Tribal trance...

Guest Rain

What is tribal trance? Got an idea off course...

anybody have got some good examples... just started me thinking reading E.P. fauvorite old skool releases...

I know it's more with percussion and stuff (I think :unsure: )...

Hilight tribe is that tribal trance???

Are there acutally artist who make full releases with tribal trance or is it that mostly single tracks are tribal trance ???

They ones told me a long time agoo darshan - digital damage was tribal tance but I didn't believe that... And now it's like all coming back to me and I'm curious...

must say of all genres of trance this one I really can't discribe...

bring up the knowledge :D

yes, with lots of tribal or ethnic elements

good tribal trance examples

some tracks of:

Elysium

Ganga Giri

the whole Bodh Gaya cd (!!!)

Highlight Tribe

some Sonic Fusion as mentioned

Chi-ad - Healing Magic & spirits (and maybe pathfinder)

Reading the examples my idea of tribal trance was right...

Bodh gaya is safe...

ok thanx...

(doens't mean that more examples aren't welcome :) )

Guest .::E.P

I depend how you categorise Tribal. In my opinion I find a lot of things not at all tribal even though people seem to think it's tribal because it got a flute or a few tablas or because the title have something "exotic" or even the word tribal in it.

For me it's got all to do with roots and tribal and more simplistic than most so-called "tribal" trance. repetetive is also a keyword. basically it's music that stay honest to real tribal roots and use the same effect of repetetive drumming as a tool to reach a state of Trance. Many of the examples here jus dont cut it as tribal in my opinion. Especially NOT Miranda ;)

But then again true tribal trance is very rare and most people don't really know what it is these days ;)

I do not consider Elysium for tribal just because I used tribal or ethnic elements. Elysium was and is far too melodic and layered to be called tribal.

But some tracks from Lumukanda and Shaolin Wooden Men and indeed the notorious "Exit 23" from Psychic Warriors Of Gaia are in my Book very deep and repetetive enough to be called tribal.

II do not consider Elysium for tribal just because I used tribal or ethnic elements.  Elysium was and is far too melodic and layered to be called tribal.

225017[/snapback]

well that was my individual thougt too... no layers and melodies at all... but then again I didn't now for sure and believe lot's of people don't... that's why this topic ;)

this sample is to me 100% tribal trance... don't know who made it... it think it's released on goa spirit 2...

tribal sample...

If anyone can identify... please do

well that was my individual thougt too... no layers and melodies at all... but then again I didn't now for sure and believe lot's of people don't... that's why this topic  ;)

this sample is to me 100% tribal trance... don't know who made it... it think it's released on goa spirit 2...

tribal sample...

225090[/snapback]

I don't really consider that link to be tribal eighter. It have too much acid elements in it and using the 303. Yes there's some percussion but nothing really strike me as tribal in that track. But again it's only my view of what's tribal. If I had a link to what i consider tribal I would post it but so far I haven't found a link.

well her older stuff no, but have you listened to her latest album Rerecorded? She completely changed style on that one...

225125[/snapback]

Yeps I had a listen to it a few weeks back at afriends house and I agree that she changed her style but I still would not call anything she does tribal. As I said it's a matter of how you consider things to be tribal or not.. It's like some people call melodic Full On "morning music". I would never consider it to be morning music. In fact I think it's total wrong to play that kind of music in the morning ;)

I do not consider Elysium for tribal just because I used tribal or ethnic elements.  Elysium was and is far too melodic and layered to be called tribal.

225017[/snapback]

what the?

You should really read the titles of your tracks/Albums... You don't consider yout own tracks tribal and you call them "Celestial Sounds & Tribal Beats", "Painted Faces", "Amandla's Voodoo Experience"

so how would you call your music then? :blink: Tribal trance is not 100% tribal music in fact, it's a mix between tribal elements and trance no? If we want tribal music we better buy "tribal Indian music" or something :P

Huh, yeah , few songs from Bodh Gaya are definately tribal. I still don't have their full album and feeling so burning to hear it but I also very rarely heard as EP said true tribal album with repetitive beats and breaking rhythm. But I do find your Celestial Sounds And Tribal Beats pretty tribal for its purpose. Your purpose was to make tribal one, right ? ;)

Plus, Dragonflier mentioned Medicine Drum, now that is some quality tribal psy for sure...:)

Huh, yeah , few songs from Bodh Gaya are definately tribal. I still don't have their full album and feeling so burning to hear it but I also very rarely heard as EP said true tribal album with repetitive beats and breaking rhythm. But I do find your Celestial Sounds And Tribal Beats pretty tribal for its purpose. Your purpose was to make tribal one, right ? ;)

Plus, Dragonflier mentioned Medicine Drum, now that is some quality tribal psy for sure...:)

225133[/snapback]

It was not my intention to do a 100% tribal CD with "Celestial Sounds & Tribal Beats". But yes I did want to have tribal elements in it. But it's much more trancey than tribal in my opinion :)

Guest Astro Cortex

Hmm, as it is the case with every sub-genre, I don't think there is an exact definition of tribal trance, as opposed to what you would just call trance with a few tribal elements.

Anyway, here's some stuff that sounds tribal to me (not all tracks by those artists though):

Psychick Warriors ov Gaia (tracks like Exit 23, Maenad, A Kind of Prayer)

Exquisite Corpse (especially Traditional Ties with Dreaming, Kupuri, Chalice and the whole Inner Light album)

Lumukanda (Araglin Album)

Shaolin Wooden Men (The Hungry Forest album)

Moksha (tracks like Thee View, Thee Creation, Koruna, Earth Drumming, Echelon, Christosophia)

Akasha Project (best example: Voodoovoice, some tracks on Scent of Life album too)

Bodh Gaya

Tribal Drift

Though the latter two are more trancey with ethnic elements, like Elysium.

My favourite tribal track of all time must be: Exquisite Corpse - Shadow Play B)

tribal sample...

225090[/snapback]

That tune is Der Dritte Raum - Trommelmaschine from 1996, nice track.

Gives me good memories. And sometimes that style, whatever it is, just makes all the pieces fall together with exact precision 8)

Sonic Fusion - Tribal Warrior ;)

225060[/snapback]

That track is great! In fact the only tribal/ethnic oriented song i love! I usually hate tribal/ethnic stuff as it is used in much new-age music and i really really really hate Enigma and stuff like that, but the Sonic Fusion track is dark/hard and pretty much enjoyable... a classic if you ask me

don't know this one definitly check it out thanx  :)

225807[/snapback]

:) you are welcome, yep check it out, Promon is/are Swedish artist(s) who won (?) the psynews contest in 2001 if i am not wrong (or 2002), the sound is weird, dark and tribal with sometimes weird singings. Give it a try :)

That track is great! In fact the only tribal/ethnic oriented song i love! I usually hate tribal/ethnic stuff as it is used in much new-age music and i really really really hate Enigma and stuff like that, but the Sonic Fusion track is dark/hard and pretty much enjoyable... a classic if you ask me

226447[/snapback]

I don't think you really know what tribal is since you think Enigma is Tribal. Enigma got nothing to do with tribal! Tribal dont come close to new-age. Especially not Enigma ect whom I consider to be popish new-age.

It's two different genres.

So to use a word like "hate" is a bit over the top. Maybe try to listen to some of the suggestions above and then come back and see what you think ;)