Tips for Goa

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"willing to take chances"  :blink: .U make it sound as if India is some amazon forest or something.

M'am let me assure you, you will be taking more chances by walking down an alley in New york than by comming to Goa.

232691[/snapback]

Well i am sorry but yes goa to me does seem like an AMAZON FORREST as I have lived and never been out of Australia my whole life i do not know much beeta. For me I would be travelling by my self and yes that would be a teny bit scary so I was telling seraph he is about to do somethinng knew wiers and wonderful so good on him.... B)

Well i am sorry but yes goa to me does seem like an AMAZON FORREST as I have lived and never been out of Australia my whole life i do not know much beeta. For me I would be travelling by my self and yes that would be a teny bit scary so I was telling seraph he is about to do somethinng knew wiers and wonderful so good on him.... B)

234424[/snapback]

:) The only thing you have to fear is fear itself. The southern part of India is safe for a lady travelling alone (Goa, Bombay, Kerala fall on the southern part) but the nothern parts (Delhi, Agra (Taj Mahal) etc) its better if you travel in a group. This applies not only for foreigners but for Indian tourists as well.

:) The only thing you have to fear is fear itself. The southern part of India is  safe for a lady travelling alone (Goa, Bombay, Kerala fall on the southern part) but the nothern parts (Delhi, Agra (Taj Mahal) etc) its better if you travel in a group. This applies not only for foreigners but for Indian tourists as well.

234478[/snapback]

No mate, really NOT ! You REALLY wanna tell me that it is safe for a foreign lady traveling around alone in Bombay, Goa, Kerala? Mate.. please.. this is not an advice to give someone.. Guy, Ok.. girl, no good..

My sister travelled alone all along the coast starting from kerala right down till goa alone , shes 24 & she had no problems.

My colleague whos lebanese travelled to b'bay & goa on her own of course there were people (my friends n family) who helped her for hotel bookings n stuff but she was travelling alone & had no problems. shes goin again in dec.

U think goa is India & u'r experience in Goa applies to all of India. Goa is 5% of India.

Tamil Tigers :D , when was the last time u travelled in Tamil Nadu dude. I'm talking about cities & metros not villages.

Guest Squaffy

Tip #823:

Don't drink Cashew Fenni and then attempt to ride a motorcycle - don't ask why, just trust me please.

No ofence or racism again, but I said a FOREIGN girl, which I mean ( sorry ) a white girl or girl who looks as if she does NOT live in the country, a girl that dosen´t dspeak the local language, that can´t be just from the town she´s travelling trough.. Aw, forget it..

And as said earlier, there are always exceptions, if nothing happens to 10 ppl, it might still happen to 1 and it´s more probable to happen to a stanger than to a local.. so it´s not a good advice to give to an Australian girl.. imho at least..

Guest Squaffy

Tip #1763:

When at a party, don't squirt water at the DJ - you'll short out the electrics and everyone will glare at you cos you stopped the music while you're giggling hysterically - fun though - everyone should try this once.

Guest Squaffy

Tip #85:

Vagator Beach: Don't be a stupid hippy and live in a bamboo shack on the terraces - cows will stomp in, demolish your beautiful creation and poo on you. They might even lick you :D

Tip #85:

Vagator Beach: Don't be a stupid hippy and live in a bamboo shack on the terraces - cows will stomp in, demolish your beautiful creation and poo on you. They might even lick you  :D

234546[/snapback]

lol :lol:

I slept one night in such thing as my gasoline was stolen and a "friend" had a shack there and exactly this happened, the cow didn´t poo on me.. but it licked my leg... uuuh :P

Guest Squaffy

Tamil Tigers  :D , when was the last time u travelled in Tamil Nadu dude. I'm talking about cities & metros not villages.

234534[/snapback]

5 weeks ago!

And travelling the traveller way involves going off the beaten track - in a pioneering kinda spirit way. It's what us freaks do best :P

Who the fsck want to stay in cities?

OK - you get one point for Madurai - great place.

Why are you on this forum - you seem very erm... shall we say... naive

Now can we get back to TIPS ON GOA - if not, go make your own thread on 'I'm an Indian - Ask me' B)

Guest Squaffy

Tip #582:

If you rent a property - make sure the owner DOES NOT file a C-Form - if you get busted, you can then say you don't live there :P

Guest Squaffy

except for the kashmiris, maybe

234251[/snapback]

And what did the Kashmiris do to upset you? You've obviously NEVER been to Srinagar, stayed in a houseboat on Dal Lake, Skiied (I can't spell the past tense of Skiing) in the Gulmarg, been chased by forest bears..........................

Oops - goa tips :P

Guest eleria

No mate, really NOT ! You REALLY wanna tell me that it is safe for a foreign lady traveling around alone in Bombay, Goa, Kerala? Mate.. please.. this is not an advice to give someone.. Guy, Ok.. girl, no good..

234524[/snapback]

Sorry, but I do disagree here.

I have been travelling on my own in India and know quite a few other women that have done too and I always felt safe.

It really depends where you go and how you behave yourself.

If you stick to a few rules, like wearing clothes covering shoulders and legs (preferably a punjabi suit, something local women would wear) and not looking directly into men's eyes, as that is considered as flirting, you usually don't have to fear much. At least not more than walking alone as a woman in London. I would guess Brazil is worse for a woman travelling alone than India. I have been travelling to many different places in India, also in the northern part (Delhi and up in Himachal Pradesh, LehLadhak) on my own and haven't had any problems. The only time I got hussled was by a crazy englishman, who wanted to marry me.

The picture created here of India, is really not corresponding to my experiences travelling there.

Goa is not like the rest of India at all, you can't really compare.

Guest Squaffy

The only time I got hussled was by a crazy englishman, who wanted to marry me.

234575[/snapback]

Oh fsck - was that me :lol:

You're correct there - Goa isn't really India at all anymore - Goa is 'the world'

Guest eleria

Oh fsck - was that me  :lol:

You're correct there - Goa isn't really India at all anymore - Goa is 'the world'

234580[/snapback]

:lol: yes, maybe that's why your face seemed familiar.

Sorry, but I do disagree here.

I have been travelling on my own in India and know quite a few other women that have done too and I always felt safe.

It really depends where you go and how you behave yourself.

If you stick to a few rules, like wearing clothes covering shoulders and legs (preferably a punjabi suit, something local women would wear) and not looking directly into men's eyes, as that is considered as flirting, you usually don't have to fear much. At least not more than walking alone as a woman in London. I would guess Brazil is worse for a woman travelling alone than India. I have been travelling to many different places in India, also in the northern part (Delhi and up in Himachal Pradesh, LehLadhak) on my own and haven't had any problems. The only time I got hussled was by a crazy englishman, who wanted to marry me.

The picture created here of India, is really not corresponding to my experiences travelling there.

234575[/snapback]

And I must agree Eleria, very well said..

It is indeed true that following some rules as the ones you mentioned are very helpfull.. Might just be cause some women I know have had quite some problems travelling around alone, but proably aint that inculpable of what has happened..

Still a lot to learn, still young tough ;)

Guest Squaffy

I disagree with the 'don't make eye contact' statement.

What are you a woman or a mouse?

Tip #3947:

Carry a latthi stick

All female travellers I've met in India carry a stick - it's like a sign that says 'don't fsck with me'

Guest eleria

I disagree with the 'don't make eye contact' statement.

What are you a woman or a mouse?

Tip #3947:

Carry a latthi stick

All female travellers I've met in India carry a stick - it's like a sign that says 'don't fsck with me'

234592[/snapback]

It's not about what you agree or disagree with, it's about what is "safe".

Many people also don't agree with having to cover your shoulders and legs, but if you consider travelling alone as a woman in India, it is very adviseable.

I also don't agree with some of the customs, but you don't change them by disrespecting them. You can talk and discuss with people and make them think about it and maybe they will change their mind.

And yeah, a stick can be very helpful. Also for walking in the mountains in general and for street dogs.

Guest Squaffy

Good words Eleria - I guess I never had problems being a Male - you women know what to do B)

Also - the way some foreigners behave in India freaks out the locals - respect is the golden rule. Have respect and you'll be fairly safe (within reason) - and yeah - kick them street dogs - no room for saying aawwww cute iccle doggie when it bites you on the ass for not being a dog :P

I would guess Brazil is worse for a woman travelling alone than India.

234575[/snapback]

I dont know india, but indeed I wouldnt recommend women traveling alone in Brazil.. I mean, of course it depends where, but in general I wouldnt recommend..

anyway, keep the tips coming.. they are pretty interesting :)