Psychedelic beats that aren't trance?

zee_werp

Hey all,

The other night I went to a friends place and some dude was playing some really nice music, it was slower and more downbeat than psy, but it still had a similar effect on my mind.

It was kind of dubby, and some techno sort of stuff too. Basically a lot of nice sounds and tones creating textures and feelings within you but not full on. Maybe thats what you guys call chill? I dunno. The other day I got Bluetech - Prima Materia and I really like that.

Can any of you reccomend some nice, psychedelic kind of beats that are more downbeat than full on psy?

I am looking for stuff with little or no vocals, nice rich sounds, organic / unpredictable kind of tracks, and I like it with a dark edge to it sometimes too.

Any reccomendations would be awesome!!!

Shulman - In Search of a Meaningful Moment

Dark at times, some beats, slower than trance (almost all the time), very very little vocals. And in general, kick ass

227129[/snapback]

I will never forget the day when I put Shulman - In Search of a Meaningful Moment into the CD player after an eventful night at the old 'ritual campground' only to have my friends look around for the birds. Later when they were in a bit clearer state of mind we went on a hike through the woods while I held the boombox in my hands with the music still playing.

You might like ambient as well, check out the stream on radioio (radioio.com/radioioambient.php) and see if that catches your attention

SAAFI BROTHERS - MYSTIC CIGARETTES

SAAFI BROTHERS - MIDNIGHT CHILDREN

SAAFI BROTHERS - LIQUID BEACH

Those 3 albums are must have, they exactly fits your description....Trust me...They are psychedelic, dubby, ambient and very trippy especially Mystic Cigarettes...Enjoy...;)

C'mon Trolsk, you suggest him Monolake ? ;)

HE WAS RIGHT ! Monolake rule in electronica world...then I can suggest you their other albums, their best HONK KONG, which is simple perfection...MOMENTUM, also very experimental but crystal clear...There is also MURCOF - MARTES album, mexican ambient classical electronica, how is that for a suggestion ? :P

ENJOY...

Thanks for the suggestions so far dudes, I'll be sure to check those out. Will probably have to order some stuff off the net cause the record stores down here are pretty bad. I'm well and truly familiar with Pitch Black though, they are local here, saw them live just the other week - AMAZING! Those guys know how to fuck with tones...it almost seemed like their live set became less about the beat arrangements and more about the tonal frequencies and harmonies vibrating through your body, it was pretty sweet.

Keep the reccomendations coming guys, I really appreciate it!! :D

SAAFI BROTHERS - MYSTIC CIGARETTES

especially Mystic Cigarettes...Enjoy...;)

227145[/snapback]

Me not like, me say you no listen to that. B)

Hey little Cinos, stop sabotaging me....

Don't listen to this kid, he is just the provokateur... :ph34r:

227186[/snapback]

I can't even listen through 2 tracks on that CD... there's nothing happening!

And yeah, I'm a provokateur. Kool to the max. ;)

Yeah, you can't listen, but maybe this guy can...so your taste posts can be very annoying man...even though I like you somehow, you tend to sound slightly immature in your sayings...Cheers

OTT - BLUMENKRAFT

YOUTH - IN DUB

YOUTH - EAST OF THE RIVER GANGES

For these Cinos, you HAVE NOTHING to say to zee werp, right ? ?  :angry:  :lol:

227196[/snapback]

No, except the last is The Kumba Mela Experiment - EAST OF THE RIVER GANGES, since I haven't heard that or the second...

And that Ott is good! :lol:

Didn't see any suggestions from you anyway cinos.

Hey do any of you know some stuff that sounds the more dub end of the spectrum, with a more 'acoustic' sound but still electronic? This one really sweet track I heard had a nice solid bass element, but then went right up to the airy-faries with some cool flute sounds mixed in, very nice.

I am loving these reccomendations, I will be busy listening to audio samples on psyshop etc. for the next little while!

Didn't see any suggestions from you anyway cinos.

Hey do any of you know some stuff that sounds the more dub end of the spectrum, with a more 'acoustic' sound but still electronic? This one really sweet track I heard had a nice solid bass element, but then went right up to the airy-faries with some cool flute sounds mixed in, very nice.

I am loving these reccomendations, I will be busy listening to audio samples on psyshop etc. for the next little while!

227201[/snapback]

Everything Shpongle (lots of flutes and bass in that!),

and As I said before, Hallucinogen In Dub!

DEFINITELY check out Ott - Blumekraft...

also check out Waterjuice - Melbaphonics (darker mid-tempo stuff, darker feeling, big basslines)

and Sounds From the Ground - Luminal (fat dub-like chill.. dont know how to describe it, maybe more 'urban')

a lot more to say, but lets not mention too many names now hehe..

since you didnt specify that you want specifically chill stuff, I suggest you check out some electro releases too...

check out the recently released Chosen Vol 3.. I knew a couple of tracks, and the rest by name, but Im pretty sure it will be very good.. Its a mixture of tech house and electro, I would say

check out Floorfiller Dirty too, for a more dirty type of electro

check out the cd compiled by tiefschwarz, called Misch Masch (avaliable on amazon... dont know where else.. but there are samples there)... fat and dirty electro

I will never forget the day when I put Shulman - In Search of a Meaningful Moment into the CD player after an eventful night at the old 'ritual campground' only to have my friends look around for the birds. Later when they were in a bit clearer state of mind we went on a hike through the woods while I held the boombox in my hands with the music still playing.

I never forget listening to Shulman - ISOAMM on my md while slowly cruising down the river Nile on very oldschool boat watching the sun set over the desert :D

it was just incredible, then slowly the stars came up and whoooa :)

to make things perfect every half an hour or so one of the ship umm servant isn't the right word but anyways comes to me and asks "if sir needs anything" and i sure did.. man that night was incredible.. the story goes on but i don't feel like writing it down right now.. maybe later

actually when i think about it now, "in search of a meaningful moment" that "moment", the whole night/morning was like the best i can think of, ever.. just no words man, no words :)

Thanks guys - I'm looking forward to hearing some more chilled out stuff as well as the full on :)

And to the dude who asked what is a psychedelic beat, well yes I realise it is a vauge description, but basically I meant a piece of music that has a psychedelic feel to it (nice clear sounds, strong tones, crazy arrangements / noises, something that generally 'enters your mind') but something that still has a beat to it as opposed to say classical music which doesn't have a beat most of the time if you know what I mean.