1. UNKNOWN TERRITORY

2. POINT ZERO

3. PRESSURE DROP

4. DIATONIC SHIFT

5. INTRUDER

6. X-RAY

7. NIGHTSHIFT

8. VOICES OF THE SPIRIT

Here is one very experimental album by famous producer Robert Leiner. This album is made in 1994 and it is pretty progressive for its time. His fusion of groovy trancey beats, some techno structures and crystal sounds gave pretty good outcome. First track UNKNOWN TERRITORY has very gentle melodies and pretty good mixture of techno and trance beats. It is very long, over 11 minutes and it is done like a real journey, sliding very smooth and precise. Very good introduction for the album. POINT ZERO has some house influences strongly supported by hypnotic sounds that also slides very gently, morphing around you and cherishing you. PRESSURE DROP is more on the experimental side, changing the pace and setting for something different than before. DIATONIC SHIFT is faster, with some industrial sounds and techno beat generically changes but unfortunately has no variations. It could have been done beter actually. INTRUDER is also very pacey, having transforming kick that penetrates your brain on lower levels with few spacey elements and nice drum work. X-RAY is the longest here, over 12 minutes and is one of the best too. It has trancey rhythm, some deviant sounds and overall very mature atmosphere. It has constant hypnotic drive but that is soon broke with trancey melody that just floats around your ears giving very generic feel. NIGHTSHIFT is another long piece with more techno influences again. It has some kind of minimal structure and it reminds me a little bit on Plastikman. VOICES OF THE SPIRIT is pretty fast, I was surprised he put it at the end of the album but has nice pads and atomsphere so the feeling is complete. I can say that this is pretty good album fo its time cause it exactly explores different dimensions than music made in that period. This is album for electronic and techno fans rather than trance fans. It is nice symbiosis of trance, techno and some house...8/10

• 3 weeks later...

Posted Image

Good to see people finally reviewing one of the true legends - Robet Leiner.

Also a big influence to me, The Source Experience was the first "trance" i heard. Since his music was known as trance 10 years ago, when goa trance was goa ;) and the later commercial 'trance-trend' wasn't even invented.

And I believe to this day that his music still is considered trance way over later contributions to the 'trance society'. Source Experience music is always hypnotic in the original sense of the term HYPNOTIC, in which creates the trance state. And automatically he was involved in the steps of the psychedelic music progression in the 90's.

& Yes a pioneer of the scandinavian sound, with his atmospheric and moody tribal'istic tech/trance. And the fact that Atmos in 2002 released an 8 year old Leiner track on his DJ-mix CD "In Case Of Escape" should point out that The Source has been a big (source &) influence for the maturity of the sound in this scene.

This album is a good example of something pretty old but still interesting. "Different Journeys" is full-on techno/trance with examples of pioneering use of sampling techniques and complex modular synthesis. The LP-release contained a bonus track called "Gate 41", a pity it wasn't on the CD version. But all in all we can say this is an album continuing nine hypnotic jams which holds a pretty dark and claustrophobic feel. But behind all the shadows and driving frenzy beats & rhythms, a taste of optimistic atmosphere and melodic work shines through.

I miss "Synaesthesia" here, a pure top class psychedelic track from the same year, that only was released as a 12" single (instead). Maybe a track like "Diatonic Shift" could be sacrificed for this pulsating drive, that imo would fit outstandingly well into this album.

Either way, this album is a Milestone that anyone intrested in the psychedelic society and history should keep an eye on. (even if it may not be your cup of tea ¿ - ) this is a mark of Quality, 9/10.

I hope you haven't missed out Robert Leiner's killer remix of "Magnetic" by Juno Reactor -

Truly Original Psychedlic Dubby Technofobic Frenzic BreakbeatTrance! (better than the original)

Btw, also check out his CRAZY studio: http://www.leinermedia.com/Studio/Studio.html

"Robert next adopted his SOURCE EXPERIENCE guise for another devastating work: with an aural arsenal ranging from analogue terror tones to layers of digital refinement, “Different Journeys” and the single “Point Zero” contained the ultimate in sensurround techno. This widely acclaimed album launched Robert on a heavy schedule of live and DJ dates around the globe, which the inspirational “Zyklus” 12” inch has only helped to build upon!"

/ Leinermedia Biography