Why did Goa die?

vancbc

Why is it that the Goa scene largely seemed to die? I am nostalgic for an era I never experienced. I can't even begin to imagine what it was like in the glory days from 1994 to 1999.

From what I've read I have these mental images of full moon parties on the beaches of Goa and other exotic locations around the world where you had those sunrise moments when your soul rose with the music to greet the rising sun. I was never blessed to be a part of that generation or of the PLUR movement of the early trance movement.

No matter what genre and no matter that I didn't experience it, there is something in the old skool Goa and 'normal' trance that always has attracted me, so I know it's not because I have good memories of it. There is a depth to the music that keeps rewarding me in new ways every time I listen. The early music seems so raw and organic in its appeal. The layers of floating melodies pull your mind into a trance where everything is possible.

I'm not against drugs and fully believe in the power of MDMA and certain psychedelics as learning vehicles, but my only experiences with the dance scene these days are in crowded, hot clubs with people shuffling around under the influence of dirty E, meth and ketamine. The pounding bass lines go on and on in a relentless beat. Where is the joy, the entheogenic reaching within where you connect with the music and are uplifted to a place where it's just you and the music? I want music that makes me feel free, to be truly alive. Goa has that magic touch.

Was it always this way? Did the scene as people describe it ever really exist, or as time goes do they tend to forget the bad parts and only remember the best? Music in the trance genres today seems to be dark and formulaic. It's so polished and technical that the 'soul' of the music is lost. Did the people listening to Goa become disillusioned or tired of the sound? What caused the evolution?

Obviously the progressive and full-on sound is alive and well because that's what's being produced now and what people are listening to, but I just don't get it....honestly. I'm sometimes sad for an era of music that I never was able to experience first hand. At least I get to sit at home, put on my headphones and close my eyes and dream.

I know that it irks some people, but drugs and electronic music seem to go hand in hand. Does the popularity of certain drugs influence what sounds people want to listen to at any given time?

I want to hear from some of you who experienced the early days of Goa. What was it really like? Do you think the spirit still exists, or is it gone forever? I'm 30 years old and go to some of these mainstream electronic music events. I have a good time, but in many respects I feel like an old wannabe that is chasing a ghost that can never be caught.

Seriously, if the scene still exits, let me know. I will go to any lengths to travel anywhere in the world if only for one time in my life to experience the magic. I don't know if Shambhala is known on a wide scale or not, but it is a three day electronic music festival about a seven hour drive from where I live. It supposedly is a fantastic event and this year Shpongle will play live as one of the acts. I want to go, but at the same time I'm afraid of being disappointed. Apparently it's in the mountains with stages built in trees, dancing in the forest, all night and all day parties.

short answer but more later... I really don't like people who say such a thing like goa is dead,

Goa didn't die... When people complain about the fact that the spirit is gone, and that it isn't not like it was used to be then it's just their individual experience... And it's not fair to set such a feeling as a generallity...Newcommers within the scéne feel the same euphorial connection like I had 5 or 6 years agoo... the music changes off course but mostly the individual perspective how you experience the scéne changes a lot influenced by the longer you got to goaparties... And then again it's not that fullon is more present that all the goatrance created before is lost... there are still new releases like filteria, ypsilon 5, ethereal... so goa as music will not die...

There are still outdoor festival with perfect sunrises in the morning, beatifull lakes, parties in the forest... I think goa has never been so much present before... In my country there a like 2 goa parties every weekend.... And trust me belgium is a small country...

I think in the future we will see goa rise as a global matter with al his subgenres.... The time of rock is over and electronic music concured the world... And trust me goa will be one of thé electronic explosions in this age... Even old skool will have his come back not to worry...

Keep loving Goa my friend.

Maybe its dead but not lost and can resurrect at any time.

Its still our favorite muic and thats what matters most ;)

So you are not alone,at least you know we are a lot hehe

And when its back for good we are all meeting in a festy dance like crazy ;)

Keep loving Goa my friend.

Maybe its dead but not lost and can resurrect at any time.

Its still our favorite muic and thats what matters most  ;)

So you are not alone,at least you know we are a lot hehe

And when its back for good we are all meeting in a festy dance like crazy ;)

224250[/snapback]

goa is pretty much alive check my new thread. :)

http://www.psynews.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=22913

someone once said:

Before psytrance was for people on acid, now it's for people on speed.

Someone also once said evolve or perish they also said the more things change the more they stay the same

and another someone also said:

old psy makes you cry, new psy makes you insane.

I perhaps spoke too soon when I said Goa was dead. I was basing that on what I read here in the forums a lot of the time. It's very much alive to me, at least.

Trance music in general is not widely popular where I live, at least to look at the music being played in clubs. I think that's probably why sometimes I get a bit discouraged and feel a bit isolated.

short answer but more later... I really don't like people who say such a thing like goa is dead,

Goa didn't die... When people complain about the fact that the spirit is gone, and that it isn't not like it was used to be then it's just their individual experience... And it's not fair to set such a feeling as a generallity...Newcommers within the scéne feel the same euphorial connection like I had 5 or 6 years agoo... the music changes off course but mostly the individual perspective how you experience the scéne changes a lot influenced by the longer you got to goaparties... And then again it's not that fullon is more present that all the goatrance created before is lost... there are still new releases like filteria, ypsilon 5, ethereal... so goa as music will not die...

There are still outdoor festival with perfect sunrises in the morning, beatifull lakes, parties in the forest... I think goa has never been so much present before... In my country there a like 2 goa parties every weekend.... And trust me belgium is a small country...

I think in the future we will see goa rise as a global matter with al his subgenres.... The time of rock is over and electronic music concured the world... And trust me goa will be one of thé electronic explosions in this age... Even old skool will have his come back not to worry...

224249[/snapback]

SunTrip is working on an upcoming party and they´re planning me to Live Act on it , so i expect you to join it. Belgium is starting to be the new "Goa" i presume ;)

SunTrip is working on an upcoming party and they´re planning me to Live Act on it  , so i expect you to join it. Belgium is starting to be the new "Goa" i presume ;)

224257[/snapback]

yeah, let it come!!

I'M READY! :lol:

I wish things would be like a computergame!

old skool

blip blip bjib bleep blop blip blip bjib bleep blop blip blip bjib bleep blop blip blip bjib bleep blop blip blip bjib bleep blop blip blip bjib bleep blop blip blip bjib bleep blop blip blip bjib bleep blop blip blip bjib bleep blop blip blip bjib bleep blop

pppppppprrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrruw

game over

ooooooooooooooohhhhh, damnit!

insert coin

round 2! :lol:

blip blip bjib bleep blop blip blip bjib bleep blop blip blip bjib bleep blop blip blip bjib bleep blop blip blip bjib bleep blop blip blip bjib bleep blop blip blip bjib bleep blop blip blip bjib bleep blop blip blip bjib bleep blop blip blip bjib bleep blop

Hello Vancbc.

Has Goa died? And which Goa are you referring to? The place, the music, the party vibe? They are all related but they are not the same thing.

The music is the easiest to address. It is quite simple, really. Goa trance (or Goa Techno as some called it in the beginning) has not died. It has simply evolved. Just like trance evolved from other types of music. I am certainly enjoying the music being made today even though so much is being released that one has to be careful to stay away from the average stuff. I am always looking forward and eager to hear something new. Perhaps the evolution has not been to your taste. Others would agree with you. But not me. We now call it Psy trance and I encourage all the young ones to keep pumping out the music. I just wish it was not so underground. Psy trance is not my favourite kind of music, but I do love it and it deserves more fans...

I will tackle the vibe and goa (the place) in one swoop and say that you can not expect Goa not to have changed. A lot of the changes going on in Goa nowadays are much more bigger than the 'trance and hippie' scene and will (to a certain degree) overwhelm the 'original' scene.

There are many variations on the above theme in many difference countries, places, societies and situations.

Yes, the hippies (or 'freaks') had a major role in the genesis of trance. Their spirituality, hedonism and interests (some would say fixations) helped shape goa trance. But as the scene dilates, moves places and suffers influences it naturally morphs.

It is beyond the scope of this post (I want to keep it short) to analyse the converging of different cultures, interests and desires in the psy trance scene.

But let me ask one question. Is a politically aware raver, high on MDMA, but with no time for the spiritual side that some of the original scene held dear, necessarily a worse proposition than a selfish, hedonistic, antisocial, unwashed hippie in all the glory of his dreadlocks? Please note that I am not making a general comment about ravers and hippies (and they can overlap completely), I am just making the point that you get all sorts in all sorts of categories.

As far as non-Goa (India) parties are concerned: the scene can sometimes vary somewhat from party to party and also among festivals. But don't go to a festival expecting to see Goa, in all its wonder, recreated in the middle of Germany in a summer. Much less so in a warehouse in London.

Of course there are many like-minded souls that you will find in these parties. And trance parties do tend to (on average) be among the friendlier parties I personally go to. But, of course, it is not Goa in 1995. And that doesn't depress me.

You wouldn't travel to San Fransciso and expect to see the recreation of the Haight-Ashbury scene right before your eyes, would you. Or travel to Koh Pha Ngan and kick out 90% of the people on a full moon. I suppose you can always lament...

Final comment on the music: Remember that when DJs Laurent and Fred tried to change the music in Goa in the early 1980s away from the Pink Floyd, reggae, Grateful Dead that used to be the staple for the Goa freaks, there were actually some pretty heated confrontations regarding the issue. Fortunately Laurent prevailed, paving the way for electronic music becoming the dominant force. Lesson: Always move forward. Don't look back too much!

Pedro

The core was seduced by technology. The mistake was made that one could not continue to explore the realms opened by the Goa movement; that evolution required backing away from maximal complexity and a return to a more basic approach to psychedelism. The artists and label owners at the forefront always did have a chip on their shoulder about being the black sheep of electronic music - this can wear you down until you want to assimilate, to create something closer to what brings others greater success than your own. Oh, there are many reasons... but I'd maintain that some of the movers and shakers got tired of it too quickly, and went to go leap on the future train that, as we saw in the post-millenial minimal movement, didn't really lead anywhere. Hmm, always possible to write a lot on this subject but let's not confuse ourselves here - there are less than a handful of releases which you could really denote as being Goan these years so for all intents and purposes the movement is at a standstill. I do hope for a true revival however... let's turn our heads to the long-standing quote in shahar's signature, shall we? Be the change you want to see in the world (Gandhi).

True, goa spirit did fade away, but as everyone having high hopes of its return, I can join them and wait for it to happen again. It wasn't dead, it just shrunk to the minimalistic levels, there were still few goa albums made after that sudden 'death' - Fractal Glider - Parasite - old school influenced psychedelia, Chi-A.D. - Earth Crossing, album that has never been released, and there are few popping up now, Filteria, Amithaba Buddha, Ypsilon 5, Ethereal, so I believe that such energy that goa holds will come back again and maybe this year, next one, we'll have ressurection of some kind. I am still waiting for new Cosmosis that sounds promising as well...:)

Keep The Faith...It is coming !

:)

Why is it that the Goa scene largely seemed to die?

I understand what you're saying. Some people have already said what I'd expect to hear, that goatrance has evolved, (into psytrance) or that goatrance isn't dead because we keep it alive by talking about it, listening to it, etc..

...but from reading these forums on and off over the years, I too have developed the impression that like Seraph said, the spirit has faded, and in my words, the good old days are not the same anymore because the current state of goa is that there currently aren't all these goatrance releases coming out, the mood, tone, keeping it new and alive other than just keeping it alive by talking about it. I mean the culture! You'd think something this special would only grow, and grow, and grow, but indeed it has as more people have become aware of this music, but they're (not all but) mostly people like you and I. (people who weren't around to really experience it and fully expose themselves back then)

I'm sure there are still goa parties, and so in that sense goatrance isn't dead, but on these forums years back in the late 90's, I remember we'd all talk about goatrance, now its pretty much psytrance, full-on, sphongle stuff, etc... and almost everything related to goa is usually someone talking about an album, track, or time that was from 1996-1999. So I too have gotten this impression because when I first heard my first goa songs, I didn't even know it was goatrance! I live in the USA, so who would have freekin known in 1997 unless you read up on the history of goa, goatrance, forums like these, and reviews? It wasn't until like 1999-2000 that I first startiing posting in these forums, but I've been writing reviews ever since 1998 or 1999 in the old reviews section! The energy back then was different han it is now, mainly I think because the music was. Goatrance seemed far more celebrated and special back then even if over the years more people obviously have learned about goatrance.

I am nostalgic for an era I never experienced. From what I've read I have these mental images of full moon parties on the beaches of Goa and other exotic locations around the world where you had those sunrise moments when your soul rose with the music to greet the rising sun.  I was never blessed to be a part of that generation or of the PLUR movement of the early trance movement.

You are not alone. Even with all my goatrance albums, I have never felt really satisfied because I want to get out and be at those places! I've always been drawn to this music since the first day I heard it. From what I've read about online, I feel so drawn to and love the culture, the music, colors, free spirited joy and beautiful and interesting places, people, etc... part of me has always felt so alone when it comes to this because I wasn't aware of where to go back then or I was too young and aware regarding traveling. Its kind of hard when it isn't in your backyard and you're a teenager or in your young twenties. For me I was a teenager! I now feel like fucking Perter Pan, all grown up and I haven't even yet gone to Wonderland. Heck, the only thing I hear about Wonderland is Michael Jacksons trial for maybe molesting another boy, so yeah, shits all fucked up. heh... (Sorry I got off track there.) But anyway, I too want to experience these things and not just go to some night club that has "psytrance" night. I don't want to feel restricted to walls and a ceiling and a bunch of horny guys who smother girls and are only there to try to get laid and drink and be fucking stupid to ruin it for those who want to have fun. I want to go to that land that seems so far away, now than ever before. :huh:

No matter what genre and no matter that I didn't experience it, there is something in the old skool Goa and 'normal' trance that always has attracted me, so I know it's not because I have good memories of it. There is a depth to the music that keeps rewarding me in new ways every time I listen. The early music seems so raw and organic in its appeal. The layers of floating melodies pull your mind into a trance where everything is possible.

I agree with all of this. And why do people call goatrance the same thing as psytrance? They are not the same thing, although psytrance basically became what was once goa, but with a more synthetic human-ish sound, (I mean some stuff from goatrance seems to not even be made by humans, the feeling you get, the way the music takes you away, the visuals, feelings, places, things you notice, etc...) while goatrance did have this organic sounds and something about it seemed to pull your mind into a trance where everything is possible. There was something more "real" and "special" and spiritual about goatrance, where as its rarely existent for psytrance to evoke such strong feelings, emotions, possibilities I feel.

Was it always this way?  Did the scene as people describe it ever really exist, or as time goes do they tend to forget the bad parts and only remember the best?  Music in the trance genres today seems to be dark and formulaic.  It's so polished and technical that the 'soul' of the music is lost.  Did the people listening to Goa become disillusioned or tired of the sound?  What caused the evolution?

Time and money. I think as time went by, time changes things. It was gradual; this change didn't happen over night. When something is new, like a person, like when goatrance was more new, its more interesting because we can explore its unknown; a mystery, and we're drawn to explore this for ourselves. There are lots of things to explore and realize, but as time goes by, things change and people change too. As labels starting getting bank-rupt, and as trance got bigger than ever toward the last several years of the 90's, the so-called evolution was probably happening all along. I think some of those artists modified (not all for the better) their sound to stay with the times, and other artists around them for whatever reason were not making goatrance anymore, releaseing something other another name, or doing nothing. So it was like a chain reation, and now at least there are recent albums like Chi-A.D. and Filteria which seem to keep the spirit alive, even if Filteria is more of that "new goa sound" you hear being mentioned every so often.

Obviously the progressive and full-on sound is alive and well because that's what's being produced now and what people are listening to, but I just don't get it....honestly.  I'm sometimes sad for an era of music that I never was able to experience first hand.  At least I get to sit at home, put on my headphones and close my eyes and dream.

Certain labels began to realize that other styles associated to goatrance and trance in general just made more money than these ellaborate, non-linear, beautiful projects. Although there are still some great, imaginative psytrance albums, (one or two great albums can't revive the past obviously) I think many people started working less to make more. Like why would you spend five or ten thousand hours when you can cut out an album within several months in under 500 hours and make twice the money simple making it more basic? I watched this happen with all of us, mostly the majority off this site, the ones that occasionally sit at home on the cpu, typing in their own country to people they've never met. And like many of you, I remember what happened with Sandman, Talamasca, Astral Projection, etc... these groups either changed their sound to more basic clubtrance stuff or just stopped making music altogether. Its kind of sad, but I'd prefer to remember someone like Hallucinogen, MFG, Pleadians etc... as amazing than had they changed their sound to something more basic, thus taking away the beauty and luster that has given them such a special, flawless and nostalgic place in our hearts.

Goatrance was never fully realized by the mainstream. It was always underrated. If goatrance wasn't underrated, it would have never been as special as it is now. Would you rather goatrance got mainsteam or psytrance? Because once something and those someone(s) creating it is fully realized for the potential, money etc... there are instantly tons of people rushing to run in and make a buck off it, ruining it with their generic imitation groups and flashy suits and haircuts; thus ruining the innocense of something so beautiful and, because its not corrupted ... vulnerable to corruption. I can't imagine how mad I'd be if I heard a Britney Spears Remix to a beautiful goatrance song. And why would I be so mad? Because I know that the intentions of something once so amazing is now being ruined because of someone else's agenda to milk just to fill their own pockets. The spirit of goatrance is priceless beyond anything because its made with passion and love for the music those artists aspired to create.

Good luck finding your dream vancbc. Maybe you'll realize someday that it was goatrance that inspired you to find different and also very special experiences for your time, our time now. Until then I too hope that goatrance is revived by the individuals that helped start it and those who want to keep it real, not ruined. I have this feeling that in certain countries there are such special places that still have goa parties. But these forums are like a window for that ouside world. If the flow or "feel" here suggests that goatrance has faded, well unlike the news, I'm more likely to believe it. :)

Great thread by the way. I rarely write THIS much unless I feel very passionate and strong about it.

SunTrip is working on an upcoming party and they´re planning me to Live Act on it  , so i expect you to join it. Belgium is starting to be the new "Goa" i presume ;)

224257[/snapback]

count me in :D

I think one reason why alot of psy-artist seem to have lost the magical touch is because of the software's button overload.

It's like a box of crayons.

Give someone a box of 15 colors & he will select 7 colors to make wonderfull balanced drawings with it.

Give the same person a box of 150 colors & he will be unable to select good colors, so the work will be as ugly as hell. But after a long long time of practicing, he will also get to 7 colors. Actually then you have 143 useless objects.

You see the same in musicmaking. Their is just too much & too complicated software to understand it all & develop a good clarity for the artist.

If you get back to the days were every sound was made with 1 synth then you'll hear more insight in the sound. Insight = creativity. When there is no insight people will start to copy each other. That will even be their main goal!

It's a general problem in electronica, i have a videorecorder at home linked to a dvd, linked to a surroud system but i never even managed to record anything with the videorecorder.

I've got 4 manuals, 4 remotes & 150 buttons to press. :huh:

ALL i want is to plug the recorder in the TV & press a record button!

But there isn't even a record button! You need to program it every time!

Technology used to make things more easy, but people always want more, more, more things we actually don't really need. This comfort fixation/obsession creates stress & lazyness.

Well, like already mentioned here the goa spirit didn't die completely... :) Not at all in fact, it's pretty simple to revive it... All the djs on this page, just spin some good old killer tracks (like Subcouds On Red for example) when you play next time and you'll see the crowd will go mad and you'll probably get more bookings. Like that you manage to play more music like that etc, anyway, that's what happened to me, so I have no idea why it wouldn't work with others :)

If someone has too much money, start your own label too, and don't think "naaah, that's nothing for me", I thought that too, and at once it was there :P

But the most important I think are the parties of course, if you organise parties with djs playing melodic goa trance you are reviving the goa spirit! (If you search djs... :D) Maybe I'm just lucky that I live in belgium and that melodic goa trance is still loved here, but I don't believe it's coincedance either, there are several people here like me, doing everything they can to keep the vibe alive... And that seem to work :)

And just go out and party with the right attitude yourself, like that you are contributing to the scene the best! :)

If someone has too much money, start your own label too, and don't think "naaah, that's nothing for me", I thought that too, and at once it was there :P

All the djs on this page, just spin some good old killer tracks (like Subcouds On Red for example) when you play next time and you'll see the crowd will go mad and you'll probably get more bookings. Like that you manage to play more music like that etc, anyway, that's what happened to me, so I have no idea why it wouldn't work with others :)

But the most important I think are the parties of course, if you organise parties with djs playing melodic goa trance you are reviving the goa spirit! (If you search djs...  :D)

224493[/snapback]

You got too much money?? :blink:

If I'll play oldschool you book me on your next party ?? :D

lol, no I don't have too much money in fact :blink:

it was just to say that a label is something that you should out of love, not for money because you won't earn any

and actually Vortex, I and Lars wanted to book you for our 1 april party, not for playing melodic goa trance but just the alternative trance of these days (without being too dark Kindzadza all the time) :P But old school is welcome too for one of our following parties :)

the time is now my friend

we are joining from over the intire world

the "good" old days are an illision. very close minded and a lot of drugs.

now a days you can find many different types and classes of people.

all jumping to the same beats.

and a more and more people who come sober to party's.

lesser fluo thats true.

but more back to nature styl.

its good now.

and it will get better.

the time is now my friend

we are joining from over the intire world

the "good" old days are an illision. very close minded and a lot of drugs.

now a days you can find many different types and classes of people.

all jumping to the same beats.

and a more and more people who come sober to party's.

lesser fluo thats true.

but more back to nature styl.

its good now.

and it will get better.

Clodes minded and a lot of drugs?

From which stone you crawled under benjy ?

You sound like a whiny brat....

If you feel evil and confident about it, that doesn't mean everyone else are evil...immature brat...

It's not dead imo. Been to some melodic goatrance parties lately and you can feel the spirit is out there. People are dancing like crazy ande you can feel their desires. They want good music and not the fluffysounds you find at many other parties. We have a good crowd and some excellent dj's so you can be sure this is not the end of it, maybe you can call it a new beginning of something beautiful.

If the people surrounding me at those parties are equally into the music then this can grow again...

It gives me some sense of peace and it feels right in some sort of subconsious way.

Greetz Sam