Fullon Bassline on Virus B

Hello everybody! Don't get angry for one more bassline topic! I really can't understand what's the problem for a long time. So, I have Virus B synth which I love much, but still can't get a fullon bassline from it. I usually make it this way: One Saw Wave OSC, 12db LP Filter, a bit resonance sometimes, then playing with different Cutoff, Env Amount, Env Decay And Sustain values. On Amp Env Attack is about 10-15 - it partly removes the awful click, Decay about a half, Sustain and Release are 0. This way I get a bass sound but it's very muddy and not so powerful at all. Then I begin to EQ it - cut the frequencies below 40Hz with highpass, above 3000 with lowpass - to minimize the click. Then I try to find frequencies that ade muddiness. It's always anear 120-130Hz, then I search for others - at the end I have about 8 Frecuencies notched a bit. After all my bass gets much cleaner - but it looses all it's power at all. So it's lost in the mix! But when I make a bassline with VB1 - it's VERY powerful and much cleaner to so I can do much less EQing. But VB-1 has very few parameters, so I can't get different types of bassline from it. Where do I go wrong? Maybe somebody use Virus for bassline and can help me? And thank you for reading all this shit!

BoM!

don't know about virus, but my advice would be get tau pro  ;)

221930[/snapback]

Its not that easy to make a bass sound. Yet Psy sounds so easy :)

You can't use a bass if there's a click at the start of every note, or I had a case where some notes clicked randomly. If you really can't get rid of the click without slowing the attack, you could make a sample out of it - at least that way you can edit the click out and have a clean sample. Or you need to find something else to make basses. A synth is only good if it makes the sounds you want. If its taking a big effort and still not getting near, you're using the wrong tool. And relying on EQ sounds like its just not right.

You can't finish the bass until its playing with the kick. Maybe you need to change the kick.

My advise isn't technical: Do something else for while, then listen to some Psy you respect and then go back with fresh ears to try again.

B

althrough someone said me that it's great, i never couldn't find bass on virus c that i would like.

Virus is very strange in bottoms, for the gms fullontype bass, get a 303'like, if you want software,

than use bassline from audiorealism, my studio mate says tbl bassline is better, i like audiorealism more, seems more accurate in space for me..

i can't say much about the hardware, i've heard novation basstation when psytrix was playing here and it was perfect, this is a good sure buy for this..

today i've installed the z3ta VIRUS mod, and i found one bass in presets that i like alot, so full clean almost hardware like sound, so maybe it's possible to screw it on virus also somehow, but mine goes tommorow away, i'm selling it and going to buy the Polar.

what works best for me when doing bass is z3ta, almost perfect for what i like. for bass also for leads.. from time i have z3ta i used virus very ocassionaly

First 4 bars is noise bass, single pole filter, low cutoff, low res, low env, as is popular in a lot of techier style stuff.

Filter envelope: No attack, decay at around 60 to 70, sustain somewhere between 30 and 50, release set to max.

Amp envelope: attack between 50 and 70, decay at about 80ish, sustain at about 80, release set quite low.

Second 4 bars, 4 pole filter, low cutoff, res around 40ish, env around 40 to 60, groovier "umpa dumpa" style bass.

Filter envelope: attack at 1, decay between 10 and 30, dustain around 30, release at max.

Amp envelope: Attack at 0 to 12, decay at 127, sustain at 2, release really low.

Third 4 bars, same as previous before, but a little more open. 1 pole filter.

This had a little bit more top end in the attack, and could be easily modified to a melodic 16th note bassline by opening the filter a little more.

The final 2 basses there were pretty similar, because well, I'm lazy, and I didn't want this excercise to take long. Both of those sounds were created from the "- Start -" patch, oscillator 2 was set to -5, with a detune value of around 5 to 16 or something, oscillator one's detune was brought down to 0. I used sync mode, and also Oscillator init to between 1 and 30ish. The reason I used sync mode was because I didn't want that second oscillator sound. Just wanted to add a couple of harmonics.

They're not bad results for 5 minutes work. What I would recommend if you want to use the Virus for bass, and you want to do it seriously would be record a bar or two, and just cut one note out of the lot, and then do everything you need to that particular sample. You could get a much more solid result, I reckon, but then, I'm not gonna bother this time around.

Oh yeah, I also set the distortion mode to "Light", and the intensity of that to about 20ish, to give it a little more bite at the attack.

• 2 weeks later...

If u want to i can Dump some of my sysex to a midi and paste it here allthough the psybasslines are optimized for Virus A ( Cause that is what i use)

but u can check the parameters anyway :) so u can see how i build my psyfullon basslines

Guest .::E.P

don't know about virus, but my advice would be get tau pro  ;)

221930[/snapback]

To make a bass line does not have anything to do with what equipment you use. It got all to do with how good you are at programming a synth!

Unfortinently I am one of those un-technical persons that dont know how to explain how you program a synth in technical terms. I have worked with synths for decades and if you know your way around a synth and know what it does when you twist know A - Z then I will bet my old hat that you can make almost every sound you need.

But a good pointer is to find a bass that are as close to the one you want and then experiemnt with that sound until you get it right. there's no easy way around it. it take time but you learn something new when you have fun :)

There is really not much to programming a bass.

It's really all about what synth you use.

303 clones is good, because they only contain the very few elements that is needed for a bass.

One OSC, one or two envelope followers and a filter is all you need really.

Then is just a matter of setting the filter cutoff, the filter envelope decay and the amount it should modulate.

What synth you use will make all the difference.

So, try many synths until you find one that have a response in the envelopes that can do what you like and enough density in the sound.

Not many hardware VA's i used give that great bass sounds.

I would probably go for some VSTi 303 clones.

My favorites for basses is all on my Pulsar card. The higher processing resolution compared to VSTi's seems to make a lot of difference.

I have the same opinion now. But the only synth sound I like for bass is vb-1. But I don't want to use it in all tracks! No variety at all! But can't get the same power along with nice sounding env and stable fat click.

Yes, but this doesn't help a lot. The problem is I don't get a bass sound I like.

233589[/snapback]

How do u basses to sound then ? give an example of an artist that u want to sound like and i can try to help u out