How to start a set...

Guest Rain

Don't know if this thread already was created, didn't find any on the search and as far I can remember replying here haven't seen one like this so... :unsure: (but I can imagine it's been done :P )

Which track is the best to start a psy set in your opinion... off course it wont be your 'best off' cause those you put at the middle or end...

You can choose whatever look like of style, what's your favourit... Maybe try to explain why you choose that track to start a set... you don't have to off course :D

I'll try to pick one of each...

Dark goatrance:

I would chose bamboo forest - xplorer... I would change the BPM to -1 otherwise the tempo is too high from the beginning... It's a very psychedelic track without a real climax so perfectly to mix with a more creepy melodic goatrance song at the end...

Goatrance:

man with no name - vavoom definitly... this track is melodic but creates the need for more.... It has that opening feeling, it challenges you for a psychedelic trip within the world of goatrance... The track isn't very fast what is again very good to warm up and wake up the partpeople...

Fullon:

Fatali - solid harmonic seems to me the best way to start a fullon set... The song start with a rather more progresssive bassline wit slight melodic psysounds... Very promising and mystique... And at the end the progressive bassline changes into a fullon bassline (what is the climax of the track) & is perfect as a suprise and to bring on the next fullon kick...

Progessive:

For progessive the first one that pops into my mind is auricalar - money machine... Progressive needs direct motivating bass lines from the beginning to end... bass line is the main mark of progressive so I think starting with some lame and very slow would create dissapointment cause people have no melodies to hold on... the track isn't the fastest otherwise we would get to stuck but is happy... The bass line is not hard but very pumping and the little guitar influences sounds great and create again the need for more... Also haldolium - one of these days is a great progressive starter to me who has got some same elements as 'money machine'...

I'm not into dark psychedelic trance (like parasense and stuff) so have no idea & won't invent one...

so what's yours :)

Oh yeah, the start of a set, maybe the most difficult decision to make when mixing...

For a darkpsy set imo perfect: Digital Talk - Artificial Beings ... not too furious, yet still definately setting an eerie mood for a set with stuff like Xenomorph later on :)

Minimal Psy: Karavena - Space Infection

Full-On: Psytekk - Sonic Pulse

I know it is quite old, but I would certainly go for PLEIADIANS - SEVEN SISTERS, just because of long, mellow beginning that just slides slowly into demented psychadelia. I like it when someone starts for at least 1 minut slowly, just to let the air flow inside the brain s before it hits strongly...;)

X-dream - Do you believe

Nice opening kind of vibe..

Chi-A.D. - Anno domini

Probably the most beautiful trance track, a very calm and smooth start in an old-school set..

PROTOCULTURE - HOMEWORLD :D

a very open track - half ambient half beaty trance - a good start off to any set IMO

yep... it is very true that the first track is very important to a set...

I couldn't say what would be the best opening track but songs that have worked well have been...

Star sound orchestra - sunrise of the third millenium

Dark Soho - the 14th

Solar Fields - third time (a-version)

to name a few... :lol:

For me the start is probably the most important preface, atleast when i play goa out on parties. It all depends on what mood you are and what you want to say with the music. Its not just like hey i pick that track and shoot it, atleast not for me. Last time i did a goa set it took me around 2 months to get a short 1h set online (yes i know this is very little play time for a goa set but still).

I sometimes feel like opening a party/set with indian chants and drums, or just some nice ambient song that i later mix in with the intro of the goa song. I dont see myself as a good dj, but i know that ppl like what i play =) So it all depends on what time u get to play, what kind of party it is, man it depends on a LOT of stuff in my case hehe.

@ oCtodur... safe reply... I alos like putting some original intro's like indians samples too in the beginnen of a set to create some mystical vibe...

I'm really intersted... just an example which full psytrance track did you already used after/while the samples to start your set ???

@ oCtodur... safe reply... I alos like putting some original intro's like indians samples too in the beginnen of a set to create some mystical vibe...

I'm really intersted... just an example which full psytrance track did you already used after/while  the samples to start your set ???

224021[/snapback]

On that party i started like this:

01 - Jaïa - Sommeil Paradoxal

02 - Eco - tunnel vision

03 - Shakta and moonweed - micronesia

Atleast that what i think i started with, i've lost my mix but i have a early version of it and those are the tracks in it.