What makes PsyTrance Psychedelic?

Riton

Hey everyone!

Just a simple question here, wondering what you think :)

So here it goes:

"What makes PsyTrance Psychedelic?"

To expand a little, let's imagine you're sitting next to someone, listening to some PsyTrance, and that person says "oh it's trance". How do you point out that it's Psychedelic Trance, what do point at in the music?

Do you get what i'm trying to get to?

So tell me, in your opinion, what makes PsyTrance Psychedelic?

David

So tell me, in your opinion, what makes PsyTrance Psychedelic?

224009[/snapback]

It stopped being psychedelic long ago. The term psychedelic trance is very inappropriate these days. Well there IS good mindfuckery being created still, but it's not easy to find and the best stuff isn't anywhere near this scene =) (I recommend the japanese band Boredoms for proper mindbending craziness)

But in the good old days, psychedelic effects were achieved through one or more of the following:

- morphing sounds, either through filter sweeps or effects like flangers and phasers

- ...or shifting parameters like decay and release of a sound over time

- layers of sound with different pattern lengths, making the "loops" match up differently every time

- stereo effects and different sizes of reverbs for different sounds to create the illusion of being in several places at once

- cut-up sounds to trick the brain into filling in gaps, and delays of varying length to create sub-rhythms in melodies and other sounds

- hypnotic repetition

- fart noises =)

The last point is quite serious actually, since psychedelia is created through some form of illusion, and creating organic structures with mechanical (or at least non-natural) sounds fools the brain - it's as if the subconscious tries to decipher the sounds and fails, creating some form of short.circuit that we interpret as a psychedelic effect. Todays obsession with clean sounds and sterile productions obviously fails to achieve that organic, mutating feeling and is thus devoid of one of the key elements of psychedelia.

now I'm off to a meeting so I have to stop =)

I think regular trance would sound great on acid too... so there's not determination in that factor  ;)

224087[/snapback]

yeah, but we are talking about what makes psytrance sound psychedelic. on acid. psytrance would sound more psychedelic than normal trance. although normal trance would probably still sound great.

@Ov3rdos3 I was referring to this quote...

, let's imagine you're sitting next to someone, listening to some PsyTrance, and that person says "oh it's trance". How do you point out that it's Psychedelic Trance, what do point at in the music?

224009[/snapback]

you can't say to that... it's psychedelic trance goes it sound great on acid... goes regular trance would also sound great on acid... you can off course say that it sounds better on acid comparing to other music who also sounds good on acid...

mmmmmmmm ^_^ ... I think we've reached a solution we both can agree with... no ??

psytrance is about the feeling , and now that doenst exist for most of the called "psytrancers". and i make ukiros words my words too about the technical stuff. the melodies cut in gaps make a shortcircuit in my brain , the spacey layers (about the reeverb you were right) and lots of Tb-303 sounds :) , goa cant miss the old box.

@Ov3rdos3 I was referring to this quote...

you can't say to that... it's psychedelic trance goes it sound great on acid... goes regular trance would also sound great on acid... you can off course say that it sounds better on acid comparing to other music who also sounds good on acid...

mmmmmmmm  ^_^ ... I think we've reached a solution we both can agree with... no ??

224102[/snapback]

i think its all the things you have a hard time actually pointing at. the stuff thats all over the place really, the chaotic parts.

i think its all the things you have a hard time actually pointing at. the stuff thats all over the place really, the chaotic parts.

224118[/snapback]

:lol: haven't gotta clue what you mean by that :) ... np... ;)

I think that twirling sounds and noises with hypnotic structure supported by strong dose of acid and screaming 303 makes total psychedelic sonic juice.  :ph34r:

224139[/snapback]

i think you will have all that in my new upcoming project....

no more secrets revealed. :)

I always say...

the difference between a trance wave & goa trance wave is:

trance wave : one sound going up & down like very big fish swimming in the ocean....

goa trance wave: are like thousand little fishes who are together as big like that one big fish and al moving in the same direction just like the big fish swims into the ocean... that's why you can have tales with goa sounds... Some fish can be ahead of the group and other are rather late... but you can all here them...

that's what makes goatrance psychedelic in my own dreamy opinon :D

I always say...

the difference between a trance wave & goa trance wave is:

trance wave : one sound going up & down like very big fish swimming in the ocean....

goa trance wave: are like thousand little fishes who are together as big like that one big fish and al moving in the same direction just like the big fish swims into the ocean... that's why you can have tales with goa sounds... Some fish can be ahead of the group and other are rather late... but you can all here them...

that's what makes goatrance psychedelic in my own dreamy opinon  :D

224178[/snapback]

let´s go fishing then :P

as it has been said, a psychedelic is necessary for it to be really psychedelic....

but if I discard that, and try to describe why it is psychedelic..

well, its the fractal-like patterns in effects, the story the track tells, the emotional feeling it creates, the mixture between continuous repeating and always-changing, all of these which seem to reflect psychedelic characteristics (but not create it, imo), and also characteristics of the subtle laws of the world (hahah ok I tripped a bit too much on this one)

btw, whats this normal trance you guys talk about? tiesto and similar?

when I talk about normal trance yés tiesto and stuff...

224217[/snapback]

a small note , melodic trance is newer than goa , goa existed before all this genre , so goa is already an ancient form of trance music.

i like dream trance too , specially robert miles.

a small note , melodic trance is newer than goa , goa existed before all this genre , so goa is already an ancient form of trance music.

224235[/snapback]

I think normal trance and goatrance had the same time of evolutions... Goa as a sound maybe before normal trance but but the concept 'goatrance' not... I think not sure :unsure:

224235[/snapback]

er... no. I have melodic trance from way before the term "goa trance" was formed. Trance as a genre description for certain electronic dance music was first used in the late 80's, and I challange you to find any reference to goa trance that is older.

er... no. I have melodic trance from way before the term "goa trance" was formed. Trance as a genre description for certain electronic dance music was first used in the late 80's, and I challange you to find any reference to goa trance that is older.

224239[/snapback]

i was wrong then , thanks for correcting me :)