Man With No Name

vancbc

I realise classifications don't mean much, but is this considered Goa trance? I had this sitting on my shelf for some time before I began collecting Goa.

It really doesn't sound like anything else I have in my collection. When I first bought it a couple of years ago I didn't like it and after one half hearted listen I put it away. Now that I'm voyaging into the world of psy/Goa I pulled it out and gave it another listen. I have no previous listening experience with MWNN, but for some strange reason I really appreciate this album.

It certainly doesn't have a 'typical' Goa sound. It never gets that crazy or exciting, but it has a steady beat and I like the understated swirling synths and noises going on in the background.

It may be the ignorant question of the decade, but is there such a thing as progressive psytrance? This style almost reminds me of prog house or prog trance in some ways.

I've not yet listened to anything that I know is considered full-on. Is this full-on?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some releases defy exact classification - I'd say that's one of them. No need to peg everything :) if I had to call it something I'd just deem it psytrance (whereas MWNN's first two would certainly be Goa)... anyway, it's all trance :D

On another note I didn't end up liking Interstate Highway so much... I ended up with the single, which has Axis Flip (is that right?) and it's the only tune from the album I really got into... do yourself a favour and check out MWNN's debut...

MWNN isn't goa if you ask me. Well, not pure goa anyways, it has that semi-commercial sound. Melodic trance with a touch of goa, I'd say.

And I don't like any of his releases anything special. :ph34r:

MWNN isn't goa if you ask me. Well, not pure goa anyways, it has that semi-commercial sound. Melodic trance with a touch of goa, I'd say.

And I don't like any of his releases anything special.  :ph34r:

226026[/snapback]

bah.... <_< Teleport, Detox, Jack-in-the-box, Lion Sleeps Tonight remix, East 98th Street and Teleport will always hold a special place in my heart :lol:

You die now.

226035[/snapback]

Where is the smiley? :ph34r:

I just don't like it. Too catchy and simple, that's my opinion. I'm sure there are classics that you don't like too.

chill out everybody :) , just talking friendly about 'identification style of man with no name' no need to get negative ;)

bah....  <_< Teleport, Detox, Jack-in-the-box, Lion Sleeps Tonight remix, East 98th Street and Teleport will always hold a special place in my heart  :lol:

226029[/snapback]

all the tracks you've mentioned there's actually only one track on the inner stage highway album so ;)

Wel man with no name has created some fine pure goatrance is 1998 with his release 'earth moving sun'...

this album from 2003 has still got some goatrance influences comparing to other releases from the year 2003...

It's no goatrance... but just psychedelic trance... you see >2000 goatrance like had an evolution into psychedelic trance like we now see that psychedelic trance has got an evolution in morning fullon... I'm now talking about the mainstream production... This is a generallity that is for like 70% of all releases not 100%...

conclusion... this is melodic psychedelic trance...

hope I helped you out ;)

@vanbc: If you liked interstate highway, I suggest that you check out his first release Moment of Thruth. Without a doubt one of the greatest albums of all time.

To the question if interstate hignway is goa, i'll say no. Dont know what to call it really, it for sure has some commercial touches.

Thruth to tell I never liked it that much.

Moment of Thruth on the other hand is definetly goa, and a great album.

Peace

Moment of Thruth on the other hand is definetly goa, and a great album.

Peace

226113[/snapback]

It's pretty much the same category, melodic trance-goa. It's not PURE goa by a long shot.

Sorry Cinos , but Moment of Truth  , Earth Moving the Sun and Teleportation IS Goa.

226156[/snapback]

ESPECIALLY not Earth Moving Sun. Or I might be wrong, but in that case Goa is the most varying genre of them all.

ESPECIALLY not Earth Moving Sun. Or I might be wrong, but in that case Goa is the most varying genre of them all.

226157[/snapback]

I think there's is no better example of goatrance then 'earth moving sun' from Man with no name my friend ;)

I think there's is no better example of goatrance then 'earth moving sun' from Man with no name my friend  ;)

226159[/snapback]

I guess that smiley means you're joking. I hope so.

I guess that smiley means you're joking. I hope so.

226163[/snapback]

no I'm not joking the smiley means that actually you have no idea what goatrance is telling 'earth moving sun' is not goatrance :D

not ment in a negative way... there's nothing wrong everybody has to learn :P

Or I might be wrong, but in that case Goa is the most varying genre of them all.

226157[/snapback]

yes i must say that you´re wrong. Goa doesnt have always the same formula. MWNN haves his own formulas and that is present in his albums. Hallucinogen first album is goa too altought is very twisted and strange , but its goa too.

Goa haves a unique sound and twitching feeling. It´s not about the formula. MWNN albums that i mencioned are unique and you cant find that goa style anywhere.The same is applied to the other artists.

no I'm not joking the smiley means that actually you have no idea what goatrance is telling 'earth moving sun' is not goatrance  :D

not ment in a negative way... there's nothing wrong everybody has to learn  :P

226165[/snapback]

Well, I'll just say what I said before: If EMS is goa, then it's the most varying musical genre on earth.

I'm not saying I know anything, but that much is true.

Well, I'll just say what I said before: If EMS is goa, then it's the most varying musical genre on earth.

226169[/snapback]

that is true... if you are a true psychedelic trance, goatrance or fullon lover you will notice lots of diversity within the production of this kind of music...

let's say you're are lucky to be the ones who don't find it 'all the same & boring'...

welcome to my world :D

OK. It seems I've been bested by the Psynews gurus. Well, no shame in being beaten by the best, eh?

Just one more question; how can possibly Pleiadians - IFO and MWNN - Earth Moving Sun be the same genre? I don't understand. Then what defines goa?

Just one more question; how can possibly Pleiadians - IFO and MWNN - Earth Moving Sun be the same genre? I don't understand. Then what defines goa?

226175[/snapback]

it just is... there's no real explenation for that... you just know what goatrance is and lots of goa-artist have created an unique sound, definitly pleideidans... but it is the same style...

they both use pumping back & forward bass lines...

they both use different layers and create full waves at climaxes...

And what makes them both 100% goatrance is the kind of melodies they use...

I think you can find some same melody elements between man with no name - possessed and pleideians tracks... It's never the same, off course, otherwise it should be boring... but the structure has got some comparing marks...

it's hard to explain but you just know what goatrance is & just like nobody needs to tell you what fullon is or not hé ;)

trance-goa, goa-trance, what's the difference? If Moment Of Truth isn't pure goa then I really wonder what is.

226282[/snapback]

Astral Projection... seriously, the difference is so big my mind has trouble putting them in the same genre.

And to think there's still people who say "it all sounds the same"...

seriously, the difference is so big my mind has trouble putting them in the same genre.

226283[/snapback]

That´s why i love Goa so much :) Never gets Boring because the formula is not the same in the strict sense comparing for example with full on.