock´ was a change to the normal rock when it came up)..

Nowadays, prog (short for progressive obviously) is used not in terms of change (since its been around for a while and some progressive are not very innovative.. some are, but not all)

but in general, progressive stands for a slower type of trance, with not so many layers and thousands of noise all around... in that way, each sound becomes more important, there is a great emphasis on the details.. So for example. instead of a 145bpm track full of millions of effects and melodies, you get a 135bpm very groovy track, with a different bassline and worked patterns, many details and trippy sounds..

there are different progressive types.. there are the darker progressive (like sensient) there are the more housy progressive (v-tunes, vision and canedy, etc)... the borders between housy progressive and house are not very fixed... Actually progressive in general many times flows and can be mistaken with some techhouse, or progressive house, etc...

for some good progressive names, I suggest:

Antix (check out the ´Lull´ cd)

phony orphants (check out the ´Symphony´ cd)

andre absolut

beckers

vision and canedy

frogacult

many others to say.. check those out and if you like, I give more recomendations..

for some good progressive names, I suggest:

Antix (check out the ´Lull´ cd)

phony orphants (check out the ´Symphony´ cd)

andre absolut

beckers

vision and canedy

frogacult

many others to say.. check those out and if you like, I give more recomendations..

230226[/snapback]

I would add Etnoscope, Export Audio, Atmos, Son Kite, Vibrasphere and FREq to the list of essential starting proggy.

If you like more stuff like Sensient mentioned above, check stuff from his label - Zenon: Eyes Rolling is one my favourite compilations of all time.

In my opinion progressive trance is more "open" music.

Instead of a massive wall of sound, it is characterised more by building tension & subtle changes. Generally speaking, a lot of time & effort is put in the sound as well.

In the beginning a lot of this music was very dark & agressive with a strong minimal techno/industrial feel to it. No surprise that lot of it came out of Germany :P It was probably just a reaction to the fluffy, melodic goatrance of that time.

As Sherlockalien mentioned today luckly progressive comes in all kinds & colors.

Just compare an early Son kite track to a recent one.

As today's top prog releases are nearly all mentioned here, I would like to add some oldies:

SBK - Treibstoff (2001): This is considdered a milestone by many & was definatly an inspiration to a lot of today's artists. To me still simply the best!

Shiva Chandra - Gecko (2002): still one of my all-time favorite full-albums

X-dream: Radio the beginning of the new style / Irritant: very hard PSY-TEK

Atmos: Headcleaner: the king of subtleness: boring to some people, fantastic to others (like me)

Also an important difference for me is that proggy tracks can grow on you, al most ripe like fruits. Where as a guitar-track or & simple catchy melody will sound great the first time I hear it, it will get pretty boring by the 3rd time.

Albums like Freq or Frogacult just get better every time I listen to them :D

thanks a lot, mates

Im listening to the prog stuff u all recommended and i think im catching the idea, I already had 'colours' by son kite and didnt even know that was progressive (very nice album btw). It seems i was very confused cuz i thought the word 'progressive' maybe was used to refer to trance that changes a lot inside of the track, many variations u know, for example from 145bmp evolving to a downtempo soundscape and then getting faster again, with melodies and so on.. i was wrong! whats the name for the music of rinkadink's rabbit from the darkside then?

thanks again and keep on going! :)

I really dig the lime structure cd by vibrasphere! awesome stuff

there is a new upcoming album from them (actually him.. one of the members quit I think) later this year...

and yeah, there are plenty more recomendations as furthur has said and even more..

btw, as for sonkite, yeah pretty great stuff.. but I like even more their even more progressive side project called Minilogue (check the ´leloo´ track)

oh and one thing.. know that genre classification is very subjective.. people differ in what they consider prog or full on or whatever, its not an objective science.. but there are some ´constants´.. I doubt anybody would consider antix as full on, or astrix as progressve :)

as for rinkadink.. it doesnt sound progressive to me... maybe psychedelic full on or something... its much better than things like astrix or alien project, imo, but its not progressive I reccon

I dig Minilogue and have heard a lot about this Leeloo track, but haven't seen it released anywhere. Where can I get it?

Also to satisfy that uber-proggy urge, I recommend Kruger & Coyle's album from last year entitled Randy Expander. Really really deep tribal music. Put out by ACDC, the progressive side of Spiral Trax.

Also, I cannot believe I forgot Prisoners of the Sun and Space Safari/Beckers in my list. Musts for any proggy lover.

We are lucky here in Canada when it comes to progressive. Just had Tegma recently. Metronome is coming up this weekend. Son Kite in May. Sensient, Itaytaiko and Tetraktys in July. The American festivals in June with top notch proggy acts such as Jaia (has an album coming out on Digital Structures soon).

Just felt like bragging. However, a lot of people here are from Northern Europe, so my bragging is in vain (and not only vain)

any recommendation about vibrasphere? i got 'lime structure' and i think its quite good.. which albums are considered the best ones?

230870[/snapback]

As for Vibrasphere, newport is one of my alltime favourite tracks. Makes me all emotional. *takes a minute or two to recompose*

The ambient trck on Antenna was also bliss.

So far, they only have 2 albums out. Echo is not as mellow as Lime Structure (not at all). Recommended if you like it hard and minimal, although some of the citrucey structures are apparent already. Echo Plantation was massive back in the day.

Now if you like Vibrasphere, let's see, do try Space Safari, also Flowjob has nice tracks in the same vein.

Don't know if I mentioned Kooler earlier, but for some intensely groovy low bpms, get Open, one of the best albums of 2004. I actually voted for it as album of the year on Isra.

POst what else you like, and I will be back with more recommendations. Aside from Haltya/Benza like characters, prog is the only trance I listen to lately.

I dig Minilogue and have heard a lot about this Leeloo track, but haven't seen it released anywhere. Where can I get it?

So far it's only been released on vinyl (Baroque Records, 2004). Tribal Vision Records has licensed it to CD for their upcoming Lime Light compilation to be released in April. You can also get it as a legal download (better quality than a vinyl rip you could get from p2p) from www.beatport.com

some good progressive psy albums...

Phony orphants - symphony

Sensifeel - vision of life

also anything by Magnetrixx, i dig their style.

If you wanna compare "classic" goa with something more progressive, listen to an old SUN project album, and then listen to SUN project "sexperimental" album" you 'll see the difference.

Progressive is boring.

yawn!

It's o.k below 140bpm.... more like minimal.

But the faster tracks lack tension and variety. I prefer psychedelix :D .

The only Progressive DJ I like is Creator from Interzone. Label wise, Nano Records would be my recommendation.

Guest .::E.P

Progressive is boring.

yawn!

It's o.k below 140bpm.... more like minimal.

But the faster tracks lack tension and variety. I prefer psychedelix :D .

The only Progressive DJ I like is Creator from Interzone. Label wise, Nano Records would be my recommendation.

231114[/snapback]

I dont know of much progressive trance that goes faster than 140 bpm... Unless your thinking about progressive/Full On? Maybe a listen to more real progressive trance would open your ears to what progressive is all about. It's surely not about being fast ;)

Now I also find a lot of progressive trance boring and it's no secret I am into the more deep tribal progressive House. But that's a whole different story ;)

I dont know of much progressive trance that goes faster than 140 bpm... Unless your thinking about progressive/Full On?  Maybe a listen to more real progressive trance would open your ears to what progressive is all about. It's surely not about being fast ;)

Now I also find a lot of progressive trance boring and it's no secret I am into the more deep tribal progressive House.  But that's a whole different story ;)

231158[/snapback]

Yeah, the under 140bpm stuff is not so bad. I started off playing this style 5 years ago, mainly as the last DJ of the morning/day. Nowadays I do hard sunrise stuff. Start Dark, end Light. Just like a sunrise ;)

But some of the guys back home in Cape Town are playing this 142-145 Prog/full-on style and it's just not interesting enough for "Night time" music! Or hard enough :(

Here in Hamburg you mostly find progrssive all night! Maybe these guys just speed up the tracks as they reach the A.M hours. It's awful.

Prog is perfect for the end of the outdoor party. Slow and groovy. For night time put's me to sleep!

I also find that people in the Prog scene take far more drugs to get a kick out of the music! Psy beats twist your brain already!

oh, and EP, I took a listen to your stuff and it's cool! You've definately hit the DEEP sound on the head! This is an art. Kudos! :D

Prog is perfect for the end of the outdoor party. Slow and groovy. For night time put's me to sleep!

I also find that people in the Prog scene take far more drugs to get a kick out of the music! Psy beats twist your brain already!

231206[/snapback]

two very controversial quotes there.. Firstly for me as a prog lover I think it SUCKS to have to wait the whole party listening to noisy full on only to hear 1 dj at the end of the party that plays prog... I totally disagree with that one.. Different progs are good at different times.. dark prog is good for the night, housy prog is good for morning and for sunrise/sunset..

and the second quote, I also disagree... I see much more full on/goa people taking ecstasy and sucking on their lollypops than in prog music, for example.. I guess in the end it depends and there´s no such strict link between which type of music and ammount of drugs, but just showing you how one (me) can observe the exact opposite as you do

two very controversial quotes there.. Firstly for me as a prog lover I think it SUCKS to have to wait the whole party listening to noisy full on only to hear 1 dj at the end of the party that plays prog...  I totally disagree with that one..  Different progs are good at different times.. dark prog is good for the night, housy prog is good for morning and for sunrise/sunset..

and the second quote, I also disagree... I see much more full on/goa people taking ecstasy and sucking on their lollypops than in prog music, for example..  I guess in the end it depends and there´s no such strict link between which type of music and ammount of drugs, but just showing you how one (me) can observe the exact opposite as you do

231214[/snapback]

Fair enough. Maybe it's just the party crowd in Hamburg compared to the Cape Town people?!

I never heard Dark Progressive before? Or maybe I have and mistake it for something else?!. Gimme some examples... I'm interested!

I never heard Dark Progressive before? Or maybe I have and mistake it for something else?!. Gimme some examples... I'm interested!

231218[/snapback]

there´s a lot..

just one example.. download it somewhere to check out.. old track, maybe 3 years old, but fking dark prog:

cujorius one - alien snack bar

its in this compilation

231218[/snapback]

Erm, Zenon records is a good example. Owned by Sensient ...... check out the last comp - Intelligent Manipulation .......

Guest .::E.P

O.k I'm with you!

Didn't realise Cujorious was Progressive?

Oh well, we live and we learn!

231245[/snapback]

Sorry I don't see any of Cujoriou's music as much progressive. It's dark minimal and a bit techy in my opinion.

If your looking for slower deep progressive trancey stuff I would suggest names such as:

Inkfish (Sweden)

Infusion (Australia)

And also check out various artists and compilation's released on Plastic Park, Sprout and Vapour. Sorry I dont have any links. I am lazy :)