Best Psy/Ambient Chillout

Ov3rdos3

What would you rate as the best chill out albums you have heard within the last year? i want moooorre!!!!! you can never be too chilled.

I would say that these albums are very good (or i like them very much)

Chillum 3,

1st CD of the Tsunami Benefit Album.

Chillosophy 3

anything similar or good you guys like to listen to when you are busy getting in some serious chill time?

UN-psy...

I also like to listen to:

Morcheeba

Pink Floyd

Groove Armada

that sort of stuff.

Un-psy, I say Chicane. I can't recommend his stuff enough, the whole Far From The Maddening Crowds album brings tears to my eyes.

But chilly psy... recent... no, I can't recalls anything.

well, since im not in the isratrance mood and I have no problem with repeated topic (hehe), let me answer for you:

there were a few albums this year that were near-perfect for me

Kaya project - Walking Through (if you like music with a bit more of mid-eastern feeling, nice acoustic guitar, a lot of real instruments, but still nice rocking basslines)

Waterjuice - Melbaphonics (Overal faster, mostly in the 110 or so bpm area, very very nice darker chill, twisted, evil, very nice basslines, never gets boring, excellent cd)

Phutureprimitive - Subconscious (´subterranean dark chill´, huge basslines, very well made atmospheres)

I guess you also know Ott - Blumenkraft.... if you dont, what the hell are you waiting for? get it immediately....

and I guess you also know Abakus - That Much Closer To The Sun (very nice basslines, happy summer smiling dub/chill)

and one of the best compilations imo (2003 I think...) is V.A. Butterfly Dawn...Tracks by nada, tripswitch, prometheus, adham shaikh, etc.... very very nice one, no bad tracks

well, since im not in the isratrance mood and I have no problem with repeated topic (hehe), let me answer for you:

there were a few albums this year that were near-perfect for me

Kaya project - Walking Through (if you like music with a bit more of mid-eastern feeling, nice acoustic guitar, a lot of real instruments, but still nice rocking basslines)

Waterjuice - Melbaphonics (Overal faster, mostly in the 110 or so bpm area, very very nice darker chill, twisted, evil, very nice basslines, never gets boring, excellent cd)

Phutureprimitive - Subconscious (´subterranean dark chill´, huge basslines, very well made atmospheres)

I guess you also know Ott - Blumenkraft.... if you dont, what the hell are you waiting for? get it immediately....

and I guess you also know Abakus - That Much Closer To The Sun  (very nice basslines, happy summer smiling dub/chill)

and one of the best compilations imo (2003 I think...) is V.A. Butterfly Dawn...Tracks by nada, tripswitch, prometheus, adham shaikh, etc.... very very nice one, no bad tracks

225402[/snapback]

thanks buddie. i will check those out. i havnt got Ott - blumenkraft, but i know that it is apparently really really good. i might actually order it now. thanks man. ;)

bluetech - elementary particles is quite chill... prima materia is only so-so.

def not psy, but my all-time fav album to chill to is Sasha - Airdrawndagger. It really can't be categorized, and is the smoothest, most liquid, most beautiful music i've ever laid ears on. too bad after this experimental collaboration he went back to doing more mainstream electronica. Even the album cover is f'ing sweet:

Posted Image

I like Airdrawndagger too, but I feel ensign exaggerated a little... there are a few bad tracks on it too. (immortal & fundamental)

Cloud Cuckoo forever!

def not psy, but my all-time fav album to chill to is Sasha - Airdrawndagger.  It really can't be categorized, and is the smoothest, most liquid, most beautiful music i've ever laid ears on.  too bad after this experimental collaboration he went back to doing more mainstream electronica.  Even the album cover is f'ing sweet:

225441[/snapback]

Well two compilations I have been listening again are...

another life

peace therapy...

very intilligent and motivating psyambient imho... so :)

I like Airdrawndagger too, but I feel ensign exaggerated a little... there are a few bad tracks on it too. (immortal & fundamental)

Cloud Cuckoo forever!

225602[/snapback]

you're entitled to your opinion i suppose, even if it is wrong =) i really believe the album is meant to be taken as a whole... immortal and fundamental may not be the best tracks on the album, but they fit perfectly the state of unrest for the journey that is the album. personally, wavy gravy is my favorite track, with bloodlock as a close second... but i can't ever just listen to one track.

i know some of you must feel this way about other albums.... that they must be taken as a whole or not at all. any album "experiences" you guys would recommend as a whole (one's where you can't declare "wtf is this track doing in here?" and where there is a smooth progression for the entirety)?

tgiam (thank god it ain't monday)

-ensign

BT - ESCM (Electric Sky Church Music)

BT - Moving in Still Life

Not really ambient or chillout but some of the tracks will put you on that chilly dreamy mood.

I fucking adore BT. Thiugh his last album was cheddar.

And why not mention Aleph Zero records' material?

Shulman's second album

Bluetech double album

and Natural Born Chillers compilation

And also stay tuned for a new Aleph Zero talent, Agalactia. He has real talent. Only 2 releases so far, but soon i hope will hear more.

too bad after this experimental collaboration he went back to doing more mainstream electronica.

225441[/snapback]

VA Involver? ;)

Anyway Airdrawndagger is indeed a masterpiece of softcore psychedelia

Edit:favorire tracks Requiem and Magnetic North(!)

its a whole different world out there,or shall i say out here....welocome to the land of chillout

some of my personal favs. with no particular order..

Kaya Project-Walking Through(sherlock alien,did fairly well to say bout the album)

Entheogenic-Spontoneous Illumination

Ott-Bluemenkraft

Abakus-That Much Closer To The Sun

Toires-Majmar n Sanati

Shulman-In Search Of A Meaningful Moment

CBL-Hydrophonic Garden

Stress Assassin-Carrier Track and Within The Office OF Eye and Ear

The Kumbh Mela-East Of River Ganges

Asura-Lost Eden

TIT-Ambient Factory

These album,never fail to surprise me,every now n then.

Great album!

228205[/snapback]

well, i did like Involver too... and i like the fact that he didn't mix, but recreated all the tracks himself in the studio. however, it wasn't original stuff, nor did it have the flow nor fluid feeling of airdrawndagger...totally dif types of music. also, not ALL tracks on involver were spectacular... although it DID lead me to find more music by Ulrich Schnauss...

far away trains passing by is good, but nowhere near as awesome as A Strangely Isolated Place (ulrich schnauss)....the last track, self-titled, is absolutely phenomenal... and puts me in a trance every time i listen.

any of you out there ulrich fans?

-ensign

well, i did like Involver too... and i like the fact that he didn't mix, but recreated all the tracks himself in the studio.  however, it wasn't original stuff, nor did it have the flow nor  fluid feeling of airdrawndagger...totally dif types of music.  also, not ALL tracks on involver were spectacular... although it DID lead me to find more music by Ulrich Schnauss...

228349[/snapback]

Of course its missing the flow,its a VA.

That Lostep track is one the best pieces of music i've ever heard....

• 2 weeks later...

ahem, not really ambient but check this track: Redshift - Mania

I don't like most I've heard from them, but... man, this is simply irresistable.

Especially the first 3 minutes will make you wanna turn up the volume... woooaaaaah make it last longer!! :D

Best chill-out album ever is deffinitely Shulman's In Search Of A Meaningful Moment. The mood it creates and the atmospheres it envolves are simply amazing. I also liked Bluetech's album quite a lot.

2004 was a nice year, as far as ambient/chill-out goes. Some of the most interesting albums would have to be, besides the two mentioned above: Aes Dana - Memory Shell, Abakus - That Much Closer to the Sun, Gaudi - Bass, Sweat and Tears, Youth - The Secret Language of Ordinary Objects and the compilation by Aleph Zero, Natural Born Chillers. Oh, Kaya Projects' is nice too.

Regarding non-psy: Massive Attack, Funkstörung (any of the tracks they don't screw with crappy rap artists), Radiohead (some of their work is really electronic and chilloutesque), Pink Floyd (not all of it, though), some of Air's stuff, and a few more I can't think of right now.